Tanner Morgan thoughts

Nothing on Morgan, but don't forget, he happens to be playing with what will probably be the best WR core in our history here. I love Morgan, and always thought he was more accurate downfield than Zack but I mean wow... Johnson, Bateman, Autman-Bell. This new year, with all the pressure to succeed, will show if he is for real or a system guy in my eyes.

I think it's certainly fair to say that our Gophers haven't had a list of great QB's and there is no question that TM would be in the top three of any list you could come up with. Look, TM had 3 or 4 games this year that were off the charts. He is a nice QB with some great talent to throw too. I just want to see him keep improving. I still want to see what PJ was seeing in ZA the last couple of years.
This is a reasonable take. You do wonder how much ZA we’ll see on the field in his career. He’ll have one year after Tanner, but at that point Athan will be here and I’m sure be competing for the starting spot as a sophomore/ RS freshman.

This is a reasonable take. You do wonder how much ZA we’ll see on the field in his career. He’ll have one year after Tanner, but at that point Athan will be here and I’m sure be competing for the starting spot as a sophomore/ RS freshman.

You might be right but man counting unproven QBs with no playing time.... There's 5* guys out there who never start.... I don't know how anyone does the math on QB competitions including recruits before they see if a guy can ever earn a spot or play in a game.

I know this is going to go well with GH, but TM just isn't the end all with me. I give him a lot of credit for throwing the slant well and a few nice deep balls, but he has a long way to go in my opinion. I still look forward to seeing what Sack and others can do.

He throws the slant, deep ball, post, skinny post, outs, corner, and screen passes really well but for him to be on my good side he is going to need to start showing me something... Well, I'll let you know what that something is when I figure it out.

He throws the slant, deep ball, post, skinny post, outs, corner, and screen passes really well but for him to be on my good side he is going to need to start showing me something... Well, I'll let you know what that something is when I figure it out.
We haven't seen him throw the ball "over them mountains"....

A few thoughts on Tanner Morgan from me - #1 I still can't believe Fleck didn't use him as a true freshman as the only QB's we had were Demry Croft and Conner Rohde! We can all be very thankful as he would now be a senior and this would be his last year of eligibility. My favorite Gopher QB of all time was Rickey Foggie who came in as a true freshman and gave a very down team some hope and a chance to win. Foggie certainly could run better, but Morgan is a much better passer and brings in a lot of intangibles that make him so good. He led this team to a magical 11 win season - how many would we have won without Morgan.....maybe only 5 or 6 but certainly not 11, that's for sure!!

He might only be here for one more year so Gopher fans better get out and see him this year as often as possible. I have a feeling we will be talking about this guy for a very long time, that's for sure!! He gives us a chance to win any game we play so you can see why Gopher fans are so excited for the football season this year!!

Nothing on Morgan, but don't forget, he happens to be playing with what will probably be the best WR core in our history here. I love Morgan, and always thought he was more accurate downfield than Zack but I mean wow... Johnson, Bateman, Autman-Bell. This new year, with all the pressure to succeed, will show if he is for real or a system guy in my eyes.

That’s true, but it goes both ways. Those receivers wouldn’t look as good without those accurate passes.

As for ZA...I thought he showed some promise as a true Freshman, but his deep balls were dreadful. He basically lobbed them up for grabs. I don’t think that’s something he did much in high school, based on his highlight videos.

I think it's certainly fair to say that our Gophers haven't had a list of great QB's and there is no question that TM would be in the top three of any list you could come up with. Look, TM had 3 or 4 games this year that were off the charts. He is a nice QB with some great talent to throw too. I just want to see him keep improving. I still want to see what PJ was seeing in ZA the last couple of years.
Your take is so Minnesotan for a Texan.

You might be right but man counting unproven QBs with no playing time.... There's 5* guys out there who never start.... I don't know how anyone does the math on QB competitions including recruits before they see if a guy can ever earn a spot or play in a game.
Yeah definitely some conjecture on my part, who knows how he will be coming in. Regardless, I’ve gained a lot of respect for Zack for sticking around when it seems like every P5 backup is transferring the second things don’t go their way.

