TCF vs Target Field

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
Just was in a friendly argument at work over which stadium will be better. Obviously I sided on TCF. your thoughts?

The architect for both of the stadiums is HOK so both of them will be first rate for their respective fan bases.

TCF - But . . .

Mozart or Beethoven

Joyce or Faulkner

Monet or Matisse

Theron or Mendes

A week in the Caribbean or a week in the South Pacific

A perfectly done steak or lobster thermidor

A perfect day of fishing or a perfect autumn day hunting ringnecks

Mozart or Beethoven

Joyce or Faulkner

Monet or Matisse

Theron or Mendes

A week in the Caribbean or a week in the South Pacific

A perfectly done steak or lobster thermidor

A perfect day of fishing or a perfect autumn day hunting ringnecks

Well put my friend! Btw, check your inbox.

At least we're not comparing "ointments vs suppositories". LOL

TCF is better for its client. The Twins are going to run into some rain delay issues I think, while TCF will encounter good weather during the majority of its season.

As of right now TCF wins, I think this argument will get closer when Target is as far along as TCF. Long term....WE ALL WIN!

I'm just happy to have both on the way. How does anyone really know until we can take in a game?

Couple of months back Barriero discussed this very same topic on his radio show. He was very complimentary of TCF and "favored" the design of TCF over Target field. He said it had a better feel to it. He was also quick to point out that TCF was further along and that a fair comparison would be only after both are complete.

I agree with what you guys are saying. Two different fields for two different sports. We're lucky to have both.

I do agree that we all win and the state of Minnesota is that much better with the addition of there glorious stadiums. I think that TCF will be a more special place in my book. Every summer, I'll have 81 baseball games to go watch outdoors (which is fantastic). But every fall, you only have a couple of Saturday afternoons where you get to TCF. That place is going to be magical this fall, just electric.

How about asking this again in 30 years, when the Twins are demanding another new stadium?

TCF is better for its client. The Twins are going to run into some rain delay issues I think, while TCF will encounter good weather during the majority of its season.

a rain delay.....and this is different from what 80% of the other mlb ballparks deal with how?! you must be one of those out-state twins fans who can't stop complaining that there isn't a retractable roof on the place. :)

truly outdoor baseball. love it!

Why would the Twins have rainout problems???

The Twins had very few rainouts in Bloomington. Have weather patterns changed much?

Just was in a friendly argument at work over which stadium will be better. Obviously I sided on TCF. your thoughts?

I can only imagine what this argument sounded like. I'm picturing the donkey with the accordian that plays in Homer Simpson's head.

I've got season tickets to both, so I am really looking forward to the next few years. I think TCF will be great, but I am getting the sense the Target Field will be quite a gem--the Twins/County are doing a nice job of finishing the job and not cutting corners. They are doing a good job of making sure it won't be another Camden Yards clone, which I was initially worried about. TCF seems like it is going to be great, but I think most of the best, most talked-about parts of the stadium are player-related, which is fine. The actual fan experience will be sitting on benches with a view of Moos Towers. I will admit I'm a bit worried about the garbage burner by the Twins stadium, but otherwise, I'm guessing they'll have the edge.

Lets see Target Field seems to have taken Frank Llyod Wright approach to the right field entrance but those on the left field line will experience Garbage Burner and the Garbage waiting to be burned. Those seats in the left field corner should sell for a discount if you can stand the stench on a hot summer day or evening. The site, not far from the bus depot, Hennepin Avenue, and steet crime. To the north up 94 and Washington Avenue is prime gang territory. Add to that Minneapolis is trending toward becoming filthy city. Good Luck Twins Fans.

TCF is on Campus, its uses the Misssippi River as a moat from that which is west and south of it. It has tree line streets, historic buildings, and has Dinkytown. The design encompasses the best of the old school, with all the modern ammenities. Given a choice, the choice is clear. TCF Bank.

Lets see Target Field seems to have taken Frank Llyod Wright approach to the right field entrance but those on the left field line will experience Garbage Burner and the Garbage waiting to be burned. Those seats in the left field corner should sell for a discount if you can stand the stench on a hot summer day or evening. The site, not far from the bus depot, Hennepin Avenue, and steet crime. To the north up 94 and Washington Avenue is prime gang territory. Add to that Minneapolis is trending toward becoming filthy city. Good Luck Twins Fans.

TCF is on Campus, its uses the Misssippi River as a moat from that which is west and south of it. It has tree line streets, historic buildings, and has Dinkytown. The design encompasses the best of the old school, with all the modern ammenities. Given a choice, the choice is clear. TCF Bank.

husker - i usually like your posts on this board, but on this subject regarding target field to be honest you sound like a real tool. this is coming from a twins season ticket holder (metrodome and the new ballpark) who thinks the new twins ballpark location in minneapolis is just fine. that part of minneapolis is great and also has a lot of future promise for additional development including residential, retail, transit, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

also, i visit the site almost weekly and there is absolutely zero smell from the HERC facility near target field. the only thing emitted from it is completely clean and pure steam (water vapor) - nothing else.

what should the twins build it out in a corn field way out in the suburbs in the middle of a parking lot like some football rubes think everything should be?! major league baseball is meant to be played in an urban environment not way out in the sticks. that is how the game was founded and where the best and smartest teams keep their parks.

get real husker!

