Tailgating

maroonfive

Reaction score
I am all for gameday atmosphere but one thing I will never get is tailgaiting. I am the biggest Gopher fan there is. I have season tickets, I am the first to stand and cheer in my section and I don't need a sign telling to me to do so, and I stay until the end of the game.
Maybe because I am not an alcoholic but I don't get tailgaiting. I would rather eat at a restaurant before or after the game and get there about a half hour before the game. If I had to stand around with a beer in my hand and make chit chat while I watch someone throw a bean bag into a hole I would be bored to death. Just my opinion.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I couldn't play bags and giant Jenga while enjoying freshly-grilled food and a beer in the parking lot before the game, I'd feel like I was missing something of the game day experience. I'd be bored to death if I went to a restaurant before the game with all the blue hairs.

Different strokes for different folks.

I am all for gameday atmosphere but one thing I will never get is tailgaiting. I am the biggest Gopher fan there is. I have season tickets, I am the first to stand and cheer in my section and I don't need a sign telling to me to do so, and I stay until the end of the game.
Maybe because I am not an alcoholic but I don't get tailgaiting. I would rather eat at a restaurant before or after the game and get there about a half hour before the game. If I had to stand around with a beer in my hand and make chit chat while I watch someone throw a bean bag into a hole I would be bored to death. Just my opinion.

Are you suggesting that everyone who tailgates is an alcoholic, you don't have do drink alcohol to enjoy tailgating. I think you are assuming to much into this about people who love this event on gameday.

Have you ever tailgated?

How about a party? Would you consider that a bunch of drunks standing around?

Are you suggesting that everyone who tailgates is an alcoholic, you don't have do drink alcohol to enjoy tailgating. I think you are assuming to much into this about people who love this event on gameday.

+1. Several of my group had other obligations post-game so we had a mostly sober tailgate and it was a great time. I'd still rather have a few beers before the game, but nonetheless, tailgating is mostly about good food and atmosphere.

Hmmmmmnnnnn.....

Good question.

Made me think of what's the definition of "to tailgate..."

I googled the definition of the term and came up with several hits...all with the same listing as Answers.com:

2.To participate in a picnic that is served from the tailgate of a vehicle, as before a sports event.

AskMen.com elaborated further:

the tailgate - a definition
Revolving around the big professional, college or even high school football game, a tailgate party is a supercharged, urban picnic.

The key term is "picnic" (my emphasis), which is in itself a "special" kind of event...not just lunch or dinner outside...but a planned meal that typically has some kind of meaning, often romantic back in the day...

So, I guess you enjoy "dining in" more than the "picnic" experience so deeply desired by many, many people on Saturday afternoons in the fall.

All we're missing is Yogi and Boo Boo I guess at our tailgaters!

Go Gophers! Beat the Boilers & Let's Have a Brat!:p

Wow - I couldn't be more in disagreement with this. If it weren't for tailgating, Gopher games wouldn't be fun, period. Even take the alcohol out of it - it's my chance to see my Gopher Football friends that I typically don't get to see much in the year. I actually enjoy conversation and socializing though. I don't look at it as making chit chat - I like talking about football, the Gophers, and anything else going on in my friend's lives. I've actually met some great friends in the tailgate lot. I remember, it was about a month after I met Godly's Army and Goldy's Army Sr. that I traveled with them to the Florida State bball game. We've been very close ever since.

To me, the idea of cramming into a busy bar, shoving some food in my mouth, and going to see the Gophers lose every week is not a fun experience. And I think that's absolutely why our gameday experience at MN is so poor, because of lack of tailgating (amongst other things, but that's the #1 reason). If they made it more feasible for the average fan to tailgate, they would go for the entire experience, rather than just dropping like flies when we start losing.

I actually had a friend from WI this weekend come with us to the tailgate we attend in Madison. She had never done a tailgate there, and couldn't believe how many great fans she met, and how much more fun it was that spending a ton of money at the bar, and being packed in.

If I couldn't play bags and giant Jenga while enjoying freshly-grilled food and a beer in the parking lot before the game, I'd feel like I was missing something of the game day experience. I'd be bored to death if I went to a restaurant before the game with all the blue hairs.

I saw giant jenga for the first time Saturday. Where do you get that?

I saw giant jenga for the first time Saturday. Where do you get that?

We made it ourselves. About 60 blocks of 2x4s cut to a length a little less than 12" and a plywood frame.

I Feel Sorry For You

Could be the one of the most ignorant takes I've read on here in quite a while.

Yes, tailgating is so disagreeable and devoid of fun and adding any contribution to the gameday atmosphere you're "all for", it is why it such an unpopular and unpracticed activity across America on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will assume you're trying to be funny (or tugging hard on the collective "chain") - and won't comment any further or rise again to the bait as a result.

do you tailgate in the fairgrounds lot? i think my brother and his girlfriend went over and played jenga with you guys during the USC game. if you are in the same lot we are the ones next to the guys that have that 15x15 foot "M" flag, and we have the pole with two flags next to them.

do you tailgate in the fairgrounds lot? i think my brother and his girlfriend went over and played jenga with you guys during the USC game. if you are in the same lot we are the ones next to the guys that have that 15x15 foot "M" flag, and we have the pole with two flags next to them.

Yep, that's us.

You are sooooo wrong about the tailgating. Around the stadium there is seldom any people drinking to excess. In fact I bring my kids and there are several other kids there as well. I, for one, can not even imagine going to a game without tailgating. It is all about the food and talking football with other fans who really care.

Although that bag game has just about run its course. That's pretty tired.

What are you talking about? How does a game "run its course"? I'm guessing it's doing fine since about 1/2 the tailgators in my lot are playing it.

Certainly respect opinions. You can have a blast tailgating without any booze and if all you get out of the interaction is chit chat and watching bean bags, then a restaurant is the place for you. Yikes!

Well I know a lot of people that disagree. Sitting in a cramp restaurant and blowing large amounts of cash doesn't sound like much fun to me. I'm guessing you just don't like talking with your friends so standing in a loud restaurant ignoring them works for you.

The only time the tailgate lot will be full of drunks is when the IA fans show up on Nov. 27th.

Tough to toss a football around in a bar. Playing games, tossing a football, and grilling is what makes tailgating great. Not to mention, you don't have to wait in line for a drink, just open your cooler. I even have my own TV to watch pregame stuff.

Honestly, I still get pretty excited for Gopher football gamedays. The time I spend in the tailgate lot with friends overcomes the poor results on the football field.

People that tailgate like to stand.
People that go to a restaurant like to sit.

We all know how that argument goes.

Seriously I was joking !!!!

I was trying to post something other than fire Brewster. I love tailgaiting and I hopefully we can eventually be on par with our rivals.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not fake your own death? People always love that one.

Top Bottom