The case for and against Leach

Reaction score
I'll admit I started out definitely against Leach. I thought the issue with James would overshadow all else. The more I read and hear, the more I'm convinced he is the guy. Here are some reasons why it should happen and a few reasons why it won't.
Why it should happen:
1. The student section will be sold out and full. His style of play is a marketing departments wet dream. Texas Tech went from half empty stadium to having two major stadium expansions while he was there. Sky boxes sold out. Athletic department revenue sky-rocketed.
2. We will have an identity. We won't be trying to be Wisconsin West. I know they are successful and just beat Ohio St., but that is not the ONLY successful style. We would be the exact opposite which would make the rivalry even more spicy. Leach was the OC that went into Oklahoma and switched them from a wishbone, running QB team to what they are now. He is familiar with changing cultures.
3. The style of play would attract a new generation of fans. Not that I don't love all the old raisins telling me to sit down and watch the game, but we need some new blood in the stands.
4. We wouldn't be every teams homecoming opponent of choice. Who would want to risk giving up 70 on homecoming.
5. I would feel pretty good about going into Iowa City or Madison with Leach calling the signals. He's gone toe to toe with Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas for the past ten years. He has big game experience.
6. It would actually make sense for Bielema to go for two up 25 with 6 minutes left because we might actually be able to score 4 times in that time frame.
7. After listening to him on Mike Max tonight, he's damn entertaining to listen to.

Why it won't happen:
1. He is too controversial because of the James thing. Seems like a lot of he said/he said to me.
2. He is too unconventional. Maturi wants someone who is "Minnesota-like", whatever that means.
3. I don't think Dungy would sign off on him. I think if you don't trust the a.d. to make the hire by himself, he shouldn't be your a.d.
4. Maturi is stuck on trying to be Wisconsin. I'll say it again. Just because it is working in Madison doesn't mean it is the ONLY system that will work in the Midwest. We don't play into December and January here, the weather would not preclude us from being a passing team.

I said earlier that I didn't want him, but I'm allowed to change my mind. He is my number one choice.
Rip away.

After reading that format-challenged article someone posted, I'm inclined to agree. Good list of pros&cons. I think the whole thing with James was way overblown:

A)if his Daddy wasn't a talking head on ESPN would it even have seen the light of day?
B)The TTech administration was looking for an excuse to can him, and this conveniently came along
C)My guess is that this James kid was a pain in the azz. The whole thing reminded me of the psycho hockey dad whose kid can't skate backwards. Wasn't there an issue that James Sr. was PO'd that his kid wasn't getting enough PT.
D)What coach hasn't locked a brain damaged kid in a shed? I'm sure Woody Hayes did worse.

I'd add a couple of pros&cons

PROS:
8.Did a good job of coaching up, given that he had to take the leftovers in TX. TTech was #4 in the food chain for TX HS talent
9.He's shown an ability to turn around programs quickly. Despite how far Brewster drove our team into the ditch, I could see us being 6-6 next year, especially if Leach was brought in soon enough to assemble his own recruiting class

CONS:
5.Leach was very high maintenance with the TTech administration. Not sure if Maturi or Prexy B want to risk leaving that sort of mess for their successors
6.Leach's pressers are very entertaining. Not sure how it would play with the local media, though, to have a coach who routinely sounds like the keynote speaker at a Tourette's convention

I suspect the whole James thing will scare us off, and you make a good point about the Dungy seal of approval.

4. We wouldn't be every teams homecoming opponent of choice. Who would want to risk giving up 70 on homecoming.

why not? Who wouldn't want the opportunity to score 70 on the other teams defense for homecoming?

Why does he have to pass the Dungy "eye-ball" test ?

Does the University of Pittsburgh have to approve a coaching change in football with Mike Ditka? Was Mike Holmgren consulted about Lane Kiffin being hired at USC? Is Brian Billick consulting with the BYU administration about the possible transition of their football team to independent status?