I know this is going to go well with GH, but TM just isn't the end all with me. I give him a lot of credit for throwing the slant well and a few nice deep balls, but he has a long way to go in my opinion. I still look forward to seeing what Zack and others can do.

You know who would agree with your take on Tanner Morgan.....Tanner Morgan. I wouldn't say he has a long way to go but there are absolutely things that will improve for him as he continues to mature and gain more experience. Morgan seems to be a really hard worker so it is exciting to think of where he could get to during his time here as he is already one of the best ever to play QB at the U of M.

He is entering his redshirt junior season at the U. This is a time when guys typically hit their stride at the college level.

As for ZA and the other QBs on the roster, the likelihood of any of them unseating Morgan seems pretty slim at this point. I am sure the gap between Morgan and Annexstad was razor thin in a lot of ways heading into the 2019 season, but Morgan was given an opportunity and he seized it in every possible way with the way he played in 2019.

We need to buckle up for 2020 because there is a very good chance we will be watching the greatest QB/WR combo in the history of Gopher football. Can't wait.

Still hard to believe PJ ever chose ZA5 over TM2. TM2 just had the best passing season of any Gopher QB in my lifetime.
[/QUOTE

Maybe PJ felt that he would start ZA, because he was part of a 3 player IMG package with Curtis Dunlap Jr, and Daniel Faalele. Just an idea.

Maybe PJ felt that he would start ZA, because he was part of a 3 player IMG package with Curtis Dunlap Jr, and Daniel Faalele. Just an idea.

It is easy to look back at the Morgan/Annexstad battle now and think the coaches were insane for putting Annexstad ahead of Morgan. But that doesn't account for development and changes that happen over time.

Just guessing on this but in 2018 and 2019 there was probably very little separation between the two in skill sets so the coaches were going with who they felt was the best option to run the offense. For whatever reason it appeared that ZA had a leg up on TM. We aren't privy to what goes on in meetings or behind the scenes but clearly they saw things in Zack they liked.

When Zack got hurt before the 2019 season it opened the door for Morgan to take the job. He saw an opportunity and he seized it. At this point it seems crazy to think about going with anyone other than Morgan at QB but a year ago that was not that crazy of a suggestion.

My gut tells me that Morgan is a classic example of right place, right time. His skill set seems to mesh perfectly with the Gophers offense. In a different system, on a different team, he would probably still be good, but he may not have been as perfect a fit.

And now - a concern. going on my theory that Morgan was a perfect fit for the Gophers' system - the question: will that system change with a new OC? on paper, you would think it would be crazy to change a system that worked. But - people are human, and a new OC is going to want to put at least some of his own theories into practice.

so, the question is - assuming there are tweaks to the system - can the new OC install those tweaks without taking away from what was working?

And - despite the number of returning players - you have to admit that Johnson and Smith are two very significant losses. Who takes their spots in the lineup, and how does that production get replaced?

I know this isn't going to go well with GH, but TM just isn't the end all with me. I give him a lot of credit for throwing the slant well and a few nice deep balls, but he has a long way to go in my opinion. I still look forward to seeing what Zack and others can do.

Of course he has room to grow. But to say that he "has a long way to go" is silly. There is a reason why Morgan was in the top five as far as ESPN QB ratings went for the entire season....surrounded by high draft pick guys that get coverage on a weekly basis. He set an NCAA record, tying Jameis Winston in his Heisman year, with TWO games (Purdue & Penn State) throwing over a 90% completion rate.

I really am not sure what else you are looking for.

My gut tells me that Morgan is a classic example of right place, right time. His skill set seems to mesh perfectly with the Gophers offense. In a different system, on a different team, he would probably still be good, but he may not have been as perfect a fit.

Other than being extremely accurate....what makes him "mesh" perfectly with our offense. Seems like he'd "mesh" perfectly with any team that didn't run a triple option.

And now - a concern. going on my theory that Morgan was a perfect fit for the Gophers' system - the question: will that system change with a new OC? on paper, you would think it would be crazy to change a system that worked. But - people are human, and a new OC is going to want to put at least some of his own theories into practice.

so, the question is - assuming there are tweaks to the system - can the new OC install those tweaks without taking away from what was working?

