Ted Roof, Auburn DC

Letsgogophers

Reaction score
Just heard another name being looked at, former Gopher DC Ted Roof. He first head coaching experience was not great, but he can build a defense. Much like current Auburn head coach Gene Chizik who flopped at Iowa State, he could be a guy who would flourish in his second stint at a head coach. This guy is a rock star on defense and would be a good candidate.

1. Glen Mason
2. Marc Trestman
3. Ted Roof

Keep 'em coming, I want ten names by the end of next week.

Although I do think Roof is a very good coach, I think we need to break all ties with the Brewster regime and start with a new attitude.

Ted Roof's "home" in Atlanta didn't get any closer to Minneapolis in the last two years.

Just heard another name being looked at, former Gopher DC Ted Roof. He first head coaching experience was not great, but he can build a defense. Much like current Auburn head coach Gene Chizik who flopped at Iowa State, he could be a guy who would flourish in his second stint at a head coach. This guy is a rock star on defense and would be a good candidate.

He did great things for us, so yes there's a track record there. Unfortunately, his stint at Duke didn't turn out (as a head coach he's 6-45).

As a DC, he rocks. As an HC...we just got rid of someone that was 15-30.

The defense got better after Roof left.

2008 under Roof:
80th in total defense
61st in scoring defense
93rd in pass defense
68th in rush defense

2009 under Cosgrove:
63rd in total defense
51st in scoring defense
55th in pass defense
69th in rush defense

Because bolting the Gophers for more money at an SEC program after 1 season as our DC really suggests a penchant for loyalty. Yep, he's just the guy to build the program. :rolleyes:

Because bolting the Gophers for more money at an SEC program after 1 season as our DC really suggests a penchant for loyalty. Yep, he's just the guy to build the program. :rolleyes:

Particulary after, as been rumored, he got the job because he promised Brewster that he'd stay for at least two years.

Particulary after, as been rumored, he got the job because he promised Brewster that he'd stay for at least two years.

And Brewster never promised us a Rose Garden, but he did promise a Rose Bowl prior to the National Championship.

UMMMMMMMM.....................NO.

You have to be kidding me. :eek:

If I have to explain the humor, I guess it wasn't funny in the first place.

Gopher07 (Captain of Awesome) was making a list of candidates that people have thrown out that border on ridiculous. Mike Grant is that kind of a guy along with 6-45 Roof, Great White North Trestman, and I'll take your $4 million payout Mason.

Mike Grant is another wonderful addition to that list. People have thrown out his name (and of course he'd be interested), but High School Head Coach to D-1 is a HUGE step that is too stupid to even mention. The IQ of this board drops 10 points when we talk of Mike Grant.

--This is nothing against Mike Grant, he could be awesome with 20 more years of experience.

It was funny. Particularly because letsgogophers will probably start a thread extolling the virtues of Mike Grant within the next 24 hours :(

I have some more....

This is getting comical....if you read what Maturi and Pres. B have said winning record at the D1 level is key. (Bob said we've only done that once in the last 40 year...Holtz was it?)

Bill Callihan
Ty Willingham
John Cooper
Hal Mumme
Lou Tepper
Ron Turner
Ed Orgeron (sp?)

I can go on and on.

No, he didn't. He made a Rose Bowl a goal. There is a difference.

Why is it so hard for people around here just to say "I forgot" or "Yeah, I was wrong"?

The point you guys made about Rose Bowl promises was dead on. An even bigger difference though, is Roof made a personal promise behind closed doors to get a job. A promise to a guy who's job was on the line and who was being justifiably getting hammered for his turnover of Coordinators.

How could anybody think that Maturi and Briuninks, guys who were also lied to either directly or indirectly, would now say "Don't worry about it. Here's $2.5 million!

He did great things for us, so yes there's a track record there. Unfortunately, his stint at Duke didn't turn out (as a head coach he's 6-45).

You hit the nail on the head. Football history is filled with fabulous coordinators who boofed Fido as a HC. Anyone remember Les Steckel? Look at Mack Brown at Texas. He's not the greatest X's & O's guy. What he is a damn good administrator who knows how to surround himself with good people and run a program.

OTOH, from a program management standpoint, Brewster could fug up a 2 car funeral. And he never even was a coordinator. That's my biggest fear of hiring a OC or DC as a coach. Considering how far Brewster has driven the football program into the ditch, we need a proven manager more than a coach.

Oh, and BTW, as long as we're throwing out absolutely stoopid candidates, how about Mike Hohensee?

Why is it so hard for people around here just to say "I forgot" or "Yeah, I was wrong"?

The point you guys made about Rose Bowl promises was dead on. An even bigger difference though, is Roof made a personal promise behind closed doors to get a job. A promise to a guy who's job was on the line and who was being justifiably getting hammered for his turnover of Coordinators.

