That loss is Morgans loss

Stop blaming the players for this. PJ is at fault
There is blame everywhere. Everyone talks about how good the defense played. That is one shit offense and they scored 27. Busted coverage on one, brutal tackling on another. Interceptions were there to be had.

Bad throws and drops occurred too much.

Coaching decisions were complete shit sometimes.

I'd call it a a total team loss.

I think you go into Indiana with Annexstad and use this as a 2 game audition for next year. He can get his feet wet vs. Indiana and hopefully be ready for Wisconsin. Morgan might get you the win vs. Indiana, but only if you run 90 per cent of the time so who cares? He will NOT be able to get the win vs. Wisconsin though so you better find out now if Annexstad can be an upgrade.

Has anyone else seen a QB at the major college or pro level who has to check with the sideline before every single play?

I thought PJ said Tanner's ready to be an offensive coordinator today. Why does he have to go through all of those time wasting and tempo killing motions when he was just fine making reads as a sophomore?
when you run a check with me with the sideline the whole playbook is open, when the QB changes a play at the line he is limited on what he can call

Tanner's numbers.

2018 - 9 games - 152 attempts - 9 TD's - 1.0 TD's per game - 1 TD every 16.8 attempts
2019 - 12 gamess - 318 attempts - 30 TD's - 2.5 TD's per game -1 TD ever 10.6 attempts.

Sanford hired

2020 - 7 games - 183 attempts - 7 TD's = 1 TD per game. - 1 TD every 26.1 attempts
2021 - 10 games - 170 attempts - 6 TD's 0.6 TD's per game - 1 TD every 28.3 attempts

You would think with a good running game, or a team that runs heavily, when you do pass, the defenses would be easier to pass against.

I think you go into Indiana with Annexstad and use this as a 2 game audition for next year. He can get his feet wet vs. Indiana and hopefully be ready for Wisconsin. Morgan might get you the win vs. Indiana, but only if you run 90 per cent of the time so who cares? He will NOT be able to get the win vs. Wisconsin though so you better find out now if Annexstad can be an upgrade.
It will never happen. It will be wash, rinse, repeat. I don't blame Tanner. You will always have dropped balls and wounded ducks. It's the coaches that put him in these situations. If he's struggling, pull him, let him sit and observe. Call plays that play to his strengths and quit with the f*****g running down the clock. We aren't a service academy.

Gophers will lose at Indiana and then at home vs wis
Am I going to be a horror fan if I say we lost the last two games plus the Detroit bowl game we will be playing? Whatever it takes to make PJ realize he is on the wrong path with his OC and attachment to QB.
I think the sequence of events leads to Gopher O fiasco.
1. Horrible hire at OC.
2. Don't trust OC.
3. Don't allow him to implement his system if new OC has one.
4. new OC feels like his career resurrection owes to PJ. Become YES man.
5. Try to run the QB that is poorly suited for the new OC approach to the games
6. QB had a family tragedy. Not sure how much of this plays a role.
7. HC started making stupid in-game decisions when the Offense is on the field.
Here we are with total fiasco.

This is my same thought. The Gophs haven't relied on Morgan to win games all year with his arm, so what would change? Granted, he's not a turnover machine, but what else is he bringing right now?

I feel bad for Morgan, actually. He looked so good 2 years ago and I know he really wants to win but something happened and he is no longer that same QB. Somebody or something really f----- him up pretty bad. He is a nice kid but you can tell his confidence is completely shot.

You have got to replace him here.
Me too. Nobody can doubt he is a great person and hopefully a leader of the community some day. But this team needs a change. I really wish suckford was that change, but since it won't be, save Tanner's legacy of 2019. He is a stud, just got ruined by horrible coaching.

I've been wondering when someone would finally mention that... For all the Sanford bashing, this is where it would be legit. The OC stuff is silly, as Simon is co-OC and Fleck has plenty of input... but where is the improvement at QB?

Many try to say that Morgan regressed, but I don't think that's accurate. I think he is what he's always been. 2019 was all about the receivers making him (and ol' Kirk) look great. Sanford sure hasn't made Tanner a better QB.
Suckford needs to go!!

It will never happen. It will be wash, rinse, repeat. I don't blame Tanner. You will always have dropped balls and wounded ducks. It's the coaches that put him in these situations. If he's struggling, pull him, let him sit and observe. Call plays that play to his strengths and quit with the f*****g running down the clock. We aren't a service academy.

Agreed. All the changes that should happen, won't happen. Sanford is his buddy and he loves Morgan. He isn't going to make changes just because a bunch of fans want to win games. And at this school he gets extensions for the culture bit, so why make change anything?

This falls on
1. Fleck
2. Sanford

3. Morgan
If you mean 'Sanford the QB coach' who hasn't helped Tanner become a better QB, then I'd tend to agree with you... but you probably mean 'Sanford the OC.' That I can't get behind. The Gophers had the right plan and the playcalling was good... just didn't have the personnel on the field to get the job done...