Tool, did you call me a tool?

All over a choice of which new stadium is better? Does that use of tool, make me wrong? You can point out the discharge has had no effect, you can say its linked to both the light rail, and the Big Lake Line. Its close to the entertainment district. But you resorted to calling me a tool.

Let me make it very clear, I am more comfortable on campus. Lets leave it at that.

This thread is sort a rediculous. Are we really trying to compare the design of a baseball vs. a football stadium? Designed by the same architecture firm? Geez guys. The Twins and Gophers are getting very nice stadiums. The Twins have a totally different program and look that they were going after. It's going to be very unique, basically one of a kind in MLB. I think it will be quite refreshing after the 10-15 years of teams trying to reproduce Camden Yards.

Can we agree on this??......after Target Field and TCF Bank opens I believe the Twin Cities will have 6 of the best stadiums in the country.
1. Xcel-best hockey arena in the country
2. TCF
3. Target Field
4. Williams Arena
5. Mariucci Arena-best college hockey arena in the country
6. Ridder Arena- best womens college arean in the country and better than 90% of mens teams

Also, anyone that says that Target Field should have a roof because of all the fans from North Dakota that won't come because of rain outs is a joke. I would love to see the number of Twins fans from outside the 7 county metro area that buy Twins season tickets. You build the stadium for season ticket/suite/club level ticket holders, not uncle bill who wants to drive to the 'cities' for a weekend of fun at the Mall of America.

Also, anyone that says that Target Field should have a roof because of all the fans from North Dakota that won't come because of rain outs is a joke. I would love to see the number of Twins fans from outside the 7 county metro area that buy Twins season tickets. You build the stadium for season ticket/suite/club level ticket holders, not uncle bill who wants to drive to the 'cities' for a weekend of fun at the Mall of America.

Call me Uncle Bill then.... Two plus hour one way drive to the cities, ex Twins season ticket holder who dropped those tickets in part because of the rain out issue. I'm not worried abut rain outs or snow outs or anything else for football, baseball is a different story, its not that easy to "re-schedule" a trip to Minneapolis and who wants to drive four hours for the purpose of going to a baseball game if there is a chance you'll just have to drive home empty handed...

5. Mariucci Arena-best college hockey arena in the country

First of all, I hate UND hockey with all my heart and soul, but don't tell me your personal biases are not clouding your judgement when you count out Ralph Englestad Arena. Dont get me wrong...Mariucci is like home to me, but have you seen that place?

Second of all, why all the hate for out-state Minnesotans who are Twins fans? They had a point when suggesting a roof, but ultimitely they lost out. There is no need to poke fun at them and make yourself sound self-absorbed and bitter. Calm down, man.

Englestad is nice, but take out the leather seats and granite and what do you have? Target Center. Mariucci is great because of the open concourse and the fact that it doesn't have leather seats. Now if Englestad had an open concourse then I would consider them, but its design and layout are not up to today's standards.

In regards to the second part of your post.....if Hennepin County didnt step up to the plate there would be no stadium getting built for the Twins.
Basically what you are saying is that Hennepin County should fork out an additional 200 million so YOU can attend Twins games. And I am the one being self absorbant?
Have you ever been to a baseball stadium with a retractable roof? None of them existing has ever been mentioned as a great baseball stadium. The loom so large over the field that the intimacy of the stadium is all but eliminated.
Milwaukee is the only stadium near us that has a retractable roof. So why are we any different from Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Colorado?

I will go back to my statement that outside of the 7 county metro area there are basically no season ticket holders. The Twins will make virtually NO MONEY on walk up ticket sales. They get their money months in advance of the start of the season from suites/club/ and season ticket sales. There is no hate there, just facts.

TCF vs Target?

Target will be awesome in the rain! Waiting at the bar for the game to restart. All those fans from out state guaranteed a game no matter the weather...wondering why a retractable roof wasn't put on and the analysis showing the revenue lost over 10 years or so would have paid for the roof...the absence of a real designated hitter...

In regards to the second part of your post.....if Hennepin County didnt step up to the plate there would be no stadium getting built for the Twins.
Basically what you are saying is that Hennepin County should fork out an additional 200 million so YOU can attend Twins games. And I am the one being self absorbant?
Have you ever been to a baseball stadium with a retractable roof? None of them existing has ever been mentioned as a great baseball stadium. The loom so large over the field that the intimacy of the stadium is all but eliminated.
Milwaukee is the only stadium near us that has a retractable roof. So why are we any different from Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Colorado?

Who said this was about me? If you want to really know, it takes me seriously ten minutes to WALK to the metrodome from my place. I am NOT outside of your Holy Seven County metropolitan area.

I also am NOT in favor of the retractable roof. I just dont like when people say that out-state Minnesotans have no point in suggesting that it might be a good idea to have one.

Yes I have been to Milwaukee's stadium. Its nothing life changing, but its also not bad. And growing up in Chicago, it was very nice to go up there to see the Twins at one game under the roof during a rainstorm. If there was no roof we would have had to drive all the way back. This is why I can see those outstater's opinion is not without merit.

Why are we different from Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Colorado? Ill tell you: All of them get cold, but it is way, way colder in Mpls in April and September/October. Colorado is the only one which comes close but only because of their unpredictable storms.
Despite this I still think a roof is not the best idea.

Top Bottom