Texas Aggie update:

Wow that is an impressive video and vision. I love the dedication to the student body.

A ton of thought and strategy is going into this stadium renovation. Wow.

Go Gophers!!

30000 student seats? jesus. thats gotta be damn near their entire enrollment!

Student involvement at football games is part of the culture at A&M. A lot of schools stick their students into the end zone.
No wonder a small % shows up for games. I've always thought the students should get a side to the stadium. You would see
a whole lot more students show up if they were treated better.

Student involvement at football games is part of the culture at A&M. A lot of schools stick their students into the end zone.
No wonder a small % shows up for games. I've always thought the students should get a side to the stadium. You would see
a whole lot more students show up if they were treated better.

Although giving students better seats would be more attractive to them, I'm not convinced that's the solution. A lot of places like Penn St., SIN-BAD and Iowa put their students in the end zone and it doesn't seem to deter them from going to games. I think your point about football being part of the culture is spot on and is the bigger issue for us. How you best cultivate that I'm not sure.

30000 student seats? jesus. thats gotta be damn near their entire enrollment!

Only 3/5ths. Our enrollment is 53,337. We do fill out all 30,300 seats almost every game, and over 90% of us are there at kickoff and stand until time expires. There's not really a trend of showing up late or leaving early here.

Its going to be great to have an updated facility that still stands on the location where we have been playing football for over 100 years. It will also be fun to watch the progress happen, as crews will be working around the clock to finish construction during the offseason.

An interesting factoid is that, although the final capacity will be 102,500, during the 2014 season we will have a much higher capacity and may be the largest in the country. The reason is that the south end zone will have been built, but the west stands will not have been reconfigured for suites yet.

Kyle Field will look great sitting across the street from our recently remodeled Olsen Field (baseball):
1.jpg

College baseball rocks. What a beatiful facility. I only wish the northern schools were still a part of it. Oh, well, at least the CWS is still within the Big Ten footprint!!

Have fun at the new stadium. I've always been jealous of the 12th man tradition.

FWIW, when I was at USC in the '80's the students seats stretched to about the 35 yard line. Of course the colliseum was a big place so they kind of had no choice.

The number and size of the new and upgraded facilities on campus in just the past two years is remarkable. In addition to Kyle Field and Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park, we have built or remodeled:

Memorial Student Center (MSC)
Liberal Arts & Humanities Building
Emerging Technology and Economic Development Building
Agriculture and Life Sciences Complex (My office)
Hullabaloo Hall
Buzbee Leadership Learning Center
YMCA Building
National Center for Therapeutics Manufacturing
Equine Complex
Davis Player Development Center
Slocum Nutrition Center & Lohman Center (Close video and click on gallery)
Ellis Field
Physical Education Activity Program Building
Penberthy Rec Sports Complex
Campus Golf Course
Wellborn Road Underpass
Cyclotron Renovation
Joint Library Facility

In the next couple of years, there are also planned renovations for Williams, Scoates, and Francis buildings (about $10mm each), a $30mm upgrade to the Student Recreation Center, and some upgrades to our airport.

Also, right across the street from campus are the Rise, the Stack, Northpoint Crossing and Campus Pointe developments.

C'mon....Why is this in Gopherhole football tread? Off topic board Doc.

We could learn some things from our Aggie friends. Not only have they have developed a great football culture, but a great university culture period. TexasAggie11 has previously posted some of the similarities we share (e.g., both are large land grant universities). Of course, there are differences (e.g., A&M is a true college town vs. the U of M being located in major metro area). I don't pretend to have the answer as to how we improve our culture but I think the one thing we all can do is be better U of M ambassadors. For example, always wear (with pride) Maroon and Gold on Fridays even if it lands on St. Patrick's Day, turn it up a notch by being louder at football games, etc. I think the little things add up and when people see that it is exciting to be part of Gopher football, they'll want in. Sure, winning helps. Slick advertising campaigns might help. Giving students better seats may entice more to attend games. However, we don't control much if anything when it comes to these things. So my 2-cents is control what you can by doing the little things and perhaps we can develop that culture we all want for our program.

