Tharpe Update

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Taken from ESPN...

As we wrote Tuesday, Kansas coach Bill Self is making a strong push for 2011 point guard Naadir Tharpe, as he tries to fill his recruiting need at lead guard.

But the Jayhawks aren't the only new team vying for Tharpe's services. Several schools jumped into the mix this year after Tharpe de-committed from Providence, including Minnesota, NC State, Oklahoma, St. John's, UCLA and Villanova, according to ZagsBlog.com.

No word yet on which way Tharpe is leaning, but he may be a player that takes a little more time with his decision after de-committing once already.

Taken from ESPN...

As we wrote Tuesday, Kansas coach Bill Self is making a strong push for 2011 point guard Naadir Tharpe, as he tries to fill his recruiting need at lead guard.

But the Jayhawks aren't the only new team vying for Tharpe's services. Several schools jumped into the mix this year after Tharpe de-committed from Providence, including Minnesota, NC State, Oklahoma, St. John's, UCLA and Villanova, according to ZagsBlog.com.

No word yet on which way Tharpe is leaning, but he may be a player that takes a little more time with his decision after de-committing once already.

I'D GUESS he'll wait until spring. But if he visits Kansas and they offer, maybe not? Elite schools tend to get the players they offer.

I'D GUESS he'll wait until spring. But if he visits Kansas and they offer, maybe not? Elite schools tend to get the players they offer.

I wonder if Kansas is panicking a little bit on the PG front for 2011. They lost Josiah Turner last week to Arizona, and Marcus Paige (in 2012) doesn't appear to be the lock for KU that everyone assumed he'd be four weeks ago...

if two of Tharpes main interests were Harvard and Stanford, I'm thinking a school's basketball 'heritage' might not mean much, and UM stands way above KU academically.

if two of Tharpes main interests were Harvard and Stanford, I'm thinking a school's basketball 'heritage' might not mean much, and UM stands way above KU academically.

Those 2 are on Andre Hollins' list, not Tharpe's.

What were Tharpe's other offers when he committed to Providence? Just curious if he chose them over bigger schools, as it might be a sign he won't get star-struck easily. I will say this much, if we don't get him by November we should move on. If he wants to be a Gopher he'll decide by then. If he waits til Spring we have no shot.

What were Tharpe's other offers when he committed to Providence? Just curious if he chose them over bigger schools, as it might be a sign he won't get star-struck easily. I will say this much, if we don't get him by November we should move on. If he wants to be a Gopher he'll decide by then. If he waits til Spring we have no shot.

Naadir Tharpe verbals to PC
Wed, Mar 17, 2010
By Kevin McNamara
Journal Sports Writer

PROVIDENCE -- Naadir Tharpe, a 6-1 point guard who plays at Brewster (N.H.) Academy has verbally committed to Providence College Wednesday night, according to his coach.

Jason Smith said that Tharpe picked PC over Boston College.

"Naadir wanted to play in the Big East and the proximity to his home in Worcester excited him," said Smith.

We represent Tharpe's best opportunity to play early and we have a former teammate of his on our roster (for whatever its worth), so I am fairly confident we have a legitimate shot.

What makes me nervous is that we have to wait until spring with no viable back-up plan in place at the moment.

^ lol. its hard to be optimistic even though we are better than all of those programs except kansas currently. NC state will be good, but only for a year and all those guys will go pro. we cant seem to recruit.

^ lol. its hard to be optimistic even though we are better than all of those programs except kansas currently. NC state will be good, but only for a year and all those guys will go pro. we cant seem to recruit.

The last sentence is absurd. Two straight Top 20 classes in 2008 and 09. Decent class in 2010 including Hollins, Eliason, Walker, and Armelin (et al). Verbal commit by #1 Minn HS player for 2011.

All of those schools have newer arenas and practice facilities than Gophers do.

FOT, we are getting worked by the elite of the big ten. I like Tubby, but his recruiting has been fair at best. If Royce and Rodney wouldn't have been in MN, that class would have been weak. He can't recruit out of state very well in MN. Besides the first class, he hasn't raked in any blue chip players from outside of this region. I like Tubby, but he hasn't broken through with MN yet. Hopefully this is the year, as I am optimistic. But if you look at how well the rest of the big ten is recruiting, we seem to be in a bit of trouble for the years to come because they simply have better players coming in.

seriously, even freaking michigan has a better class then us right now

FOT, we are getting worked by the elite of the big ten. I like Tubby, but his recruiting has been fair at best. If Royce and Rodney wouldn't have been in MN, that class would have been weak. He can't recruit out of state very well in MN. Besides the first class, he hasn't raked in any blue chip players from outside of this region. I like Tubby, but he hasn't broken through with MN yet. Hopefully this is the year, as I am optimistic. But if you look at how well the rest of the big ten is recruiting, we seem to be in a bit of trouble for the years to come because they simply have better players coming in.

Gopher recruiting is better in 2008-09-10 than it was for 10+ years previously.

Build a new arena and a practice facility, and they will come.

My Gawd, even AUBURN has brand new facilities.

Hard to agree with that, the Gophers may have been better than Oklahoma and UCLA last year but how can you can call the U of M a better program? Both schools have seen a lot more success over the last 5 years than the Gophers.

The Barn rules...it would be a terrible idea to build a new, stale arena. I'd get behind a practice facility...but let's keep the tradition of The Barn.

The Barn rules...it would be a terrible idea to build a new, stale arena. I'd get behind a practice facility...but let's keep the tradition of The Barn.

Like I said, I understand why Gopher FANS love it. But not all Gopher RECRUITS do.

Hard to agree with that, the Gophers may have been better than Oklahoma and UCLA last year but how can you can call the U of M a better program? Both schools have seen a lot more success over the last 5 years than the Gophers.

in fairness to him, he did say currently.....could have meant better last year or projected to be better this year

Like I said, I understand why Gopher FANS love it. But not all Gopher RECRUITS do.

And whats important?

How bout we leave opinions on Minnesota traditions to people who are, you know, actually Gopher fans.

So we are down to criticizing the Barn for Tubby's loss of recruits? What a lame excuse by FOT.

The barn can be remodeled but we certainly need a practice facility and new modern facilities if we wanna keep up with everyone else. However, sometimes you have to ask yourself how long can you go with tradition when everything has to go at some point in time. That being said, with the new football stadium going up and the school struggling to get a practice center, there will not be a new arena for a long time.

So we are down to criticizing the Barn for Tubby's loss of recruits? What a lame excuse by FOT.

Tubby signed Top 20 classes in 2008 and 09. No Gopher coach had done that since the 1990's.

He signed 2 of his top targets in 2010 but missed his 3rd (and top) target in Cory Joseph.

He has a verbal commit from the #1 player in MN so far in 2011 class.

Boy, are you dumb.

The barn can be remodeled but we certainly need a practice facility and new modern facilities if we wanna keep up with everyone else. However, sometimes you have to ask yourself how long can you go with tradition when everything has to go at some point in time. That being said, with the new football stadium going up and the school struggling to get a practice center, there will not be a new arena for a long time.

I doubt there will be either (practice facility or new arena) anytime soon.

We all got em

My opinion is that a recruit may not think much of the barn empty but when it is full a game day on a competitive night...I just can't imagine someone not getting excited to play there.

FOT Why don't you think we will get a basketball practice facility? The comments I have heard from Maturi are that it is being planned for sooner than later. I'm pretty sure a $100,000 designated contribution from you would have an impact. Then if you find 99 other guys to follow suit you can name it after yourself. Step up big boy.

Top Bottom