Syracuse fans reacting to Minnesota fans reacting to playing Syracuse

NYC is #2 for Big Ten alumni, only behind Chicago. DC and MSP are close for #3 (hence Maryland in the Big Ten). Having BTN in NYC & DC are no-brainers.

Wonder why they don't have a bowl in Washington DC? It's another one-of-a-kind tourist town.

Tennessee has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the Lower 48 and has for several years running, yet I didn't hear anyone nervous about going to Nashville for the Music City Bowl.

The crime rate in Mayo-bowl-hosting Charlotte is substantially higher than NYC but nobody was sweating Charlotte, were they?

People really need to look at data and not a giant national campaign on one side to discredit a certain type of large cities in America.

New York's great. Syracuse is a fine opponent no different from NC State or Kentucky or Duke or whatever else. It's cold and that sucks for Minnesotans looking for a winter break.

It's a bowl game. The team should have a fun time and are highly unlikely to run into problems. Same goes for the fans. But a certain segment (not you) of people see NYC and have no choice but to politicize it....because outrage runs their lives.

I think both team's fans' assessments of these two teams would be more credible after the game.

This keeps coming up. The Big Ten didn't think it would bring the entire base of NYC college football fans and viewers to the Big Ten or even to Rutgers. They planned on getting the BTN on the local cable and satellite servers out there.

That it did.

Though can't really speak to Rutgers hopes and dreams.
I'm sure that was "good enough", but they had much bigger dreams than that.

I wouldn't say that. It has a 13-10 vibe all over it.

I don't know about that. Syracuse would have the 13th worse defense in the BG10 according to Massey (though Nebraska's mediocre defense played MN well until AK came in). I suppose it largely depends too on what players might opt out.

I don't know about that. Syracuse would have the 13th worse defense in the BG10 according to Massey (though Nebraska's mediocre defense played MN well until AK came in). I suppose it largely depends too on what players might opt out.
Bowl games are always so hard to predict. There's also the rustiness factor of not having played a game for a few weeks.

Playing in Detroit against GT in 2018 ended up as Mo's coming out party where we were the 6-6 team that just barely made it bowling.

I think most GHer's would see it as a springboard performance going into the ever increasingly historic 2019 run.

This time we're the 8-4 team at the bottom of the bowl pecking order...again. Unlike last year where there were questions around West Virginny's motivation level going in, hopefully both teams see opportunity with this contest going into 2023. Lord knows with our schedule next year, anything that rolls forward will be needed.

It would be great to see this as Athan's coming out party for this one. That would be fun.

Last edited:

Wonder why they don't have a bowl in Washington DC? It's another one-of-a-kind tourist town.
Because it would take days to get the final score and they would drop phantom points to the winning team at 0200 in the morning…

It's a bowl game. The team should have a fun time and are highly unlikely to run into problems. Same goes for the fans. But a certain segment (not you) of people see NYC and have no choice but to politicize it....because outrage runs their lives.

And not just NYC. See a poster's reply to my question of why Washington DC doesn't have a bowl.

Because it would take days to get the final score and they would drop phantom points to the winning team at 0200 in the morning…

Completely inappropriate and misplaced, not at all amusing, and not even reflective of history. Nobody accused Washington DC of anything because nobody cares about them. Everyone knows who will get their 3 electoral votes.

Please explain.

Yes a Conference has to want to play a bowl there, but money is a big reason why a Bowl survives or not.

Could be the most important piece of getting a new Bowl Game is guaranteed money or because small conferences are looking to get an extra school TV exposure. D.C. is a town full of other people's money. A tourist and visitors board ain't gonna do it and there isn't someone and/or company who lives there to come up with the payout money.

The much maligned and rightfully so, Pinstripe Bowl pays out $4.4m, only 150K less than the Sun Bowl and more than 23-24 other bowls. That's gonna get a Conference to send two unhappy teams. That isn't gonna happen at D.C. Or many other places for that matter.

That's probably the main reason the US Bank stadium won't get one on a regular basis either. Not just because of the cold weather making it a rough to get travelers, but it's been awhile since big money locals have thrown their money at the Gophers to help guarantee the payout.

