Tanner Morgan is Overrated

I also think that sack/fumble early on in the Michigan game could have been a real confidence breaker. Like, not only did you get sacked, but you didn't feel it coming, and you fumbled, and they scored off the fumble. Like, that's worse case scenario for a QB right? I'm wondering if that's also contributing to a possible mental component too?

It's strange because it is coming out late ... on the same passes that worked last year. Not sure I buy into the "system changed" story with those.
Just because last year you threw a slant and this year you threw a slant does not mean they are the same play.

the system is more complicated this year and it is showing with his tentativeness. I haven’t seen Morgan look this tentative in his whole career.

I would argue they are coaching him down. If he was all big ten making simple reads and he is struggling with complicated reads, time to simplify the reads.

Have you checked out TCUs football blog - killer frogs? The fans are wondering why max Duggan is missing wide open wrs and why they have bad qbs on scholarship. It’s 2016 MN all over again down in the big D.

thoughts - I suspect that either Morgan or the coaches do not entirely trust the re-vamped OL to pass-block. Or at least not to pass-block long enough to set up slower-developing downfield patterns.

and - FWIW - when Daunte Culpepper was the Vike's QB, I remember reading an article that said the game plan basically had Culpepper only watch one side of the field in order to cut down his reads and simplify the system. So, that was a case of the system being adjusted to fit with the QB's capabilities. (of course, it didn't hurt that he had Moss at WR...)

Our receivers could maybe pick it up a bit for Morgan and whomever is the O coordinator could maybe figure out how to expand Morgan's options in the short passing game. It cannot be easy to play his position when his head coach runs out on the field and racks up a 15yard penalty for being stupid.

Our receivers could maybe pick it up a bit for Morgan and whomever is the O coordinator could maybe figure out how to expand Morgan's options in the short passing game. It cannot be easy to play his position when his head coach runs out on the field and racks up a 15yard penalty for being stupid.

Yeah Morgan isn't mistake free, but WRs, there were catchable balls in that game that weren't.

When everyone makes mistkaes it piles up so much more.

Yeah Morgan isn't mistake free, but WRs, there were catchable balls in that game that weren't.

When everyone makes mistakes it piles up so much more.

Some of the throws Morgan is making will get his receivers killed, I don’t blame them for short arming them. The lack of a deep ball this year is so confusing to me. Last year the would throw 5-8 times 30 yards down the field to great success now it’s a 5 yard slant and hope it’s caught.

Let me ramble for a sec to see if I can shake something loose. If you don’t like wild speculation, don’t read this.

DAE remember which game this might have happened in? I think it was within the last 3 games last year.

I’ll have to report back after finding the replay, but there was a game late last season where TM got rocked in the head. (As a person who suffered a TBI, I know I can sometimes exaggerate brain stuff, but I swear to dog, when we next saw Tanned at a midweek(?) he looked extremely... dazed to me.

I followed the team closely last year, and when you do that with any team, you start to convince yourself you know something about the guys. Last year this happened to me with the twins as well. I watched day in, day out, sometimes closely but other times as background noise while working or cooking or listening with one ear bud while out and about. This year I didn’t do that and felt like a total outsider watching the Twins. It was a starkly different fan experience. Anyway, all that to say I was pretty tuned into the team last year and became convinced TM took a blow and was never the same. Like he looked out of it from then on during press conferences, I thought... even though he (and the offense) had a tremendous against auburn.
Obviously if I was such a fan, I should remember which game, but tbh last year is a bit of blur to me now.

I no longer live in Minneapolis and only experienced the season through screens, so maybe it’s just me cuz my perspective was skewed and I’m hyper vigilant about brain injuries.

Let me ramble for a sec to see if I can shake something loose. If you don’t like wild speculation, don’t read this.

DAE remember which game this might have happened in? I think it was within the last 3 games last year.

I’ll have to report back after finding the replay, but there was a game late last season where TM got rocked in the head. (As a person who suffered a TBI, I know I can sometimes exaggerate brain stuff, but I swear to dog, when we next saw Tanned at a midweek(?) he looked extremely... dazed to me.

I followed the team closely last year, and when you do that with any team, you start to convince yourself you know something about the guys. Last year this happened to me with the twins as well. I watched day in, day out, sometimes closely but other times as background noise while working or cooking or listening with one ear bud while out and about. This year I didn’t do that and felt like a total outsider watching the Twins. It was a starkly different fan experience. Anyway, all that to say I was pretty tuned into the team last year and became convinced TM took a blow and was never the same. Like he looked out of it from then on during press conferences, I thought... even though he (and the offense) had a tremendous against auburn.
Obviously if I was such a fan, I should remember which game, but tbh last year is a bit of blur to me now.

I no longer live in Minneapolis and only experienced the season through screens, so maybe it’s just me cuz my perspective was skewed and I’m hyper vigilant about brain injuries.
Jerry kill tried this excuse for leidner when we lost 14-7 to Iowa. Fact was Leidballs couldn’t read a d. Tanner is fine but struggling with reading the d right now.

Some of the throws Morgan is making will get his receivers killed, I don’t blame them for short arming them. The lack of a deep ball this year is so confusing to me. Last year the would throw 5-8 times 30 yards down the field to great success now it’s a 5 yard slant and hope it’s caught.
That’s funny because other posters are complaining we never throw slants anymore

Yeah. Morgan was a really good quarterback when making simple reads.
They are trying to implement a different kind of passing game and it hasn’t clicked yet.

If they keep beating their heads against a wall it means they think he can get better at it and it is a long term play. I personally would rather keep it simple and effective even if the upside is slightly lower.

This year is not on Tanner Morgan, and if Simon and that WKU retread Sanford actually changed up the offense much from last year, they both deserve to be fired on the spot. I doubt PJF gave them a lot of room to move it too much.

I'd hate to think they F'ed with his mechanics from last year, Jed Fisch style as well.

This year is really all about the defensive implosion.

This is totally like Children of Dune when Muad'Dib proves to be less than perfect.

Jim Zebrowski is still at Buffalo as qb coach if mn is interested.

He wasn't even the weakest arm on the field yesterday.

so I'm not sure what you're watching.
LOL. What?

There is no comparison between those two quarterbacks as far as arm strength goes.

I'm positive there will be more people that disagree with you on that than would agree with you and it won't even be close. Petras has a big arm as far as strength goes.

Top Bottom