Gopher fans in general and unfortunately Joel Maturi in particular give way too much credence what Tony Dungy may think about anything related to the football program. Come on Joel, make the decision yourself (with the guidance of an outside , independent counsel to maintain anonymity of course).

Does the University of Pittsburgh have to approve a coaching change in football with Mike Ditka? Was Mike Holmgren consulted about Lane Kiffin being hired at USC? Is Brian Billick consulting with the BYU administration about the possible transition of their football team to independent status?

Gopher fans in general and unfortunately Joel Maturi in particular give way too much credence what Tony Dungy may think about anything related to the football program. Come on Joel, make the decision yourself (with the guidance of an outside , independent counsel to maintain anonymity of course).

I don't disagree with you, but after publicly saying that Dungy "will assist in any way possible" with the coaching search during his presser on Sunday, Maturi would look totally foolish if Dungy publicly second guesses him on the choice. Particularly if his golden boy Frazier doesn't at least get an interview.

I'd love Leach in Minnesota. First, Green Bay and New England have shown it isn't too cold in the winter to toss the ball around in the North. Second, Northwestern and Purdue (two schools we have no problem out recruiting) have shown you can recruit good enough players in the North to win the Big Ten title with a spread offense predicated on passing. Third, it is common place in the Big Ten to build your team to stop power running teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU, MSU, PSU--yes, I acknowledge they may have attributes of the spread mixed in to their offenses but they all run power running games. Minnesota would be an extremely hard team to prepare for with Leach because teams aren't built to stop us.

Harbaugh is still my first choice (as little of a chance as he may be) but Leach is in my top 3 or 4. I'd be very excited if we hired Leach, skimped on a OC (duplicative function when you have a HC that runs the offense) and spent $500k on the best defensive coordinator we can find.

Hey I'm all for asking former players their opinions. But unless they are offering to pay 50% of the salary, I wouldn't feel any pressue to follow their choice. Leach has a lot of positives and negatives. The negative recruiting that would follow him will be tough for a while. I still have him as my #1 choice followed by Belotti. Leach is much younger and that's why I have him #1. I'm not sure Maturi will be feeling much pressue from my opinion either.

Good thread. My $0.02:

Pros:
1) Leach believes in good academics in addition to on the field performance. This is the U and Joel Maturi's wet dream.
2) He is a big name that would attract attention (both good and bad) to the U

Cons:
1) Running Air Raid with the U's recruiting base. Yes, he had kids at Tech that were passed up by Texas, A&M, OK, etc. but still most of the kids were from Texas. If he were to run Air Raid here 95% of the skill position players would have to come from outside the five state area.
2) I don't see this guy staying put. I get the feeling he would bolt for a more lucrative offer at a southern school.

After watching a few of the YouTube videos and listening to a few audio clips I really feel like this guy's "controversy" is way overblown. I haven't been really that shocked by anything I've seen or heard. I feel like most D1 college coaches swear and "crack down" on their players from time to time. That being said, the guy is rather eccentric with an almost autistic personality. I can see why they call him the Mad Scientist.

I don't think Maturi will consider him but if he did it would be a wild ride to be sure.

I'd love Leach in Minnesota. First, Green Bay and New England have shown it isn't too cold in the winter to toss the ball around in the North. Second, Northwestern and Purdue (two schools we have no problem out recruiting) have shown you can recruit good enough players in the North to win the Big Ten title with a spread offense predicated on passing. Third, it is common place in the Big Ten to build your team to stop power running teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU, MSU, PSU--yes, I acknowledge they may have attributes of the spread mixed in to their offenses but they all run power running games. Minnesota would be an extremely hard team to prepare for with Leach because teams aren't built to stop us.

Harbaugh is still my first choice (as little of a chance as he may be) but Leach is in my top 3 or 4. I'd be very excited if we hired Leach, skimped on a OC (duplicative function when you have a HC that runs the offense) and spent $500k on the best defensive coordinator we can find.

