Thank You! Coach Johnson for Your Success Plan Underway!

For carrington to be Dupree he would need a brain transplant. Dupree’s game was not built on settling for 3 pointers but was more around attacking the basket, and many times would do that at the harm of his body…slightly different than Carrington. Carrington as of now is strictly a catch and shoot player. In the big10 I assume that aspect of his game (the open shots) will most likely be eliminated, or they are a strategic decision by the other team to give them up (as they focus on shutting down Battle…and leaving open a lower 30% 3pt shooter). As I’ve said numerous times, Carrington has to learn how to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. (Either finish at the hole, or collapse the defense and kick out to other open players).
Not necessarily a direct comparison I brought up Dupree more as someone who was a good big ten player, in the top half of shooting guard in the league, just not an all conference type. Body types are nothing alike. Carrington already bigger than Dupree. Carrington will be fine, he has the game to do all the things you're concerned about, Austin Hollins had the same struggles early in his career, as did Dupree, Dupree struggled at everything the first half of his Freshman year. Carrington IQ by far the best in the freshman class and he may be our best rebounder right now, which days more about others than him. If he's willing to fight for rebounds, he will be willing to go to the hole on offense. He was more assertive the last couple of games

For carrington to be Dupree he would need a brain transplant. Dupree’s game was not built on settling for 3 pointers but was more around attacking the basket, and many times would do that at the harm of his body…slightly different than Carrington. Carrington as of now is strictly a catch and shoot player. In the big10 I assume that aspect of his game (the open shots) will most likely be eliminated, or they are a strategic decision by the other team to give them up (as they focus on shutting down Battle…and leaving open a lower 30% 3pt shooter). As I’ve said numerous times, Carrington has to learn how to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. (Either finish at the hole, or collapse the defense and kick out to other open players).
Your glorification of Dupree is nice, but he was not good as a freshman. The brain transplant comment is ignorant, asinine and mostly why I avoid you. They add no substance to the discussion and make it like I’m talking to a high schooler. Lastly I wasn’t saying he’s a carbon copy of him as a player, but was talking about their value to the team.

As far as a player, Carrington is a very smart player who has been really well coached through HS. He is very unselfish and wont just be a catch and shoot player. He can handle the ball fine, but he plays the role that is needed on this team which is a guard who needs to shoot the three and stretch the defense for Payne and Garcia.

Ogee, be honest, would you know a guard from a forward in basketball, even if they sewed it onto the jersey?
What I think it is for you is you can't stand that an inexperienced black man got the same chance that the inexperienced white man got just before this. So, you're right. For you, this is more than only winning enough.
Best you go to the off-topic board for your response.

Your decision to bring the color of a man's skin into the discussion is honestly disgusting and shameful. People like you are precisely why we are where we are with race relations today, it's honestly the only thing you can see and focus on.

I'm looking at the product on the floor, and is the team getting better; player development and improvement is coaching. Roster construction is at the hands of the staff. The team didn't get better last year as the season went on, that's a big concern. It's starting to look that way this year (although there is a long way to go, it could change?), and that is also a concern.

All you have to do is listen to people and they will tell you who they are. You have done an admirable job of telling everyone exactly who you are here. No further information needed

Your glorification of Dupree is nice, but he was not good as a freshman. The brain transplant comment is ignorant, asinine and mostly why I avoid you. They add no substance to the discussion and make it like I’m talking to a high schooler. Lastly I wasn’t saying he’s a carbon copy of him as a player, but was talking about their value to the team.

As far as a player, Carrington is a very smart player who has been really well coached through HS. He is very unselfish and wont just be a catch and shoot player. He can handle the ball fine, but he plays the role that is needed on this team which is a guard who needs to shoot the three and stretch the defense for Payne and Garcia.
He has provided zero evidence of not being a catch and shoot player (had had 1 drive against Purdue but that was it). And what this team actually needs is someone to attack (cooper, samuels & battle can’t due to their foot speed)…I’d argue if carrington could / and he has better foot speed than the others mentioned, the team would need that as we have no one that can collapse a defense

Your decision to bring the color of a man's skin into the discussion is honestly disgusting and shameful. People like you are precisely why we are where we are with race relations today, it's honestly the only thing you can see and focus on.

I'm looking at the product on the floor, and is the team getting better; player development and improvement is coaching. Roster construction is at the hands of the staff. The team didn't get better last year as the season went on, that's a big concern. It's starting to look that way this year (although there is a long way to go, it could change?), and that is also a concern.

All you have to do is listen to people and they will tell you who they are. You have done an admirable job of telling everyone exactly who you are here. No further information needed
Run from the racist posts if you wish, but you and others have whined about Ben only getting this job because of George Floyd and have never given him the respect he deserves.
Second, this team is improving. You cannot see it because you are narrow minded and focused on Ws vs Ls without ever seeing outside of that box. This team will continue to improve, despite your and your other chicken littles crying.

