T Johnson

Patently false. TJ was buried behind three all-pro receivers for most of his career so far. Bucs aren't moving on yet. With Brown gone....and probably without the ability to resign Godwin....TJ will get first team reps starting next year. That will likely be his make or break season.
Johnson played 612 snaps this year. That's more than any receiver on the Bucs roster not named Evans or Godwin. He played more snaps than Brown, Perriman, and Miller, combined. He was also the only receiver with more than 100 snaps that didn't score a touchdown. He was hot garbage.

Johnson played 612 snaps this year. That's more than any receiver on the Bucs roster not named Evans or Godwin. He played more snaps than Brown, Perriman, and Miller, combined. He was also the only receiver with more than 100 snaps that didn't score a touchdown. He was hot garbage.
A good WR is measured by snaps played to TDs scored? First I've heard of that stat...
I'm not a "stat that" guy, but I feel like there's more to a WR than that.

He was in specifically to block on a lot of those snaps. And when exactly did he start taking first team snaps. Certainly not when Evans, Godwin, and Brown were all playing. He was thrust into the role. Your analysis of the situation is hot garbage.

Last edited:

He was in specifically to block on a lot of those snaps. And when exactly did he start taking first team snaps. Certainly not when Evans, Godwin, and Brown were all playing. He was trust into the role. Your analysis of the situation is hot garbage.
He wasn't "trust into the role" (sic). He was the only slot receiver behind Godwin. He played over 50% of the snaps in nine games this year. He was in to block on many plays and in others he was the third or fourth option. He was awful in that role. Missed blocks, dropped passes, lazy route running, and mental mistakes to the point that Brady was frequently yelling at him. He was bad and he's not going to last in the NFL as anything beyond a depth player.

Brady is known for throwing to his third or fouth option if he has a mismatch. He still didn't go to TJ. Brady would have thrown to him all day long after Godwin went down if Johnson didn't drop 40% of the passes that came his way.

He wasn't "trust into the role" (sic). He was the only slot receiver behind Godwin. He played over 50% of the snaps in nine games this year. He was in to block on many plays and in others he was the third or fourth option. He was awful in that role. Missed blocks, dropped passes, lazy route running, and mental mistakes to the point that Brady was frequently yelling at him. He was bad and he's not going to last in the NFL as anything beyond a depth player.

Brady is known for throwing to his third or fouth option if he has a mismatch. He still didn't go to TJ. Brady would have thrown to him all day long after Godwin went down if Johnson didn't drop 40% of the passes that came his way.
40% drops....think you might be exaggerating just a smidge here. According to the official stats he was targeted 64 times in the regular season and post season combined this year. He had a total of 5 drops (4 regular season, 1 playoffs). That would be 8%.

He has lots of room for improvement and isn't a sure thing to stick in the NFL but not sure why you feel the need to try and make him seem way worse than he was. He was good enough that they started him in the playoffs over the other receivers left on the roster.

Dont even bother. Theres some on here that cant accept reality and you will be tagged as a hater for actually being objective. Bucs were down top 2 receivers and TJ was still the 4th/5th option. TJ was a great college player, just not going to be great pro.

Would you rather play 2 years and win a Super Bowl, or play 5 years and never make the Playoffs?

I really hope he makes it through one more season, at the very least. I believe they qualify for the NFL pension after 3 full seasons.

40% drops....think you might be exaggerating just a smidge here. According to the official stats he was targeted 64 times in the regular season and post season combined this year. He had a total of 5 drops (4 regular season, 1 playoffs). That would be 8%.

He has lots of room for improvement and isn't a sure thing to stick in the NFL but not sure why you feel the need to try and make him seem way worse than he was. He was good enough that they started him in the playoffs over the other receivers left on the roster.
I watched every Bucs game. Five drops for the season would not be accurate, at least in the way QBs, coaches and good receivers would see it. He dropped a fair number of tough catches. Official stats guys might not call all those drops but guys on the team count on their receivers to make difficult catches.

And that is what has surprised me the most. I have been expecting for two years to see the spectacular catches like the TJ in maroon and gold gave us. This year I saw TJ make a total of one really great catch along with too many getting away. And he did seem to run routes that earned the Brady stare and there was the time he started in motion incorrectly and Tom stepped back from center to give him a stop sign to save a penalty for two men moving.

