Switchng sidelines might not cause the collapse of civilization as we know it

Well, I value wins more than having the team on "my sideline" - but to each their own. I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the poster above I don't believe standing on one sideline or the other will influence the outcome of the game. If you want to get into a pissing match about who the bigger fan is I'll be happy to compare stats.

Like the poster above I don't believe standing on one sideline or the other will influence the outcome of the game. If you want to get into a pissing match about who the bigger fan is I'll be happy to compare stats.

I value wins over sidelines. What stat you got?

I value wins over sidelines. What stat you got?

I also obviously value wins over sidelines, but don't think the sideline matters for the umpteenth time.

I also obviously value wins over sidelines, but don't think the sideline matters for the umpteenth time.

I get it and don't doubt your commitment. Just having fun.
Go Gophers!

Many season ticket holders with seats between the 20-yard lines behind the Gopher bench are long time fans who have supported Gopher football with their ticket purchases and donations for many years during good times and bad. They chose those seats when they could have had seats almost anywhere else in Gopher Stadium. Their seats don't give them a better view of the field than the seats between the 20-yard line on the other side of the stadium. They chose them because they wanted to be on the home side of the field behind the Gopher bench. After they discovered they would never see the sun from their seats (if they didn't know when they made their selection) they have had to console themselves with the knowledge they would always remain on home side of the field with their same view of the Gopher players and coaches during the unending stoppages in play.

To take that away from them now would devalue their seats in their own minds whether or not the rest of us would feel the same way about sitting where they do. Many of them will make the same decision many other season ticket holders made when the ticket price increases happened. They will give up their seats and either buy single game tickets on the street for a fraction of their face value or they will decide to watch Gopher games on TV (if it all). The U can't afford to lose those fans for a competitive advantage on the field that is unproven and will be insignificant by any measure that armchair statisticians try to dream up.

The notion the Gophers would have won even one more football game since 2009 if they had been on the sunny side of the field is ridiculous. The comfort of players on the sidelines is not in the top ten thousand of factors that determine the outcome of games. Viking players for Bud Grant were ALWAYS colder than the team they were playing. And so were the coaches, medical personnel, equipment managers, and ballboys. It would be idiotic for Coyle to risk alienating and losing even more season ticket holders after so many were lost because of the price increases.

Of all the dumb things we argue about here this discussion has to be near the top. Weird how they have blowers and heaters for the players if comfort doesn't matter. Why even provide water? Man up.

PJ came from southern Michigan which is stil pretty hot in the summer and cold in the winter. PJ has actually played football unlike you. If PJ, our coach, thinks it would help the team either psychologically or physically (and have the opposite effect on the opponent) then fall in line!

How do folks up in the luxury boxes cope without having great views of the sideline? Binocs are a sports fan's best friend.

The notion the Gophers would have won even one more football game since 2009 if they had been on the sunny side of the field is ridiculous. The comfort of players on the sidelines is not in the top ten thousand of factors that determine the outcome of games. Viking players for Bud Grant were ALWAYS colder than the team they were playing. And so were the coaches, medical personnel, equipment managers, and ballboys. It would be idiotic for Coyle to risk alienating and losing even more season ticket holders after so many were lost because of the price increases.

Home and away teams at Met Stadium were on the SAME side of the field.

Oh. My. God. Like some people really put thought into where they decide to spend $1000/ticket? No way!
Honestly would like to know why you need the Gophers side. Prefer to look at Gophers backsides than opponents? I guess I'm weird, i prefer the action on the field. Could care less what's going on in the bench area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ran the numbers and we would have 2 additional wins and 1 tie on the sunny side.

I ran the numbers and we would have 2 additional wins and 1 tie on the sunny side.

Would this be considered a mindful post?

I really liked my row 2 seats on the sunny side that I gave up during Norwood/ Coyle money grab. I really appreciated the sunlight and heat, even during the early games and liked my view of the big scoreboard when the angle from my low seats was not so good to see a play.

What I really liked about my seats was seeing the reactions of the visiting players and coaches as the game went on. My biggest takeaway is that Brian Ferentz is giant A hole, and I respect Kirk a lot. I hope they give him the Iowa HC job. Despite the loss of the weekly view of the visiting team dynamics, I would have no issue if I did not know from week to week if the Gopher players or visitors would be in front of my seats. That unknown would make it sort of fun each week.

How about on games where the Gophers move to the sunny (visitor) side, PJ agrees to sprint to the 10-yard line over on the shady (home) side for all his between quarter meetings. That way those on that side will all get to see the team up close still.

Just do it next year and switch/fix the seating issue during the off season. That's the answer.

It's crazy to not take every possible home field advantage that you can get. It's about winning.

Honestly would like to know why you need the Gophers side. Prefer to look at Gophers backsides than opponents? I guess I'm weird, i prefer the action on the field. Could care less what's going on in the bench area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is a total of about 10 minutes of "action on the field" during a football game and you are in your seats for 4 hours. I guess I prefer the HOME sideline entertainment during the 98% of the time I'm in my seat and there is no game going on. I guess I'm weird but I don't prefer to sit there and close my eyes for most of those 4 hours when there is no action on the field.

It's crazy to not take every possible home field advantage that you can get. It's about winning.

It's kind of crazy to think sitting on a different side of the field will affect the outcome of a game.

It's kind of crazy to think sitting on a different side of the field will affect the outcome of a game.

I think for a lot of games it probably doesn't make a big difference, but if it's very hot or very cold it could make a small difference (especially if you can be in the sun on a very cold game). Why not take every advantage you can get.

Weather can completely change games when it affects what happens on the field. No doubt about that. Lets worry about the other million things that have a greater affect on the game than maybe 1 cold game per year where a couple bench warmers may be more comfortable with the sun on their face than if just sitting on a heated bench.

I chose my seats on the away side because I like to watch visiting coaches, and I have no problem with this change.

Top Bottom