Terrifying Article

AEmerson40

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...acy-claeys-enjoying-stint-sideline?source=pkg

Claeys, 44, who has been an assistant to Kill for 19 years, was asked last week if he has aspirations to be a full-time head coach.

"If somebody would approach you, I'd think you'd look at it and see if it's a better thing than what you're doing, if that's the right time in your career," he said.

"I think I'm more than capable of doing it. But it would have to be the right situation at the right place. It would be awfully hard to go into coach Kill's office and tell him I'm leaving somewhere after everything the guy's done for me and how good he's been for me for 19 years.

"But if someone came along and was interested, then obviously I'd listen."

Anyone in his position would do the same. I would bet any coordinator at a BCS conference is hoping to one day be a head coach.

Who knows? He could be the head coach here in a few years. I'm sure he knows how to play his cards.

Somebody asked him something about being the head coach and he said, "I'm not the head coach. Jerry Kill's the head coach." He hasn't been perfect, but I'm sure that he'd love the chance to step up if the position was offered. This has been the best job interview he could ask for, if he does desire to move on. He's basically pulling double duty. He now has a ton of media responsibilities and he's done really well for a guy who isn't much of a talker.

I actually prefer comments like this as opposed to the one he made a few weeks ago about tending bar if it doesn't work out here. I don't think he would chase a head coaching gig at a small school but if does well enough here and a good offer comes in it wouldn't shock me to see him go for it. That being said I think we are still a ways from that point as he is just now starting to get any real national attention with stepping in for Kill.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...acy-claeys-enjoying-stint-sideline?source=pkg

Claeys, 44, who has been an assistant to Kill for 19 years, was asked last week if he has aspirations to be a full-time head coach.

"If somebody would approach you, I'd think you'd look at it and see if it's a better thing than what you're doing, if that's the right time in your career," he said.

"I think I'm more than capable of doing it. But it would have to be the right situation at the right place. It would be awfully hard to go into coach Kill's office and tell him I'm leaving somewhere after everything the guy's done for me and how good he's been for me for 19 years.

"But if someone came along and was interested, then obviously I'd listen."

This is the USA! A coach has GOT to listen if somebody wants to offer or...if the phone rings. And that is the way it works. Everybody loves you and wants you to be the coach when they love you and want you to be the coach. And, IF things don't go so well for a while, the ba$tards on the other end of the phone...or the administrators who want to talk to you will buy out your contract IF they have the money to buy your contract out and it's the end of the line. Or, in the case of an assistant, they will cut you a little severance pay check. So, listen when they are talking...Make hay while the sun shines, because it just might be raining tomorrow.

Some fans think loyalty doesn't come with a price tag. But...loyalty has a price tag on it...AND a LOT of guaranteed years remaining on the contract...

So, when they talk you have GOT to listen Coach, it's part of the American Dream!

By the title of this thread I thought the bad news was about Rashede having a concussion and not being able to play in the next games after he got banged up on that one play, he went back in but I felt like there was a possibility he would have to take a concussion test mad not be able to play the next week, this was a huge relief, as for clayes I ain't worried 'bout it

By the title of this thread I thought the bad news was about Rashede having a concussion and not being able to play in the next games after he got banged up on that one play, he went back in but I felt like there was a possibility he would have to take a concussion test mad not be able to play the next week, this was a huge relief, as for clayes I ain't worried 'bout it

The possibility (and I recognize we are a long way from this happening) of Claeys leaving the program is a lot scarier to me than Shede missing one game.

He's paid his dues, I'd hate to see him go but I wouldn't blame him one bit.

if kill cant get his epilepsy together.. the raises to the coaching staff should go to his coordinators

I think we should just run with interim coaches. Between Horton and Claeys, we are pretty damn good.

Why is this terrifying? I'd be more concerned if he claimed he wouldn't listen. He's done a commendable job, but he doesn't strike me as the type of 'sexy' candidate who's going to have significant jobs beating his door down. And would he leave here for say, New Mexico State? If it does happen, more power to him.

"Terrifying" would be if no one wanted to talk to our staff.

+1 There's nothing terrifying about a coordinator being open to moving on to becoming a head coach. It beats having coordinators that no one else wants.

I don't see him getting a job above the MAC as a HC. I'm more worried about the Vikings calling for a DC.

I'm glad none of them would consider a lateral move to a higher profile program. With success, comes other teams promoting your assts. that's a good problem to have.

Side not and funny story, a family friend was at Lunds after the game at 4pm and saw coach claeys doing a little grocery shopping. He is such a normal down to earth guy, really like coach.

Is anybody else worried...

I know it may be too soon to be thinking like this, but is anybody else worried that we could lose Claeys to another team this coming offseason? I believe that if he keeps up at this rate of success and we win at least two of our remaining games, putting us at 8 wins, it could be a real possibility.

