Teams On Serious Upset Alert This Week (Minnesota)

I do not think that is in any way possible. Iowa's D is not allowed to kick field goals, or are you thinking Iowa will get 5 safeties?
One defensive TD and maybe a 50 yd FG.

I don't know, my predictions are always bad so if I go with a somewhat close game, then hopefully it ends up a blowout.

But his point is, in his eyes, this team will only lose to teams better than them. (he is not foreseeing any upsets) He said nothing about last year's team. You are completely missing his point.

What he said was that the Gophers could only lose to a better team and there are no better teams remaining on their schedule. I dispute that better teams cannot lose to inferior teams and I don't think that is even arguable.

If that's not what he meant, then it is more the case of him being a bad writer than me missing the point.

Well I wasn't concerned when there was mention of an upset alert but this changes everything; This says we are on "SERIOUS" upset alert.

Shit. Now I have to rethink the whole thing

You seem to have a problem with people having confidence in the team. Why do you care if they believe differently than you? They have confidence, you are more reserved...both are legit ways to look at the game/season.

I have great confidence in the team but I realize that bad results can happen even to good teams. And, from what I'm seeing, there are multiple people on this board who cannot tolerate my "wait and see" approach so make sure to rag on them about their attitude "problem" after you're finished with me.

Iowa couldn't score on Michigan with a better offense last year. Why do people think they are going to score on Michigan with a worse offense this season?
Iowa WILL WIN this game against Michigan. Take that to the bank. It will be low scoring. Michigan is on par with team like Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU. Iowa will also be the toughest BTW game for our team this season. I like our chances of beating PSU more than I do Iowa.

Their offense sucks. It does, but their defense is outstanding.

Iowa WILL WIN this game against Michigan. Take that to the bank. It will be low scoring. Michigan is on par with team like Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU. Iowa will also be the toughest BTW game for our team this season. I like our chances of beating PSU more than I do Iowa.

Their defense is good, but they also haven't played a good offense yet. Iowa St.'s was the best, ranked 76th and they lost that game. They finally play a legitimate offense this week.

I have great confidence in the team but I realize that bad results can happen even to good teams. And, from what I'm seeing, there are multiple people on this board who cannot tolerate my "wait and see" approach so make sure to rag on them about their attitude "problem" after you're finished with me.
I think we all do some just choose to not dwell on it.

I like your attitude. Fleck embodies it when he says each game is a one-game season. Take each game at a time and never be over confident. My guess is that 90% of the people on this board didn't see Illinois last season as a possible loss and 100% didn't see Bowling Green as a possible loss but they happened.
Losing to Bowling Green may have been the best thing that ever happened to this year's team.

Losing to Bowling Green may have been the best thing that ever happened to this year's team.

I think you might be right. There's a game that NO ONE expected to lose but it happened anyway. You can see that, unlike 2019 and 2021, there was no fooling around or treating our weaker non-conference opponents like practice scrimmages this season. The team came out like a blitzkrieg in each game and didn't let up until the opponents were buried.

Actually, Iowa's defense and special teams are outstanding.

But, Michigan won a low scoring game against Iowa a few years ago (10-3). Those 10 points were 22 points below their season average but they still managed to win the game. Of course, Michigan absolutely destroyed them in last year's league championship game.

Their defense is good, but they also haven't played a good offense yet. Iowa St.'s was the best, ranked 76th and they lost that game. They finally play a legitimate offense this week.
They gave up 10 points.

Iowa is by far the team I am most worried about remaining on our schedule. And I do think there is a decent chance the upset Michigan this weekend in Kinnick.

They gave up 10 points.

Iowa is by far the team I am most worried about remaining on our schedule. And I do think there is a decent chance the upset Michigan this weekend in Kinnick.

And still lost because they can't score. Michigan has a better D, and a significantly better O than Iowa St. They'll win by 2 or 3 TDs this weekend.

This may be the worst offense Ferentz has ever had. They're probably a 6 or 7 win team this season. Penn St, Wisconsin, and possibly Illinois worry me more than Iowa does. But we'll find out a lot more about Illinois the next two weeks.

And still lost because they can't score. Michigan has a better D, and a significantly better O than Iowa St. They'll win by 2 or 3 TDs this weekend.

This may be the worst offense Ferentz has ever had. They're probably a 6 or 7 win team this season. Penn St, Wisconsin, and possibly Illinois worry me more than Iowa does. But we'll find out a lot more about Illinois the next two weeks.
And if that happens, great. I hope they get killed this weekend and that we kill them. I just think a team that has the ability to stop people and create turnovers the way they do, has a chance, that is all.

I just think a team that has the ability to stop people and create turnovers the way they do, has a chance, that is all.

Agreed but I'm not sure that the ways they've won this year are sustainable against good teams. If you take out Wagner, Rutgers is averaging only 16 points per game in its other three games. Nevada is only 96th in FBS in scoring average, and SDSU is an FCS school (although one of the best). They did hold IA State to 19 points below their season average in that loss but the Cyclones managed to move the ball something like 99 yards against them on their last scoring drive. Iowa's only score against ISU came after a blocked kick and a touchdown drive of only 16 yards.

When did we start hearing about "upset alerts"? My suspicion is that it is an ESPN created term. Obviously now I sort of hate everything about ESPN, and am so happy the Big Ten tossed the aside.

Back when I was a sports obsessed 17 year old ESPN was great. I remember winter post school days watching Big 8 replays, and Big East replays at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, eating ice cream in the basement, on days we had a 7PM HS basketball game to play no less!

And if that happens, great. I hope they get killed this weekend and that we kill them. I just think a team that has the ability to stop people and create turnovers the way they do, has a chance, that is all.
They got extremely lucky with turnovers last year. They’ve only forced 7 so far this year (which is solid, but not crazy), we’ve forced 6.

Iowa is something like 6-2 at Kinnick against Top 10 teams since 2008. Better Michigan teams than this one have gotten punked down there.

I'm glad they come up here this year. Bad lines don't travel.

Iowa is something like 6-2 at Kinnick against Top 10 teams since 2008. Better Michigan teams than this one have gotten punked down there.

I'm glad they come up here this year. Bad lines don't travel.

We should have beaten them at Kinnick last season. I thought we outplayed them overall. That was one of the rare instances last season where our defense let us down.

Joel Klatt’s recent interview with PJ was good.

But PJ seems very immune to the hype being thrown out in social media and he is trying to keep the kids grounded. He is excellent at that.

His taking about building culture and working through diversity isn’t corny at all.

I think he would say that every week the team will be facing teams that will approach their game that if they can beat a ranked team, they’ll throw it all out there. Never underestimate anyone. Never look past your opponent in front of you.

The better we do. The higher we are ranked, the more adversity we will face.

Watched Tanner’s helmet get pulled off of him by an egregious face mask last game by MSU. Thank goodness he wasn’t hurt.

His 1 game championship thought coupled with the “focus internally” not “externally” … do t think about beating Wisconsin or Iowa. That is really good.

Go Gophers.

Well done by putting the Gophers and Badgers in there. Now the question is if Illinois will be in there in 2 weeks.

Top Bottom