C'mon....Why is this in Gopherhole football tread? Off topic board Doc.

It's also somewhat related because Populous, the firm that designed TCF Bank Stadium is also doing the design for Kyle Field. Out of their portfolio, I would expect Kyle to most closely resemble some of the design and features of TCF.

What you guys have with wide, open concourses would make most Aggies jealous. Walking under Kyle right now is pretty dark and cramped. The club levels and museum, while much larger at Kyle, look to share some similar design elements. Your stadium, in part, echoes back some features of Memorial Stadium, and the names around the stadium will be the same. We are also lowering our field and adding additional seating to the front rows to bring fans closer to the action like at TCF.

I would argue that your students don't really have bad seats because the bleachers are so close to the action. The upper level is a bit chilly when the wind is blowing through the open endzone, however. I think at least a small part of the student attendance problem is that the seats are too inexpensive and too good. Our students would kill to be able to pay $84 a season and walk right into the good seat of their choosing. Instead, we pay $225 and have to wait in line one morning the week of the game to get assigned tickets, which for freshmen could be three decks up at the goal line.

In my opinion, you are less likely to miss a game if you paid more for it and had to spend a day waiting in line than if it didn't cost that much.

One thing that might help is having different student organizations (greek, student government, etc.) lobby for assigned blocks of seating at the beginning of each year. If a section is empty, that fraternity or whomever can be razzed by the others, and next year their assigned block moves to a worse location. You would have the officers of each organization rallying their members to show up so that the organization as a whole gets good seats (which they can use for recruiting and as a matter of pride). Or, forget the seating blocks and develop a system where a student ID card swipe to get into the stadium counts as a point for their primary organization. The top X organizations for overall attendance win $Y of student activity funding for the spring semester or use of some designated special tailgate area.

At the end of the day, if anyone is going to convince a student to show up to a football game, it's not the administrators or former students, it's their peers and student leaders. If your sorority president tells you to go, you're much more likely to go.

Of course, this gets people in, but they may leave early. There could be something compelling at the start of the fourth quarter for students to participate in, i.e. Enter Sandman, Jump Around, or Aggie War Hymn type of thing. I know there is popular music played at that time at TCF, but make it epic for students and even add a sponsored prize. Best costume, craziest dance, etc. wins dinner for four, brought to you courtesy of Sample Local Business. Just some thoughts.

Students, ours included, don't know how good they have it. They get cheap tickets and don't really have anything else pressing to do on weekends like adults might. Yet many want to throw away a great opportunity and take going to games for granted.

Our student body stands in our seats for the duration of the entire game, including timeouts and even halftime (except when the other band marches). No one leaves the stands for the restroom or concessions unless they really have to, and they come right back. There's no culture of hanging out in the concourse or anything. However, I wonder how this might change when we have a more bright and open concourse with better concession and restroom facilities. I'm interested in learning how you maintain a culture of staying for the game when you have a great facility like TCF to hang out in.

I believe this is Gopherhole...not Aggiehole

I'd argue our Aggie friend has given more to Gopherhole than you certainly have. If you don't like the thread, move along to the next one and quit complaining.

Parski's incessant complaining just proves that he is NOT an imitation cheap dumazz. It proves he is a REAL cheap dumazz. :)

Well, I guess our football program found one aspect better than yours :)

In all seriousness, I'd love to see Kyle Field sometime. Hoping to make a quick detour when the Gophers play at TCU in the near future!

It's also somewhat related because Populous, the firm that designed TCF Bank Stadium is also doing the design for Kyle Field. Out of their portfolio, I would expect Kyle to most closely resemble some of the design and features of TCF.

What you guys have with wide, open concourses would make most Aggies jealous. Walking under Kyle right now is pretty dark and cramped. The club levels and museum, while much larger at Kyle, look to share some similar design elements. Your stadium, in part, echoes back some features of Memorial Stadium, and the names around the stadium will be the same. We are also lowering our field and adding additional seating to the front rows to bring fans closer to the action like at TCF.

