Taking a spin around the B1G fan forums

I could easily see the Big Ten powers telling both teams on the down low "Do not put the JUG on the line and do not talk about the JUG". They wouldn't like the optics of a team just winning the conference and being more interesting parading around a 120 year old drinking JUG than the "Dr Pepper Big Ten Championship Trophy"
I would think it’d be the exact opposite and they’d want to hype it up

Like someone wrote, "what's not to like?" His winning % is impressive, his players have not been in trouble (as far as I know), and his team executes on the field better than most any Gopher team I can recall. OK, some of his comments are on the corny side, the tight, short pants with no socks look and the extended on-field make-outs with Heather after a big win some might bother some, but that's their problem. Go Gophers

The MSU beatdown in the 2:30 time slot registered with a lot of people that post on fan forums around the Big Ten.

Almost every Big Ten West (and a few East) boards have some sort of "Minnesota looks good" or "Fleck" thread and they are driving a lot of posts. Lots of opinions. The amount of attention within the conference directed at the Gophers skyrocketed during/after the MSU game.

In a nutshell, people were impressed by how thoroughly the Gophers were beating MSU, and commonly focused on the O line and what a good job Fleck has done building the team. There is a lot of conversation about "Are the Gophers that good or MSU that bad?" All in all, a fair amount of respect shown by the opposing fan bases.

The strongest themes involve Fleck. A very common viewpoint that he is an azzhole, jerk, etc. but apparently begrudgingly "can coach." It amazes me how thoroughly he drives negative reactions in opposing fans. They absolutely HATE him. I was thinking... other than a veiled shot at Frost "culture over talent", I can't think of many (any?) things he has said that would trigger other fan bases. He is usually very complimentary of Gopher opponents and their coaches. But, the hatred just flows and he really gets under people's skin! Almost every compliment directed at him was carefully balanced with some form of "don't get me wrong, he is still a jerk" comment.
I bet they will take him in a heartbeat, ahem, Nebraska.

Like someone wrote, "what's not to like?" His winning % is impressive, his players have not been in trouble (as far as I know), and his team executes on the field better than most any Gopher team I can recall. OK, some of his comments are on the corny side, the tight, short pants with no socks look and the extended on-field make-outs with Heather after a big win some might bother some, but that's their problem. Go Gophers
Three players arrested, one kicked off, one transferred and then there was the gopher007/Shannon Brooks situation. all things considered it's nowhere near competing for the Fulmer cup.

I noticed the same thing on several Nebraska chat lines - a really surprising dislike of the man and his "culture," but especially the man, yet many hoping he'll be hired at Nebby because "he can win." Both false and real stats being kicked around, to make the argument. Even those who want to hire him think he's eccentric (I don't, by the way). Ironic that Frost dismissed the "culture" at MN and now Trev Alberts is pushing a "needed culture" at Nebraska from the next coach. PJ seems perfectly fine to me - has a culture that goes beyond football a bit to include character, self-sacrificing, work ethic - what's not to like? His 62% winning average is the best at UM since pre-World War II Bierman!
Sounds like it is time to legitimize the bits of a broken chair?

Honestly, the hatred is probably driven almost entirely by historical perception. The fans that hate him have become accustomed to Minnesota being a lower-mid level B1G program and are not comfortable with having MN be a contender. Call it jealousy, whatever you want, the anger is with the success, not so much the person/coach.
PJ is an easy target and I don’t think it has a thing to do with our success. It’s him, not the wins. I could list ten things that bug me about his schtick, but the fact is a subset of the 18-23 year old football playing young men love playing for him and that’s really pretty much all that matters; at least as long as he has strong coordinators like he does now. I also think he’s all in for this year and really believes in this team. We are special right now and it’s unknown if we will be able to maintain that level going forward so the fact that he’s pushing all his chips in right now is great.

Three players arrested, one kicked off, one transferred and then there was the gopher007/Shannon Brooks situation. all things considered it's nowhere near competing for the Fulmer cup.
What players? None of these are recent.

OK, if true, I stand corrected.

PJ is an easy target and I don’t think it has a thing to do with our success. It’s him, not the wins. I could list ten things that bug me about his schtick, but the fact is a subset of the 18-23 year old football playing young men love playing for him and that’s really pretty much all that matters; at least as long as he has strong coordinators like he does now. I also think he’s all in for this year and really believes in this team. We are special right now and it’s unknown if we will be able to maintain that level going forward so the fact that he’s pushing all his chips in right now is great.
How can he be all in when he keeps playing Morgan and MSM?

How can he be all in when he keeps playing Morgan and MSM?
They both played their best game Saturday. I don’t wish either ill will I just haven’t enjoyed watching them play the past two years. 2 looks like he did suffer in KC’s absence; 55 will likely have moments of struggle but we are seeing more of 45 which I enjoy.

Penn St fans and Ohio state fans have taken notice of us .. we are legit .. enjoy the fucking ride
Yep. PSU homers who were complaining about the Gophers for the White-Out Game have flipped completely.

Champions have to earn the spot. We'll see if the Gophers are up to it.

I think they are. Ski-U-Mah...

Yeah I see that too. Yes he did inherit a 9 win team. But had a coaching change never have happened who knows when another 9 win season would have occurred. I think we all expected regression regardless. Fleck has the program at a point where 9 wins is where the bar is basically set every year, and I don’t foresee anything less in the near future at this point.
PJ inherited the hollowed out shell of what in the prior year had been a 9 win team. He had to ask a walk-on QB to stay another year because of how bare the cupboard was at that position. The most important position.

What does this mean?

PJ inherited the hollowed out shell of what in the prior year had been a 9 win team. He had to ask a walk-on QB to stay another year because of how bare the cupboard was at that position. The most important position.
This is also because he didn't want to run read option as his primary offense. The scholarship qbs weren't set up for what he wanted to run (Croft, Green, McLaurin)

They both played their best game Saturday. I don’t wish either ill will I just haven’t enjoyed watching them play the past two years. 2 looks like he did suffer in KC’s absence; 55 will likely have moments of struggle but we are seeing more of 45 which I enjoy.
I will never understand your dislike for MSM. He is the unquestioned leader of what has been a phenomenal defense and has been playing really well for quite a while now. He had some struggles early in his career but he has developed into a really solid college LB on the field and brings a ton of intangibles to the D with his leadership both on and off the field.

What does this mean?
This year feels different. In years past he would have run the ball up the middle 60 times the first two games. This year, looked like we ran an actual offense and worked on things during those games. He’s really talked up this teams’ potential and yes he has a bunch of super seniors that he brought back. I think he’s really targeted this year as the one that could be super special.

Top Bottom