Support for Royce

GopherRicky

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe the fools who want to kick Royce off the team for being charged with two misdemeanors. Nobody is happy with Royce about what went down, but a bunch of posters are overreacting to a couple misdemeanor charges. Suspension of a few games and getting some counseling should suffice.

Meanwhile Trevor is charged with a FELONY and 80% of this board think he was jobbed. I agreed that Maturi did the right thing based on the seriousness of the charges.

I truly am puzzled with all the support posts for Trevor and at the same time the attacks on Royce. Quit trying to make a mountain out of a moehill. He'll serve his punishment and will be welcome back. Lets back our guy Royce.

I can't believe the fools who want to kick Royce off the team for being charged with two misdemeanors. Nobody is happy with Royce about what went down, but a bunch of posters are overreacting to a couple misdemeanor charges. Suspension of a few games and getting some counseling should suffice.

Meanwhile Trevor is charged with a FELONY and 80% of this board think he was jobbed. I agreed that Maturi did the right thing based on the seriousness of the charges.

I truly am puzzled with all the support posts for Trevor and at the same time the attacks on Royce. Quit trying to make a mountain out of a moehill. He'll serve his punishment and will be welcome back. Lets back our guy Royce.

Agreed! Royce is still a gopher and I will still cheer for him. Kids make mistakes, I too have been convicted of a misdemeanor and I turned out just fine. Am I proud of what I did? No. But I learned from it and I am a better person for it. Lets hope this is the eye opener he needed in his Freshman year and is a kick start to a great Gopher career!

It is easy to be emotional either way. This kid has problem. I am positive that Tubby thought that he could help him. That's why he got him. I remmeber about one year ago, he had an interview with somebody?? Unlike other people in his class, he gave Tubby no credit. He said that he was planning on playing at U of M no mather who the coach was. To me, this kid has attitude problem. It seems like Tubby has failed to help him and that's why he is very angry. The only people who can help him now are himself and his family. No mather how much support we provide for him, he cannot change unless he wants to be a better person.

"Couple of Misdemeanors" so how many do we need to "overreact" 3, 4, 5 or more???? Maybe i have been misreading alot of posts on here the last few days but i would say hardly anyone said kick Royce off now-a few did say they would support that decision though if Tubby did so choose. And where did you get that 80% think Trevor has been jobbed. It is 50:50 at worse i think, but more likely 65:35 or higher in favor of what Maturi had to do.

I was not a big Royce fan to begin with, i hope he gets his head screwed on straight, but i will not welcome him back. Trouble follows him around....

Certainly, if this were a first time offense, it would not be nearly as big of a deal. This is more than an isolated incident with Royce; he's had a track record of mistakes over the past two years. He's been expelled from a school, kicked out of the dorms, and has a history of violent outbursts. Not to mention, he's just plain stupid. Anyone that is willing to potentially throw away their basketball career for $100 worth of apparel is beyond me. If Royce is allowed to stay, he better be under extreme scrutiny. This kid has used up 8 of his lives...

Yes, kids do make mistakes. However, Royce is an 18 or 19 year old adult and has a pattern for this type of behavior. He will earn my "support" when he starts showing his "support" for the University and it's basketball program. So far, he's off to a poor start.

I'd be more concerned about White's life (and I assure you Tubby Smith is) than what he can do for the University of Minnesota's basketball team. If this is an isolated incident I think he deserves a second chance with some serious strings attached.

I'm loathe to give up on young people. I've worked in basketball these past couple of years with some kids from very bad backgrounds (extreme poverty, parents in jail or on drugs, single mothers) and it has broken my heart knowing that despite everything I've done and how much I care some of the kids aren't going to make it. There's just so much people can do for a young person. They have to make the correct choices for themselves and sometimes they need to fall and face the extreme consequences of those bad choices before they can become better people.

<<he's had a track record of mistakes over the past two years>>

Burton34, Quit hating on Royce. What he did before he was a gopher is irrelevant. You said Trevor should play despite his much more serious charges and now you want Royce off the team for misdemeanors (petty theft and a couple pushes on some gungho mall cop). You are a HYPOCRITE. Royce stays and Tubby won't overreact because of what fools like you think.