For as much as I want Harbaugh (he's really my #1), it is too hard to get him. He'll be in a New Year's day bowl or later and so he likely wouldn't take the job until after then although some coaches have left at the end of the regular season (Sweet Lou for example). The advantage of Leach is we can have him now and he can start recruiting guys that can play in his offense. Plenty of talent still undecided out there and a fair amount of players that would start here day 1.

For as much as I want Harbaugh (he's really my #1), it is too hard to get him. He'll be in a New Year's day bowl or later and so he likely wouldn't take the job until after then although some coaches have left at the end of the regular season (Sweet Lou for example). The advantage of Leach is we can have him now and he can start recruiting guys that can play in his offense. Plenty of talent still undecided out there and a fair amount of players that would start here day 1.

First of all, it is a bad mistake to miss out on the right coach because he is starting a month later than someone else could. Three years from now we'd be kicking ourselves if we knew we could have Harbaugh and passed because of timeline. Second of all, that isn't an issue anyway. It is commonplace for coaches moving jobs to skip their bowl game and take over at their new school. Brian Kelly did that last year despite making a BCS game with Cincy. RRod did the same thing by skipping the Fiesta Bowl to take over at Michigan. Those are just two examples but I could keep going.

Good thread. My $0.02:

Pros:
1) Leach believes in good academics in addition to on the field performance. This is the U and Joel Maturi's wet dream.
2) He is a big name that would attract attention (both good and bad) to the U

Cons:
1) Running Air Raid with the U's recruiting base. Yes, he had kids at Tech that were passed up by Texas, A&M, OK, etc. but still most of the kids were from Texas. If he were to run Air Raid here 95% of the skill position players would have to come from outside the five state area.
2) I don't see this guy staying put. I get the feeling he would bolt for a more lucrative offer at a southern school.

After watching a few of the YouTube videos and listening to a few audio clips I really feel like this guy's "controversy" is way overblown. I haven't been really that shocked by anything I've seen or heard. I feel like most D1 college coaches swear and "crack down" on their players from time to time. That being said, the guy is rather eccentric with an almost autistic personality. I can see why they call him the Mad Scientist.

I don't think Maturi will consider him but if he did it would be a wild ride to be sure.

I think you're overstating the talent that TT had at WR. I'd be surprised if fans could name more than 2 WR's from Texas Tech in the last 10 years (Welker and Crabtree are the two I think people could come up with). The more important piece is finding an accurate QB. Also, the offenses that Northwestern and Purdue run (or ran) successfully weren't all that different from TT and they've been successful. Heck, even if you're right just look where our current WR's come from: McKnight (Texas), Gray (Indiana), Allen (Missouri), Carpenter (Cal), Kiese (Florida) and you can throw Stoudermire (Texas) in there because he starter there this year. It looks like we've proven we can recruit the position outside of 5-state area and none of our current 2-deep at WR comes from around here. Even under Mason our top WR's were typically coming from out of state.

It would be "interesting" to say the least. Instantly gives the program a face and an identity. Definitely be a break from the norm around here. The Gophers wouldn't be accused of being plain, boring and vanilla. He's not one of my top choices, but I'd be fully on board with him as coach. It would be a fun ride.

It would be "interesting" to say the least. Instantly gives the program a face and an identity. Definitely be a break from the norm around here. The Gophers wouldn't be accused of being plain, boring and vanilla. He's not one of my top choices, but I'd be fully on board with him as coach. It would be a fun ride.

And let's be honest. Watching him in the opening press conference when he takes his first and possibly last Sid question would be PRICELESS!

I think you're overstating the talent that TT had at WR. I'd be surprised if fans could name more than 2 WR's from Texas Tech in the last 10 years (Welker and Crabtree are the two I think people could come up with). The more important piece is finding an accurate QB. Also, the offenses that Northwestern and Purdue run (or ran) successfully weren't all that different from TT and they've been successful. Heck, even if you're right just look where our current WR's come from: McKnight (Texas), Gray (Indiana), Allen (Missouri), Carpenter (Cal), Kiese (Florida) and you can throw Stoudermire (Texas) in there because he starter there this year. It looks like we've proven we can recruit the position outside of 5-state area and none of our current 2-deep at WR comes from around here. Even under Mason our top WR's were typically coming from out of state.

