Taking a spin around the B1G fan forums

This year feels different. In years past he would have run the ball up the middle 60 times the first two games. This year, looked like we ran an actual offense and worked on things during those games. He’s really talked up this teams’ potential and yes he has a bunch of super seniors that he brought back. I think he’s really targeted this year as the one that could be super special.

Interesting. It may be that this season will stand our one brief, shining moment in the sun.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe the Gopher football program has grown to the point where we will be a true contender in the B1G from now on, not just for this one season. To me, Fleck's vision looks sustainable.

Last edited:

Interesting. It may be that this season is our one, big moment in the sun.

I could be in the minority here, but I see the Gopher football program as one to be reckoned with in the B1G from now on, not just this season. To me, Fleck's vision looks sustainable.
We got a glimpse of what can be in 2019 but we were ahead of schedule at that point. KC leaving combined with hiring the wrong replacement and dealing with the mess that was 2020 set us back a little. Seems like things are finally back on track again and we are getting to see what Fleck has been building. We look deep and talented.

I kind of liked the 1000 cuts offense but 12 yards and a could of dust is pretty good too.
Dang, "the 1000 cuts offense" works really well too. Hmmm. Time for a poll?

Like someone wrote, "what's not to like?" His winning % is impressive, his players have not been in trouble (as far as I know), and his team executes on the field better than most any Gopher team I can recall. OK, some of his comments are on the corny side, the tight, short pants with no socks look and the extended on-field make-outs with Heather after a big win some might bother some, but that's their problem. Go Gophers
I wouldn't mind having extentended make-outs with her either...win or lose.😃

Not really. The Gophers were further along and closer (9-0, top 5) in 2019.

Perhaps but they certainly are higher regarded this season than they were after four games in 2019.
After four games in 2019, their resume was three close victories in nonconference (including one that required a minor miracle finish to win) and an amazing aerial performance in a one score victory over Purdue. Their running game was averaging 2.6 yards per carry and their defense was allowing just under 30 points per game.

Last edited:

Perhaps but they certainly are higher regarded this season than they were after four games in 2019.
After four games in 2019, they struggled in nonconference (albeit against better competition) and had an amazing aerial performance in a one score victory over Purdue.

Yep. They beat South Dakota State by 7, Georgia Southern and Fresno State by 3.

Took a TD with 13 seconds left to beat Georgia Southern, a team that went 7-6.

It took 2 Overtimes to beat Fresno. A team that finished 4-8!

After nearly blowing a 28-10 Halftime lead against Purdue doubt the talk got any better.

If you go back the the Gopherhole boards after that stretch, bet there was zero talk of having a great team, or season.

It took the beatings they gave Illinois and Nebraska to get people excited around here.

People hate him for 2 somewhat related reasons.

1. He is flamboyant. James Franklin gets a lot of similar misguided hate for this IMO.
2. He doesn't fit people's vision of an old time, masculine, tough guy stoic type of football coach. He is small, wears tight pants and flashy jewelry, and runs up and down the sidelines between quarters.

Both stupid, but I don't care if fans of other teams hate our coach. What does bother me is when our local media/fan base gets so caught up in these stupid things that they can't appreciate that we have the best head coach any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

I'll buy your two explanations although my impression is that the average head football coach is an overweight middle aged guy who often looks older than his years. Fleck is very verbal and fast talking. You see that "used car salesman or con man" characterization from some opposing fans frequently. As a born and bred easterner, I think he would be perceived as more normal if he coached in the east where people tend to be more verbal and fast talking.

Just curious if there is a list of other team's message boards?

I only frequent Gopherhole and I check in from time-to-time with Buckyville.

The MSU beatdown in the 2:30 time slot registered with a lot of people that post on fan forums around the Big Ten.

Almost every Big Ten West (and a few East) boards have some sort of "Minnesota looks good" or "Fleck" thread and they are driving a lot of posts. Lots of opinions. The amount of attention within the conference directed at the Gophers skyrocketed during/after the MSU game.