Now I know that Claeys has been with Kill the longest out of the entire staff; but if this string of success continues, he may be mentioned for a few of the vacant head coach positions that are bound to open up in the offseason. And if the opportunity were to present itself for him to take over a college football program, the offer may be too good to refuse. Further, it may be tough to step back into his defensive coordinator position after getting a taste of what managing a football program is like.

If it were to happen, I'd obviously wish Coach Claeys the best in his future; but what I'm truly worried about is what that might do to our coaching staff. Would he try to take a few of our coaches with him? Obviously, it's pure speculation at this point, but it is something to think about if we have continued success under him.

No, not worried. I for once wish we would be in a position where coaches are getting hired away vs. getting fired.

I know it may be too soon to be thinking like this, but is anybody else worried that we could lose Claeys to another team this coming offseason? I believe that if he keeps up at this rate of success and we win at least two of our remaining games, putting us at 8 wins, it could be a real possibility.

Now I know that Claeys has been with Kill the longest out of the entire staff; but if this string of success continues, he may be mentioned for a few of the vacant head coach positions that are bound to open up in the offseason. And if the opportunity were to present itself for him to take over a college football program, the offer may be too good to refuse. Further, it may be tough to step back into his defensive coordinator position after getting a taste of what managing a football program is like.

If it were to happen, I'd obviously wish Coach Claeys the best in his future; but what I'm truly worried about is what that might do to our coaching staff. Would he try to take a few of our coaches with him? Obviously, it's pure speculation at this point, but it is something to think about if we have continued success under him.

I think Claey's respects coach kill too much to take assistants from him. If he left, he would do it with class.

If a MAC school offered him a job and he left I'd wish him well and thank him for his contribution to the program. If say a school like Texas offered him $1 million a year to be their DC I'd do the same. If he left to be a DC at another BCS conference school for maybe slightly more I would be completely stunned.

The sentiments here about thanking the guy and wishing him well if he got a chance at a Head Coaching job or a big, big payday are nice to read. Thanks for expressing them. I feel the same way. Very classy, a lot of good people around here.

Odds of Claeys Moving On?

In no way am I saying this is happening or anything, but the way the team has performed under him will undoubtedly garner him some attention in the off-season for a HC job. Just wondering what everyone's thought are and what it would take for him to go.
Personally I think he'll see some non-BCS type HC offers and maybe some other DC jobs in the BCS conferences. I don't see him leaving though unless the offer is extremely lucrative. Do you think we could offer him a HCIW (head coach in waiting) type of offer to keep him around?

In no way am I saying this is happening or anything, but the way the team has performed under him will undoubtedly garner him some attention in the off-season for a HC job. Just wondering what everyone's thought are and what it would take for him to go.
Personally I think he'll see some non-BCS type HC offers and maybe some other DC jobs in the BCS conferences. I don't see him leaving though unless the offer is extremely lucrative. Do you think we could offer him a HCIW (head coach in waiting) type of offer to keep him around?

The administration needs to see how valuable he is to the program(and Coach Kill) and reward him with a more lucrative contract. He understands the profession and needs to be rewarded for it. He is the "silent" type that sits in the background and makes alot of the decisions about the program. He is the one that Jerry "bounces" alot of decisions off of before he makes them.

I don't see him getting a job above the MAC as a HC. I'm more worried about the Vikings calling for a DC.
Many coaches have taken less money to get an opportunity to be a head coach, for a lot of reasons. The MAC is a pretty great place to start, even if he could theoretically get more money being a coordinator here or elsewhere.

In no way am I saying this is happening or anything, but the way the team has performed under him will undoubtedly garner him some attention in the off-season for a HC job.

Don Treadwell is one example I can think of. He took over MSU and was successful for about 3 games. He lasted less than 2 1/2 years at Miami-Ohio. 8-21 overall and 6-11 in the MAC.

If say a school like Texas offered him $1 million a year to be their DC I'd do the same.
Yeah that's not going to happen. Claeys has done a really good job here, but none of our defenses have been anything better than above-average to this point. The most impressive blurb on his resume has been how he's handled the last two weeks as interim head coach, and that's not going to raise his profile that much as a strictly defensive guy.

As a point of comparison, Pat Narduzzi, the best defensive coordinator in the B1G, makes 500k a year. He could make more, I'm sure, but very few defensive coordinators are going to make quadruple figures.

Don Treadwell is one example I can thing of. He took over MSU and was successful for about 3 games. He lasted less than 2 1/2 years at Miami-Ohio. 8-21 overall and 6-11 in the MAC.
Ruffin McNeal took over as interim coach at Texas Tech after Leach got fired. He was hired at East Carolina the next year. It's pretty common.

Might Kansas of Kansas State be options? We'll see how the season plays out.

Top Bottom