And - despite the number of returning players - you have to admit that Johnson and Smith are two very significant losses. Who takes their spots in the lineup, and how does that production get replaced?
With your OC concern, I think there will be very solid continuity due to Simon's promotion, plus a few tweaks otherwise where Sanford might see fit.

Ibrahim is primed to have a huge season if he stays healthy. I'm not sure how depth will look behind him. And don't sleep on Autman-Bell. He quietly made an impact when he was needed last season, and with teams likely focusing on Bateman it'll be his time to break out. I wouldn't be surprised to see back-to-back years with 2 receivers above 1000 yards.

With your OC concern, I think there will be very solid continuity due to Simon's promotion, plus a few tweaks otherwise where Sanford might see fit.

Ibrahim is primed to have a huge season if he stays healthy. I'm not sure how depth will look behind him. And don't sleep on Autman-Bell. He quietly made an impact when he was needed last season, and with teams likely focusing on Bateman it'll be his time to break out. I wouldn't be surprised to see back-to-back years with 2 receivers above 1000 yards.

Agree with your take. I can't imagine Fleck letting Sanford do anything drastic to the offense, some tweaks for sure but an overhaul or major change in philosophy would make zero sense considering how good the offense was last year and the amount of returning talent we have.

And as for replacing Smith and Johnson I think the answers in both case are very clear already. The running game should be in good shape with Mo as the primary back and there are a number of other guys on the roster who have shown some great potential as well.

And at receiver, Autman-Bell appears primed and ready to move into a feature role and given this staffs track record at the WR position so far it is easy to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be able to replace Johnson.

Johnson and Smith were both great players but we appear to be in a position at both RB and WR where we can reload as opposed to rebuild. And honestly, I am not totally convinced the Mo wasn't the best RB on the team last year but he was willing to be a team guy and take a bit of a backseat to Smith and Brooks in their final go around.

I know this isn't going to go well with GH, but TM just isn't the end all with me. I give him a lot of credit for throwing the slant well and a few nice deep balls, but he has a long way to go in my opinion. I still look forward to seeing what Zack and others can do.

You’ve taken a lot of flack already but maybe we just need to hear you out on what you’re looking for. He does tend to lock in on his first read at times, for example, or he may hold the ball a half second too long instead of looking for the tight end. What are you seeing that the other guys may do better?

Are your minuses related to certain throws, progressions, running capability etc?

^^^

About half of five stars never pan out and it’s only downhill from there. The usual caveats about better odds of success with higher stars applies. Morgan is an exception as a lightly recruited three star but he’s proven to be exceptional.

^^^

About half of five stars never pan out and it’s only downhill from there. The usual caveats about better odds of success with higher stars applies. Morgan is an exception as a lightly recruited three star but he’s proven to be exceptional.

And the most important thing to remember when discussing Morgan is that he is almost certainly not a finished product yet. He still has time to grow and mature at the college level. No guarantees, but his best is probably yet to come.

I saw what Fleck saw in the Spring/Fall 2018 practices and before his foot injury last year. In 2018, ZA was even with TM that Spring having only been in the program a few months, and had clearly upped his performance level during Fall practices. He looked the part last year as well, and I especially noticed how he interacted with the offensive starters during his down times in those practices.

As he has demonstrated, ZA will absolutely be prepared to compete in the Spring and Fall practices. After watching all last year, he has got to be itching to get in there with his two HS O-line buddies. That being said, IMHO he would need to significantly outperform TM this Spring/Fall for it to become a decision for Fleck.

I saw what Fleck saw in the Spring/Fall 2018 practices and before his foot injury last year. In 2018, ZA was even with TM that Spring having only been in the program a few months, and had clearly upped his performance level during Fall practices. He looked the part last year as well, and I especially noticed how he interacted with the offensive starters during his down times in those practices.

As he has demonstrated, ZA will absolutely be prepared to compete in the Spring and Fall practices. After watching all last year, he has got to be itching to get in there with his two HS O-line buddies. That being said, IMHO he would need to significantly outperform TM this Spring/Fall for it to become a decision for Fleck.
I’ve used this example before, but I think it’s likely that Drew Bledsoe looked better in practice than Tom Brady. I had forgotten all about this, but Brady ran a 5.28 40 at the combine. He’s the slowest active NFL QB. He may even be slower than me. LOL.