I would argue that your students don't really have bad seats because the bleachers are so close to the action. The upper level is a bit chilly when the wind is blowing through the open endzone, however. I think at least a small part of the student attendance problem is that the seats are too inexpensive and too good. Our students would kill to be able to pay $84 a season and walk right into the good seat of their choosing. Instead, we pay $225 and have to wait in line one morning the week of the game to get assigned tickets, which for freshmen could be three decks up at the goal line.

In my opinion, you are less likely to miss a game if you paid more for it and had to spend a day waiting in line than if it didn't cost that much.

One thing that might help is having different student organizations (greek, student government, etc.) lobby for assigned blocks of seating at the beginning of each year. If a section is empty, that fraternity or whomever can be razzed by the others, and next year their assigned block moves to a worse location. You would have the officers of each organization rallying their members to show up so that the organization as a whole gets good seats (which they can use for recruiting and as a matter of pride). Or, forget the seating blocks and develop a system where a student ID card swipe to get into the stadium counts as a point for their primary organization. The top X organizations for overall attendance win $Y of student activity funding for the spring semester or use of some designated special tailgate area.

At the end of the day, if anyone is going to convince a student to show up to a football game, it's not the administrators or former students, it's their peers and student leaders. If your sorority president tells you to go, you're much more likely to go.

Of course, this gets people in, but they may leave early. There could be something compelling at the start of the fourth quarter for students to participate in, i.e. Enter Sandman, Jump Around, or Aggie War Hymn type of thing. I know there is popular music played at that time at TCF, but make it epic for students and even add a sponsored prize. Best costume, craziest dance, etc. wins dinner for four, brought to you courtesy of Sample Local Business. Just some thoughts.

Students, ours included, don't know how good they have it. They get cheap tickets and don't really have anything else pressing to do on weekends like adults might. Yet many want to throw away a great opportunity and take going to games for granted.

Our student body stands in our seats for the duration of the entire game, including timeouts and even halftime (except when the other band marches). No one leaves the stands for the restroom or concessions unless they really have to, and they come right back. There's no culture of hanging out in the concourse or anything. However, I wonder how this might change when we have a more bright and open concourse with better concession and restroom facilities. I'm interested in learning how you maintain a culture of staying for the game when you have a great facility like TCF to hang out in.

I love the ideas in the bolded paragraph. It could create friendly competition amongst groups in the university, maybe even have a traveling trophy or something to the best organization. Thanks for the out-of-the box ideas.

Parski's incessant complaining just proves that he is NOT an imitation cheap dumazz. It proves he is a REAL cheap dumazz. :)

Thanks Dr.Don - You always explain things in terms that I can understand.;)

I love the ideas in the bolded paragraph. It could create friendly competition amongst groups in the university, maybe even have a traveling trophy or something to the best organization. Thanks for the out-of-the box ideas.

It's pretty sad that some of the best ideas for getting students to actually attend came from a fan of another team. I like the ideas and think it would be great if they were to take off.

It's pretty sad that some of the best ideas for getting students to actually attend came from a fan of another team. I like the ideas and think it would be great if they were to take off.

It is a good thought. However, I think it hurts the hardcore fans. You lose the general admission aspect. I like being able to get a good seat by arriving early. I imagine if I were a student and was told that I had to sit behind a student organization when they don't pay more than I do, I would be annoyed. And I am too rational (stubborn) to join organization xyz just because they have good seats at football games.

Maybe they could have half of the student section set aside for this, but then if I were to be in an organization with bad seats, I would move to the common area. It would hurt my group's attendance but I would likely still do it. When I live for fall Saturdays, I am going to do what I can to get the best seat I can for the price that I pay.

All of that said, maybe it would work. Maybe it would get a better draw for casual fans.