It is easy to be emotional either way. This kid has problem. I am positive that Tubby thought that he could help him. That's why he got him. I remmeber about one year ago, he had an interview with somebody?? Unlike other people in his class, he gave Tubby no credit. He said that he was planning on playing at U of M no mather who the coach was. To me, this kid has attitude problem. It seems like Tubby has failed to help him and that's why he is very angry. The only people who can help him now are himself and his family. No mather how much support we provide for him, he cannot change unless he wants to be a better person.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Royce White has the utmost respect for Tubby Smith. Until you've heard every interview from Royce White (and I'm not saying I have), please don't assume that he has no respect for Tubby. I have heard Royce say that Tubby is a coaching legend and that he is privileged to play for him. Besides, what's wrong with saying that he was going to play at the U no matter what coach??!! That's called Minnesota pride! Not arrogance!

I don't think you really interpreted Royce correctly on playing for the U no matter who the coach is. Why does that necessarily mean he's giving Tubby no credit? It means he didn't make his choice based on the coach, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like/respect Tubby. All it shows is his hometown pride if anything.

Burton34, Quit hating on Royce. What he did before he was a gopher is irrelevant. You said Trevor should play despite his much more serious charges and now you want Royce off the team for misdemeanors (petty theft and a couple pushes on some gungho mall cop). You are a HYPOCRITE. Royce stays and Tubby won't overreact because of what fools like you think.

What he did before his very relevant, and to think that it is not is foolish!! Royce has shown a pattern of behavior that is very concerning to say the least.

Someone should make a thread where, instead of betting on who shall win the next game, we instead gamble on how long our players' suspensions will be!

Why should we quit hating on Royce. He hasn't given us ONE reason yet. All he does is DUMB SH.IT all the time. He is about to get kicked out of his second school if he doesn't be careful. We know you are Royce's friend but we aren't going to give him any sympathy. He deserves what he is getting and than some.

Someone should make a thread where, instead of betting on who shall win the next game, we instead gamble on how long our players' suspensions will be!

Either that or Gopher Hole should start a new Forum.

SUSPENSIONS/LEGAL ISSUES FORUM

"Support" for Royce?

I promise I won't boo the kid when he comes on the court but right now I'm at best neutral on the kid. And, if he's convicted of this charge, I'm not going to be a supporter even if he scores and plays like the next Michael Jordan. He's made some major errors in judgement in the past that can be partially explained by youthful stupidity. If the shoplifting charge is proven, that excuse flies out the window. I expect kids to know they shouldn't steal by the age of, oh, four or five. And if he wrestled with the security guard as has been reported, I expect kids to know by 10 or 11 that it's a stupid thing to do.

So Royce is going to have to earn support from this fan and (I suspect) a lot of other fans. That's not a matter of doing well on the court as much as it is by doing well in the community. Harder to demonstrate but he's lost a lot of ground with this latest reported escapade and the burden is on him, IMO.

Royce is getting very close to the end of the line for 'chances.'

Look for Tubby to get a huge ovation when he takes the floor against UMD.

Bla Bla, kids make mistakes but when they make them mulitiple times they cross that line and become "freakin idiots". Hopefully someone in his family (or Tubby) can knock some sense into him but based on past behavior it doesn't look encouraging.

trevor vs royce

The two situations differ slightly in that Trevor denies the charge and has some witnesses to support his alibi. Royce on the other hand, committed acts in the one location in the state that probably has more security cameras than the airport. When will we see the clips on YouTube?

I have not heard anything of Royce denying the charges.

In any case if either is convicted of these crimes I dont want them on the team this season. Suspend them for 1 season and if they want to come back, fine. If not guilty they can play immediately.

Regarding Royce, he couldnt even get to Game 1 of the season without some huge bit of stupid befalling him. If he is found guilty and winds up playing this season I will be one solid boo-bird.

Both sides are correct imo. This is not an incident which merits dismissal from the team and at the same time he is on the road to ruin with his well chronicled pattern of poor behavior, poor sportsmanship and lack of respect for others.

This is not an incident which merits dismissal from the team and at the same time he is on the road to ruin with his well chronicled pattern of poor behavior, poor sportsmanship and lack of respect for others.

