team banquet

WillieBurton

Reaction score
Great job Goal Line Club on the end-of-season banquet today. Not surprisingly, Marquise was named captain for next year. He was also named Offensive MVP and Team MVP and he is deserving of both of those, IMHO. Kim Royston was named Defensive MVP, also deservingly. It was also nice to see some lesser-known players honored with some of the other team awards. Aaron Hill, Adam Lueck and Jordan Wettstein all were recognized with awards for their contributions. Over 500 people attended today, which was a record turnout for the banquet. After hearing Coach Kill talk about the future and seeing all the positivity today, it is hard not to believe this program is headed in the right direction. Go Gophers!

MarQueis was not named captain. This torch was passed to him by the previous captains. Captains will be named after fall camp.

As far as I could find, Kill never really named official captains this year. Anyone know better?

Wettstein is the best story of the year. A kid that never played in an organized football game until he started against Iowa is named Special Teams Player of the Year. You can't make this stuff up...congrats to all the Gopher Seniors and award winners.

Thanks for posting. Always nice to know what goes on at the banquets when I am not able to attend. Much appreciated!

MarQueis was not named captain. This torch was passed to him by the previous captains. Captains will be named after fall camp.

As far as I could find, Kill never really named official captains this year. Anyone know better?

Wettstein is the best story of the year. A kid that never played in an organized football.
game until he started against Iowa is named Special Teams Player of the Year. You

can't make this stuff up...congrats to all the Gopher Seniors and award winners.

You answered your own question the passing of the torch is only from captains and only too captains...thereby officially naming captains.

Wettstein is the best story of the year. A kid that never played in an organized football game until he started against Iowa is named Special Teams Player of the Year. You can't make this stuff up...congrats to all the Gopher Seniors and award winners.

How was the torched passed if there were no captains?? Was it just laying on the ground?? ;)

They had Gopher captains going back to 1946 there, all lined up. There were probably around 25-30 former Gopher captains in attendance. The torch was passed all the way down the line (including to the 2011 captains - Kirksey, Royston and Bennett) and they passed it to MarQueis. I suppose, technically, it was not announced that MarQueis was the captain, but he was the recipient of the captain's torch, for whatever that's worth.

Great job Goal Line Club on the end-of-season banquet today. Not surprisingly, Marquise was named captain for next year. He was also named Offensive MVP and Team MVP and he is deserving of both of those, IMHO. Kim Royston was named Defensive MVP, also deservingly. It was also nice to see some lesser-known players honored with some of the other team awards. Aaron Hill, Adam Lueck and Jordan Wettstein all were recognized with awards for their contributions. Over 500 people attended today, which was a record turnout for the banquet. After hearing Coach Kill talk about the future and seeing all the positivity today, it is hard not to believe this program is headed in the right direction. Go Gophers!

Great update, thank you! To have a record turnout after a rough season is certainly promising, and really glad they got the win yesterday. More momentum heading into the off-season.

If the Torch was laying on the ground, the fire alarms would have gone off.

OK, smartasses. The old captains stood in chronological order. The quote was, from Darrell Thompson, "The captains will pass the torch to each succeeding captain. The 2011 captains will pass the torch to MarQueis Gray, who will present it to the 2012 team". Exact quote.

MarQueis Gray IS NOT AND WAS NOT named captain. He is not the captain, though he likely will be next year. Captains are not named until after fall camp. Still.

Show up at a Gopher event, and you don't have to read it on the internet.

Offensive Work Team Player of the Year – Freshman running back Cole Banham
Defenisve Work Team Player of the Year – Freshman linebacker Jephte Matilus

Does this mean Banham has the potential to see the field or was he just great at playing the backs of other teams on the scout team?

OK, smartasses. The old captains stood in chronological order. The quote was, from Darrell Thompson, "The captains will pass the torch to each succeeding captain. The 2011 captains will pass the torch to MarQueis Gray, who will present it to the 2012 team". Exact quote.

MarQueis Gray IS NOT AND WAS NOT named captain. He is not the captain, though he likely will be next year. Captains are not named until after fall camp. Still.

Show up at a Gopher event, and you don't have to read it on the internet.

I believe you are correct....I was there, I was just too busy telling everyone Kim Royston is my son! Kind of explains why folks kept moving away from me and telling me to leave them alone.

Who cares about the minor details. It was a banquet.

What was the food and how was it?:)

When did everyone hold hands and listen to Josh Grobin? Oh, that's just something they do at Michigan? Nevermind.

/stillbitteraboutgivingup58points

Offensive Work Team Player of the Year – Freshman running back Cole Banham
Defenisve Work Team Player of the Year – Freshman linebacker Jephte Matilus

Does this mean Banham has the potential to see the field or was he just great at playing the backs of other teams on the scout team?

That's interesting about Banham. I remember Kill saying something about a RB who is redshirting right now and it didn't really make any sense because we didn't have a RB on our roster who could possibly be RSing. While Banham isn't neccesarily RSing, he is sitting out this year. I imagine that is who Kill is talking about.

Sportsfan24 you should be very proud. NO, not just because of his great and brave play this year. But because of the kind of man he is. Met him at the Fair and I couldn't have been more impressed. What a nice, kind, gentleman, caring as well. He will be a great success and you should be very gratified to have a son like that.

Cole Banham

That's interesting about Banham. I remember Kill saying something about a RB who is redshirting right now and it didn't really make any sense because we didn't have a RB on our roster who could possibly be RSing. While Banham isn't neccesarily RSing, he is sitting out this year. I imagine that is who Kill is talking about.

He is listed on the roster as a RS Freshman transfer from Minnesota State - Mankato at 5'9" and 177 lbs. His hometown is Lakeville, Minnesota.

Here is a link to a Rivals' article about him:
http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=978011

goldengophergridiron.com has him listed as 6'1" 195 lbs in one place. I hope that one is right. Does anybody know more about him?

He is listed on the roster as a RS Freshman transfer from Minnesota State - Mankato at 5'9" and 177 lbs. His hometown is Lakeville, Minnesota.

Here is a link to a Rivals' article about him:
http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=978011

goldengophergridiron.com has him listed as 6'1" 195 lbs in one place. I hope that one is right. Does anybody know more about him?

He is the brother of the WBB team's point guard, Rachel Banham. It was quite a day for the family. Cole wins Offensive Work Team POY, and Rachel hits the game winner vs Va Tech.

Top Bottom