The Brewster Heartbreak

Tremendous post, with which I wholeheartedly agree. It's just damn sad. This guy had/has so many of the prerequisites/positives, but the one that really counts the most. Sometimes I think we're just sports cursed up here, particularly in football with the Vikings and Gophers.

:clap:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I want Brewster to succeed because he truly cares about the Minnesota program and it's traditions. As a person and representative of the U of M, a think Brew is great. As a coach, I just shake my head. I wanted Brew to take our program to the next level and I really thought he would, but it's really looking like it's not the case. The coordinator changes and changes in offensive identity really set the program back. I think it could have been better if Brew would have picked an offense and stuck with it, whether it was the spread or power run game. Hindsight is 20/20.

I agree.. But he's not the guy, so therefore, needs to go.

Good guy and gave it his all, but it did not work out. Time to bring in Dungy and keep Brewster as recruiting coordinator.

Very well stated and well thought out.

I have not given up on Brewster. To the player, they know they have not played well, especially on D and Special Teams. I hold out hope for better performances starting at PU.

8. Has a GIANT ego, and at the first sign of success, started looking ahead to which helmet school he was going to work for next. Don't believe that he was just happy to be here and wanted to build us into a national power.

Great post BrewsterBooster! I was really hoping Coach Brew would be successful here and thought he had a chance. With how hard he works, his attention to history, and the repair he has supposedly done to the relationship between MN high school coaches and the U, it is hard for me to root against him. That said, I think he is in too deep of a hole to climb out of here at MN. There are just a few too many strikes against him, and the fans are upset and have turned. I think for the U to have success in football, we need most people on the same page and pulling together, and I don't see that right now.

I think Coach Brew 2.0, if he gets a chance at a smaller school, will be much improved. I think there was way too much learning on the job in the first few years here with all of the changing schemes and lack of continuity with coordinators etc. He ran his mouth a little too much in regards to hyping a few recruits without their play, or the team via wins, being able to back it up, although I think to a certain extent it needed to be done to fire up and capture the attention of the non-diehard fans. I think many of the mistakes wouldn't be made if he gets another head coaching job somewhere.

He's certainly done some good things (hell, we had only one loss, @ tOSU with a BS fumble call by the ref, and were ranked 20th under Brew before the NW game), but he's had his bad moments too. I can't remember how many Wiscy fans I talked with last weekend were almost sorry for us that Cosgrove is on our staff.

Thanks for your post. Agree with most everything you have said. I really wanted Brew to succeed. I have come to the point that I don't believe he is the guy. As often as I am wrong that may be a good sign:)

Good guy and gave it his all, but it did not work out. Time to bring in Dungy and keep Brewster as recruiting coordinator.

and maybe Mason will come back to be the running game coordinator

Agree with most of what you said. Thought he could have done better with the local press, but it's difficult to do that when the first salvos after your hiring all decry the fact that you got the job. Still, the "Fat Pat" text was out of line.

I've never questioned his commitment though.

8. Has a GIANT ego, and at the first sign of success, started looking ahead to which helmet school he was going to work for next. Don't believe that he was just happy to be here and wanted to build us into a national power.

This thread is talking about Brewster not Mason, but thanks.

Let's not get carried away. The guy started looking for another job when we were 7-1.

Nicely done. I'm bemused by the recruiting part though. It seems that the same people who are saying that Brewster did a lousy job as a recruiter are saying not to worry about the new coach because he will have plenty of talent to work with!:D

Agree with most of what you said. Thought he could have done better with the local press, but it's difficult to do that when the first salvos after your hiring all decry the fact that you got the job. Still, the "Fat Pat" text was out of line.

I've never questioned his commitment though.

Agree with you. Everything else he's done, I can't really fault him for. He tried, but trying is the first step towards failure. Dealing with the "media jackyls" in this town was probably a part of the gig that Brewster didn't really anticipate.

Brewster is:

6 wins and 20 losses in Big Ten play. He has led us to 0 wins and 7 losses in 7 attempts against Wisconsin and Iowa. Those are the facts. I am very sad about the state of Golden Gopher Football. I blame Maturi and Prexy B. much more than I blame Brewster. Brewster did not hire himself and renew his own contract. Some say Brewster is a very nice man. I don't question that. I'm sure that he can be a very nice man.

I want to see the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers win Big Ten football games. That is not happening with Brewster. Brewster can only be judged by his Big Ten won/loss record. Brewster up to this date is a .23076 coach in the Big Ten. Where does that rank him among the current Big Ten coaches that he competes against? Brewster is quite a talker, but, I find him very hard to listen to. You see, I try to match his words with what I see happening in Big Ten play. His record is not congruent with what his words say.

Brewster IS what his Big Ten record of wins vs. losses is. No more. No less.

I wish he would succeed, because it would be an enormous f-u to badger and suckeye fans.

This thread is talking about Brewster not Mason, but thanks.

Mason started flirting in year 5 with his alma mater. Brew pathetically started boasting about upgrading in year 1.7. But thanks.

Excellent post. Although it now looks bleaker than at the start of the season, there is still time to turn it around.

Mason started flirting in year 5 with his alma mater. Brew pathetically started boasting about upgrading in year 1.7. But thanks.

So you don't remember Mason looking at the Michigan State and Louisiana State jobs the first moment he had success here in 1999? His famous "if the phone rings, I'll answer it" quote?