You could also reserve the first ten or so rows for a spirit organization and call it Gopher Town. To sit there you have to wear the maroon and gold striped overalls and be really rowdy during the game. Maybe they have paddles or cowbells or whatever to set them apart. As it becomes fun to sit with these guys, you expand their section to twenty, then thirty rows, and after that you have started a culture and a tradition.

You also have your Gopher Town crew put up signs around campus the week of big games, host tailgates, paint signs, etc. to add to the awareness and experience of gameday.

Texas+v+Oklahoma+State+Jb8602dEA_0l.jpg

cowbell.jpg

77720928_crop_650x440.jpg

2888906332_bc88cce6d7.jpg

199702_10151133235501926_1831877349_n.jpg

Just don't go too crazy, or else you will look like the last two sets of losers.

Also, if there is a huge annual student event or a big hockey game or something else students get pumped about, give students who have swiped in to every home football game a 10 minute head start on registering for that event/tickets. Reward them for being loyal to the football program.

TAggie, once again, is posting gold!

You could also reserve the first ten or so rows for a spirit organization and call it Gopher Town. To sit there you have to wear the maroon and gold striped overalls and be really rowdy during the game. Maybe they have paddles or cowbells or whatever to set them apart. As it becomes fun to sit with these guys, you expand their section to twenty, then thirty rows, and after that you have started a culture and a tradition.

Not to rain on any ideas because I'm as big a proponent of literally throwing anything and everything out there (especially if you have dirt-cheap student labor to help run it) and MEASURE RESULTS (the marketing/analytics person in me). But I'm pretty sure they've done this for at least a few years.. they got a student org put together that came up with some stuff and this was one of them, they even get special shirts to wear and they have priority for the first 3 rows. They also have something like this now to line the tunnel as the team comes out. Hey, they're trying!!

But I'm pretty sure they've done this for at least a few years.. they got a student org put together that came up with some stuff and this was one of them, they even get special shirts to wear and they have priority for the first 3 rows.

I was not aware of any such effort, so please forgive my ignorance. The one Gopher home game I attended I was able to secure front row seats in the student section and there did not seem to be any special shirts around. However, it was also Halloween weekend and many students were in costume. If that group is still around today, they let an interloper Aggie among their ranks! Although, they may have been fooled by my maroon camouflage.

I'm not sure about how this would work at a football game, but during Aggie Basketball the Reed Rowdies pass out large cardboard cutout heads of all the players throughout the student section, or maybe along the first couple of rows. It increases your chances of being seen on television or the video board, and perhaps the students with a head would feel an obligation to stay. Put an ad on the backside from a sponsor (and only let the heads be held up during stoppages in play) so the folks in the rows behind would see them. Put a few Goldy heads in the crowd for good measure.

I was not aware of any such effort, so please forgive my ignorance. The one Gopher home game I attended I was able to secure front row seats in the student section and there did not seem to be any special shirts around. However, it was also Halloween weekend and many students were in costume. If that group is still around today, they let an interloper Aggie among their ranks! Although, they may have been fooled by my maroon camouflage.

I'm not sure about how this would work at a football game, but during Aggie Basketball the Reed Rowdies pass out large cardboard cutout heads of all the players throughout the student section, or maybe along the first couple of rows. It increases your chances of being seen on television or the video board, and perhaps the students with a head would feel an obligation to stay. Put an ad on the backside from a sponsor (and only let the heads be held up during stoppages in play) so the folks in the rows behind would see them. Put a few Goldy heads in the crowd for good measure.

Aggie, thank you for all you add to our board. The only reason I started this OP was to get your a$$ back here and talk with us about some good ideas to help all of Gopher Fans enjoy the experience. Too many say "Just Win, They Will Come". That is total b.s. We need the kids to hype the crowd. The kids hype the crowd, the crowd hypes the team. That is true be it football or basketball.

I never followed Aggie sports till you joined us. Now I root for you guys and Johnny Football. Good luck to you guys, and if we meet in head to head competition, I want us to kick your a$$es

Top Bottom