In a nutshell, people were impressed by how thoroughly the Gophers were beating MSU, and commonly focused on the O line and what a good job Fleck has done building the team. There is a lot of conversation about "Are the Gophers that good or MSU that bad?" All in all, a fair amount of respect shown by the opposing fan bases.

The strongest themes involve Fleck. A very common viewpoint that he is an azzhole, jerk, etc. but apparently begrudgingly "can coach." It amazes me how thoroughly he drives negative reactions in opposing fans. They absolutely HATE him. I was thinking... other than a veiled shot at Frost "culture over talent", I can't think of many (any?) things he has said that would trigger other fan bases. He is usually very complimentary of Gopher opponents and their coaches. But, the hatred just flows and he really gets under people's skin! Almost every compliment directed at him was carefully balanced with some form of "don't get me wrong, he is still a jerk" comment.
I've seen some of "Michigan State isn't that good either." MSU has gone from great to terrible in the span of a week. The thing is, if you beat a team early in the season their record can't look that good. If MSU had won against the Gophers they would have been 3-1 and people's perceptions of them wouldn't have changed much. Instead, they're 2-2 and that gives them a much more negative status with many fans.

Interesting. It may be that this season will stand our one brief, shining moment in the sun.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe the Gopher football program has grown to the point where we will be a true contender in the B1G from now on, not just for this one season. To me, Fleck's vision looks sustainable.
The phrase I can't get out of my head is when PJ told the fans in his press conference after losing to WI in 2019 "WE ARE NOT GOING BACK" referring to the same old cynical mentality that MN can't win championships. I have believed those words ever since. We are now starting to see the vision come to life on the field.

This year feels different. In years past he would have run the ball up the middle 60 times the first two games. This year, looked like we ran an actual offense and worked on things during those games. He’s really talked up this teams’ potential and yes he has a bunch of super seniors that he brought back. I think he’s really targeted this year as the one that could be super special.
That’s just Sanford vs KC.

On Michigan and the Jug - this is a minority view, but I see the Jug as a 'regular season' trophy.

Here's a what-if:

let's say the B1G goes to a no-division setup. and in some future year, the Gophers play IA in the regular season and they somehow wind up as the #1 and #2 teams, so they meet again in the Conference Championship game. Is the Pig on the line in both games?

I think that is why some have said that the Jug would not be on the line in a Conference Title game.

On Michigan and the Jug - this is a minority view, but I see the Jug as a 'regular season' trophy.

Here's a what-if:

let's say the B1G goes to a no-division setup. and in some future year, the Gophers play IA in the regular season and they somehow wind up as the #1 and #2 teams, so they meet again in the Conference Championship game. Is the Pig on the line in both games?

I think that is why some have said that the Jug would not be on the line in a Conference Title game.
Why would it not be? Is there something that says it cannot?

Why would it not be? Is there something that says it cannot?
I don't follow OPs pov. The trophy is awarded to the winner of football games between two teams. If the teams play the trophy is on the line. Gophers played Michigan twice in a year before and the jug was on the line both times.

Last edited:

I don't follow OPs pov. The trophy is awarded to the winner of football games between two teams. If the teams play the trophy is on the line. Gophers played Michigan twice in a year before and the jug was on the line both times.
I don’t think this is accurate but regardless, I think the Jug should be on the line only in the first game between the two teams, if they play more than once. Under the current system, the second meeting would have to be for the B1G championship trophy.

To clarify, this means that if they ONLY played in the B1G championship game, then the Jug SHOULD be on the line along with the championship trophy.

I don’t think this is accurate but regardless, I think the Jug should be on the line only in the first game between the two teams, if they play more than once. Under the current system, the second meeting would have to be for the B1G championship trophy.

To clarify, this means that if they ONLY played in the B1G championship game, then the Jug SHOULD be on the line along with the championship trophy.
Apologies if I misunderstand. If you are saying it's not accurate that the Jug was not on the line when the teams played twice in a year -- here is my proof. Michigan and Minnesota played twice in 1926 both scores are recorded on the Jug. You can see it between Cedric Johnson's middle and index finger.