Would you rather play 2 years and win a Super Bowl, or play 5 years and never make the Playoffs?

I really hope he makes it through one more season, at the very least. I believe they qualify for the NFL pension after 3 full seasons.
Most guys would rather play five years and be a major contributor.

First off, let me say that TJ wasn't great this year.

Second, TJ was never a 3rd or 4th option. Goodwin, Brown (when he was there), Evans, Gronk, and Fournette were OBVIOUSLY higher priority than him. When Fournette was out, so was Giovanni Bernard. Implying that someone was 3rd/4th on the depth chart at WR and therefore was 3rd or 4th option for Brady is just not realizing that while Tom spreads the ball around, he does it to multiple positions. The 3rd and 4th WRs that have played with Brady have always put up really low numbers. Here is a break down:

Third, TJ's stats were inline for just about every 3rd or 4th WR on the depth chart in Tom's career. I'm just going to start in 2010.
2010:
3rd WR: Brandon Tate 24 catches 432 yards (catch % of 52.2)
4th WR: Randy Moss 9 catches 139 yards (catch % 40.9)
2011:
3rd WR: Chad Johnson 15 catches 276 yards (catch% of 46.9)
4th WR: Julian Edelman 4 catches 34 yards (catch% of 44.4)
3rd WR: Julian Edelman: 21 catches 235 yards (catch % of 65.6)
4th WR: Deion Branch: 16 catches for 145 yards (catch % of 55.2)
3rd WR: Chris Hogan: 35 catches 532 yards (catch % of 63.6)
4th WR: Phil Dorsett: 32 catches 290 yards (catch % of 73.2)
3rd WR: Mohammed Sanu: 26 catches 207 yards (catch % of 55.3)
4th WR: Josh Gordon: 20 catches 287 yards (catch % of 55.6)

Tyler Johnson: 36 catches 360 yards and (catch % of 65.5)

Tom Brady used Tyler Johnson about as much as he typically uses the 3rd or 4th WR on the depth chart. Tyler Johnson caught the ball at a better rate than most of those guys throughout Brady's career.

Gronk has sucked up a lot of those third/fourth option throws.

Last edited:

I watched every Bucs game. Five drops for the season would not be accurate, at least in the way QBs, coaches and good receivers would see it. He dropped a fair number of tough catches. Official stats guys might not call all those drops but guys on the team count on their receivers to make difficult catches.

And that is what has surprised me the most. I have been expecting for two years to see the spectacular catches like the TJ in maroon and gold gave us. This year I saw TJ make a total of one really great catch along with too many getting away. And he did seem to run routes that earned the Brady stare and there was the time he started in motion incorrectly and Tom stepped back from center to give him a stop sign to save a penalty for two men moving.
That is unfortunate to hear. I only saw a few Bucs games so didn't really get to see a ton of his snaps.

Think he has enough talent to hopefully stay in the league but pretty clear he has some work to do if he wants to make his career last. NFL is a cutthroat business.

He was in to block on many plays earlier in the year. Some games wasn't even targeted as Brady threw primarily to Gronk and Evans. Sure, TJ made some mistakes, but you are WAY over emphasizing them. The fact that you claim he drops 40% of his passes simply proves what a clown you are.

TJ will likely start next year with both Brown and Godwin gone. He'll be taking first team snaps assuming that nothing else changes.

He was in to block on many plays earlier in the year. Some games wasn't even targeted as Brady threw primarily to Gronk and Evans. Sure, TJ made some mistakes, but you are WAY over emphasizing them. The fact that you claim he drops 40% of his passes simply proves what a clown you are.

TJ will likely start next year with both Brown and Godwin gone. He'll be taking first team snaps assuming that nothing else changes.

There is a 0% chance the Bucs go into next season with TJ as the planned #2 WR. He was the #2 WR for most of the last 5 games and averaged 32 yards per game. Being young has nothing to do with it as a long of young WRs come into the league and make an immediate impact.

The fact that he was asked to block most of the time rather than catch the ball tells you all you need to know.

He was already a starter. He's not 'starting' for the first time next year. He was Brady's WR2 as soon as Godwin went down. I would be shocked if they don't find another option in the slot next year and let Johnson's contract run out after that.

I love TJ and can't say I watched all the Bucs games this year but the magnifying glass is turned up on the playoffs, and TJ did not look good in the Bucs two playoff games. Fairly or not, that is the perception that people will be left with as he goes into the offseason.

