T Johnson

Fournette just missed a month too, meaning TJ was only behind Evans and Gronk.

At best...the third option. Tampa still throw screens to Bernard and Vaughn. Breshad Perriman, who's a experienced veteran chewed up some plays. In three of those four games.....the Bucs got large leads. In two Panthers games.....they won 32-6 and 41-17. Not exactly sure how that affected their passing game.

Not exactly sure what the deal is here. I'm not trying to argue that TJ is going to emerge as an allstar or anything. Just pointing out that he's had a logjam in front of him for the majority of his two years so far....and hasn't started either season on the radar. I'd like to see if he gets the chance going into training camp to play a significant role. To take snaps with the first team and see if he can build a rapport with Brady or whoever the QB is. The Gopher fans who seem to be on a mission to shit on him are awfully confusing.

PFF has him 117 out of 125 graded wide receivers. He'll be lucky to make a practice squad after next season. If Godwin moves on then they will find another option to replace him because Johnson failed his tryout.

You'd be laughed out of a coaching room if your judgements were based solely on PFF rankings.

Patently false. TJ was buried behind three all-pro receivers for most of his career so far. Bucs aren't moving on yet. With Brown gone....and probably without the ability to resign Godwin....TJ will get first team reps starting next year. That will likely be his make or break season.
You'd think Gopher fans would learn not to bet against this guy.

You'd be laughed out of a coaching room if your judgements were based solely on PFF rankings.
I think PFF analytics are a little more advanced than your "He played for the Gophers!"

As far as getting laughed out of the coaches room for leveraging PFF. I'll leave this here from their site:

PFF Team Services (Teams, Media, Agents)

2019 was another banner year at PFF. PFF now works with all 32 NFL teams and a rapidly growing 80+ FBS team clients to gain an edge in their weekly preparation. The typical client reports that our service gives them up to a full day head start on their weekly breakdown and scouting processes. Now over 75% of Power 5 teams are clients.

I think PFF analytics are a little more advanced than your "He played for the Gophers!"

As far as getting laughed out of the coaches room for leveraging PFF. I'll leave this here from their site:

2019 was another banner year at PFF. PFF now works with all 32 NFL teams and a rapidly growing 80+ FBS team clients to gain an edge in their weekly preparation. The typical client reports that our service gives them up to a full day head start on their weekly breakdown and scouting processes. Now over 75% of Power 5 teams are clients.

The key word here is "preparation". Coaching staffs have a hell of a lot more information about a player than some numbers. So yeah.....I think PFF's numbers wouldn't be a sole cause for personnel decisions being made. To say otherwise is hilarious.

That would be a great sign except that Tyler Johnson was the #2 WR on that roster for the last month of the season. He wasn't the "third option" on that offense. He was supposed to be their possession receiver.
You don't think injuries happened to those other teams where their #3s were never #2s? You've already erroneously talked about his catch% like it was abnormally bad for a guy in his position. You seem to be really dug on him being uniquely bad.

But we agree that Brady does not typically feed the #3 and #4 WR like you had implied?

I don't think Tyler had a good season and I think he'll be in a dog fight for a roster spot next year but I don't think it requires re-writing history to make that point.

I actually like PFF but I think that some of the push back against the grading is more how people use it in conversations. They are a subjective analysis that people utilize to make absolute conclusions. It's almost like having an economic debate and then someone brings up some econ article. It feels a little like going to "IamRight.com" and acting like the discussion is over. I'm not saying that's how you're using it here

TJ lacks speed at the NFL level. I haven’t watched a ton of Tampa games but when I do, it doesn’t seem like he gets much separation and isn’t open down field that often.

Not being lightening fast and not creating miles of separation isn’t the end of the world. There are plenty of good/great receivers that carve out a niche going over the middle and mastering route running to move the sticks. BUT… if you are a receiver that lives in that realm, DO NOT drop the ball.

This is where I see TJ’s problem. He is still dropping the occasional ball, and is not getting open downfield. That is going to limit his value, and make him look like a lot of other young receivers that reach the NFL but fail to last there. Hopefully he does find his niche.

