T Johnson

He would be the 5th option on the Vikings at best. And honestly there are players on the roster (O. Johnson and Chisena) that have more value than TJ.
For some reason off the top of my head the Vikings don’t strike me as especially overloaded with talent.

For some reason off the top of my head the Vikings don’t strike me as especially overloaded with talent.
Jefferson should have set the rookie receiving record last year. Theilen was still a top-tier threat. The depth behind those two was solid.

Johnson wouldn't be a good addition to the Vikings roster and I'm sure he would be a massive distraction given his, "I'm a God in Minneapolis" Instagram post last year. Like anyone in Tampa cares about his high school basketball career.

Jefferson should have set the rookie receiving record last year. Theilen was still a top-tier threat. The depth behind those two was solid.

Johnson wouldn't be a good addition to the Vikings roster and I'm sure he would be a massive distraction given his, "I'm a God in Minneapolis" Instagram post last year. Like anyone in Tampa cares about his high school basketball career.
You think KJ Osborn is better that Johnson? I don't get your "massive distraction" comment.

Yes.

Tyler Johnson had a post on IG last year in which he said, "I'm a god." He's a headcase.
Maybe, choosing to stubbornly get his degree and deciding turning pro can wait tells me that he has some decent qualities. Inflated ego? Maybe, but not the worst example. There are many pros I'd question more than him.

And yes I love me some me T.J.

You think KJ Osborn is better that Johnson? I don't get your "massive distraction" comment.
I'd take TJ, but I think KJ Osborn is better than him. I actually think Osborn is a borderline #2. But I'd rather have TJ than Chad Beebe, Dan Chisena, Blake Proehl, or Bisi Johnson.

I'd take TJ, but I think KJ Osborn is better than him. I actually think Osborn is a borderline #2. But I'd rather have TJ than Chad Beebe, Dan Chisena, Blake Proehl, or Bisi Johnson.
Glad I re-read your post. I thought I saw Don Beebe instead of Chad Beebe. lol IMHO either of the receivers you mentioned would work if whoever the QB is hast time. Especially since there is already a deep ball threat.

I would take TJ. It is interesting because their college stats aren't even close and Osborn was drafted after Johnson. Osborn also only did special teams in 2020. Johnson has a higher target/catch % as well. TJ is on a team that had a TE with 55 catches, and a RB with 84 catches.

Watching Tampa and Tom Brady, Tom often seemed frustrated with TJ on any incompletion.

There might be a lack of understanding on how to run those type of routes and I could see Tom pushing for a stronger option.
It is now being reported that Brady personally called Gage on the first day of free agency. So yea…Tom was pushing for a stronger option.

TJ would get picked up by another team if he is cut by Tampa Bay.

Agree unless maybe Chisena on special teams is his extra value the other poster was talking about.

Agree unless maybe Chisena on special teams is his extra value the other poster was talking about.
Yeah, this is true. Your value as a 4th/5th WR definitely drops if you don't play special teams. Nowadays, you can pretty much avoid returns (kickoffs and directional punting has gotten so good), I'm wondering if eventually we'll see fewer special teams guys.

I would take TJ. It is interesting because their college stats aren't even close and Osborn was drafted after Johnson. Osborn also only did special teams in 2020. Johnson has a higher target/catch % as well. TJ is on a team that had a TE with 55 catches, and a RB with 84 catches.

Osborne is significantly better than TJ. The numbers each of them put up speak for themselves.

When did TJ catch the dropalitis disease? Wasn't he a lot more sure-handed in college?

He made some really spectacular catches but also some shocking drops.
Do the Gophers have pass-catching drills where they throw the football at different velocities and angles? Didn't they also have sudden acceleration sudden and deceleration drills to teach wide receivers to throw off DBs out of their coverages and create separation? I thought Rashod Bateman also had balls thrown at him hard to strengthen his hand grips.

Pass catching is very important for players who want to remain on a Pro roster. Release and route running to cause separation is another major deal. These are the differentiators between a good and a great Wide receiver.

Amari Cooper is a good case study.

Here is a good video about Amari Cooper on the art of release and route running.

Click on "Watch on Youtube".

Last edited:

Do the Gophers have pass-catching drills where they throw the football at different velocities and angles? Didn't they also have sudden acceleration sudden and deceleration drills to teach wide receivers to throw off DBs out of their coverages and create separation? I thought Rashod Bateman also had balls thrown at him hard to strengthen his hand grips.
From the Dylan thread:
1647826118303.jpeg

TJ would get picked up by another team if he is cut by Tampa Bay.
Yes, there are many teams looking for a former 5th round WR prospect with below average speed, the dropsies, and who doesn’t play special teams.

He made some really spectacular catches but also some shocking drops.
Still haunted by that drop in 2019 against Iowa in Iowa City - would have probably secured the B1G West title, a berth in the B1G championship game and likely a trip to the Rose Bowl (although the resulting Outback Bowl was great)

Still haunted by that drop in 2019 against Iowa in Iowa City - would have probably secured the B1G West title, a berth in the B1G championship game and likely a trip to the Rose Bowl (although the resulting Outback Bowl was great)
And without that drop he wouldn't have made that insane one hand, one footer in the back of the end zone in the Outback. With the sour comes the sweet, I guess.

Yes, there are many teams looking for a former 5th round WR prospect with below average speed, the dropsies, and who doesn’t play special teams.
Right. Huge market. Brady thought so much of TJ that he called WR Russell Gage from the Falcons to court him directly to come and sign with the Bucs. So if the drop issue has been debunked, what are the other reasons he's having a hard time seeing the field in TB?

What ever TJ's problems are with Brady, there are teams, in need of a 3rd wide receiver option. If they can't fill that need in the draft a trade would be possible for a mid round draft pick. Absent a trade if he's cut some team will pick him up.

Right. Huge market. Brady thought so much of TJ that he called WR Russell Gage from the Falcons to court him directly to come and sign with the Bucs. So if the drop issue has been debunked, what are the other reasons he's having a hard time seeing the field in TB?
He saw the field plenty, just didn't get many targets. Brady had Gronk and Fournette account for 173 targets last year. The backup TE had 57 targets. I believe TJ is in the wrong place.

He saw the field plenty, just didn't get many targets. Brady had Gronk and Fournette account for 173 targets last year. The backup TE had 57 targets. I believe TJ is in the wrong place.
I would agree that a change of scenery would probably do TJ a lot of good. I would imagine Brady is someone where it would be tough to regain his confidence after a few drops or missed/incorrect routes, being in the wrong place, etc.

It would be great if he ended up in a different situation where he could get different opportunities, different offense, different QB.

I would agree that a change of scenery would probably do TJ a lot of good. I would imagine Brady is someone where it would be tough to regain his confidence after a few drops or missed/incorrect routes, being in the wrong place, etc.

It would be great if he ended up in a different situation where he could get different opportunities, different offense, different QB.
Gronk had a lower catch %.

Top Bottom