texas board quite

Honestly, I think the golden gophers are in trouble

Could be. After all, between all the schools that are apparently coming to poach our coach, not to mention being a member of the absolutely awful Big Ten, how could we not be???:p;)

Anyway, here's a question for you: What's Austin like?? I have some friends who have visited and lived there and they rave about how nice of a town it is to live in. I for one would love to visit sometime. Anything I should know before I make such plans??

Austin is a great town. With over 100,000 college students in the area nightlife is buzzing and there are always things to do. 80 and sunny most of the fall and spring, 50's in the winter and 90-100's in the summer. Great lakes around town to ski or swim, friendly people, great tex-mex and bbq.

Last winter I had a meeting in St. Cloud. I left Austin it was 80 and sunny, I got to St. Cloud and it was 7 and cloudy. They told me that I was lucky and had come during a warm spell as the high in a few days was going to be -17. I was happy to leave.

I was in the navy and lived all over the country, and travel all the time now for work and there is no place in the world I'd rather live.

If you guys can keep it close with 5 mts to go, we're guaranteed to choke it away. AJ will try to take over and start jacking up a bunch of wild 3s at that point.

I'd say if YOU guys can keep it close with 5 mts to go, WE are guaranteed (make that "likely") to choke it away. Lawrence Westbrook will try to take over and start jacking up a bunch of wild 3s (make that "dribbling into the lane uncontrollably") at that point.

Actually, LW has put the team on his back twice to win games. Trouble is, he thinks he can turn it on whenever he wants to, and the motor sometimes backfires. Our bigger problem has been 5-7 minute stretches of second half offensive ineptitude.

so we are expecting a close game. our team is completely unpredictable this year. we usually play to the level of the competition. texas favored by about 4 points but i wouldn't touch it.

most of our fans know very little about your team other than the coach.

and as for the UT message boards, shaggybevo is the new kid on the block, for people who are bored with regular banter. hornfans was awesome for years but has died a slow death.

how bout some weather smack? it's 79 and sunny in dallas right now :D

it was 67 degrees and sunny with zero humidity in minneapolis on monday. today it is mostly sunny and 60 degrees in minneapolis.

Austin is a great town. With over 100,000 college students in the area nightlife is buzzing and there are always things to do. 80 and sunny most of the fall and spring, 50's in the winter and 90-100's in the summer. Great lakes around town to ski or swim, friendly people, great tex-mex and bbq.

Last winter I had a meeting in St. Cloud. I left Austin it was 80 and sunny, I got to St. Cloud and it was 7 and cloudy. They told me that I was lucky and had come during a warm spell as the high in a few days was going to be -17. I was happy to leave.

I was in the navy and lived all over the country, and travel all the time now for work and there is no place in the world I'd rather live.

sorry st. cloud is your only impression of minnesota so far. next time you need to come visit minneapolis/st. paul. you will find the cultural and political climates to be very similar to that of an austin, portland or seattle.

come on minnesota fans! there is too much civility on this site. i hate it when i hear people talk about minnesota nice.

i have always secretly wanted to live in texas so i could say "don't mess with me", but until 9.00 p.m. thursday we are enemies.

to all longhorn fans:
<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/LoXfiSU_wqE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/LoXfiSU_wqE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Matt Hill Fan

If you guys can keep it close with 5 mts to go, we're guaranteed to choke it away. AJ will try to take over and start jacking up a bunch of wild 3s at that point.

Could help but notice your name. Happen to know Matt Hill, he went to high school with my sons, played basketball and football with my oldest son.

Gophergod

Matt Hill Fan, I am curious about your moniker as I went to the same high school as Matt Hill, though a few years earlier than him.

Didn't realize that there was another LSE person on the board. I didn't go there but both sons graduated from LSE.

sorry st. cloud is your only impression of minnesota so far. next time you need to come visit minneapolis/st. paul. you will find the cultural and political climates to be very similar to that of an austin, portland or seattle.

Agree. St. Cloud isn't exactly the garden spot of Minnesota. Hope you can make it up to Minneapolis/St. Paul sometime. But come during the summer; you'll probably find the weather a bit more to your taste!!!:D

Our bigger problem has been 5-7 minute stretches of second half offensive ineptitude.