Last edited:

Tanner Morgan is in the right program under the right circumstances. He is a team leader who is a god send. He set examples by his desire desire to continually improve as evident with the work that he did to improve his throwing mechanics by working with a WhatApps video of the Dak Twist by kinesiologist Rob Williams.

Let's zoom up a little bit and see the team from above. The whole team improved and played together like a well oiled machine. Tanner Morgan led prominently. So did a lot of other team leaders.

You have to thank PJ for installing his RTB culture and the players for buying in. PJ's narrative about "failure is growth" registered in the players minds after losing five straight games in 2018, and then win three out of the four last game. The coup de grace against the loses culminated in the beat down of Wiscy at Camp Randall, and then the mauling of Georgia Tech in in the Quick Lane Ball. Then in last season a favorable schedule helped the team grow together with the intestinal fortitude of beating all the prognosticators by winning nine straight games.

Fleck build a team with players who lead. As the season progressed, we saw the dramatic improvement with Tanner and the offense. The growth of the Offensive Line was astronomical.

Sure, Annexstad's unfortunate season ending injury was Morgan's gain. He sure did not waste his opportunity. We may never know how the Gophers would have done under Annexstad. I feel sorry for ZA. But, I am extremely happy at where the Gophers are sitting. TM had garnered more playing experience. Tanner Morgan is among the leaders in QB play. It is no accident. He got there by hard work and maximizing his talent.

How will the Gophers do in 2020? I don't know. Will it emulate PJ's zig-zag chart? Who knows. All I know is we have a foundation with the team with which they can improve on and with player lead leadership will have a semblance of a winning culture. It is no accident that the Gophers are able to upset Auburn. This team is hungry. And so is their starting QB.

Should TM decide to declare for the NFL Draft, there will be a healthy QB competition. It has to be really fun for the players doing their Sunday scrimmages during the season. You get all those starting players and backups quality reps. I bet they hold nothing back. They have good conditioning. Put the next man up, and they play with intensity and confidence.

Last edited:

If ZA is better than Morgan, then by god we have the natty wrapped up

Agree with your take. I can't imagine Fleck letting Sanford do anything drastic to the offense, some tweaks for sure but an overhaul or major change in philosophy would make zero sense considering how good the offense was last year and the amount of returning talent we have.

And as for replacing Smith and Johnson I think the answers in both case are very clear already. The running game should be in good shape with Mo as the primary back and there are a number of other guys on the roster who have shown some great potential as well.

And at receiver, Autman-Bell appears primed and ready to move into a feature role and given this staffs track record at the WR position so far it is easy to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be able to replace Johnson.

Johnson and Smith were both great players but we appear to be in a position at both RB and WR where we can reload as opposed to rebuild. And honestly, I am not totally convinced the Mo wasn't the best RB on the team last year but he was willing to be a team guy and take a bit of a backseat to Smith and Brooks in their final go around.
Tanner Morgan is in the right program under the right circumstances. He is a team leader who is a god send. He set examples by his desire desire to continually improve as evident with the work that he did to improve his throwing mechanics by working with a WhatApps video of the Dak Twist by kinesiologist Rob Williams.

Let's zoom up a little bit and see the team from above. The whole team improved and played together like a well oiled machine. Tanner Morgan led prominently. So did a lot of other team leaders.

You have to thank PJ for installing his RTB culture and the players for buying in. PJ's narrative about "failure is growth" registered in the players minds after losing five straight games in 2018, and then win three out of the four last game. The coup de grace against the loses culminated in the beat down of Wiscy at Camp Randall, and then the mauling of Georgia Tech in in the Quick Lane Ball. Then in last season a favorable schedule helped the team grow together with the intestinal fortitude of beating all the prognosticators by winning nine straight games.

Fleck build a team with players who lead. As the season progressed, we saw the dramatic improvement with Tanner and the offense. The growth of the Offensive Line was astronomical.

