Team Assessmemt

I'm not saying we're 'good' or that EE and Austin aren't frustrating. I'm saying the OP makes it sound like Pitino is being asked to carve Mount Rushmore with a spoon and that's not true.

We have more talent than Nebraska. They're probably going to make the NCAAs and we won't. That's disappointing to me. My goal for the season was to at least have hope on Selection Sunday. That may still happen. But if it doesn't, I'm going to be disappointed that we didn't play better, not saying 'well, our talent was too horrible to have a chance.'

Well, Nebraska does have the best player overall.

The overreactions on this board are absolutely comical. When we're winning, we're one of the best. When we're losing, we're one of the worst. Here's what we actually are: a team with mediocre talent and a very young/inexperienced head coach. Listen, people -- instant gratification is not the name of the game here.

This is Pitino's first year as head coach of the University of Minnesota men's basketball program. He needs time to get his own recruits in here and to gain experience in the Big Ten himself. Everyone knew these things when he signed and they shouldn't be changing their tune now. There are bound to be ebbs-and-flows during any coach's first (or second) year at a new program.

I think it's fair to say that Pitino has tremendous potential. Before getting more worked-up about this season, I challenge anyone who is in despair to pick their own top-10 list of modern day college basketball coaches and look their W-L and tourney records in their first seasons as coaches of their now major NCAA basketball programs. In fact, that would probably be a good exercise to share with the board to put things in perspective for everyone.

The overreactions on this board are absolutely comical. When we're winning, we're one of the best. When we're losing, we're one of the worst. Here's what we actually are: a team with mediocre talent and a very young/inexperienced head coach. Listen, people -- instant gratification is not the name of the game here.

This is Pitino's first year as head coach of the University of Minnesota men's basketball program. He needs time to get his own recruits in here and to gain experience in the Big Ten himself. Everyone knew these things when he signed and they shouldn't be changing their tune now. There are bound to be ebbs-and-flows during any coach's first (or second) year at a new program.

I think it's fair to say that Pitino has tremendous potential. Before getting more worked-up about this season, I challenge anyone who is in despair to pick their own top-10 list of modern day college basketball coaches and look their W-L and tourney records in their first seasons as coaches of their now major NCAA basketball programs. In fact, that would probably be a good exercise to share with the board to put things in perspective for everyone.

+1

Yeah and the Vikings were only a handful of plays away from winning the division too. I'm sorry....but you are what your record says....no better....no worse. I'm sure you could find plenty of games they won where there were "if's, and's and but's" that they could have lost too.

Disagree with the Vikings analogy. Having a team go 80 yards on your defense in the last minute is not the same as a guy missing a lay-up with two seconds left. They are 6-9, it is what it is. I agree there. Not making excuses for them, but I'm still optimistic about the future.

IMO, this is really about being a couple players short.

If everybody here was being honest with themselves, would anyone really say they expected more from this team? My expectations coming in were potential NIT berth and an introduction to Pitino's system. It was pretty obvious that this team lacked talent, and that has become even more obvious if you are like me and think Deandre has been the best player this year. Tubby left the cupboards pretty bare, outside of Dre and Austin (the latter of which has not been playing well at all this year).

Expectations can change though. After taking Michigan St. to OT, and beating OSU and Wisconsin, mine changed anyways. No, I didn't expect them to compete for the conference championship or anything, but I did expect us to be able to compete every game. As the players got used to each other and the new system, I felt like we should get better, not worse.

The fact that the players look so disinterested lately is kinda concerning to me.

Again, I can't speak for others, but I'm disappointed in the effort, not the talent. I'm not mad about the losses we've had, but rather how we lost them.

Expectations can change though. After taking Michigan St. to OT, and beating OSU and Wisconsin, mine changed anyways. No, I didn't expect them to compete for the conference championship or anything, but I did expect us to be able to compete every game. As the players got used to each other and the new system, I felt like we should get better, not worse.

The fact that the players look so disinterested lately is kinda concerning to me.

I agree that a team should be able to raise expectations. If we start a season showing an ability to compete at a certain level, then dropping off later shows that we aren't playing up to our demonstrated potential. I have one expectation that never changes, I want my team to work hard from tip-off to final buzzer, and that is where we are really failing. I might be able to get sold on the notion that Pitino had found a few ways to maximize some of our strengths and then we got scouted, and that's why the results aren't good, but I won't accept that as the answer until I see our players focused and busting their butts. Watching players jog back to defense is garbage that no fan should ever have to watch.

I suppose that last few years have killed any ability I have to raise expectations. And while I agree that a team should get better as the year goes on, a team with a lack of depth will likely get worse as the year goes on. I knew we didn't have depth last year and there was no reason to expect it to be better this year. The only real issue I have is with the lack of focus and effort a lot of the guys seem to have, and I thought one of the radio guys made an interesting note that the guys who are supposed to be the leaders are the biggest culprits of the lack of focus and effort.

You are emotional tonight. Stop posting the rest of the night, and go drink a six-pack. Then go to bed.

You are making a fool of yourself tonight. Walk away from the computer and regroup tomorrow before people start losing all respect for you.

After last loss, bga1 came back and sent a very similar post. This time you did it. Who is next? There will be fight between Station 19 and Madtown??

You sound like congressmen when they say American people want this or that. Who is going to lose respect? What did he say that wasn't correct?

By the way, do you wear chicken suit and sit next to your dad during the Gopher's home games? I think you are Richard's brother.

After last loss, bga1 came back and sent a very similar post. This time you did it. Who is next? There will be fight between Station 19 and Madtown??

You sound like congressmen when they say American people want this or that. Who is going to lose respect? What did he say that wasn't correct?

By the way, do you wear chicken suit and sit next to your dad during the Gopher's home games? I think you are Richard's brother.

Troll. Mods please ban this person.

Top Bottom