I just want to clarify something. So when a Gopher receiver fails to make a tough catch, it's Tanner Morgan's fault? But when Tom Brady makes a bad throw it's Tyler Johnson's fault?

Didn't see much of TJ this year. However, when I did, I too saw the glares, finger pointing etc. Hard to believe that TJ isn't running his routes right etc. Hopefully he'll get his act together and do a better job in the off season with the coaches or somebody if it indeed TJ's fault. Brady isn't going to admit to anything that he did wrong. NFL is indeed a cutthroat business. Being a nice guy doesn't always accelerate your career.

I assume you looked at his target vs catches here? TJ caught passes 65% of the time when targeted. He was second in that category for WRs. Fournette was the best on the team followed by Godwin. Gronk caught passes 61% of the time when targeted.

Last edited:

I just want to clarify something. So when a Gopher receiver fails to make a tough catch, it's Tanner Morgan's fault? But when Tom Brady makes a bad throw it's Tyler Johnson's fault?
If that's what you think, run with it.

Dont even bother. Theres some on here that cant accept reality and you will be tagged as a hater for actually being objective. Bucs were down top 2 receivers and TJ was still the 4th/5th option. TJ was a great college player, just not going to be great pro.
Most GB fans said the same thing about Davante Adams in his first 2 years. He was ok.

There is a 0% chance the Bucs go into next season with TJ as the planned #2 WR. He was the #2 WR for most of the last 5 games and averaged 32 yards per game. Being young has nothing to do with it as a long of young WRs come into the league and make an immediate impact.

The fact that he was asked to block most of the time rather than catch the ball tells you all you need to know.

Never said they'd go into next season with him as the #2 receiver. And as Bob pointed out....even with Godwin and Brown out....TJ was still AT BEST the third option behind Evans, Fournett, and Gronk.

He was already a starter. He's not 'starting' for the first time next year. He was Brady's WR2 as soon as Godwin went down. I would be shocked if they don't find another option in the slot next year and let Johnson's contract run out after that.

He has never gone into the season as a starter. What....he got to start taking snaps with the first team offense halfway through the year? Damn. How didn't he immediately start making a huge impact with that kind of lead-in time? With Brown gone and Godwin likely to get a big contract somewhere....I'll reserve judgement. You can continue with the trollish kneejerk reactions.

Didn't see much of TJ this year. However, when I did, I too saw the glares, finger pointing etc. Hard to believe that TJ isn't running his routes right etc. Hopefully he'll get his act together and do a better job in the off season with the coaches or somebody if it indeed TJ's fault. Brady isn't going to admit to anything that he did wrong. NFL is indeed a cutthroat business. Being a nice guy doesn't always accelerate your career.
Brady makes some less than perfect throws. But he doesn't make mistakes on how the route is designed. His typical "bad" throw is put where a covered receiver is the only one that has a chance to catch it. These balls are in the category of tough but catchable.

Never said they'd go into next season with him as the #2 receiver. And as Bob pointed out....even with Godwin and Brown out....TJ was still AT BEST the third option behind Evans, Fournett, and Gronk.

He has never gone into the season as a starter. What....he got to start taking snaps with the first team offense halfway through the year? Damn. How didn't he immediately start making a huge impact with that kind of lead-in time? With Brown gone and Godwin likely to get a big contract somewhere....I'll reserve judgement. You can continue with the trollish kneejerk reactions.

Fournette just missed a month too, meaning TJ was only behind Evans and Gronk.

I may be mistaken, but as a casual observer, it often looked to me that Brady has a tendency to pay less attention to "more open", although not his favorite targets and instead force passes to Gronk or Evans, often in double or more coverage....

With Brown gone and Godwin likely to get a big contract somewhere....
PFF has him 117 out of 125 graded wide receivers. He'll be lucky to make a practice squad after next season. If Godwin moves on then they will find another option to replace him because Johnson failed his tryout.

Last edited:

Tom Brady used Tyler Johnson about as much as he typically uses the 3rd or 4th WR on the depth chart. Tyler Johnson caught the ball at a better rate than most of those guys throughout Brady's career.
That would be a great sign except that Tyler Johnson was the #2 WR on that roster for the last month of the season. He wasn't the "third option" on that offense. He was supposed to be their possession receiver.

Top Bottom