Tanner Morgan is a young Drew Brees

Already one of my favorite Gophers of all time.

Keep in mind, all of these accomplishments came about AFTER losing his job to a WO FR QB and taking that experience in stride.

If he continues on his current trajectory the Drew Brees comparisons will start to pop up everywhere. As others have mentioned, his lack of measurables will probably ensure he is here for the next two years because the NFL is obsessed with guys fitting a certain mold.

At this point the sky is the limit for this kid. He has done an amazing job over his first 1.5 seasons at the helm, and everything sets up perfect for him to have another huge year next year. An experienced line in front of him with 6 guys that have all started and played significant minutes, a talented RB in the backfield in Mo and multiple weapons at WR. As long as the line gives him time he has shown elite level decision making and accuracy.

This offense should explode in 2020 as long as whoever ends up running it doesn't mess with things too much. All the pieces are in place for this unit to take another step with a ton of returning talent and experience. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

People want to say that if we were a First Tier program that Morgan would be in the Heisman talks. That’s true. Who’s to say that by Morgan’s senior year that we won’t be considered a First Tier team led by an expected NFL QB? I mean honestly, I think people are still downplaying the trajectory this program is on right now. And downplaying the speed at which we are moving upward. Fleck’s first season we were all thinking “man, we might be waiting close to another decade for a 9-4 season we had under Claeys”. It’s his 3rd year and we end 11-2. 2 years ago our QB situation was one of the single most ugly situations I’ve ever seen. We were juggling Croft and Rhoda, our offense had no ability to move at all really. We go from that to being in the CFP talks up until the last week of the regular season. That is quite literally insane turn around. I’ll put my chips in on the side that says Morgan most definitely ends up in the NFL.

People want to say that if we were a First Tier program that Morgan would be in the Heisman talks. That’s true.

IMO Tanner wasn’t limited by our “2nd tier” status as much as he was by the unimpressive/inconsistent play in first three games of the season. He got a late start, and let’s just acknowledge Joe Burrow and the amazing season he had.

I actually expect Tanner to be on the watch list/ Dark horse Heisman candidate heading into next season.

Tanner seems to be bald, remarkable for a man about 20 years old.

Morgan’s final stat line.

210/318, 66%

3253 yards

10.2 YPA

30 TD, 7 INT

Rating: 178.7

I’m pretty sure those are all Gopher records.

Morgan’s final stat line.

210/318, 66%

3253 yards

10.2 YPA

30 TD, 7 INT

Rating: 178.7

I’m pretty sure those are all Gopher records.
if he has two more season like that, he will pass drew brees for tds and be challenging jt barrett for number one all time in the big ten. he will be up there with brees for completions and brees/painter/weber for most yards. in fact, he will the leader or among the top 3 in all-time big ten qb categories that matter.

He's unflappable. He never gets flustered. He simply competes, and executes, like a boss.
I agree with this. In my opinion his two passes to Witham were things of beauty. In both cases he had defenders between himself and the receiver. He was cool enough to loft the ball over the defenders with incredible finesse. It is easy for QB's to see the defender located directly between himself and the receiver, lose his poise and not throw it high enough to get over the jumping defender. He feathered the ball in there perfectly in both instances, dropping those two passes right "down the silo." This guy is a gamer! Go Gophers!

Already one of my favorite Gophers of all time.

Keep in mind, all of these accomplishments came about AFTER losing his job to a WO FR QB and taking that experience in stride.

Well....let's keep in mind that Annexstad had a scholarship offer and he chose to give it up so that Dunlap could come here. Not exactly a typical walk-on.

Well....let's keep in mind that Annexstad had a scholarship offer and he chose to give it up so that Dunlap could come here. Not exactly a typical walk-on.

Yeah. It was no slight to ZA. I just meant that Tanner never wavered (at least not publicly) when someone younger than him came into the program and appeared to beat him out for the starting job. I'm sure it was hard. It would be hard for anyone who is competitive.

What a difference an accurate passing QB can make to the success of the team. He essentially had no bad games this season, looking past the occasional interception his accuracy was crazy good. A big shout out to a few amazing receivers with the focus, talent and desire to pull in those passes - can't have one without the other.

Didn’t read all the replies, but I think Tanner is under appreciated in the media, both locally and nationally. He makes the right throw almost always and is very accurate. Glad he’s back for two more years! Rtb

If Nick Mullens can not only be a serviceable backup, but be considered a possible spot starter for a struggling franchise, I think that Tanner Morgan has a shot to find a role in the NFL. Don't think him leaving early will have much of an impact either way

If Tanner hypothetically opted for the NFL draft this year, where do you think he would fall? Serious question as I don't follow the whole NFL draft scene.

Tanner sits at #5 in the country in ESPN's QBR rating which is supposed to account for all sorts of success factors including key downs and defense. That's rarified air. Having great receivers definitely helps, but so do all the guys in front of him (Tua/AL, Burrow/LSU, Hurts/OK, Fields/OSU).

Height and mediocre speed probably push him down some notches but character probably pushes him up. Pundits question his arm strength, but the bullet thrown to TJ for the long TD in the Outback was 45 yards in the air and on the money. That was no lofted hail mary bomb.

edit add: after watching putrid quarterback play in other bowl games with guys who have supposedly great athletic talent but no touch nor feel for "throwing a receiver open", it's wonderful to have a good QB.

If Tanner hypothetically opted for the NFL draft this year, where do you think he would fall? Serious question as I don't follow the whole NFL draft scene.

That is a really interesting question. I also don't follow the draft close enough to get a read on where he would be projected but would be interesting to know. NFL is so obsessed with size/speed/measurables that a guy like Morgan will get dinged some for not having the prototypical stats teams are looking for.

Morgan just seems like a guy who will stay for the duration of his college career and won't get much NFL buzz until after his senior year. That said, if he has another big season next year it will be interesting to see if that changes.

Poised and accurate passer. Gophers will only have him one more year at this rate. Hope the Vikings draft him.

1. Brees was probably the best college QB of people in my generation. Morgan has played extremely well, but he is not in that class.

2. Morgan likely is not going pro next year and might go undrafted when all is said and done.

Top Bottom