He has provided zero evidence of not being a catch and shoot player (had had 1 drive against Purdue but that was it).
Correct he has provided little evidence a 1/3 of the way through his freshman season in which he started with ankle injury. He has provided many years off of high school and AAU play where he did more than just catch and shoot so we will see what translates throughout his career.

And what this team actually needs is someone to attack (cooper, samuels & battle can’t due to their foot speed)…
This team has a lot of needs. Outside shooting is equally valuable for post creation as is penetrating the lane helps outside shooting.

I’d argue if carrington could / and he has better foot speed than the others mentioned, the team would need that as we have no one that can collapse a defense
He doesn’t have elite foot speed and likely never will. That isn’t the only requirement for penetration. Teams run offensive actions for that. Our team for example starts things with a high ball screen to create a on a switch or to attempt to give our guard a step to create the penetration. Ball reversals are also a wonderful way to create an advantage that doesn’t require you to have faster foot speed than your defender. It also requires a player to anticipate the defensive rotation and close out. Carrington can do that as he is a high IQ guy.

Run from the racist posts if you wish, but you and others have whined about Ben only getting this job because of George Floyd and have never given him the respect he deserves.
Second, this team is improving. You cannot see it because you are narrow minded and focused on Ws vs Ls without ever seeing outside of that box. This team will continue to improve, despite your and your other chicken littles crying.

This team was fortunate to beat a bottom 50 team in all of division I basketball by 3 points in the final seconds the last time they played. If that's improvement, then this team is even worse than I gave them credit for.

I assume this is a direct reference to one of my earlier posts, which I claimed (& still believe) to be true .... Ben Johnson would not have been hired if he was not black.

I previously side stepped your accusation that this belief was racist by including in my first response that a black coach, that I considered to be qualified, was my personnel co-favorite for the job.

I stand by my statement that Ben Johnson was not qualified to get a head coaching job at a B1G level school. I do not dislike Ben as a person nor do not fault him for taking the job. I do fault the athletic director & school president for hiring an inexperienced & unqualified coach that has placed a likable guy like Ben in such a bad situation. It isn't doing anyone any favors.

I assume this is a direct reference to one of my earlier posts, which I claimed (& still believe) to be true .... Ben Johnson would not have been hired if he was not black.

I previously side stepped your accusation that this belief was racist by including in my first response that a black coach, that I considered to be qualified, was my personnel co-favorite for the job.

I stand by my statement that Ben Johnson was not qualified to get a head coaching job at a B1G level school. I do not dislike Ben as a person nor do not fault him for taking the job. I do fault the athletic director & school president for hiring an inexperienced & unqualified coach that has placed a likable guy like Ben in such a bad situation. It isn't doing anyone any favors.
Yup.

The negative and positive are both just speculation at this point. So neither side can claim they know more yet. However, the little evidence we have so far is not positive other than recruiting seems better. But this is a result driven business.

Correct he has provided little evidence a 1/3 of the way through his freshman season in which he started with ankle injury. He has provided many years off of high school and AAU play where he did more than just catch and shoot so we will see what translates throughout his career.

This team has a lot of needs. Outside shooting is equally valuable for post creation as is penetrating the lane helps outside shooting.

He doesn’t have elite foot speed and likely never will. That isn’t the only requirement for penetration. Teams run offensive actions for that. Our team for example starts things with a high ball screen to create a on a switch or to attempt to give our guard a step to create the penetration. Ball reversals are also a wonderful way to create an advantage that doesn’t require you to have faster foot speed than your defender. It also requires a player to anticipate the defensive rotation and close out. Carrington can do that as he is a high IQ guy.
Ball screens are now becoming harder with teams filled of 6’7” guys who switch everything - this foot speed still matters. It’s not the old days where a center sets a ball screen on carringtons guy and he gets switched onto a slower Center. (That very rarely happens).

Honestly who thinks his resume was qualified? Not one person I know will say that. Coyle knew the chance he was taking and you are right that he will have to answer for the negative or positive results that come from it. Ben’s vision sold Coyle in the interview.

Ball screens are now becoming harder with teams filled of 6’7” guys who switch everything - this foot speed still matters. It’s not the old days where a center sets a ball screen on carringtons guy and he gets switched onto a slower Center. (That very rarely happens).
Yet more and more teams are using them…. I never said foot speed doesn’t matter, just said it’s not the only thing that is required to penetrate gaps. I said in Carringtons case it won’t just relegate him to a catch and shoot player his whole college career.