At best...the third option. Tampa still throw screens to Bernard and Vaughn. Breshad Perriman, who's a experienced veteran chewed up some plays. In three of those four games.....the Bucs got large leads. In two Panthers games.....they won 32-6 and 41-17. Not exactly sure how that affected their passing game.

Not exactly sure what the deal is here. I'm not trying to argue that TJ is going to emerge as an allstar or anything. Just pointing out that he's had a logjam in front of him for the majority of his two years so far....and hasn't started either season on the radar. I'd like to see if he gets the chance going into training camp to play a significant role. To take snaps with the first team and see if he can build a rapport with Brady or whoever the QB is. The Gopher fans who seem to be on a mission to shit on him are awfully confusing.

For me, it's just frustration. I agree that TJ was buried last season, but when he had an opportunity, he flashed some potential.

He's had a significant opportunity this season and hasn't capitalized. He appears to have regressed more than anything. As someone who would love to see him emerge as at least a #2 WR, especially while playing with the GOAT throwing to him, I'm disappointed he hasn't accomplished more. Many of the knocks on him coming out of college have shown up this season. I hope he has a great offseason and comes back better next season.

For me, it's just frustration. I agree that TJ was buried last season, but when he had an opportunity, he flashed some potential.

He's had a significant opportunity this season and hasn't capitalized. He appears to have regressed more than anything. As someone who would love to see him emerge as at least a #2 WR, especially while playing with the GOAT throwing to him, I'm disappointed he hasn't accomplished more. Many of the knocks on him coming out of college have shown up this season. I hope he has a great offseason and comes back better next season.
I remember back when I used to play fantasy football that there was a trend of year 3 being a big one for receivers to hit their stride and start having success. Hopefully that is how it plays out for TJ. He is getting to the tipping point where it will either come together for him or not.

I remember back when I used to play fantasy football that there was a trend of year 3 being a big one for receivers to hit their stride and start having success. Hopefully that is how it plays out for TJ. He is getting to the tipping point where it will either come together for him or not.
Next year he is competing with known performers for playing time. When his rookie deal expires he will also be competing with upside hype of draft picks with new contracts.

You don't think injuries happened to those other teams where their #3s were never #2s? You've already erroneously talked about his catch% like it was abnormally bad for a guy in his position. You seem to be really dug on him being uniquely bad.

But we agree that Brady does not typically feed the #3 and #4 WR like you had implied?

I don't think Tyler had a good season and I think he'll be in a dog fight for a roster spot next year but I don't think it requires re-writing history to make that point.
Even beyond Brady not liking to use his 3 and 4 WR’s is that he seems like he prefers to throw to veterans. I don’t have any empirical evidence beyond eyeballing it but it seems like he isn’t a fan of young receivers.

Even beyond Brady not liking to use his 3 and 4 WR’s is that he seems like he prefers to throw to veterans. I don’t have any empirical evidence beyond eyeballing it but it seems like he isn’t a fan of young receivers.
Vets are more predictable. In general they are also better about running more precise routes and have a deeper understanding of the pro game so understand how to adjust on the fly more quickly than a young receiver would.

Most QBs would probably rather throw to veterans if given the choice over some flashy new comer to the league.

100% agree. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities. And at times he's looked dejected. But....even though I'm looking at this through maroon tinted shades....I really believe TJ is going to get a shot coming into a season here as the #3 guy on the depth chart and will take first teams reps. At that point it will be make or break. I don't think this season was the break point. Despite what a couple posters think....I don't think it as easy to simply step into the position of a Godwin or Brown and not miss a beat.

I will add something positive about TJ, and that is he is very good in space after the catch. His last catch where he was injured, he made two guys miss, broke a tackle before getting crushed by the linebacker. Hope he heals up, trains hard, and has a great season next year.

Big fan of TJ the only negative to me is he simply has some terrible drops and I believe that’s who he is as a receiver,

100% agree. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities. And at times he's looked dejected. But....even though I'm looking at this through maroon tinted shades....I really believe TJ is going to get a shot coming into a season here as the #3 guy on the depth chart and will take first teams reps. At that point it will be make or break. I don't think this season was the break point. Despite what a couple posters think....I don't think it as easy to simply step into the position of a Godwin or Brown and not miss a beat.
The Bucs are signing Russell Gage to be their #3 receiver…assuming Godwin will be healthy.

