Tanner Morgan thoughts

Going to be very interesting to see how Tua does at the NFL level. Someone will probably spend a high pick on him. If he does well it will help undersized guys like Morgan get more attention, if he busts it will hurt.

If Morgan has another big year in 2020 it will be interesting to see where he is projected in terms of the draft. My gut tells me that even if he has a big year again, he will be back in maroon and gold in 2021.

It will be interesting. ESPN’s recruiting profile has him down for a 4.9 40, and he has 340 yards rushing in his 3 seasons....so, he’s not particularly mobile. On top of that, he has the injury history. I probably wouldn’t use a top 10 pick on him, like we’re hearing.

It will be interesting. ESPN’s recruiting profile has him down for a 4.9 40, and he has 340 yards rushing in his 3 seasons....so, he’s not particularly mobile. On top of that, he has the injury history. I probably wouldn’t use a top 10 pick on him, like we’re hearing.

There is a very good chance that Morgan will be compared to Tua after this next season. I agree that spending a really high pick on his is an extremely risky proposition with his injury history.

I really have no clue how Morgan is going to be viewed by the NFL if he has another great season. He may very well be projected as a really high draft pick in spite of his measurables.

My thoughts. . . . . remember back to Mitch Leidner who couldn't complete a 10 yard pass. We've come a long way!

My thoughts. . . . . remember back to Mitch Leidner who couldn't complete a 10 yard pass. We've come a long way!

It goes well beyond Leidner. There was a stretch a few years ago where the QB and WR positions were wastelands. To go from that to one of the best passing attacks in school history in such a short time is truly amazing.

I remember starting threads on Gopherhole about the WR position and how ugly the depth chart looked there.

We will start to get a really good idea of how well Fleck has or has not been recruiting on the defensive side of the ball starting this season. But there is no doubt this staff has done a really good job recruiting and developing talent on offense.

It goes well beyond Leidner. There was a stretch a few years ago where the QB and WR positions were wastelands. To go from that to one of the best passing attacks in school history in such a short time is truly amazing.

I remember starting threads on Gopherhole about the WR position and how ugly the depth chart looked there.

We will start to get a really good idea of how well Fleck has or has not been recruiting on the defensive side of the ball starting this season. But there is no doubt this staff has done a really good job recruiting and developing talent on offense.

yeah, we basically had one decent WR/TE at a time..KJ Maye, Wolitarsky, Williams

We talk about Morgan being “under the radar” and “developed,” but he was pretty damn good in high school. He threw accurate deep balls and passed for over 10k yards. I don’t think he was so much “under the radar.” I just think teams passed on him due to height. They knew about him. I was told recently by someone who would know that he could have gotten a lot more offers had he made the rounds on the camp circuit. Apparently, some players spend a lot of time and effort soliciting offers, and he didn’t do that.

If Annexstad ends up as the starter at some point down the line he would qualify as under the radar for sure. As would Kramer.
To me, Kramer seems the most likely to transfer.

Morgan is the best Gophers QB I can remember and I have long memory. But its great to have a capable backup like Annexstad. Injuries happen so you need a backup.

Morgan is the best Gophers QB I can remember and I have long memory. But its great to have a capable backup like Annexstad. Injuries happen so you need a backup.

Still a lot of unknowns with Annexstad but would certainly seem like he would be a quality backup option if pressed into duty at some point. We were very fortunate last year that Tanner was able to play the entire season and not need to miss any major time.

We talk about Morgan being “under the radar” and “developed,” but he was pretty damn good in high school. He threw accurate deep balls and passed for over 10k yards. I don’t think he was so much “under the radar.” I just think teams passed on him due to height. They knew about him. I was told recently by someone who would know that he could have gotten a lot more offers had he made the rounds on the camp circuit. Apparently, some players spend a lot of time and effort soliciting offers, and he didn’t do that.

One more reason I like this kid. Not a self promoter, a self developer.

If I searched the term "Under the Radar", I feel like I'd get this exact definition.

If I searched the term "Under the Radar", I feel like I'd get this exact definition.

“Unnoticed.”

I’m saying they did notice, but passed on him because of his measurables. I suspect Kentucky was an offer that he wanted, but didn’t get.

I can’t recall where I read it, but apparently Brohm, when he was at WKU, told either Tanner or his coach that he was too short to play D1 ball. If that’s true, I would imagine it gives him a little extra motivation for Purdue games

“Unnoticed.”

I’m saying they did notice, but passed on him because of his measurables. I suspect Kentucky was an offer that he wanted, but didn’t get.

I can’t recall where I read it, but apparently Brohm, when he was at WKU, told either Tanner or his coach that he was too short to play D1 ball. If that’s true, I would imagine it gives him a little extra motivation for Purdue games

Correction. Never mind. I guess that’s not accurate about Brohm and WKU. They were recruiting him.

Thank you! I like how Glen Mason described a few players. I think it fits for Mr. Leidner. Paraphrasing Mason, He's like a 10+ handicap golfer. Capable of making great plays followed up by an erratic one.

What I admired about him is that he bled maroon and gold. No question about that.

A lot of people seem to assume Kramer is buried on the depth chart and destined to transfer. I'm not so sure about that. The times that I've watched him in scrimmages and drills, he consistently outperformed Clark. Has a super-tight throwing motion, quickest release on the team to my eyes. Also easily the best runner of the bunch. If the mental aspect comes along (a giant if, of course), I wouldn't be at all surprised if he replaced Morgan someday. Will be interesting to see how spring ball shakes out with 4 (hopefully) healthy QBs who now know the playbook.

The MN QB that I liked, and no one really talks about is Asad Abdul-Khaliq. The ranked Gophers were 10-3 his Senior year, he led the Big Ten in Passing %, passing yards per attempt, and efficiency %. Beat Oregon in the Sun Bowl, 17 TD's vs 5 Int's as a Senior, 55 TD's vs 25 Int's for his 4 year career. He had a very nice MN career. GO GOPHERS!

Barring injury, Tanner should move into 2nd place this season for career passing yards and TDs. If he throws 33 TDs, he will tie Weber’s career team record. If he matches this season’s passing yardage for the next two seasons, he will surpass Weber’s career totals. Weber’s total ranks 3rd in Big Ten history. Drew Brees’ conference record of 11,792 is actually in reach, but he’ll need a few more attempts per game for that to be a possibility. He needs to average 3569 yards over the next two seasons. He had 3253 this season.

Last edited:

I will never understand the hate for ML7. Sure, he was only average, but was the best option we had, bled maroon and gold, fought through a ton of injuries for the team, and won a lot of games.

He was the easy target. Essentially he got punished by a lot of fans for having obvious limitations in his game. For whatever reason many fans blamed him as opposed to the people who's job it was to recruit someone better than him.

The MN QB that I liked, and no one really talks about is Asad Abdul-Khaliq. The ranked Gophers were 10-3 his Senior year, he led the Big Ten in Passing %, passing yards per attempt, and efficiency %. Beat Oregon in the Sun Bowl, 17 TD's vs 5 Int's as a Senior, 55 TD's vs 25 Int's for his 4 year career. He had a very nice MN career. GO GOPHERS!

Was always a big fan of Asad and yeah he gets kind of lost in the shuffle when discussion QBs that played here. He was a solid passer and could run some too. I also really enjoyed watching Bryan Cupito play.

If I was going to rank QBs from the last 20-25 years or so in terms of favorites, would probably go:

1. Morgan
2. Weber
3. Asad
4. Cupito
5. Cockerham (just outside 20 years at this point)

Top Bottom