Tanner Morgan signed by the Vikings

They need some of that after their LoveBoat days.
Seriously though other than Jordan Addison's driving to "check on his dog" this team has stayed off the police blotter in recent years for the most part unless I'm forgetting something.

Meaning what? Bible study groups are everywhere and do serve their purpose.
Nothing in particular. Just two very openly religious QBs and a Mormon rookie from BYU. It's something they have in common.

Might be even better than the back-up QB position. As a practice squad member, I don't even think he gets to carry a clipboard. He's not allowed to travel with the team or be on sidelines during the game.
Thx, didn't know about the travel or the sidelines. Even better, then. Stay at home, watch the game with beer friends.

Might be even better than the back-up QB position.
Ah, no. Practice squad QBs who suit up the full season are paid ~$200K. The minimum salary for a player on the 53-man roster is $750K for rookies and $870K for veterans. The backup QB for the Vikings, Nick Mullens, is being paid $2.1M this season. Call me crazy, but I find the job paying 10x the salary the better job.

Ah, no. Practice squad QBs who suit up the full season are paid ~$200K. The minimum salary for a player on the 53-man roster is $750K for rookies and $870K for veterans. The backup QB for the Vikings, Nick Mullens, is being paid $2.1M this season. Call me crazy, but I find the job paying 10x the salary the better job.
You’ve got me there!

The Vikings see the value of TM's lengthy college experience. He is perfect for running the opponent's offense. He has an opportunity to get reps. At best, he gets a shot as a backup. Meanwhile, he is getting a nice paycheck.

The Vikings see the value of TM's lengthy college experience. He is perfect for running the opponent's offense. He has an opportunity to get reps. At best, he gets a shot as a backup. Meanwhile, he is getting a nice paycheck.
Yep, I remember Leidner also played for the Vikings. Skol!

Morgan will now always have the "NFL Quarterback" on his resume. Even if his gig only lasts a few weeks, he'll always be able to say he was signed by the Vikings. If you want to get into coaching, that's a nice checkbox to have.

Good for Tanner, hope he can stick there for a bit and earn a bit of money. I think practice squad is up to $12,000 a week. It should be around $100k if he can stick around for the rest of the season.
I know a guy who barely connected with a roster, but practice squad money for a few years was enough to keep him out of debt in medical school. Not a bad gig at all if you’re responsible enough financially.

An NFL Team can place up to 16 players on the practice squad - with TM the Vikings now have 13, so there is "practice squad space" as long as he is needed.

Slightly different TM question - can't remember if it was the NC game or NW game, but the camera showed TM with a clipboard and the announcer said something like "he is not allowed to talk to the players." Did I hear that correctly? And why?

An NFL Team can place up to 16 players on the practice squad - with TM the Vikings now have 13, so there is "practice squad space" as long as he is needed.

Slightly different TM question - can't remember if it was the NC game or NW game, but the camera showed TM with a clipboard and the announcer said something like "he is not allowed to talk to the players." Did I hear that correctly? And why?
Because he's an analyst, not a coach.

The trade price for Kirk Cousins must be down to 2 custard-filled long johns.
Such a peculiar situation the Vikings and Kirk Cousins have.

Like a married couple who don't get along anymore, but they have a couple kids together and a nice house and she's still kinda hot.

Everyone would rather be doing something else in their heart of hearts, but the status quo is better than the realistic alternative for all involved.

As Bob noted earlier, the Vikes backup, Mullins, has some back problems.

So - if Kirk gets knocked out of the game (yes, I know he's very durable - just doing a what if) - then BYU rookie Jaren Hall is the man, and in that scenario, Morgan becomes the emergency QB.

now I am NOT rooting or predicting that the Vikes would lose 2 QB's to injury in the same game - but there is at least a tiny chance that Morgan might have to come in and take some snaps.

when I was in college at Augsburg, one year we lost 3 QB's to injury and had to put a RB in at QB and run everything out of the shotgun. He couldn't throw very well, so we actually used a play where the TE came in motion, took a pitch and he threw a pass downfield. it wasn't pretty, but it was unique.

Not his fault the O-line is hot garbage
Agree on the O-line but the Vikings will never win the big playoff games or even beat teams above .500 with Captain obvious @ QB. Gets stripped sacked n fumbles often and apparently can not count to 3 and with his concrete shoes will rarely escape any pressure. I have been a long time season ticket holder and every year hope he proves me wrong but still waiting…….

As Bob noted earlier, the Vikes backup, Mullins, has some back problems.

So - if Kirk gets knocked out of the game (yes, I know he's very durable - just doing a what if) - then BYU rookie Jaren Hall is the man, and in that scenario, Morgan becomes the emergency QB.

now I am NOT rooting or predicting that the Vikes would lose 2 QB's to injury in the same game - but there is at least a tiny chance that Morgan might have to come in and take some snaps.

when I was in college at Augsburg, one year we lost 3 QB's to injury and had to put a RB in at QB and run everything out of the shotgun. He couldn't throw very well, so we actually used a play where the TE came in motion, took a pitch and he threw a pass downfield. it wasn't pretty, but it was unique.
I’m going to ignore the injury topic and say I would love to see Tanner play.

Maybe the other QBs get pregnant or something…

Unpaid volunteer assistants are not assistant coaches and are the same as you or I on contact with players in the facility.

Agree on the O-line but the Vikings will never win the big playoff games or even beat teams above .500 with Captain obvious @ QB. Gets stripped sacked n fumbles often and apparently can not count to 3 and with his concrete shoes will rarely escape any pressure. I have been a long time season ticket holder and every year hope he proves me wrong but still waiting…….
It will fun to see your reaction next year with a rookie QB helming a 3-14 season.

Top Bottom