DC had one there for years (the Military/ Eagle Bank Bowl), but they moved it to Annapolis.

Unless it’s a NY6 bowl, it is hard for most cities to sustain the interest necessary to host a game annually.

Tennessee has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the Lower 48 and has for several years running, yet I didn't hear anyone nervous about going to Nashville for the Music City Bowl.

The crime rate in Mayo-bowl-hosting Charlotte is substantially higher than NYC but nobody was sweating Charlotte, were they?

People really need to look at data and not a giant national campaign on one side to discredit a certain type of large cities in America.
Is it reasonable to take from this that NYC has a high crime rate, but Memphis, Nashville and Charlotte are worse? Or that most large cities have high crime rates. I'm not sure how showing us that Memphis, Nashville and Charlotte have lots of crime stops "discrediting . . . large cities"

If the Gophers take this game seriously -- they should win handily. I think they cover that 7 points easily. If they go in saying they should be playing in a better bowl the only way to show they were slighted is to dominate and blow them out. If it's close or heaven forbid lose -- then they were playing in the right bowl all along.

I guess I would rather have them beat Syracuse then get beaten up by someone leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth. For the last play, I want to see QB Tanner Morgan come out in relief in victory formation.

Yes a Conference has to want to play a bowl there, but money is a big reason why a Bowl survives or not.

Could be the most important piece of getting a new Bowl Game is guaranteed money or because small conferences are looking to get an extra school TV exposure. D.C. is a town full of other people's money. A tourist and visitors board ain't gonna do it and there isn't someone and/or company who lives there to come up with the payout money.

The much maligned and rightfully so, Pinstripe Bowl pays out $4.4m, only 150K less than the Sun Bowl and more than 23-24 other bowls. That's gonna get a Conference to send two unhappy teams. That isn't gonna happen at D.C. Or many other places for that matter.

That's probably the main reason the US Bank stadium won't get one on a regular basis either. Not just because of the cold weather making it a rough to get travelers, but it's been awhile since big money locals have thrown their money at the Gophers to help guarantee the payout.

True, but on the other hand the TV contract that the bowl has with ESPN or another channel might be enough to basically pay for the conf payouts. Then tickets sold would just be pure profit after the operating costs for gameday.

16 Fortune 500 companies are located in the DC area.

Completely inappropriate and misplaced, not at all amusing, and not even reflective of history. Nobody accused Washington DC of anything because nobody cares about them. Everyone knows who will get their 3 electoral votes.
Sorry for hurting you

Bowl games are always so hard to predict. There's also the rustiness factor of not having played a game for a few weeks.
If every time the Outback Bowl announcers said "for Auburn it's a business trip" was a drinking game, already a good buzz would be on when the score was 10-10 in the first quarter. Driving not advised after the game was over.

Rustiness, desire, motivation, game planning...all this and more make these unpredictable. It is fun to attend one where the game is competitive across mostly evenly-matched teams and the players actually care. Those can be good times.

From a payout perspective, the Mayo Bowl isn't significantly better than the Pinstripe Bowl. Plus, the winner gets the George Steinbrenner trophy!

I could be dead wrong, but I still think that there will be changes in the bowl structure after the 12-team playoff goes into place.

the playoff games/bowls are going to get even more attention, with less attention to the minor bowls. if there's a first-round or quarter-final round game being played, who's going to pay attention to the "blah blah.com" game.

I could see a few of the minor bowls falling by the wayside.

shoot, I would be fine with a requirement that teams have to have a winning record to qualify for a bowl game - so 7-5 at a minimum. resulting in fewer games, but hopefully a slightly higher quality of games.

^ The biggest thing is going to be the first round. That's #5vs#12, #6vs#11, and so on, and located at the higher seed's home stadium.

So that's four brand new games that appear out of thin air that weren't there before, in late December.

You'd think (at least) four of the lowest bowl games would have to get displaced and/or fall off. But I'm not sure that $$$/TV works that way. We'll see

Top Bottom