The band

bigkahunaiii

Surfer Dude
Reaction score
Has played more tonight than the last three games combined. Could they have been reading the GopherHole?

Has played more tonight than the last three games combined. Could they have been reading the GopherHole?

Maybe so, but also I know Maturi does, so he passed the message... LET THE BAND PLAY ALL THEY GOD DAMNED WANT!!!

Love it that they play the natl anthem and we cAN SING ALONG!

The band plays as much as marketing allows them to. Thank marketing for taking care of many of the promotions during halftime so that the 2nd half was relatively uninterrupted and they were allowed to play.

They might have read Gopherhole, but it doesn't make a bit of difference.

The band is completely controlled by the Gopher Athletic Department, who runs the activities/promotions during each Media Timeout.

The band plays as much as marketing allows them to. Thank marketing for taking care of many of the promotions during halftime so that the 2nd half was relatively uninterrupted and they were allowed to play.

I can verify that Marketing does read GopherHole. We actually have a marketing person that is a U of MN grad, and is very passionate about the Gophers. She is always trying to improve gameday activities, but has to jump through a lot of hoops (I can vouch for that, as it was almost impossible to get anything changed with athletics).

So, yes - please keep on voicing your opinions, but it's always better when they're constructive and you give ideas on ways to improve - not just "this sucks."

Yeah I got news for you--having talked to Amanda the marketing director for basketball she's plenty aware of the criticisms of marketing and the band (in terms of having way too many promos and not enough band). They've made an effort to allow the band to play more, while still getting in all their contractually obligated marketing promotions. She also noted that if the Gophs were Top 25 and on their way to the tourney, that we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

She also noted that if the Gophs were Top 25 and on their way to the tourney, that we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I realize it wasn't your comment, but I guess I don't understand it. Why not? Either way, I can't stand the disrupted atmosphere. So the team is better. So what? I think she is just wrong and that is part of the problem. Why would anyone want to dull the atmosphere in The Barn? Or allow it to be dulled, since people won't really complain as long as the team is good?? That's a view that leads to mediocrity - which is where we are headed (atmosphere-wise, that is).

Sad.

I think her argument was that generally when things are going poorly people find more to complain about. Yes marketing does kill the atmosphere a lot of the time (all the time) but it's exacerbated by the fact that we're not doing as well as we could/should be. If we're winning, people are happier, people are complaining about less. If we're losing, people say "well, shoot, if the atmosphere were better, we may have been able to beat MSU or Michigan--let's blame marketing!"

I realize it wasn't your comment, but I guess I don't understand it. Why not? Either way, I can't stand the disrupted atmosphere. So the team is better. So what? I think she is just wrong and that is part of the problem. Why would anyone want to dull the atmosphere in The Barn? Or allow it to be dulled, since people won't really complain as long as the team is good?? That's a view that leads to mediocrity - which is where we are headed (atmosphere-wise, that is).

Sad.

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Slice it anyway you want but detracting from the game day atmosphere for any lame promo is just plain wrong and stupid. It is also a factor that can be controlled.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think her argument was that generally when things are going poorly people find more to complain about. Yes marketing does kill the atmosphere a lot of the time (all the time) but it's exacerbated by the fact that we're not doing as well as we could/should be. If we're winning, people are happier, people are complaining about less. If we're losing, people say "well, shoot, if the atmosphere were better, we may have been able to beat MSU or Michigan--let's blame marketing!"

Yeah, I think you are absolutely right. We can screw up the atmosphere as long as the team is good. <b>Bad policy.</b>

_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Are you having a little trouble using your words today PBTT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awag777
She also noted that if the Gophs were Top 25 and on their way to the tourney, that we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

First of all that statement is false. Secondly; I don't know the lady but that is a total moronic statement and shows a true lack of understanding.

Didn't say I necessarily agreed with her.

Slice it anyway you want but detracting from the game day atmosphere for any lame promo is just plain wrong and stupid. It is also a factor that can be controlled.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It may be, but let's face it - those promos mean $ for the U, and until we are a huge powerhouse with so much booster support we don't need it - we need sponsors. I certainly believe the promos can be improved upon so they are more energetic and fun (and not a huge crowd kill).