How could anybody think that Maturi and Briuninks, guys who were also lied to either directly or indirectly, would now say "Don't worry about it. Here's $2.5 million!

I'd say he made the right choice. Ummm, double your salary, coach on a potential championship team, not have to listen to Brewsters blow. We don't know ANY promised were made. We DO know that Brewster lied to get his job in the first place. He said he had a standing offer from Iowa State, and they had no interest in interviewing him. Maturi fell for it.

Taking the Duke job is like trying to push a chain. It may well be that he would be a good HC, but I would prefer someone who has proved it.

Taking the Duke job is like trying to push a chain. It may well be that he would be a good HC, but I would prefer someone who has proved it.

You make a good point. Choice may come down to proven above averge head coach, or top coodinator with big upside. No one liked Mason, and he was a proven HC, right?

I'd say he made the right choice. Ummm, double your salary, coach on a potential championship team, not have to listen to Brewsters blow. We don't know ANY promised were made. We DO know that Brewster lied to get his job in the first place. He said he had a standing offer from Iowa State, and they had no interest in interviewing him. Maturi fell for it.

There's the difference. If he didn't say it, despite what Brewster and Maturi said, then he at least could be worth an interview. If he did say it then you'd apparently wouldn't care and you'd expect him to be hired anyway? Even though there appear to be many other candidates and the question of what he said would certainly come-up? Seriously?

This appears to be less about Roof then your blind hatred of Brewster and Maturi or inability to admit you just may be wrong.

Yeah, that's been a problem around here for years though most of the most blatant practitioners were supposed banned. :)

<b> We DO know that Brewster lied </b>to get his job in the first place. <b>He said he had a standing offer from Iowa State</b>, and they had no interest in interviewing him. Maturi fell for it.

Uh, considering Iowa State hired Gene Chizik 34 days BEFORE Glen Mason was even fired, I do find it hard to believe that Joel Maturi fell for the idea that Brewster had a standing offer from ISU.

Brewster told Maturi he was contacted by ISU to gauge his interest the month before. I think it is safe to say that the search firm likely contacted Brewster. Maturi used the same firm that ISU used. Maturi and ISU AD Jamie Pollard are pretty good friends. I have a pretty good idea that Joel knew what the situation was between Brewster/ISU.

I just posted this on the Lou Holtz thread:

If Lou was hired, I would burn my UofM flag, demand a refund on my lifetime alumni association membership, and begin to do my part to financially support the Badgers and the Hawkeyes football programs; and I hate those programs.

You just added one more name that would get the same reaction from me.

Even if he didn't promise anything, he effed the program over. Not the kind of guy you give your HC job to.

Uh, considering Iowa State hired Gene Chizik 34 days BEFORE Glen Mason was even fired, I do find it hard to believe that Joel Maturi fell for the idea that Brewster had a standing offer from ISU.

Brewster told Maturi he was contacted by ISU to gauge his interest the month before. I think it is safe to say that the search firm likely contacted Brewster. Maturi used the same firm that ISU used. Maturi and ISU AD Jamie Pollard are pretty good friends. I have a pretty good idea that Joel knew what the situation was between Brewster/ISU.

Brewster was never contacted by Iowa State. He kept calling and they didn't answer...it you're interested. His comments were totally false. He started with a lie, and went on from there. I have no bone to pick with Maturi. From all I hear hes a nice guy.

I was just looking stuff up, the 2009 defense was the first Gopher team since 1999 not to give up 40 points in a single game. It also gave the least points in a season since 2004, and 2003 was an 11 game season.

joke?

I hope this was in jest. Auburn fans can't stand the guy, his defenses haven't been good down here. Luckily they can score 60+ so no one notices.
I don't want either, but I'd take Gus Malzhan over Roof.

He hasn't done a great job at Auburn IMO. Their defense hasn't been good the past two seasons.

Brewster was never contacted by Iowa State. He kept calling and they didn't answer...it you're interested. His comments were totally false. He started with a lie, and went on from there. I have no bone to pick with Maturi. From all I hear hes a nice guy.

Ok. I'm sure you know exactly who the ISU search firm contacted and who they didn't.

Hell, two hours ago you were telling us that Brewster said he had a "standing offer" from ISU, which would have been impossible. So, pardon me, if I don't believe what you're trying to say now.

You also said he told people he had interviewed. Do you have a link to him making that claim? I think his comment was he was contacted about the job.

I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that the search firm contacted Brewster about the ISU job, gave ISU Brewster's name, and ISU politely said we're not interested in Brewster.

Brewster, in turn, probably mentioned that he'd been contacted about the ISU job.

You're trying to make this into something it isn't. I doubt Maturi hired Brewster based on the fact he told him ISU contacted him. Again, Maturi and Pollard are buddies. Pretty sure they likely talked about the hire between themselves.

Top Bottom