Ted Stieber leaving tea

He isn't listed on the updated roster.

Thats a little bit of a blow to the interior line depth considering Moore and Terry won't be on the team next year either. Steiber had some nice size at 6-6, 320 and I thought he would have been a nice backup.

Interior O-line depth chart goes from something like this
OG:Calhoun, Dovich/Steiber
OC: Moore, Mayes
OG: Weyler, Terry

to
OG: Calhoun, Dovich
OC: Mayes, Olson
OG: Weyler, Schlueter

A lot less depth now.

He mentions Calhoun, Wright and Weyler as being out for spring ball.

A big blow to an already decimated line.

Any possibility of grad transfers, jc, or unsigned players?

Too bad they de-committed Jimmie Terry who signed with Southern Mississippi.

This isn't a rip on Steiber, but he is the kind of person on the roster that often transfers. This isn't like losing Moore.

He appeared to be buried on the depth chart. His only action last season was in a blowout to Indiana State and it's hard to see where he was going to fit on the depth chart. This is especially true when you consider Olsen and Schlueter were praised last year during their RS season. Don't get me wrong, we seem pretty thin at OL now because of injuries, I am just not sure Streiber really was going to see much PT in 2017 or going forward.

Yet another reason I didn't like that they ran off Jimmie Terry.

This isn't a rip on Steiber, but he is the kind of person on the roster that often transfers. This isn't like losing Moore.

He appeared to be buried on the depth chart. His only action last season was in a blowout to Indiana State and it's hard to see where he was going to fit on the depth chart. This is especially true when you consider Olsen and Schlueter were praised last year during their RS season. Don't get me wrong, we seem pretty thin at OL now because of injuries, I am just not sure Streiber really was going to see much PT in 2017 or going forward.

I don't think he was buried. I think he would have battled Dovich for the top backup interior lineman and would only be one or maybe two injuries away (a likely occurrence) from playing. I think it hurts the depth a lot or at least a decent amount.

Maybe Olson or Schlueter would have been ahead of him but he has 25-30 pounds on both according to the roster and is a year older so I think you have to assume he would have been ahead of them on the depth chart. And Burns said the departure was primarily injury related, not necessarily due to the depth chart.

If the new staff didn't feel like he was a viable option as a potential starter I could see them not wanting to waste a scholarship on a reserve. Don't know the whole story but these O-Line coaches we have now are very highly regarded so if they didn't want the kid there was probably a pretty solid reason.

If the new staff didn't feel like he was a viable option as a potential starter I could see them not wanting to waste a scholarship on a reserve. Don't know the whole story but these O-Line coaches we have now are very highly regarded so if they didn't want the kid there was probably a pretty solid reason.

I think they ran off Terry before Fleck hired Wariner and Callahan.

Why, because he was a body? Set your expectations higher, the kid went to southern miss.

Why, because he was a body? Set your expectations higher, the kid went to southern miss.

He would have likely been the top backup interior lineman and a top 6 or maybe 7 lineman overall. I think that's a little bit more than just a "body" and i'm fine using a scholarship on that type of player for depth. Now he, Moore and Steiber are all gone.

In case you haven't noticed, they do need bodies. And Southern Mississippi has had a quality football program for quite some time now, no need to slight them.

I think they ran off Terry before Fleck hired Wariner and Callahan.

Could certainly prove to be a mistake but I think if they truly believed he would be able to help us they would have hung onto him. Maybe they just didn't mesh personality wise, culture and attitude are huge factors for Fleck and maybe he didn't like the vibe he got from Terry. Outside of one of them flat out addressing the reasons (which of course we know won't happen) we will most likely never know why the decision was made.

Boys,boys...... It's not over till it is over. We could get a late qualifier. He doesn't have a tackling
Spring Game. It is a walk through.

Yeah, I would have taken another body to be honest.

A JuCo at this spot helps us keep the classes a little more balanced (our FR class is huge), it gives us depth and it would allow us to not burn a RS we wouldn't otherwise. So yeah, depth, especially depth that is part of the JR Class, the class that now has what 14 scholarship players? That's going to be an awful small recruiting class when they graduate.

Could certainly prove to be a mistake but I think if they truly believed he would be able to help us they would have hung onto him. Maybe they just didn't mesh personality wise, culture and attitude are huge factors for Fleck and maybe he didn't like the vibe he got from Terry. Outside of one of them flat out addressing the reasons (which of course we know won't happen) we will most likely never know why the decision was made.

Sounded like they never even talked at all so I don't think Fleck has any idea what type of personality he has.

He would have likely been the top backup interior lineman and a top 6 or maybe 7 lineman overall. I think that's a little bit more than just a "body" and i'm fine using a scholarship on that type of player for depth. Now he, Moore and Steiber are all gone.

No he wouldn't have or the staff would have signed him.

In case you haven't noticed, they do need bodies. And Southern Mississippi has had a quality football program for quite some time now, no need to slight them.

So despite our staff saying we are thin at OL, they still weren't interested. Why is that so hard to understand?

Thats a little bit of a blow to the interior line depth considering Moore and Terry won't be on the team next year either. Steiber had some nice size at 6-6, 320 and I thought he would have been a nice backup.

Interior O-line depth chart goes from something like this
OG:Calhoun, Dovich/Steiber
OC: Moore, Mayes
OG: Weyler, Terry

to
OG: Calhoun, Dovich
OC: Mayes, Olson
OG: Weyler, Schlueter

A lot less depth now.

Every year the past 4-5 years, players step up. I expect that to happen this year. Plenty of talent on this team and they play hard.

Every year the past 4-5 years, players step up. I expect that to happen this year. Plenty of talent on this team and they play hard.

Sure, I do expect guys to step up in their absence but I'd rather they step up in addition to still having those guys.

Yeah, I would have taken another body to be honest.

A JuCo at this spot helps us keep the classes a little more balanced (our FR class is huge), it gives us depth and it would allow us to not burn a RS we wouldn't otherwise. So yeah, depth, especially depth that is part of the JR Class, the class that now has what 14 scholarship players? That's going to be an awful small recruiting class when they graduate.

And knowing all that, and that Terry desperately wanted to be here, they still passed.

So despite our staff saying we are thin at OL, they still weren't interested. Why is that so hard to understand?
Fleck wanted his own guys. Not one of Claeys out of state recruits stuck. That doesn't mean they're no good and couldn't have contributed.

Fleck wanted his own guys. Not one of Claeys out of state recruits stuck. That doesn't mean they're no good and couldn't have contributed.

Fleck wanted good players. He was happy to take guys the previous staff recruited when he thought they were good. See Handy Holly, Douglas, and Paulson as examples.

Gopher fans seriously have to be the most insecure group of people on the planet and feel like we should take any player with a pulse that wants to be here.

Top Bottom