Thank You for this Board

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
To the moderators of GH,
I'm a long-time veteran of the Gopher Hole, although my posting has diminished significantly over the years once I moved overseas and my access to watching the games was significantly diminished. Nonetheless, I continued to be a regular visitor to the Hole to find out the latest on recruiting, post-game thoughts/analysis, scrimmage/spring game notes, etc. etc. Inevitably, during the quiet times of the off-season, my time spent on the basketball and football boards would be brief, so I would stop by the Off-Topic board. Occasionally I would engage in the discussions, but in recent years I would find myself "doom scrolling" through the threads that would either start as political threads or inevitably head in that direction. They overwhelmed the board and would inevitably leave me angry, dismayed, or both and I would find myself perseverating over commentary from strangers, which was of course, stupid and not productive. My self-discipline would not allow me to weed through the morass to find the updates about the pro teams or music or news of the weird without stopping to read other posts which would be soul-sucking. I found myself visiting GH less and less. It just wasn't a healthy place, especially in the midst of quarantine/pandemic.

So, to my great delight and surprise, this page sprung up out of nowhere and I don't believe I have visited the other off-topic board since. Even though this board isn't exactly bustling with news, I relish popping over when time allows. I enjoy my visits to the GH again. Thank you guys.

Well said. Hopefully this board picks up more steam as people reengage.

My general real of thumb for the other board is to not post on any thread over 5 pages and not open any thread over 10 pages.

My general real of thumb for the other board is to not post on any thread over 5 pages and not open any thread over 10 pages.
That seems like a good guideline. Also, put about 20 people on ignore.

I'm as guilty as anyone of being at the center of the mosh pit on the political forum, and even I appreciate the division of these two boards. I'll do my best to leave politics at the door.

No, the better rule is to never waste time of your life on that place, and the cancer that dwells there and sucks you down into their mental disease.

Coolhand, thanks for the term "doom scrolling." That is an absolutely perfect description of my experience on the political threads.

Unfortunately the football board is going down the political sewer lately, with asinine comments from both the left and right. Hopefully this board retains its non political status.

Unfortunately the football board is going down the political sewer lately, with asinine comments from both the left and right. Hopefully this board retains its non political status.
Yeah I wish they would talk about all the football stuff going on!

this board is dead.

does anyone else find it weird that MplsGopher would post, with an almost pathological furor, on the off topic board. dozens of posts a day, while also agitating for a split in the off topic board with politics in one board and other stuff in another.

and then, when that very thing happens, he goes from posting maniacally in the off topic board to almost nothing.

1596578690660.png

this board is dead.

does anyone else find it weird that MplsGopher would post, with an almost pathological furor, on the off topic board. dozens of posts a day, while also agitating for a split in the off topic board with politics in one board and other stuff in another.

and then, when that very thing happens, he goes from posting maniacally in the off topic board to almost nothing.
Maybe he just doesn't have anything interesting to say.

this board is dead.

The opening quote reminds me of one of my favorite small moments from one of my favorite movies, Swingers. He's not on the screen long, but Charles is the coolest of the cats (besides Trent), and as he joins the guys for a night of revelry, he continues to declare that the places they frequent, despite the apparent bustle, are dead anyway:
I don't imagine this board will ever have the flow that the other off-topic board has, as the posts hardly have the frothing at the mouth quality that seems to fit over there, but that there's a place to talk/read a bit about the Twins/Vikings/TWolves, see movie/music/TV recs, and engage in some light stupidity distraction, that seems like a good deal to me.

The opening quote reminds me of one of my favorite small moments from one of my favorite movies, Swingers. He's not on the screen long, but Charles is the coolest of the cats (besides Trent), and as he joins the guys for a night of revelry, he continues to declare that the places they frequent, despite the apparent bustle, are dead anyway:
I don't imagine this board will ever have the flow that the other off-topic board has, as the posts hardly have the frothing at the mouth quality that seems to fit over there, but that there's a place to talk/read a bit about the Twins/Vikings/TWolves, see movie/music/TV recs, and engage in some light stupidity distraction, that seems like a good deal to me.
that exact scene went through my head as i was writing. freaking love that movie. one of my favorite things to do when someone delivers something to a place where im at is the hockey scene in swingers. 'is he clean?':

also, when you really look at the posting numbers and habits, the old off topic board was dead too. there was just about a half dozen posters who contributed an insane number of posts over and over again in the political threads. they would never post in a thread unless it was political. really strange behavior. like they have no other personality outside of political opinion.

funnily enough, after posting in the thread about falling down being considered "problematic" to the ultra-woke set the other day, i have been thinking about other movies from my past that would be problematic. that scene above would have been. and later he asks if being attracted to the whole judy garland thing makes him a f*g. that word used to feature comedically in a lot of movies. in teen wolf, when scott is trying to tell stiles that he is a werewolf he says, "wait are you trying to tell me youre a f*g, because if youre a f*g...i dont think i can handle it."

what other movies would be cancelled today because they are a product of their times? im thinking definitely big trouble in little china.

edit: naughty word

also, i want a t-shirt that says "what are you looking at dicknose"

Top Bottom