That was a tough one.....Mentally tough

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
That might be one of the toughest losses I've seen in a few years. I have waited to post because emotions were all over the place last night.

I just cannot bring myself to place blame in one area, like some of you do(coach). This team is not mentally tough, not just one player, but the entire team. It's easy to see what went wrong on the court, missed opportunities, missed calls and "shoulda woulda couldas" But it takes 18-22 year young men to execute and a coach to give them direction. It is not one thing or one person.

Those of you that bad mouth, insult, and over criticize coach, make yourselves look ….well immature and childish.

I will place my trust in Coyle and he can make the decision. Until then Go Gophers and Go Pitino!!! I wish them the best every game.

Haha. You put the majority of blame on the players and others are immature and childish? You're a clown; one of those guys who has such low expectations that you get stuck in mediocrity. This isn't about 1 or 2 games. It's about 7 years of this garbage. People that have actually played the game know Lil' Ricky is an awful bench coach and does not instill confidence in his players. No doubt it's time for a change. And I think very few if any are cheering against this time to win- I know I'm not but the incompetence shown by this regime is sickening.

Haha. You put the majority of blame on the players and others are immature and childish? You're a clown; one of those guys who has such low expectations that you get stuck in mediocrity. This isn't about 1 or 2 games. It's about 7 years of this garbage. People that have actually played the game know Lil' Ricky is an awful bench coach and does not instill confidence in his players. No doubt it's time for a change. And I think very few if any are cheering against this time to win- I know I'm not but the incompetence shown by this regime is sickening.

Hahaha!!!

Seriously. What is Grandpabbdude rambling about? Seems to be angry about about kids skateboarding on sidewalks while he is.

You have to be mentally tough enough as a fan to accept facts when they're obvious, and demand more from your program.

Or this is all you'll ever get.
Minnesota fans are way too nice. Can you imagine if Pitino was coaching at a major university right now and the overwhelming heat he would be taking? I shudder to think what he would be going through from the fans at the University of Kentucky, Michigan, Louisville etc. They would be throwing garbage on the front lawn or making death threats.

I certainly do not advocate any of that - let's do this in a civil fashion. This just didn't work out.

The OP might want to make up one of his fictional stories. You know like the Gophers have actually made 3 straight NCAA Tourneys.

Come up with another fake narrative. Something along the lines of they haven't had multiple epic meltdowns and have already locked up a 4th straight NCAA Tourney bid. Make it a fictional narrative that can't be overlooked.

Look, what irks me to no end is the acceptance of mediocrity by fans, coaches and players in this game.

To be a team that wins regularly, and does not want to depend on their opponents breaking down, you need to have these kind of scoring percentages.

Field goals 70% (minimum)
Three pointers 45% (minimum)
Free throws 80% (minimum)

Twenty years ago, these scoring percentages would not get you more than a sniff from the NBA draft. If you want to make it to the next level, then you need to be aiming at what the next level looks for.

One thing that blew me away, about both teams, last night was how many "layups" or shots within three feet of the basket were missed, and missed with no opponent within half an arm's length.

Look, what irks me to no end is the acceptance of mediocrity by fans, coaches and players in this game.

To be a team that wins regularly, and does not want to depend on their opponents breaking down, you need to have these kind of scoring percentages.

Twenty years ago, these scoring percentages would not get you more than a sniff from the NBA draft. If you want to make it to the next level, then you need to be aiming at what the next level looks for.

One thing that blew me away, about both teams, last night was how many "layups" or shots within three feet of the basket were missed, and missed with no opponent within half an arm's length.
No team in the history of the game will shoot 70% from the field 45% from 3

I do admire Pitino for never throwing his kids under the bus. They are most likely embarrassed and lack confidence after another epic choke job. I’m surprised Kalscheur didn’t pass out at the free throw line he was choking so badly. This game compounded with the Iowa and Indiana games are commonplace for this collection of Gophers. I guess that Ultimately falls on Pitino and recruiting.

Try something like 45%, 37%, and 72% as team averages.

This team chokes. Hope it is just youthfulness and they can grow beyond it, but man is it tough to watch now. Just knowing they will give it away all too often. Passes to no one, not running offense, missed free throws, not rebounding...time after time it ends with us losing a game we had won if we only execute.

Wait, you expect a team to shoot 70% from the field?

That might be one of the toughest losses I've seen in a few years. I have waited to post because emotions were all over the place last night.