Sure, Annexstad's unfortunate season ending injury was Morgan's gain. He sure did not waste his opportunity. We may never know how the Gophers would have done under Annexstad. I feel sorry for ZA. But, I am extremely happy at where the Gophers are sitting. TM had garnered more playing experience. Tanner Morgan is among the leaders in QB play. It is no accident. He got there by hard work and maximizing his talent.

How will the Gophers do in 2020? I don't know. Will it emulate PJ's zig-zag chart? Who knows. All I know is we have a foundation with the team with which they can improve on and with player lead leadership will have a semblance of a winning culture. It is no accident that the Gophers are able to upset Auburn. This team is hungry. And so is their starting QB.

Should TM decide to declare for the NFL Draft, there will be a healthy QB competition. It has to be really fun for the players doing their Sunday scrimmages during the season. You get all those starting players and backups quality reps. I bet they hold nothing back. They have good conditioning. ou put the next man up and they play with intensity and confidence.

TM could easily match Aaron Rodgers Junior season...

College statistics
Career[1]42466563.85,4698.24313150.271603362.108
CompAttPctYdsAvgTDIntRateAttYdsAvgTD
YearTeamPassingRushing
2003California21534961.62,9038.3195146.58862102.45
2004California20931666.12,5668.1248154.35741261.73
Professional career
2005 NFL Draft
Rodgers was expected to be selected early in the 2005 NFL Draft as he had posted impressive numbers as a junior with Cal, throwing for 2,320 yards with a 67.5 completion rating in the regular season. He threw for 24 touchdowns and only eight interceptions in his last college season, impressing many NFL scouts. They commented that he was a "talented strong-armed junior"[46] who "combines arm strength, mechanics and delivery to make all the throws", but noted that his stats could be inflated due to playing in a quarterback-friendly system and that he would need to adjust to the more elaborate defensive schemes of the NFL.[46]

Pre-draft measurables
HeightWeight40-yard dash10-yd split20-yd split20-ss3-coneVert jumpBroadWonderlic
6 ft 2 in
(1.88 m)
223 lb
(101 kg)
4.71 s1.70 s2.81 s4.32 s7.38 s34 1⁄2 in
(0.88 m)
9 ft 2 in
(2.79 m)
35[47]
All values are from NFL Combine, except short shuttle from Pro Day[48]

TM could easily match Aaron Rodgers Junior season...

College statistics
YearTeamPassingRushing
CompAttPctYdsAvgTDIntRateAttYdsAvgTD
Career[1]42466563.85,4698.24313150.271603362.108
2003California21534961.62,9038.3195146.58862102.45
2004California20931666.12,5668.1248154.35741261.73
Professional career
2005 NFL Draft
Rodgers was expected to be selected early in the 2005 NFL Draft as he had posted impressive numbers as a junior with Cal, throwing for 2,320 yards with a 67.5 completion rating in the regular season. He threw for 24 touchdowns and only eight interceptions in his last college season, impressing many NFL scouts. They commented that he was a "talented strong-armed junior"[46] who "combines arm strength, mechanics and delivery to make all the throws", but noted that his stats could be inflated due to playing in a quarterback-friendly system and that he would need to adjust to the more elaborate defensive schemes of the NFL.[46]

Pre-draft measurables
HeightWeight40-yard dash10-yd split20-yd split20-ss3-coneVert jumpBroadWonderlic
6 ft 2 in
(1.88 m)
223 lb
(101 kg)
4.71 s1.70 s2.81 s4.32 s7.38 s34 1⁄2 in
(0.88 m)
9 ft 2 in
(2.79 m)
35[47]
All values are from NFL Combine, except short shuttle from Pro Day[48]
All his pre-draft measurables seem to improve dramatically when playing the Purple.

I think we’ll see improvement in his ability to feel pressure in the pocket and extend plays this coming season. He improved a lot in that area as this past season progressed. Some of that is related to better OL play and play calling, but we didn’t see him step into sacks very often in the latter games of the season, and he demonstrated his ability to scramble and throw on the run on several occasions. I’m sure he’s well aware of what he needs to do to get better.

Top Bottom