Syracuse fans reacting to Minnesota fans reacting to playing Syracuse

Lots of angst on their side... Maybe I'm just young and naive... Did I miss something in the past that might make them hate Minnesota?
They are pounding their chest over the game in 2012.
They don't understand why people from a cold place would want a vacation somewhere cold.
They have taken it as a slight that we didn't want to go to the Pinstripe Bowl.
They got super annoyed that people talked about the human feces in NYC and then went on to talk about how the marijuana smoke covers the urine smell.

The only Syracuse game I watched was vs. Clemson. They had looked like they may be a contender in the ACC at that point, but lost (barely) to Clemson. And that started a five game losing streak, that continued for the rest of the season until the last game of the year.

Their fans have to be similarly disappointed as Gopher fans. Like Minnesota, Syracuse had high hopes in October.
I think Syracuse will absolutely be the best team we play this year other than PSU (maybe Illinois). Their RB, Tucker is a major home run threat and I think they'll probably be favored.

They're kind of a dumb bunch. They seem perplexed why people who live in an extremely cold climate would want to vacation in a warm client.

I dont think anyone in Syracuse doesnt understand that. It's cold here too.

Cuse fans wanted a different venue too. And I think EVERY Cuse fan would have signed up for a warm weather bowl vs the Gophers in a heartbeat. Serious Q. Would MN have been ok w Syracuse in a warm weather bowl of similar stature? I legit an asking, I don't know? Point is, its the venue. Much respect for your team and that running game.

Cuse fans wanted a different venue too. And I think EVERY Cuse fan would have signed up for a warm weather bowl vs the Gophers in a heartbeat. Serious Q. Would MN have been ok w Syracuse in a warm weather bowl of similar stature? I legit an asking, I don't know? Point is, its the venue. Much respect for your team and that running game.
I have no issue with playing Syracuse that about lines up with the caliber of opponent I thought we'd playing.

My first Gopher game ever was Tyrone Carter and Donovan McNabb at the Metrodome, so it's a bit nostalgic for me.

Like 85% the location/venue. Also partly that we’ve played Cuse before, so there’s no newness angle. And, to be frank, we would’ve preferred a “helmet” or SEC school for the bragging rights (if we win). But on that last point, I’m sure Cuse fans would say the same about Minnesota.

I say this as a non-Democrat being Republican most of my life, but the right wing media has these people absolutely delusionally insanely afraid of cities, lol.
This is actually a scathing indictment of our board. :confused:

Like 85% the location/venue. Also partly that we’ve played Cuse before, so there’s no newness angle. And, to be frank, we would’ve preferred a “helmet” or SEC school for the bragging rights (if we win). But on that last point, I’m sure Cuse fans would say the same about Minnesota.
Exactly how I feel. NYC is an awesome city, but perhaps not for an outdoors game in December in a baseball stadium. Prefer an opponent other than Syracuse, but NOT because I think they're beneath in any way -- mostly because we've seen them recently and a win would do little for the team nationally.

This is actually a scathing indictment of our board. :confused:
It's a scatching indictment on New Yorkers too, I guess. Is it the right wing media's fault that people are fleeing New York City? Is it the right wing media's fault that the #1 issue for DEMOCRATS in NYC is crime?

I say this as someone who continues to live in a cities that have these issues. I live in Austin and the people of Austin (far left of Minneapolis) voted to do something about the homelessness because it's a major issue. While this is happening, my liberal friends who have never left Mpls, tell me how the homeless problem in Austin is overblown. Well, it isn't to the people of Austin.

I'm not afraid of New York City. I lived in the Bronx for 7 years in the early 2000s but I can recognize why people wouldn't want to deal with NYC now.. It's real. It's real to the people of New York. The only people it isn't REAL to are liberals but only the ones who live outside the cities in question.

The 'Eers from West Virginny felt the same about us last year but were singing a different tune when the final clock read 00:00.

One more game affords one more opportunity to cheer the Maroon and Gold On To One More Victory...

I lived in 3 different NYC boroughs. I'm in NJ now. NYC doesnt scare me. But I don't view it as an ideal bowl destination in any way. It's cold. There's no tailgating. Sight lines are bad. Its expensive.

Im happy to be in a bowl, and have no prob at all with Minnesota as an opponent (though you are right something different would have been nice). But not in love with the cold weather destination at all.

Let's not hijack this post.

Being able to insult the Syracuse delusional fan base is too good of an opportunity. I heard early odds are Gophers -6.5. I'd like to see us have a little Orange Juice as we stomp on them.

By the way; FreakTalks guy sounds pretty cool. Welcome.

I say this as a non-Democrat being Republican most of my life, but the right wing media has these people absolutely delusionally insanely afraid of cities...
I read this and laughed out loud. They must think that we're all a bunch of corn farmers and fur trappers, with nobody to talk to except rocks and cows. As if most Gopher fans don't live in an large metropolitan area.

Attachments

• 1670251523888.gif
    1670251523888.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 18
  • 1670251523864.gif
    1670251523864.gif
  • 1670251523814.gif
    1670251523814.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 10
  • 1670251523839.gif
    1670251523839.gif

As someone who is a born and bred easterner but has lived in MN for the last 20 years, I would contrast the two climates as follows: upstate NY gets significantly more snow than MN (especially in Syracuse!) but it's much colder here on average. There is no cold in the contiguous USA like the cold in the upper midwest. Much of Alaska and Siberia (like Yakutsk) would be worse. Upper Maine supposedly is pretty bad too but hardly anyone lives there.