This team was fortunate to beat a bottom 50 team in all of division I basketball by 3 points in the final seconds the last time they played. If that's improvement, then this team is even worse than I gave them credit for.
Iowa lost to Eastern Illinois. Michigan lost to Central Michigan. You keep living in the shallows, which indicates to me that you are a clueless watcher of basketball. Keep whining.

I hope you also posted that Little Richard only got hired because of his white privilege daddy. At least then you'd be an equitable thinker when it comes to race.
The honest truth is that ever since Tubby, the University has hired inexperienced basketball coaches that they hoped would grow into greatness.

I hope you also posted that Little Richard only got hired because of his white privilege daddy. At least then you'd be an equitable thinker when it comes to race.
The honest truth is that ever since Tubby, the University has hired inexperienced basketball coaches that they hoped would grow into greatness.
Beginning with Clem it has gone black white black white black. Up next, some old white guy.

Honestly who thinks his resume was qualified? Not one person I know will say that. Coyle knew the chance he was taking and you are right that he will have to answer for the negative or positive results that come from it. Ben’s vision sold Coyle in the interview.
Coyle and his bosses obviously believed he was qualified. Otherwise there would be no reason to even offer an interview.

Iowa lost to Eastern Illinois. Michigan lost to Central Michigan. You keep living in the shallows, which indicates to me that you are a clueless watcher of basketball. Keep whining.

Maybe we'll have a shot against Michigan at home then! Ah wait, never mind, we couldn't even compete with them for more than 2 minutes. Progress!!

Good thing they play again in 3 weeks

I'm sure we'll have a good chance on their home court. They only beat Maryland by 35 there today.

And as you said, we'll have at least two B1G wins against Nebraska and Wisconsin at that point. I am very excited for those!

I'm sure we'll have a good chance on their home court. They only beat Maryland by 35 there today.

And as you said, we'll have at least two B1G wins against Nebraska and Wisconsin at that point. I am very excited for those!
Sounds like a real fan who's wants the team to win! I've officially named you as President of the Ben Johnson Hater Group! Congratulations! Hopefully for you, the Gophers don't win anymore games!!

I mean they did just lose to a directional Michigan at home this week.

Last edited:

Coyle and his bosses obviously believed he was qualified. Otherwise there would be no reason to even offer an interview.
Resume was my comment. Don’t twist it. Resumes matter but do not solely mean you get an interview. Sometimes it’s about knowing someone. Coyle knew and really liked Ben beforehand.

Sounds like a real fan who's wants the team to win! I've officially named you as President of the Ben Johnson Hater Group! Congratulations! Hopefully for you, the Gophers don't win anymore games!!

I mean they did just lose to a directional Michigan at home this week.
Voter fraud in play?

Resume was my comment. Don’t twist it. Resumes matter but do not solely mean you get an interview. Sometimes it’s about knowing someone. Coyle knew and really liked Ben beforehand.
Twist what?
Coyle and company must have thought johnson was qualified. Period.
Ah, so the qualifications didn't matter. Knowing someone. Sure glad Mn public university can hire with simply knowing someone.
Btw the resume is the first screening tool, if you want to give everyone an equal chance.

Maybe we'll have a shot against Michigan at home then! Ah wait, never mind, we couldn't even compete with them for more than 2 minutes. Progress!!
Neither could Maryland.
Do you see how basketball works? Do you see that the sky isn't falling?

Twist what?
Coyle and company must have thought johnson was qualified. Period.
No one said that Coyle didn’t. The conversation was about his resume or past work experience. I haven’t seen or heard one person say he was qualified based on what his resume shows. I never said anything about if he was qualified or about Coyle feeling he was. That’s the twist part.
Ah, so the qualifications didn't matter. Knowing someone. Sure glad Mn public university can hire with simply knowing someone.
Working for the AD also counts, but yeah if Coyle didn’t have the background with him he had, Ben wouldn’t be here.
Btw the resume is the first screening tool, if you want to give everyone an equal chance.
I hire and interview a lot of people. I know about resumes and their purpose but thanks lol

No one said that Coyle didn’t. The conversation was about his resume or past work experience. I haven’t seen or heard one person say he was qualified based on what his resume shows. I never said anything about if he was qualified or about Coyle feeling he was. That’s the twist part.

Working for the AD also counts, but yeah if Coyle didn’t have the background with him he had, Ben wouldn’t be here.

I hire and interview a lot of people. I know about resumes and their purpose but thanks lol
Johnson was not qualified. Shouldn't have received an interview.
Coyle shouldn't have ever considered him IF qualifications mattered.
Qualification for a big 10 job looks nothing like Johnson's resume.
I interview a lot as well. Public positions.
If anyone is twisting, it's you. LOL.

Top Bottom