Tanner Morgan needs to be the starter against Illinois

Morgan looked good in the first half. In the second he...and the team started to tank it. We're lucky the safety bit on play action and Bateman got an open catch near the end of the game.
Rollercoaster is what we get from this team and Morgan. I'll take first half Morgan. That was fun to watch. Second half Morgan...not so much.

Part of this was on the playcalling in the second half. We were on our way to put the game away before Brooks fumble, that can't be on Morgan. We were then in that space where we wanted to run out the clock but also wanted first downs, so we got into a run-run-pass rhythm, and the situations just weren't as advantageous as they were earlier.

The pick was bad and the miss to the TE was bad, but I thought the situation impacted Morgan's second half more than things he was doing.

Morgan looked good in the first half. In the second he...and the team started to tank it. We're lucky the safety bit on play action and Bateman got an open catch near the end of the game.
Rollercoaster is what we get from this team and Morgan. I'll take first half Morgan. That was fun to watch. Second half Morgan...not so much.

When our guys don’t make plays, it’s either the coaching or lack of talent.

When another team doesn’t make a play, we got lucky.

Definitely think Morgan starts next week not knowing Annexstad's recovery timeline. He was in street clothes last night so my thought is he's at least another week from being 100%.

I do think Morgan benefited a lot from having Brooks as well. having that run threat gave him time.

If Morgan has a good game Saturday it will be interesting what Fleck does for the Purdue game if both are healthy.

I've been a big ZA backer, but if he doesn't have something close to 100% mobility I start Morgan next week. The ability to move provided a noticeable difference last night.

JTG

Part of this was on the playcalling in the second half. We were on our way to put the game away before Brooks fumble, that can't be on Morgan. We were then in that space where we wanted to run out the clock but also wanted first downs, so we got into a run-run-pass rhythm, and the situations just weren't as advantageous as they were earlier.

The pick was bad and the miss to the TE was bad, but I thought the situation impacted Morgan's second half more than things he was doing.

Oh yeah there was the miss to the TE. I *think* he was trying to throw over the outstretched hands of the DL, which caused it to be too high. Look at me, the TM apologist.

<b>When our guys don’t make plays, it’s either the coaching or lack of talent.</b>

When another team doesn’t make a play, we got lucky.

Not true. Sometimes it’s because we are young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to start Morgan.

That said, he had the advantage of better o-line play, receivers that continue to get better, and the Indiana defense.

This. Here is the comparison I’ve seen thus far:

Arm strength: Annextad (barely)
Short pass accuracy: Tie
Long pass accuracy: Morgan
Mobility: Morgan
Pocket presence: Morgan
Running ability: Morgan

I actually saw Morgan look to his primary receiver, see he was covered, then throw a completion to a secondary receiver. When has that last occurred in MN? I don’t remember. I like Z. A. , but Morgan is the EASY choice for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

ZA and TJ + Winfield won the Fresno St game. Don’t forget that epic performance

I’ll let you have that one but remember ZA also didn’t throw a td pass and his numbers weren’t eyepopping. I’d say he was efficient that game. What do they call it, he managed the game well.

I don't think Zach ever looked this good. What has Morgan been doing on the bench all season? He had a great game (and not this "great game for a young player" crap, that was a legitimate Big Ten quarterback performance).

Zach has had a few moments. I agree with your overall sentiment. I see ZA as a game manager and not a quarterback we can count on to make a play in the clutch. And Morgan’s stat line was a legitimate NFL quarterback performance not just college.

Last edited:

It’s a small sample size but our Captain Morgan would be the #3 rated QB in FBS by ESPN QBR (86.0) and #3 in passer rating (174.3) if he had enough attempts. #1 in Big Ten in both.

I think he deserves another chance.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan needs to start next week. If anything, give Zach a little more time to heal.

Go with the hot hand. We need wins. Recruits are watching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Captain Morgan needs to start next week. If anything, give Zach a little more time to heal.

Morgan starts because he is the better QB. If Kick C reads this forum, be sure to check out Texas Tech. A play they ran would work right in with our offense. The TT QB and receives look once sometimes twice to the sideline(like we do). Only this time the receivers look but the QB only looks for the snap. Defense is relaxed explaining QB to bark out a call. Instead the ball is snapped, first down run.

Zach has had a few moments. I agree with your overall sentiment. I see ZA as a game manager and not a quarterback we can count on to make a play in the clutch. And Morgan’s stat line was a legitimate NFL quarterback performance not just college.

Think it is way to early to make these kind of calls on either guy. Morgan had a great game and if ZA is still battling injury at all then Morgan should be back out there against Illinois.

Need to keep in mind that Morgan was making his first start so there is no book on him yet. Things may get a little tougher for him against better defenses and after coaches have a chance to figure out his tendencies.

The exciting part about this is that no matter which one of them ends up winning the job long term it appears we have 2 very capable options at the QB position which is not something we have been able to say around here for quite some time. On top of that we have a legit group of WR that could be a ton of fun to watch over the next few seasons. Lots of reasons to feel great about the prospects of the offense moving forward.

Not going to Champaign like I usually do as it is a great road trip but this should be an interesting game.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with MNVCG. We actually have a choice.

I have to go back to Travis Cole and Bryan Cupito to have two actual starters available at the same time in the same season for our beloved rodents.

That was 2004...and really...Mason played both over the season because they both could run the offense.

I'm not saying there weren't multiple options as starters on occasion since then...rather it appears we have two bone fides available now (if healthy).

Uncharted territory...since at least for a while...for Gopher Nation...

Last edited:

Top Bottom