Gopher fans who are disappointed by this bowl assignment have different reasons for that feeling but I'll share mine. This was a somewhat disappointing season in general because most of us had higher hopes. Despite that, we had a chance to be ranked in the final poll if we could beat a highly regarded opponent in the bowl game. A win over Florida State (admittedly, that would be a very tough challenge and the odds wouldn't be in our favor) would have had a good chance of getting us there but wins over 8-4 Pitt or NC State might have done it too. I don't think we have a chance with a win over a 7-5 team.

This frustration is heavily compounded by what happened to us last season. We had an 8-4 season and beat 8-4 teams Wisconsin and Purdue and 6-6 Maryland but all of those teams and 7-5 Penn State passed us in bowl assignments. We had a valid claim to being the second best team in our division but we received the lowest Big Ten bowl bid in the conference. We thought we might get a make up call this season but I guess we'll know better in the future.

I lived in 3 different NYC boroughs. I'm in NJ now. NYC doesnt scare me. But I don't view it as an ideal bowl destination in any way. It's cold. There's no tailgating. Sight lines are bad. Its expensive.

Im happy to be in a bowl, and have no prob at all with Minnesota as an opponent (though you are right something different would have been nice). But not in love with the cold weather destination at all.

A lot of people around here wanted the Music City in Nashville. Personally I wasn't all that crazy about that as a visiting destination because it's not much warmer than NYC in late December, lodging is as expensive as NYC at special times and events, it has only one airport, public transportation isn't great, and the bars, clubs, and restaurants would be jam packed on New Year's Eve.

What I liked about the Pinstripe was that you could get in and out of there before the heaviest of the New Year's Eve traffic. I also haven't been to NYC in over 30 years but I loved visiting there in my younger days (it's a one-of-a-kind place) and I wouldn't mind returning.

Last edited:

We actually beat them in 2012, not to mention 1996 and 2009. Syracuse beat us in the 2013 Houston bowl game (Wolitarsky dropped a TD pass late in that game).
1996 baby - they were ranked and we upset them in the dome - Jimmy Wacker baby!! What a genius!! Tyrone Carter coming out party - enjoy

For me the opponent is not a tremendous issue, it is the location, venue and date.
While it would be more exciting to play FSU, UNC, or NCST, I do believe Syracuse will certainly be a better matchup than WVU was last year! The location definitely sucks!!

We will piss pound them if we show up with some desire to play.

Taking all the political stuff out, it's mainly centered on looking at an expensive location, in a cold place, that is too far to drive to and not cheap to fly to.

A Bowl game in Tampa, Nashville, Phoenix, Charlotte or Orlando? The carping around here would be a lot lower.

Trolls aside of course.

Didn't realize Syracuse love five in a row after their 6-0 start. PJ seems to get his guys up for Bowl Games. Even last year when we got passed over by a couple Bowls.. Would have been nice to go to Nashville, but this will probably be closer to road game for us as I would assume NYC has a lot of 'Cuse grads.

Tennessee has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the Lower 48 and has for several years running, yet I didn't hear anyone nervous about going to Nashville for the Music City Bowl.

The crime rate in Mayo-bowl-hosting Charlotte is substantially higher than NYC but nobody was sweating Charlotte, were they?

People really need to look at data and not a giant national campaign on one side to discredit a certain type of large cities in America.

New York's great. Syracuse is a fine opponent no different from NC State or Kentucky or Duke or whatever else. It's cold and that sucks for Minnesotans looking for a winter break.

In theory, a bowl game is supposed to be a reward to a team for a good season. Allowing teams to qualify with a 6-6 record has diluted that sense of a reward.

And, the very term "Bowl Game" conjures up images of parades and events in warm-weather cities -not a game at 11:00am on a Thursday in New York City.

teams in lower-level bowl games - in most cases - did not win as many games as they were hoping for, so there is already a level of disappointment. Add to that a less-than-ideal destination (in terms of weather and outdoor activities) and you can see why both fan bases are less than thrilled.

Purdue wasn't playing nearly as well when we played them. And we were playing a lot better than we did over the second half.

That said, for me, the biggest reason we beat them in the end was that they were one dimensional. Lack of a running game sure, but the fact we could so decisively key on one side of the ball defensively I think helped us (at least till that wild 4th when everyone on both D's was gassed).
How frustrating was this year for you??

Start 6-0. Dino finally did it, broke through (although he did have a one 10 win season a few years ago, 2018 I believe).

Then ..... just collapse.

At least you did not end up 6-6, pull through at BC.

It seems that the Pinstripe Bowl is always played by 2 teams with fanbases that don't want to be at a game in a baseball stadium in New York.
It was born out of the same brain trust that thought adding Rutgers meant adding the entire NYC metro area as Big Ten fanatics.

It was born out of the same brain trust that thought adding Rutgers meant adding the entire NYC metro area as Big Ten fanatics.

This keeps coming up. The Big Ten didn't think it would bring the entire base of NYC college football fans and viewers to the Big Ten or even to Rutgers. They planned on getting the BTN on the local cable and satellite servers out there.

That it did.

Though can't really speak to Rutgers hopes and dreams.

This keeps coming up. The Big Ten didn't think it would bring the entire base of NYC college football fans and viewers to the Big Ten or even to Rutgers. They planned on getting the BTN on the local cable and satellite servers out there.

That it did.

Though can't really speak to Rutgers hopes and dreams.
NYC is #2 for Big Ten alumni, only behind Chicago. DC and MSP are close for #3 (hence Maryland in the Big Ten). Having BTN in NYC & DC are no-brainers.

Top Bottom