If you mean 'Sanford the QB coach' who hasn't helped Tanner become a better QB, then I'd tend to agree with you... but you probably mean 'Sanford the OC.' That I can't get behind. The Gophers had the right plan and the playcalling was good... just didn't have the personnel on the field to get the job done...
It was the wrong game plan, you come in with the correct game plan you can beat that Iowa team by 14.

Morgan might get you the win vs. Indiana, but only if you run 90 per cent of the time so who cares?
If it comes to that, why play him...? Play Kramer. Better yet, Ky Thomas looks pretty good taking the direct snaps... just play him and run it 100%

That'd be fine against Indiana...

It was the wrong game plan, you come in with the correct game plan you can beat that Iowa team by 14.
The Gophers put up 22 on IA. The most IA has allowed in a game this year previous to the Gophers was the 27 they gave up to WI (with one of those scoring drives being 1 total yard, and another scoring drive being 4 total yards, due to getting turnovers deep in IA territory). Next closest is 20 to PSU.

The Gophers put up 22 against that defense with an absolutely putrid QB performance. I’m deep in the fire Sanford crowd, but the offense looked as good as it could when you’re limited by the bad QB play they’ve been getting. Fleck did this team no favors today. No, it’s not all on Morgan. But holy F, that dude is not helping this team win. They are winning in spite of him, not because of him.

Last edited:

It’s on fleck. He chooses who plays and if they don’t have a better QB on the roster than Morgan that is all on him.

morgans last great game was the Auburn game almost two years ago

I have been a TM2 apologist all season, mostly because I know for a fact most of his regression this year and our falling passing numbers lies at the feet of the atrocious OC....

....but today it was clear, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He had a decent bomb to CrAB (that was a bit under thrown) but he threw so many ugly ugly passes. Iowa's mediocre backup out played TM all game....and even times when he should've tucked and ran it with open green in front of him, he tried to thread it to a cover WR or threw out of bounds. It was so frustrating..

There is a ton of blame to go around, but this game reminds me of the Bowling Green game.

Our play calling on the three FG drives was odd. The decision to kick the FG with Kesich was inexcusable.

All losses involve mistakes by numerous players. But those were massive holes dug by our coaching staff. We were thoroughly outcoached today, we were thoroughly outcoached last Saturday.

There is a ton of blame to go around, but this game reminds me of the Bowling Green game.

Our play calling on the three FG drives was odd. The decision to kick the FG with Kesich was inexcusable.

All losses involve mistakes by numerous players. But those were massive holes dug by our coaching staff. We were thoroughly outcoached today, we were thoroughly outcoached last Saturday.
I am a big PJ fan. But it is becoming apparent he often hampers this team on gameday, and will put the team in unadvantageous positions. It is highly likely this team takes a step backward next year. PJ needs to look into the mirror and “change his best” this offseason. I am still on the wagon, but his leash is getting a bit shorter…and that’s assuming changes are made. There is no way coaches Sanford and Wenger, and Morgan should come back next year (at least as a starter). If any of those happen, it’s obvious PJ is unwilling to self evaluate and make the changes the need to happen.

On a semi related note, I am convinced he knows Morgan is “off”, but for whatever reason unwilling to make a change. I honestly think he just respects Morgan too much to yank him. PJ has always been conservative, but it has reached a whole new level this year. I think this is attributed to Morgan’s inabilities. Hopefully with better QB play, he comes back out of his shell a bit.

Stalled drives in the red zone are a result of an inability to run the ball effectively and / or lack of an accurate passing game.

When Tanner has been accurate in red zone passes, we've scored. But he hasn't done it much, nor lately.

I have watched so much college football today. No one plays qb like Morgan.

605B4A44-7A52-4530-BDE6-EDE8BDB0ED02.jpegThe Nebraska game was when I thought Tanner was turning the corner for the year. Seriously, he set the school record for completions in the first half, and I was thinking, I missed this guy from 2019. Even his first INT of that game was a good pass that a DB, who was beat by his WR, somehow caught up to it and made a great play and our WR didn’t fight for the ball. I know some say 2019 was more about the receivers than Tanner, but even if it was, his confidence was apparent and he was decisive. Even willing to throw into tight windows where I found myself saying, “Damn that was a ballsy throw.”

Something has definitely changed for him. Many were talking the draft for him after 2019, but I was more grounded than that. But I thought if he keeps progressing a little each year, the Gophs will have the balanced attack to beat the best in the West and maybe give the likes of MICH and OSU a run for their money by this year.

It is just a shame as we look at the QBs of WISC and IOWA and I’m particularly not impressed. Most teams of the B1G can run the ball well, but the team that can pass as well rises above the rest. That was my hope from what we saw 2 years ago, but it obviously didn’t come to fruition. Just a shame. Lost opportunity.

Top Bottom