The case for and against Leach

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm just wondering is this a destination for Leach?

I am afraid he would come hear for two years and say a southern job (Georgia for an example) opens up. Is he on the first flight out of here?

Come on People

Head coaching record
Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl Coaches# AP°
Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2000–2009)
2000 Texas Tech 7–6 3–5 4th (South) L galleryfurniture.com
2001 Texas Tech 7–5 4–4 T–3rd (South) L Alamo
2002 Texas Tech 9–5 5–3 T–2nd (South) W Tangerine
2003 Texas Tech 8–5 4–4 4th (South) W Houston
2004 Texas Tech 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (South) W Holiday 17 18
2005 Texas Tech 9–3 6–2 T–2nd (South) L Cotton 19 20
2006 Texas Tech 8–5 4–4 4th (South) W Insight
2007 Texas Tech 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (South) W Gator 23 22
2008 Texas Tech 11–2 7–1 T–1st (South) L Cotton 12 12
2009 Texas Tech 8–4 5–3 3rd (South) Invited to Alamo* 23 21
Texas Tech: 84–43 47–33 *Leach was fired after the regular season. The Alamo Bowl was coached by Ruffin McNeill.
Total: 84–43

He wins 8 or 9 games every year. He is in the Top 25 5 out of 6 years. He graduates more players than anyone in the Big 12. And you are nit picking? This guy would come here. Who the heck do you think we can get who would be better? Who would have a better track record in a big time conference? Minnesota has a lot of advantages over Texas Tech. There is a solid chance he'd do better here than he did at TT. He couldn't be more motivated to prove to people he can coach.

I'd take Bellotti who is a better coach and a better human being. Or Golden who is younger, smarter and will stick with the program longer. And is also a better human being.

And neither of them will embarrass the university at every turn.

I am neither for nor against Leach. I see him as significantly better than most of the candidates mentioned on the board and a step down from many of the candidates that many consider longshots. My concerns with Leach boil down to the following two issues:

1. Defense- I have no issues with his offensive scheme, but I worry that he will be unable to prepare a defense to go up against the predominant run based schemes of the Big Ten when his D is facing a spread passing attack in practice.

2. Recruiting- The James incident could hurt recruiting, but I am also concerned with how deep his contacts run in Texas. I am not sure he'd get the same level of athletes out of Texas that even Tim Brewster did. On the other hand, the Air Raid may be attractive to a lot of Midwest kids who would like to play in the Big Ten, but not in a run based offense.

I'm in the camp that didn't have Leach at the top of my list. Reading more, I'm now hoping and praying that he gets the job. Is he more controversial? Sure. A state that has elected Jesse Ventura and Al Franken to high political offices has no business looking down its nose at a coaching candidate that might be on the zany side.

I'd take Bellotti who is a better coach and a better human being. Or Golden who is younger, smarter and will stick with the program longer. And is also a better human being.

And neither of them will embarrass the university at every turn.

C'mon. this is ludicrous. Please tell me what makes Bellotti or Golden better human beings, and by what metric have you measured them?

Golden who is younger, smarter and will stick with the program longer.

What are you basing this on?

I'm not supporting Leach over Golden. In fact, I've said time and again that Golden is my #1 candidate.

While Leach is eccentric, he was probably the smartest person in the NCAA while he was coaching.

And what do you base this "bad human being" stuff on?

What are you basing this on?

I'm not supporting Leach over Golden. In fact, I've said time and again that Golden is my #1 candidate.

While Leach is eccentric, he was probably the smartest person in the NCAA while he was coaching.

And what do you base this "bad human being" stuff on?

Probably the same source that leads him to believe Trestman is some kind of creepy stalker.

Probably the same source that leads him to believe Trestman is some kind of creepy stalker.

I agree that Trestman does look like the stereotypical "hey kids, you want some candy?" guy.

But while he said Trestman looks like a stalker, he said Leach is a bad person, not seems like a bad person. I'm interested in his rationale. Hopefully it will involve Photoshop.

My .005 cent.

No desire to see 5-wide sets at TCF. I'm not a fan of Arena Football.

Mike Leach Gopher Coach = 4 available seats in section 243 for new season tickets.

And let's be honest. Watching him in the opening press conference when he takes his first and possibly last Sid question would be PRICELESS!

Agree 100%, this would be hilarious!

Like many others, Leach has moved up to the top of my list the last couple days. This kind of bums me out, because I'm sure we won't hire him and I'll be a bit disappointed. For all those who are concerned that Leach can't plug in his Air Raid system, my question is: don't you think Leach is smart enough to work with what he has and adapt an offensive system that could be different than what he ran at TT. And then after he starts getting his players in over the next few years, he'd modify his scheme.

My .005 cent.

Mike Leach Gopher Coach = 4 available seats in section 243 for new season tickets.

Let me guess you "I'm pulling my tickets!!!" guy?

My .005 cent.

wow I support the program not my own ego.

My .005 cent.

You are such a liar.

Your seats aren't in section 100.. >=(

You are such a liar.

Your seats aren't in section 100.. >=(

who cares he won't be missed, if we get leach those tickets and many more will be gone so quick he won't have time to back track

Agree 100%, this would be hilarious!

Like many others, Leach has moved up to the top of my list the last couple days. This kind of bums me out, because I'm sure we won't hire him and I'll be a bit disappointed. For all those who are concerned that Leach can't plug in his Air Raid system, my question is: don't you think Leach is smart enough to work with what he has and adapt an offensive system that could be different than what he ran at TT. And then after he starts getting his players in over the next few years, he'd modify his scheme.

It is a good question. It seems like certain coaches truly believe in their offense and and want to get a head start on the turn over process while they still have a grace period, so by the time they are being evaluated they have had enough years to show case what they can do.

As a classic example, Rich Rod inserted freshman instead of adapting his offense to allow for the transition. Someone would have to take a look at his first few years at Tech to see if he went through the transfer period or did he just install his offense day one.

I haven't seen any play books that leach has published that shows he runs anything that would be considered option from his spread (aka using the QB as a runner). The majority of his run plays are just hand offs from the shotgun.

So the simple answer would be no, I wouldn't expect him to adapt. I'd expect him to work really hard ensuring that he runs plays from his play book that the team can handle.

Top Bottom