Terrible Reusse Article

I read with great disdain the post by Upnorth, and all he/she/it showed me was that he/she/it now has no credibility on anything in GopherHole any longer.

GopherLady - You have zero credibility on this matter for two reasons:

(1) You are a friend of Royce White - it is only natural that you will try to make excuses for him.

(2) Your are a Woman - it is only natural that you will always try to see the best in people and give them the benefit of the doubt. Most women I know were raised that way and I would not be with any other kind. But people who have to make personnel decisions in any field (including athletics) cannot afford to ignore evidence about the worst in people. The overall success of any organization absolutely depends on correct decisions being made.

Tubby screwed up big time with his decision to sign Royce White. We can only imagine what kind of behavior it takes to get kicked out of any high school when you are one of the best basketball players in the country. What is the over/under on how many chances they gave him before they decided to expel him. I put it in double digits. There were red flags all over this kid and he has fully justified the concerns that many people had about him. I agree with Reusse. Tubby never should have signed White. And he should have immediately suspended him for at least the entire season for assaulting a security guard (twice).

UpNorth - I'd like to address your concerns:

1. I don't believe Royce would ever call me a friend of his, nor would I him. He is a player, and I interviewed him a number of times, and followed his career for a few years. We worked together to produce his blog last year and yes, I got to know him better than posters like yourself. During his senior year, he was always respectful to me, but I would hardly call that a "friendship."

As to making "excuses" for him - where have I don't this during his Gopher career? Could you please show me any post where I've defended his alleged actions? Did I stick up for him in HS? Absolutely. I saw a nice kid with a phenomenal talent.

You can only imagine the behavior it took to get kicked out - because I'm guessing you don't know what it was. My sources told me there were two main incidents...one was where he got cheating on a test (and I'm sure he's the only kid that's ever done that, the rest of us never had wandering eyes), and he threw his teacher's lunch away in class when she told him he couldn't eat in class. Have you heard anything different? I have heard variations of these stories, and while they are not something you would want your child to do - they are far from writing off a kid for the rest of his life. As to your point about suspending him for the entire season - glad you'd take that knee jerk reaction. I'm glad Tubby is our coach instead of you, because he actually seems to be getting the facts straight. That's how informed people make a very important decision. Can you tell me, have you read the police report? Have you talked to Royce? Have you looked at all the evidence? If you haven't I bet Tubby has or is doing that - which is probably why it's taking a little longer for a decision. However, he has not seen the floor and if he's guilty, I doubt he will.

There is something I will never defend, and that is violence. If you would take a look to see what I've said about this situation (because things have obviously changed since high school) please look at this post:

Post to CRG on Royce

2. You did say something factual in you 2nd point, I am a woman. With that being said, you can ask many of my real friends about me. I am one of the most judgmental people you will ever meet (trust me, I know it's not my best quality. I do know people that meet others and see the good in them (you won't believe this, but I actually know more men that do that then women) and I envy that. I am the person that sizes people up instantly, I pick out all of their faults, and if I can tolerate their faults, then they become my friends.

As for the topic at hand - you will notice that I was defending Tubby, not Royce. So tell me...how should Tubby of handled this? When this 5 star recruit came to him and said he loves the Gophers and want to be one, how would you of handled it. Would you have told him to go to one of the other 30 schools he had offers from? Who else would you have recruited in his place? Royce is not only a 5 star recruit, but he also plays a position we needed.

I'm just glad Tubby is mentoring these kids instead of giving up on them like you. Some will work out, some will not. You miss 100% of the shots you never take.

I read with great disdain the post by Upnorth, and all he/she/it showed me was that he/she/it now has no credibility on anything in GopherHole any longer.

I agree. I just re-learned how to use the ignore function for the 2nd time ever.

1) Where oh where has anyone defended Royce at the expense of Rodney?
2) Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys - OR - If Mama ain't happy - ain't nobody happy. Up Yours, I can only laugh at the notion that women are inherently more universally accepting of behavior. As a woman, I can tell you the there are about 10,000 people ready to disagree with you - all those who blame their miserable life on their mother. The reality is, we hope for more from the men in our lives.

I'll affirm again: Tubby Smith had the chance to turn Royce's life around. Given the timing of the collapse, Royce never gave Tubby the chance and the responsibility lies with Royce.

(1) You are a friend of Royce White - it is only natural that you will try to make excuses for him.

(2) Your are a Woman - it is only natural that you will always try to see the best in people and give them the benefit of the doubt. Most women I know were raised that way and I would not be with any other kind. But people who have to make personnel decisions in any field (including athletics) cannot afford to ignore evidence about the worst in people. The overall success of any organization absolutely depends on correct decisions being made.

Putrid post. What is wrong with you?!

Wow

Tubby screwed up big time with his decision to sign Royce White. We can only imagine what kind of behavior it takes to get kicked out of any high school when you are one of the best basketball players in the country. What is the over/under on how many chances they gave him before they decided to expel him. I put it in double digits. There were red flags all over this kid and he has fully justified the concerns that many people had about him. I agree with Reusse. Tubby never should have signed White. And he should have immediately suspended him for at least the entire season for assaulting a security guard (twice).

Did you really just say that?! I vote that the dumbest/most ignorant post in the history of Gopherhole. And I also vote that you get banned for that comment also. You sir are a complete and utter *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag.

1) Where oh where has anyone defended Royce at the expense of Rodney?
2) Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys - OR - If Mama ain't happy - ain't nobody happy. Up Yours, I can only laugh at the notion that women are inherently more universally accepting of behavior. As a woman, I can tell you the there are about 10,000 people ready to disagree with you - all those who blame their miserable life on their mother. The reality is, we hope for more from the men in our lives.

I'll affirm again: Tubby Smith had the chance to turn Royce's life around. Given the timing of the collapse, Royce never gave Tubby the chance and the responsibility lies with Royce.

Moonlight, thank you for referencing one of the greatest songs of all time. Gotta love Waylon Jennings and Wille Nelson.

Top Bottom