I just cannot bring myself to place blame in one area, like some of you do(coach). This team is not mentally tough, not just one player, but the entire team. It's easy to see what went wrong on the court, missed opportunities, missed calls and "shoulda woulda couldas" But it takes 18-22 year young men to execute and a coach to give them direction. It is not one thing or one person.

Those of you that bad mouth, insult, and over criticize coach, make yourselves look ….well immature and childish.

I will place my trust in Coyle and he can make the decision. Until then Go Gophers and Go Pitino!!! I wish them the best every game.

Finger waving at the couple dozen people that are still paying attention to Gopher basketball seems odd.

Well, we can't fire players. We can fire the coaches who prepare players to perform. Consistent failure to perform falls on the coaches. One moment of failure falls on the player(s).
With 3 epic meltdowns in a row, at home, the failure to perform falls on the coaches.
Coyle ?, makes the decision on who gets to coach these players in the future. His decision on this will effect his own grade by those who evaluate him. Choose wisely oh snake ?.

I can't blame it all on Pitino last night. There was a ton of low basketball IQ mistakes made that should not be made at this level. Hence, inbounding the basketball. Gabe has really been awful offensively this season. He's mentally not there offensively. Wasn't even close on his free-throws. Also, Maryland is one of the best teams in the country for a reason and they've been coming back on teams all year. Expected this to happen, honestly. I said we needed a 20 point half time lead for me to feel confident. Turns out I was right.

Finger waving at the couple dozen people that are still paying attention to Gopher basketball seems odd.
It's easier than accepting the truth about your previous judgement of the situation.

Where did you get those

Where did you get those numbers? How many college players have those sorts of numbers? As a percent? How many forwards or centers shoot 80% from the free throw line? How many shoot 45% from the three point line? College guys? This whole thread is way, way heavy on emotional baloney. I'll trust the AD to make the correct call at the correct time. My guess would be after the Big Ten Tournament.

What motivates you to post on a basketball message board when you've clearly never watched the sport before? There are 0 teams that shoot any of those percentages and only 1 player in the country who shoots over 70% from the field.

What motivates you to post on a basketball message board when you've clearly never watched the sport before? There are 0 teams that shoot any of those percentages and only 1 player in the country who shoots over 70% from the field.
I think he meant if you want to win every game that's been played in the last 20 years you need to shoot those percentages. Lol wow! Clearly someone who's never played sports before.

I can't blame it all on Pitino last night. There was a ton of low basketball IQ mistakes made that should not be made at this level. Hence, inbounding the basketball. Gabe has really been awful offensively this season. He's mentally not there offensively. Wasn't even close on his free-throws. Also, Maryland is one of the best teams in the country for a reason and they've been coming back on teams all year. Expected this to happen, honestly. I said we needed a 20 point half time lead for me to feel confident. Turns out I was right.

He is also playing almost 40 minutes per game guarding the best players on the other team. He was bad offensively last night and the free throws stunk, but he held Cowan to 2-15; 0-8 shooting.

Those minutes add up. If they didn't (like some Pitino defenders are arguing), why wouldn't the best teams in the country play their best players 37+ minutes per night? Have they just not tapped into this piece of genius from Pitino? Do they hate winning?

He is also playing almost 40 minutes per game guarding the best players on the other team. He was bad offensively last night and the free throws stunk, but he held Cowan to 2-15; 0-8 shooting.

Those minutes add up. If they didn't (like some Pitino defenders are arguing), why wouldn't the best teams in the country play their best players 37+ minutes per night? Have they just not tapped into this piece of genius from Pitino? Do they hate winning?

Valid points. This speaks to Pitino's inability to ever have depth on his teams. We have a D2 bench.

I often wonder how many trolls there are on gopherhole with multiple aliases that like their own posts.

Last edited:

Serious question. Do you guys think the lack of mental toughness is directly tied to Pitino's coaching ability (or lack of) or does it more just have to do with the kids themselves and how they're wired?

Serious question. Do you guys think the lack of mental toughness is directly tied to Pitino's coaching ability (or lack of) or does it more just have to do with the kids themselves and how they're wired?
Both 65% kids 35% coaching staff

Some kids have it and some dont.. regardless of Coaching staff

Coaches can instill mental toughness. I'm sure PJ Fleck has a video on it.

I would throw age in the mix also. I would expect on the average for a team made up of mostly juniors and seniors to be more mentally tough than a team made up of mostly freshman and sophomores.

Top Bottom