1926 Golden Gophers Football

Apologies if I misunderstand. If you are saying it's not accurate that the Jug was not on the line when the teams played twice in a year -- here is my proof. Michigan and Minnesota played twice in 1926 both scores are recorded on the Jug. You can see it between Cedric Johnson's middle and index finger.

Thank you for posting that photo. I had forgotten about that anomaly which I now remember seeing written on the Jug years ago and wondering about at the time.

Your post spurred me to do a little research as to why. Turns out that after the 1925 season the Big Ten instituted a rule requiring members to play at least four conference games to be eligible for the conference championship. Minnesota had only played three conference games in 1925 (Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan). When the Big Ten met in December 1925 to finalize the 1926 conference schedules, only those three initially agreed to play the Gophers in 1926.

During the meeting, the remaining schools were pressed to be Minnesota’s fourth conference opponent, but there were no takers.

Based on various accounts at the time, other Big Ten coaches were wary of Minnesota’s extreme physicality on defense and of Gopher coach Doc Spears’ implementation of the Shift offense popularized by Spears’ good friend Knute Rockne of Notre Dame.

Michigan lore has it that Fielding Yost finally agreed to play a second Jug game in 1926 if Spears would ditch his version of the Shift offense. The most prominent coaches of the Big Ten (Yost, Bob Zuppke at Illinois and Amos Alonzo Stagg at Chicago) thought the Shift should be made illegal as it commonly had all four backs in motion simultaneously.

As a sidenote, at the same meeting, Northwestern also agreed to play Indiana twice in 1926 to ensure the Hoosiers would play the requisite four conference games. It seems a little odd that the conference didn’t simply require Indiana and Minnesota to play, thus solving the problem for both schools, as Northwestern and Michigan had already secured the minimum. It’s ironic that Michigan and Northwestern finished as co-champions at 5-0 but did not play each other that year, perhaps due to their doubling up with Minnesota and Indiana, respectively.

Last edited:

Thank you for posting that photo. I had forgotten about that anomaly which I now remember seeing written on the Jug years ago and wondering about at the time.

Your post spurred me to do a little research as to why. Turns out that after the 1925 season the Big Ten instituted a rule requiring members to play at least four conference games to be eligible for the conference championship. Minnesota had only played three conference games in 1925 (Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan). When the Big Ten met in December 1925 to finalize the 1926 conference schedules, only those three initially agreed to play the Gophers in 1926.

During the meeting, the remaining schools were pressed to be Minnesota’s fourth conference opponent, but there were no takers.

Based on various accounts at the time, other Big Ten coaches were wary of Minnesota’s extreme physicality on defense and of Gopher coach Doc Spears’ implementation of the Shift offense popularized by Spears’ good friend Knute Rockne of Notre Dame.

Michigan lore has it that Fielding Yost finally agreed to play a second Jug game in 1926 if Spears would ditch his version of the Shift offense. The most prominent coaches of the Big Ten (Yost, Bob Zuppke at Illinois and Amos Alonzo Stagg at Chicago) thought the Shift should be made illegal as it commonly had all four backs in motion simultaneously.

As a sidenote, at the same meeting, Northwestern also agreed to play Indiana twice in 1926 to ensure the Hoosiers would play the requisite four conference games. It seems a little odd that the conference didn’t simply require Indiana and Minnesota to play, thus solving the problem for both schools, as Northwestern and Michigan had already secured the minimum. It’s ironic that Michigan and Northwestern finished as co-champions at 5-0 but did not play each other that year, perhaps due to their doubling up with Minnesota and Indiana, respectively.
This is absolutely FASCINATING!

If there is a traveling trophy between two teams it should ALWAYS be up for grabs whenever they play. Why would it not be? If we somehow met Michigan in the B1G title game the damn jug better also be on the line!

If there is a traveling trophy between two teams it should ALWAYS be up for grabs whenever they play. Why would it not be? If we somehow met Michigan in the B1G title game the damn jug better also be on the line!
Also in the National Championship Game!

Top Bottom