Tyler will be in a battle to simply make the team.

The Bucs are signing Russell Gage to be their #3 receiver…assuming Godwin will be healthy.

TJ has a Super Bowl ring. If he calls it a career now he has something many Pro Players don't have. I wish him the best in making the team or hooking up with another.

I don't know the pro-game well enough to know the "issue" with Tyler as a receiver. In college ball it would be said that he "does not play to the whistle" with the plays being called by the Bucs. I've watched him both seasons now and whether running a route or blocking he plays to a point and stops. This may be okay for blocking but for actual pass routes this is not good.

On the other side he's got Tom Brady as his QB. Brady knows what he wants in a receiver. Tyler is not going to be his first or even second choice for most plays. Me as a fan tends to think this is a great opportunity for TJ to learn from the best...but what do I know on the field? When Tyler is the target his performance is inconsistent at best. There are reasons for this...very often on Brady...but Tyler is responsible too.

Add to this the talent at receiver the Bucs are fielding anyway. Makes it tough.

Hope he hangs on but it's not coming together yet. Clock is ticking...

He’ll essentially be in the same spot as last year. Replace Antonio Brown with Gage and TJ is at best WR#4. Godwin looks like he may miss significant time to start the season. Which means it’s TJ and Scotty Miller battling for reps at #3 until he comes back.

He’ll essentially be in the same spot as last year. Replace Antonio Brown with Gage and TJ is at best WR#4. Godwin looks like he may miss significant time to start the season. Which means it’s TJ and Scotty Miller battling for reps at #3 until he comes back.
I’m going to predict it now that he doesn’t make it through training camp on the TB roster. Perhaps he gets on a new roster and finds a better fit for himself.

I’m going to predict it now that he doesn’t make it through training camp on the TB roster. Perhaps he gets on a new roster and finds a better fit for himself.

This is my feeling too. I think it's likely TB drafts a WR in the first few rounds as well.

I'm not sure if he makes it through Tampa, as others have said draft picks and I wouldn't be surprised if some veteran WR becomes available, maybe even Cordarrelle Patterson in that slash role.

I do thin TJ gets a shot elsewhere because he does get open. It hurts him that he doesn't do much on special teams

Watching Tampa and Tom Brady, Tom often seemed frustrated with TJ on any incompletion.

There might be a lack of understanding on how to run those type of routes and I could see Tom pushing for a stronger option.

If the Vikings aren’t doing anything anyway, may as well pick up TJ if he comes available.

I'm not sure if he makes it through Tampa, as others have said draft picks and I wouldn't be surprised if some veteran WR becomes available, maybe even Cordarrelle Patterson in that slash role.

I do thin TJ gets a shot elsewhere because he does get open. It hurts him that he doesn't do much on special teams
Catching the ball would be a great start. Way too many drops for the Gophers, way too many drops for Tampa. Kinda important when that's what you're getting paid to do.

I hope he sticks around long enough to at least get his pension. He's almost there.

Anything more than that for him would be gravy, unless he improves.

I don't know the pro-game well enough to know the "issue" with Tyler as a receiver. In college ball it would be said that he "does not play to the whistle" with the plays being called by the Bucs. I've watched him both seasons now and whether running a route or blocking he plays to a point and stops. This may be okay for blocking but for actual pass routes this is not good.

On the other side he's got Tom Brady as his QB. Brady knows what he wants in a receiver. Tyler is not going to be his first or even second choice for most plays. Me as a fan tends to think this is a great opportunity for TJ to learn from the best...but what do I know on the field? When Tyler is the target his performance is inconsistent at best. There are reasons for this...very often on Brady...but Tyler is responsible too.

Add to this the talent at receiver the Bucs are fielding anyway. Makes it tough.

Hope he hangs on but it's not coming together yet. Clock is ticking...
Brady doesn't just pick a receiver he wants to throw to. He picks the guy who has favorable coverage. I recall at least two games this past season where Brady's first pass of his first possession went to Tyler.

If the Vikings aren’t doing anything anyway, may as well pick up TJ if he comes available.
He would be the 5th option on the Vikings at best. And honestly there are players on the roster (O. Johnson and Chisena) that have more value than TJ.

Top Bottom