It may be, but let's face it - those promos mean $ for the U, and until we are a huge powerhouse with so much booster support we don't need it - we need sponsors. I certainly believe the promos can be improved upon so they are more energetic and fun (and not a huge crowd kill).

With respect, GL: I would think that by maximizing season ticket sales this would facilitate maximizing both $$ from ticket sales and $$ from sponsors. Each season ticket is about $650 + concessions, parking, etc. Also, more butts in the seats adds value to any promotional thing.

So there is a balance point. Right now, with the huge loss of season tickets during the Monson era, the emphasis should be on regaining a loyal fan base. You aren't going to do that if half the show is an advertisement.

Long-term thinking vs. short-term.

Obviously it's about dollars but how much can they bring in. It's in house advertising only. No TV or radio money. Be creative find another way.

TV money can move game days and times. Don't let small time money destroy game day atmosphere for the fans and players.

It's really scary that she thinks that it would be OK if we were a top 25 team.

With respect, GL: I would think that by maximizing season ticket sales this would facilitate maximizing both $$ from ticket sales and $$ from sponsors. Each season ticket is about $650 + concessions, parking, etc. Also, more butts in the seats adds value to any promotional thing.

So there is a balance point. Right now, with the huge loss of season tickets during the Monson era, the emphasis should be on regaining a loyal fan base. You aren't going to do that if half the show is an advertisement.

Long-term thinking vs. short-term.

Oh, there's no doubt about that - they have always (and I'm not talking about our current person) short term thinking in mind. They do not appreciate the die-hard fans and long term ticket holders in anyway, shape, or form. When things are good, like right when they got Tubby - they could care less about the fans. When things were bad with Monson, they were doing anything to get people to The Barn. They don't seem to understand if you just appreciate your fans when the times are good, they're more likely to stick around when things are bad...but I could go on and on with that...

I do want to say they have 10-11K in season ticket holders right now - and the bball program made a lot more than they expected with Tubby. They don't have that many more tickets to sell - and I have no clue how much they make from promotions, but I'm guessing (hoping) it's a lot. Every school has promotions and advertisers, it is about a balance. I don't feel like they're losing season ticket holders because of some dead time in timeouts, they are losing them due to many other reasons.

Yeah I got news for you--having talked to Amanda the marketing director for basketball she's plenty aware of the criticisms of marketing and the band (in terms of having way too many promos and not enough band). They've made an effort to allow the band to play more, while still getting in all their contractually obligated marketing promotions. She also noted that if the Gophs were Top 25 and on their way to the tourney, that we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

This comment didn't make much sense to me either, so I asked her about it. What she said was that, if we were performing better, maybe people would be enjoying the promotions more - but they could still be viewed as an atmosphere killer. She never said that if we were winning that one one would care, or that we wouldn't have to have promos if we were a Top 25 team.

I completely see her point - when you're winning, and so excited about the game, you don't really nitpick or notice as many of the small things. I know during the Michigan game, I personally noticed the promos a lot more...but there wasn't much to enjoy during that game.

I hope that clarifies.

I hope that clarifies.

Uh, yeah. Clear as mud.

I'm a huge fan and have spent plenty on tickets in my lifetime. Let Amanda know if they get a team in the top 25 for more than 3 weeks in the past 15 years that I'll consider stopping the nitpicking. As it is, they better be doing everything they can to re-build the fan base that Clem's stupidity eroded, Monson's underachieving in all areas destroyed, and a season of disappointment is threatening to again derail.

Figure out a way to appreciate your season ticket holders. They are the economic lifeblood of the program. The best "teams" are extra critical of themselves when times are good. Everything matters. Most obviously, don't dismiss something as unimportant if someone is complaining about it, no matter when. For every complaint you hear, there are probably 50 others thinking it, but not saying it.

p.s. If you get a wraparound digital scoreboard, please cancel my season tickets.

Top Bottom