Bingo ! Leach's offense is predicated on repititive execution. It's not complicated to those that run it but it looks that way. Exacting routes by receivers trained in the intricacies of the offense plus great timing with an accurate QB will work. Persa's WR's at NU surely aren't extremely talented athletes but execution trumps atheticism much of the time in the collegiate passing game.

Leach's offense is a far cry from Purdue and Northwestern. It is pass, pass and pass some more.

When Northwestern and Purdue won the Big 10, they both had top 50 rushing offenses. Leach has never had a top 90 rushing offense. It is just about impossible to win the Big 10 without being able to run the football. Plus his teams weren't great defensively, no rushing attack and a mediocre at best defense is a recipe for never winning the Big 10.

Plus it is one thing getting Texas kids to come to your school in Texas and play in the Big 12 and it is a whole different thing getting kids to travel halfway across the country to play for you. The regional recruiting base is not suited for his kind of spread so he'll have a tough hill to climb in getting the kids he wants up here.

Here is a look at how each team fared nationally in rush offense from 2000-2009....

Year-TT-Purdue-Northwestern
2009-115-75-95
2008-94-95-64
2007-119-89-97
2006-112-76-52
2005-104-31-26
2004-112-87-39
2003-104-63-14
2002-108-30-53
2001-113-103-32
2000-113-45-8

I think the difference with the Northwestern offense is that Persa runs and the threat to run opens up a lot of space between the LBs and the safeties. I don't recall the QB running that much in the Texas Tech scheme. The spread just gives the QB about 3 "hot" reads instead of 1. Weber might have had Kliff Kingsbury numbers had he played in the spread all four seasons.

As for Leach, he's not near the top of my list and I doubt they look too long in his direction. The thing I'd ask is that for all the entertainment he might provide (both on and off the field), would he be a net plus? He could be a PR nightmare. I know many in here want someone to stare down the local press, but always remember, the print media buys its ink by the tanker and they aren't going anywhere, so they sit and wait. . .and wait. . .and wait. One flippant comment by Leach and folks are all over him.

And he might bring in a new set of younger fans, but younger fans are often drawn to the flavor of the month. . .for a month or two. You have to remember that many of the "raisins" in the stands--especially that set of octogenarians in the Gopher sweatshirts and matching knit hats (the really ugly knit hats)--have been sitting there for sixty-plus years.

I don't put much stock in the James' stuff one way or the other. I think it was more that the Texas Tech administration wanted to get rid of him and this fell in their laps.

Leach just strikes me as a fairly weird guy.

But if they hire him, I'll get used to him and I'll be behind him 100%.

If the Air Raid offense doesn't require a lot of talent at the skill positions but instead great execution, then why aren't more schools running it?

Leach's offense is a far cry from Purdue and Northwestern. It is pass, pass and pass some more.

When Northwestern and Purdue won the Big 10, they both had top 50 rushing offenses. Leach has never had a top 90 rushing offense. It is just about impossible to win the Big 10 without being able to run the football. Plus his teams weren't great defensively, no rushing attack and a mediocre at best defense is a recipe for never winning the Big 10.

Plus it is one thing getting Texas kids to come to your school in Texas and play in the Big 12 and it is a whole different thing getting kids to travel halfway across the country to play for you. The regional recruiting base is not suited for his kind of spread so he'll have a tough hill to climb in getting the kids he wants up here.

Here is a look at how each team fared nationally in rush offense from 2000-2009....

