Switchng sidelines might not cause the collapse of civilization as we know it

Urbandale

Reaction score
Because I was reminded of the great gnashing of teeth and rending of garments and proclamations of outrage when Fleck hinted that he might switch sidelines:

I was at the Iowa St. / Northern Iowa game last night, and with no advance warning the Cyclones came out on the opposite (west) side of the field so they didn't have to look into the setting sun. I didn't notice season ticket holders on the east side shrieking with anger and shaking their fists in rage.

I also just tuned into the Texas A&M / UCLA game, and the announcers said that Jim Mora had switched sidelines to take advantage of certain sun issues.

Hmmm...maybe it's o.k. to do what's ultimately best for the team.

53moeS1.gif

As far as I am concerned, with the number of empty seats between the 20 yard lines on the south side of the field during the Buffalo game, those ticket holders lost a lot of leverage in my mind. They care what sideline the Gophers are on, but they don't show up for the game anyway? Nuts.

PJF should do what is best for the team, at all times.

Won't the sun be in their eyes if they switch sides. It is the warmer side of the stadium when it's cold though

As far as I am concerned, with the number of empty seats between the 20 yard lines on the south side of the field during the Buffalo game, those ticket holders lost a lot of leverage in my mind. They care what sideline the Gophers are on, but they don't show up for the game anyway? Nuts.

You need to take a head count on the "sunny side" before making that statement. There was an abundance of unused chairs on the north stands as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is crazy to not choose game by game what side you feel gives you an advantage. Any STH who objects to that can not renew. Win-Win.

You need to take a head count on the "sunny side" before making that statement. There was an abundance of unused chairs on the north stands as well...

Yes, I suppose so, but those folks were not in a tizzy when PJF was toying with the idea of using the sideline which had the best weather advantage for a given game day.

I sit on the north side by choice, and it matters to me not one iota if the Gophers are on my sideline. I want them to be on the sideline that gives them the best advantage on the individual game date.

I simply found it odd how outraged some were at the idea.

I'd like to know how many fans actually are upset about this.

If there are more than 10, it's ridiculous.

There were a fair number commenting on it here in earlier threads, and quite a number of adverse comments in the Star Tribune when they ran the story.

There was enough flack that the idea seemed to have been shelved by the athletic department.

I sit on the north side by choice, and it matters to me not one iota if the Gophers are on my sideline. I want them to be on the sideline that gives them the best advantage on the individual game date.

I simply found it odd how outraged some were at the idea.

I completely agree. I pay no attention to which side the players bench is on as my focus is what's happening on the field.

I was at the Iowa St. / Northern Iowa game last night, and with no advance warning the Cyclones came out on the opposite (west) side of the field so they didn't have to look into the setting sun. I didn't notice season ticket holders on the east side shrieking with anger and shaking their fists in rage.

No advanced warning? http://whotv.com/2016/12/01/iowa-state-football-switching-sidelines-in-2017/

Dec. 1, 2016 - Cyclone football season ticket holders will be affected by a major switch up at Jack Trice Stadium. Coach Matt Campbell has requested that the Cyclones switch sidelines, because of “several significant competitive and operational issues.”

Also happened at Missouri and it upset folks. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_b0fd495b-01bd-5c82-80fe-3cc368acd172.html

That being said, I do agree that this is pretty stupid to get upset over. Par for the course I guess, for certain segments of the fan base who get upset when other fans cheer or those who get upset about a new helmet stripe.

Did you mean to say that PJ should do what is best for PJ, at all times?

Par for the course I guess, for certain segments of the fan base who get upset when other fans cheer or those who get upset about a new helmet stripe.

Pretty rich coming from a guy who spends 90% of his posts defending each and every single comment that could somehow, someway maybe be viewed as a shot at the precious new coach.

Our entire group and probably pretty much everyone around us would be upset as it's obvious they chose their seats to be where they are because it is the Gophers side line.

Our entire group and probably pretty much everyone around us would be upset as it's obvious they chose their seats to be where they are because it is the Gophers side line.
You and your friends will get over it. My God.

Most of the big money donors are on the South Side and yeah, some of them were upset by the idea.

If Fleck thinks it helps, keep all the "extras", band, cheerleaders, on-field etc. still oriented toward the South Side.

Oh, but there will be whiners out there still.

Just do it next year and switch/fix the seating issue during the off season. That's the answer.

The notion the Gophers would have won even one more football game since 2009 if they had been on the sunny side of the field is ridiculous. The comfort of players on the sidelines is not in the top ten thousand of factors that determine the outcome of games. Viking players for Bud Grant were ALWAYS colder than the team they were playing. And so were the coaches, medical personnel, equipment managers, and ballboys. It would be idiotic for Coyle to risk alienating and losing even more season ticket holders after so many were lost because of the price increases.

Pretty rich coming from a guy who spends 90% of his posts defending each and every single comment that could somehow, someway maybe be viewed as a shot at the precious new coach.

It's not about defending the coach. It's about defending common sense.

I don't get it in that why wouldn't a true Gopher fan want whats best for the team?

I don't get it in that why wouldn't a true Gopher fan want whats best for the team?

After the last couple seasons we have seen there are not as many "true Gopher fans" as we thought. The majority of Gopher fans with season tickets have a limit to how much they love their team. It usually boils down to: (1) wins and losses; (2) ticket prices; (3) tailgating; and last but not necessarily least, (4) their seat location. There is very little doubt there will be hundreds (if not thousands) of long time season ticket holders who will be pissed off if the team moves to the other side of the field. They love sitting behind the Gopher bench and watching all of the activity that happens there during all of the timeouts and other times when nothing is happening on the field.

<b>The notion the Gophers would have won even one more football game since 2009 if they had been on the sunny side of the field is ridiculous. </b>The comfort of players on the sidelines is not in the top ten thousand of factors that determine the outcome of games. Viking players for Bud Grant were ALWAYS colder than the team they were playing. And so were the coaches, medical personnel, equipment managers, and ballboys. It would be idiotic for Coyle to risk alienating and losing even more season ticket holders after so many were lost because of the price increases.

I don't know if this is right, but can't deny that if anyone would recognize ridiculous statements, it would be you.

So, if PJF (like other coaches) honestly feels it would give us an advantage in a game later this year - you would still be upset if the team stood on the other sideline that game?

So, if PJF (like other coaches) honestly feels it would give us an advantage in a game later this year - you would still be upset if the team stood on the other sideline that game?

Correct. It's simple we chose to have our tickets on the HOME side. They don't sell the tickets as the north/south or sunny/shady side. They sell the tickets as home and away sides. We have specifically bought our tickets where they are to be on the home side and I'm positive others around us have too.

Correct. It's simple we chose to have our tickets on the HOME side. They don't sell the tickets as the north/south or sunny/shady side. They sell the tickets as home and away sides. We have specifically bought our tickets where they are to be on the home side and I'm positive others around us have too.

Well, I value wins more than having the team on "my sideline" - but to each their own. I guess.

Didn't the Vikings used to have both teams on the same side of the field at the old Met? Of course, the active roster for a pro team is a lot smaller than the active roster for college football, so I doubt both teams could fit on the same side for a college game.

Top Bottom