Tanner Morgan is Overrated

LOL. What?

There is no comparison between those two quarterbacks as far as arm strength goes.

I'm positive there will be more people that disagree with you on that than would agree with you and it won't even be close. Petras has a big arm as far as strength goes.

I watched petras underthrow just about every downfield pass. Dude is barely completing 50% of his passes on the season and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.

If I'm looking at B1G QB tiers this year it's basically

Tier 1 - Fields
Tier 1.5 - Tagovailoa, Mertz, & Penix
Middle of the Pack - Everyone else (including Morgan)
Not good - Vedral, Petras, Martinez

Morgan has played not well this year and is still better than any QB we've had since Cupito.
He has tier 1.5 upside, and if this is his floor, then it's still better than Minnesota has any right to reasonably ask for after the last 15 years.

Last edited:

I watched petras underthrow just about every downfield pass. Dude is barely completing 50% of his passes on the season and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.

Tier 1 - Fields

Morgan has played not well this year and is still better than any QB we've had since Cupito.
He has tier 1.5 upside, and if this is his floor, then it's still better than Minnesota has any right to reasonably ask for after the last 15 years.
Fact.

Most important quality for a QB is? Accuracy, just ask Drew Breeze.

Tier 1 - Fields

I didn't know there are QB tiers...let alone half-tiers.

Tier 1 - Fields

Well stated. Martinez just did not get it done, now looks like McCaffery's 4th son is going to be the starter going forward. Had a great first half, then Penn St came alive and had four chances to tie the game with goal to go, couldn't get it done.

Tier 1 - Fields

You obviously have watched very little football

Petras has an extremely strong arm.

He just has had very poor touch. Yes he underthrew some guys on Saturday but it's because he's been way overthrowing people and zinging balls off of people's hands. He's trying to find some touch

Anyone who thinks Morgan has a stronger arm is a fool and doesn't actually know if the first thing about athletics

Again, go back and look at your post and my response. We're talking about arm strength here.

He just has had very poor touch. Yes he underthrew some guys on Saturday but it's because he's been way overthrowing people and zinging balls off of people's hands. He's trying to find some touch

Anyone who thinks Morgan has a stronger arm is a fool and doesn't actually know if the first thing about athletics

Again, go back and look at your post and my response. We're talking about arm strength here.

Makes me wonder if anyone really throws at the extreme end of how far they can throw.

I would assume that is a pretty innacurate throw if you're at that point, maybe don't ever want to throw that kinda throw outside a hail mary.

I don't know if that is the coordinator not dialing up the right kinds of plays, or if the coordinator doesn't trust the QB to execute anything besides that kind of play, or if the QB literally can't execute something more diverse.

I think that you nailed it right on the head... I don't think the offensive coordinator has any faith in Morgan throwing downfield.

IA Fan in da house!

If by arm strength you mean inaccuracy, then yeah sure, mitch had a pretty strong arm too.

Our receivers could maybe pick it up a bit for Morgan

That, in a nutshell, is the difference between this year and 2019... Last season, the receivers were making spectacular catches. Those aren't happening, this year. I will say that Johnson could drop some easy balls on occasion, but when it was needed, he'd make a circus catch. Autman-Bell made some significant, difficult catches in big situations last year, as well. Who can forget Bryce Witham making a fantastic, one-handed reception in the bowl game against Auburn? Morgan's stats were inflated by those difficult catches, to be sure. He isn't able to count on those this year, and his statistics this season reflect that.

What it boils down to is that Morgan greatly benefited from his receivers last year. He hasn't gotten that help this season...

Is he...?
I could be ...

giphy.gif

TM2 vs Purdue:
15/22 (68%) for 264 yards, 0 ints. Had 7 completions of 20+ yards. "oOVerrRaTeDd!"

Top Bottom