Year-TT-Purdue-Northwestern
2009-115-75-95
2008-94-95-64
2007-119-89-97
2006-112-76-52
2005-104-31-26
2004-112-87-39
2003-104-63-14
2002-108-30-53
2001-113-103-32
2000-113-45-8

Is the mantra you have to run the ball to win in the big ten a reflection of Ohio St? Because they have won the big ten the last six years with a running style? I think with their talent and coaching they could have won with any system.
They used to say you had to run at Oklahoma until Leach got there.

If the Air Raid offense doesn't require a lot of talent at the skill positions but instead great execution, then why aren't more schools running it?

There are a lot of forms of the spread. Coaches coach what they know and are comfortable with.

If the Air Raid requires such great talent at WR, where are all the TT receivers now? Shouldn't there be more in the NFL? As prolific as that passing offense was shouldn't we be referring to it as WR U?

There are a lot of forms of the spread. Coaches coach what they know and are comfortable with.

If the Air Raid requires such great talent at WR, where are all the TT receivers now? Shouldn't there be more in the NFL? As prolific as that passing offense was shouldn't we be referring to it as WR U?

That's the idea. It's not built on any one or two dominant receivers (although Crabtree was pretty awesome). It's about equal distribution and getting the absolute maximum out of space on the field and the talent of the players involved.

It was designed to completely smack around on the weakness of most college football teams (B12 especially), namely, the defensive backfield. By the second half, the opposition's corners and safeties are usually complete non-factors in stopping the offense. If they aren't physically spent by the 4th quarter, their heads will be spinning.

What do you think Leach would have done to this years wisconsin defense? Even with Weber and the gopher offense. Yikes.

I'm lost on the whole, "what would Dungy do?"

I'm warming to the Leach idea more and more, I am especially looking forward to a potential coach's show with Common Man.

Is the mantra you have to run the ball to win in the big ten a reflection of Ohio St? Because they have won the big ten the last six years with a running style? I think with their talent and coaching they could have won with any system.
They used to say you had to run at Oklahoma until Leach got there.

I'd say it more of the mantra of pretty much every Big 10 team that has won a title in the past decade. You have to be able to at least run the ball a little bit, Big 10 offenses are so physical and if you can't sustain drives your defense will be beaten into submission.

I don't really care what Dungy thinks. I have no reason to think he is some expert on college coaching.

Here's my point: the key to the air raid offense from a talent standpoint is a good decision making qb and wide receivers with speed and quickness. A school like TT has better access to speed and quickness than a school like Minnesota does..

could we run the air raid at MN and be cometitive? I believe we could. But I also believe that over a 20 year period we would compete for more big ten titles and more rose bowls using the talent that we have easier access to.

guys, I just don't see us scheming our way to the top. Wacker brought in a lot of d-coordinators who were going to scheme us to victory.

I'd say it more of the mantra of pretty much every Big 10 team that has won a title in the past decade. You have to be able to at least run the ball a little bit, Big 10 offenses are so physical and if you can't sustain drives your defense will be beaten into submission.

I get what your saying, but isn't every team that has won the Big Ten the past decade pretty much Ohio state?

I don't remember who posted this originally, but I too would love to see how Leach and Sid interact.

Here's my point: the key to the air raid offense from a talent standpoint is a good decision making qb and wide receivers with speed and quickness. A school like TT has better access to speed and quickness than a school like Minnesota does..

could we run the air raid at MN and be cometitive? I believe we could. But I also believe that over a 20 year period we would compete for more big ten titles and more rose bowls using the talent that we have easier access to.

guys, I just don't see us scheming our way to the top. Wacker brought in a lot of d-coordinators who were going to scheme us to victory.

In a quick look at TT rivals commitment lists it appears like Leach was getting equal to or worse athletes (in terms of stars) than the Gophers. Leach is also a known commodity so one would have to think that would could attract better offensive talent nationwide than we have previously.

I get what your saying, but isn't every team that has won the Big Ten the past decade pretty much Ohio state?

They've won or shared the title for the last five years, so yeah it definitely seems like it. But Penn State, Michigan and Iowa have won or shared the title a few times as well. Even Illinois somehow won a Big 10 title.

Top Bottom