6 wins and 20 losses in Big Ten play. He has led us to 0 wins and 7 losses in 7 attempts against Wisconsin and Iowa. Those are the facts. I am very sad about the state of Golden Gopher Football. I blame Maturi and Prexy B. much more than I blame Brewster. Brewster did not hire himself and renew his own contract. Some say Brewster is a very nice man. I don't question that. I'm sure that he can be a very nice man.

I want to see the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers win Big Ten football games. That is not happening with Brewster. Brewster can only be judged by his Big Ten won/loss record. Brewster up to this date is a .23076 coach in the Big Ten. Where does that rank him among the current Big Ten coaches that he competes against? Brewster is quite a talker, but, I find him very hard to listen to. You see, I try to match his words with what I see happening in Big Ten play. His record is not congruent with what his words say.

Brewster IS what his Big Ten record of wins vs. losses is. No more. No less.

That's not what the OP is talking about but thanks for pushing your agenda.

So you don't remember Mason looking at the Michigan State and Louisiana State jobs the first moment he had success here in 1999? His famous "if the phone rings, I'll answer it" quote?

Ah yes, I stand corrected, I had forgotten that. Still, that would have been year 3? Both are unacceptable, Brew's is just more pathetic and embarrassing.

So, you don't recall the scandal that RACKED the University of Minnesota....

academic programs and athletic department in 1999? That's right, the Haskin's scandal hit the campus. I still recall being at the Sun Bowl game when the Oregon fans started chanting "who writes your papers?" to our football team. Of course Tonya M Brown was the acting athletic director and things were very bleak for the entire athletic department. Finally, after MSU and LSU started contacting Mason, Prexy Y did a VERY "prexy-ish" thing and brought in Tom Moe to take over the Men's athletic department AND extended Mason's contract. They assured him that the entire athletic department was NOT going to be shut down. You MUST remember that 2727. The University of Minnesota athletic department was a disaster at that moment in time. (Thanks to clem and his academic fraud accomplishments.)

To some of you people, that was all ancient history and Mason was merely looking for a way away from here. That was NOT the case at all. All hell was breakiing loose at Minnesota. MSU was about to enter a very shakey period as well with their own problems within their football program. LSU ended up taking Sabin from MSU, I believe. That worked out pretty well for Sabin, who had the same agent as Mason (Neil Cornrich.)

Look at EVERYTHING going on at the U and around the college football scene. It is NOT as simple as some would try to make it in hind-sight. There were things going on that went WAY beyond Mason's "loyalty."

But, any way you look at things: right now, in 2010, our Golden Gopher Football Program is suffering a world of hurt. I am NOT happy with where the Gopher Football Program is today.

academic programs and athletic department in 1999? That's right, the Haskin's scandal hit the campus. I still recall being at the Sun Bowl game when the Oregon fans started chanting "who writes your papers?" to our football team. Of course Tonya M Brown was the acting athletic director and things were very bleak for the entire athletic department. Finally, after MSU and LSU started contacting Mason, Prexy Y did a VERY "prexy-ish" thing and brought in Tom Moe to take over the Men's athletic department AND extended Mason's contract. They assured him that the entire athletic department was NOT going to be shut down. You MUST remember that 2727. The University of Minnesota athletic department was a disaster at that moment in time. (Thanks to clem and his academic fraud accomplishments.)

To some of you people, that was all ancient history and Mason was merely looking for a way away from here. That was NOT the case at all. All hell was breakiing loose at Minnesota. MSU was about to enter a very shakey period as well with their own problems within their football program. LSU ended up taking Sabin from MSU, I believe. That worked out pretty well for Sabin, who had the same agent as Mason (Neil Cornrich.)

Look at EVERYTHING going on at the U and around the college football scene. It is NOT as simple as some would try to make it in hind-sight. There were things going on that went WAY beyond Mason's "loyalty."

But, any way you look at things: right now, in 2010, our Golden Gopher Football Program is suffering a world of hurt. I am NOT happy with where the Gopher Football Program is today.

The basketball program was in a state of disarray. Only a fool thought the entire athletic department would be shut down. Could I also get a definition of "prexy-ish". Thanks. It worked out well for Saban because he is an elite college football coach. At least you can admit that Mason had no loyalty.

"prexy = "old school" term of endearment for the president of a university/company, etc.

"prexy-ish" equals "presidential"

Having the entire structure of the Men's Athletic department being torn down does represent a huge threat to the football program. Mac Boston and Mark Dienart were removed and a vice-president and "trouble-shooter" for Prexy Y was in charge of Men's Athletics. ANY football person would have been feeling pretty abandoned in a time of crisis by the moves that were happening on an hourly and daily basis at the University of Minnesota. Don't kid yourself, the entire academic structure at the U of M took hard and heavy hits when the academic fraud scandal hit the Unviersity. A University has NOTHING if it can not insure academic integrity. Rampant and systematic cheating scandals threaten every academic departments national standing and reputation. It is up to the academic chairs to INSURE that no academic cheating goes on for such a long period of time. Those were pertty shakey days for the entire University of Minnesota system's reputation and standing. It was ugly...ugly and even MORE ugly.

2727 decided to open this to discussion. Thank you for your interest Silvio!

Top Bottom