Teams On Serious Upset Alert This Week (Minnesota)

Purdue is the Colorado of two years ago. A team the fan base wants to overrate and be worried about. Their defense is far worse than last year.

I'd rather go into the Purdue game with the idea that they could pull off an upset. That way a victory means more to me when it happens. I couldn't feel that way when it came to NM St, Western Illinois, and Colorado but I did feel that way going into Mich State and I'm going to continue feeling that way until we play a team that looks hopeless.

If the Gophers are "upset" this year, it simply means they lost to a better team. As of right now, I don't see one on their schedule.

So, Bowling Green actually was a better team than us last year? Illinois must have been too even though they lost 7 games last season.

I swear that some of the people who post here have the memories of alzheimer's patients. Either that or they have no capacity to recognize their own ridiculous statements.

So, Bowling Green actually was a better team than us last year? Illinois must have been too even though they lost 7 games last season.

I swear that some of the people who post here have the memories of alzheimer's patients. Either that or they have no capacity to recognize their own ridiculous statements.
I'm talking about this year's team. You are right about my memory though.

I mean, odd stuff can happen, but the way this team appears to be locked in, I don't see how Purdue stays within 24 points of Minnesota.
This could very well be a 40-10 game.

I'm talking about this year's team. You are right about my memory though.

Look, as the old saying goes: "Shit happens." If we had played a three game series with Bowling Green last year, I have little doubt that we would have won the next two games but that wouldn't change the fact that we lost a game to them. I agree this year's team is better than last year's but if Bowling Green could beat last year's team, then someone on our remaining schedule can beat this year's team.

Look, as the old saying goes: "Shit happens." If we had played a three game series with Bowling Green last year, I have little doubt that we would have won the next two games but that wouldn't change the fact that we lost a game to them. I agree this year's team is better than last year's but if Bowling Green could beat last year's team, then someone on our remaining schedule can beat this year's team.
You have to remember who our offensive coordinator was last year. This coaching staff would have never lost to Bowling Green or Illinois.

I don't think so. What's the big psychological difference between losing by 7 and losing by 14?
Because for Iowa 14 is insurmountable

I’m not talking about the season, I’m talking about the game. If they fell behind 14 it’ll get really ugly

I like your attitude. Fleck embodies it when he says each game is a one-game season. Take each game at a time and never be over confident. My guess is that 90% of the people on this board didn't see Illinois last season as a possible loss and 100% didn't see Bowling Green as a possible loss but they happened.
Sanford.

Because for Iowa 14 is insurmountable

I’m not talking about the season, I’m talking about the game. If they fell behind 14 it’ll get really ugly

Against Michigan for the game, I agree.

You have to remember who our offensive coordinator was last year. This coaching staff would have never lost to Bowling Green or Illinois.

OK, you seem to have a problem with others' caution so I'll say this: As long as we have Kirk and Joe, we'll never lose another game. Happy now?

I wouldn't mind them struggling or at least having it be tight into the 2nd half this weekend. Need to see how this team plays a closer game, or has to mount something.

Maybe not this week, but sometime they need to show they can play any type of game. Not just from the lead

If the Gophers are "upset" this year, it simply means they lost to a better team. As of right now, I don't see one on their schedule.
As long as the defense doesn't give up explosive plays, they won't lose! The offense can do whatever it wants against any opponent they face .

You're comparing apples and oranges!

Not really about upsets, but I heard Freddie Coleman on the radio tonight and he was quizzed about 4-0 teams and asked if they are real or fake. He said that that Gophers 4-0 record is fake. I think that he is not paying attention.

Not really about upsets, but I heard Freddie Coleman on the radio tonight and he was quizzed about 4-0 teams and asked if they are real or fake. He said that that Gophers 4-0 record is fake. I think that he is not paying attention.
I wonder if he thinks Michigan's 4-0 is fake also as they have nearly identical resumes with the difference being MI struggled against a quality opponent and MN did not!

Thinking we defeat Purdue fairly easily. Looking forward to seeing our pass defense agaisnt the Boilers.

Boiler down!

We've had Purdue's goat of late for sure, 4 in a row and 8 of the last 9, but I feel like they've surprised us in the past and I'm sure they're probably angry and tired of losing. Don't know that this counts for much though.

I have to imagine we have a better record against Purdue in the last decade than against any other B1G team, right? I assume people are picking it for an upset alert because they still don't think we've beat anyone because anyone we beat automatically becomes "questionable."

You're comparing apples and oranges!

What I'm saying is that you don't have to be the poorer team to lose a game. You only have to be the poorer team on that day or even just the victim of unfortunate bounces or some untimely injuries. I don't see how this observation is even subject to dispute.

What I'm saying is that you don't have to be the poorer team to lose a game. You only have to be the poorer team on that day or even just the victim of unfortunate bounces or some untimely injuries. I don't see how this observation is even subject to dispute.
This team on it's worst days wouldn't lose to those BG and Illinois teams IMO! They'd still be two score+ victories!

Maryland has an offense though. I don't think Michigan will score 30+ on Iowa but if they don't turn the ball over, I don't see how Iowa outscores them. I'm thinking like a 23-10 type of game.
I do not think that is in any way possible. Iowa's D is not allowed to kick field goals, or are you thinking Iowa will get 5 safeties?

We've had Purdue's goat of late for sure, 4 in a row and 8 of the last 9, but I feel like they've surprised us in the past and I'm sure they're probably angry and tired of losing. Don't know that this counts for much though.

I have to imagine we have a better record against Purdue in the last decade than against any other B1G team, right? I assume people are picking it for an upset alert because they still don't think we've beat anyone because anyone we beat automatically becomes "questionable."
I think most people still can't trust/understand how good this Gopher team really is. History is still tugging at their brains.

But his point is, in his eyes, this team will only lose to teams better than them. (he is not foreseeing any upsets) He said nothing about last year's team. You are completely missing his point.

And upsets just happen all the time, especially early on when many teams are possible still trying to figure it out and many have only had one and possibly zero games where they were really tested. See it all the time where everyone is talking about a huge upset and by year end it’s not at all.
I think most people still can't trust/understand how good this Gopher team really is. History is still tugging at their brains.

OK, you seem to have a problem with others' caution so I'll say this: As long as we have Kirk and Joe, we'll never lose another game. Happy now?

You seem to have a problem with people having confidence in the team. Why do you care if they believe differently than you? They have confidence, you are more reserved...both are legit ways to look at the game/season.

Top Bottom