I don't know why it made me think of it, but, can you imagine what the chants from the student sections are going to be like towards Royce?

Both sides are correct imo. This is not an incident which merits dismissal from the team and at the same time he is on the road to ruin with his well chronicled pattern of poor behavior, poor sportsmanship and lack of respect for others.

Thank you. "Lack of respect for others" was the point of my post. I have nothing against a kid who has hometown pride. Afterall, this is University of Minnesota not University of Tubby or White. Several years ago when I was at Purdue, Joe Tiller gave a really bad reference for one of his TEs. It was during Breese era if I remember correctly. This guy did not get drafted in NFL because of that. Knowing this guy's past, do you really think that he had several options other than U of M? I am not sure if he could get so many good references.

White has been a consistent screw up for several years. There is no place in the program for players like him. A total embarrassment for the U.

"I promise I won't boo the kid when he comes on the court but right now I'm at best neutral on the kid. And, if he's convicted of this charge, I'm not going to be a supporter even if he scores and plays like the next Michael Jordan. He's made some major errors in judgement in the past that can be partially explained by youthful stupidity. If the shoplifting charge is proven, that excuse flies out the window. I expect kids to know they shouldn't steal by the age of, oh, four or five. And if he wrestled with the security guard as has been reported, I expect kids to know by 10 or 11 that it's a stupid thing to do.

"So Royce is going to have to earn support from this fan and (I suspect) a lot of other fans. That's not a matter of doing well on the court as much as it is by doing well in the community. Harder to demonstrate but he's lost a lot of ground with this latest reported escapade and the burden is on him, IMO."

As Fonzie would say, "Perfectamundo." Well said, Rick. My feelings exactly.

My personal opinion is the suspension should be at absolute bare minimum 9 games (roughly 28% of the games). That would sit his butt down on the bench through at least the Miami game. However, I expect it to be longer than that and would fully support it if he's suspended for the season (and no, this isn't an over-reaction, past actions do matter to me). Truth is, I'll be disappointed if he sees the court anytime before or during the 76 Classic/Miami.

Yes, kids do make mistakes. However, Royce is an 18 or 19 year old adult and has a pattern for this type of behavior. He will earn my "support" when he starts showing his "support" for the University and it's basketball program. So far, he's off to a poor start.

+1

Unrelated-

I'm still wondering about the Bostick suspension. I'm going to throw out a theory for fun.

Could it be that Bostick was assigned to White as a senior/freshman mentor type of thing?

I don't know why it made me think of it, but, can you imagine what the chants from the student sections are going to be like towards Royce?

Just like the Peter Warrick incident at Dillard's, expect opposing fans to show up at games with Macy's shopping bags.

I promise I won't boo the kid when he comes on the court but right now I'm at best neutral on the kid. And, if he's convicted of this charge, I'm not going to be a supporter even if he scores and plays like the next Michael Jordan. He's made some major errors in judgement in the past that can be partially explained by youthful stupidity. If the shoplifting charge is proven, that excuse flies out the window. I expect kids to know they shouldn't steal by the age of, oh, four or five. And if he wrestled with the security guard as has been reported, I expect kids to know by 10 or 11 that it's a stupid thing to do.

So Royce is going to have to earn support from this fan and (I suspect) a lot of other fans. That's not a matter of doing well on the court as much as it is by doing well in the community. Harder to demonstrate but he's lost a lot of ground with this latest reported escapade and the burden is on him, IMO.

Well said gentlemen!!

I suspect if Royce is playing by the time the Big 10 season rolls around, opposing student sections will make sure he's very familiar with 3 letters in the alphabet. ... "M" "O" "A".

Thank you. "Lack of respect for others" was the point of my post. I have nothing against a kid who has hometown pride. Afterall, this is University of Minnesota not University of Tubby or White. Several years ago when I was at Purdue, Joe Tiller gave a really bad reference for one of his TEs. It was during Breese era if I remember correctly. This guy did not get drafted in NFL because of that. Knowing this guy's past, do you really think that he had several options other than U of M? I am not sure if he could get so many good references.

#89 Tiiiiiiiiimmmm Stratton

Top Bottom