I'm expecting at least one lengthy stretch where neither team scores a point. I won't call it offensive ineptitude. We just have great defenses...

shaggybevo looks like a cool board, my college roommate of 3 years was from Texas and a Longhorn guy...so I dont have any animosity against them and I root for them to beat Oklahoma every year in football. I hate Oklahoma. Austin is a cool city too. Nothing against them, but I would like to beat them.

Shaggybevo is a great board, but you have to understand the reason it was created in the first place to "get" it. Correct me if I'm wrong blacklab, but I think it was basically created because the other fan site took itself way too seriously. So you can't take everything you read or see there too seriously. But that's not to say the site doesn't have great value.

I've read gopherhole.com for a while now and registered not too long ago because I appreciate the great free content. Both sites do have this in common. There is good substance to be found at shaggybevo too, but you won't get it if you're scared off by tongue in cheek comments and bouncing boobs.

As far as why there's not much talk about the game, unfortunately... I don't think Texas fans are expecting much. As far as my take on our chances, I always subsribe to three rules for a good tourney team this time of year.

1. You need excellent guard play to manage and control the game. The pace and style of the game can easily become the deciding factor. Two great guards are ideal, and I'm not sure Texas has that.

2. Three point shooters. I think you need at least two that are consistent. Going into the year we thought we had that, but Connor Atchley's shot has been off all season it seems. AJ is the only three point threat at this point, and sometimes he just doesn't show up or the shots don't fall. Make no mistake, AJ is the key. We've been feeding Dexter Pittman a lot more lately, and that's taken away some shots from AJ, but I think come tournament time AJ will have the green light and he'll be gunnin' for threes to try to impress scouts. If he gets hot, we win. If not, hopefully it means Dexter Pittman's having a career day, because if not... I don't like our chances.

3. Free throws. Unless you are going to dominate and blow teams out (I don't see this being the case with Texas), you need to draw fouls and capitalize on your free throw attempts. To put it frankly, I could shoot a better free throw percentage than maybe half the team. It's really, really bad.

And on top of all this, Mack Brown's creating a lot of buzz with his next class. It's insane. We've already got 20 commits so far, and the only outstanding offers are to the best of the best left on the table. This may be Mack's most impressive class since coming to Texas, and that's saying a great deal. I think Texas not having it's best looking basketball team allows for the talk of recruiting to become an easy distraction. Texas is big on football, but we're getting there with basketball. Just take a look at who we've got coming in the next two years. This season just doesn't look like a great one as far as producing great tournament results. It's been rough enough that you could call it a rebuilding year, even though it looks like we'll be reloading next season.

Whatever happens on Thursday, both of our schools have a lot to look forward to in basketball and football. TCF is looking great, and that's going to help Brewster even more with his stellar recruiting. I hope both teams play a great game on Thursday, and may the best team win. Good luck, Gophers.

Well, I made a Charlie Weiss FUPA joke on hornfans and they warned me for it. If you can't discuss Charlie Weiss's FUPA on a college football message board, what's the point of the message board.

Yes, we have our share of morons, and some threads like the one linked above are just a bunch of shit talking, but if you come over and discuss basketball and make a post like I did above describing your best players you will be met with open arms and the occasional fuck off and die in a grease fire.

If you want to see a board full of crap, head over to our rivals at texags.com

Didn't realize that there was another LSE person on the board. I didn't go there but both sons graduated from LSE.

Lincoln gopher, I did graduate from LSE in the mid '90's and it pains me to see the decline of the once dominating football program at LSE thanks to the addition of LSW.

Well, I made a Charlie Weiss FUPA joke on hornfans and they warned me for it. If you can't discuss Charlie Weiss's FUPA on a college football message board, what's the point of the message board.

Yes, we have our share of morons, and some threads like the one linked above are just a bunch of shit talking, but if you come over and discuss basketball and make a post like I did above describing your best players you will be met with open arms and the occasional fuck off and die in a grease fire.

If you want to see a board full of crap, head over to our rivals at texags.com

Weis's FUPA is the stuff of legend.

Lincoln gopher, I did graduate from LSE in the mid '90's and it pains me to see the decline of the once dominating football program at LSE thanks to the addition of LSW.

My son played on the last (2002) state championship team. They had a great run.

Top Bottom