Sunny vs. Shady Side Debate: It's Official, Sunny Side Wins Hands Down

Our season tickets are on the shady side under the press box and we love it. Yep, it gets cold but our seats are blocked from a lot of the wind and when it's raining or snowing we stay completely dry. I will admit that there are days where we look across the field and see the people in the sun and we're jealous but we can sit back and smile on those Saturdays when it's snowing or raining.

I sat in your seats during the Vikings/Bears game during a winter blizzard and will admit it was nice. But for those 50 or so seats and during such conditions, I would say the rest of the shady side is inferior to the sunny side. Up until this year, I had seats on both sides and almost always sat on the sunny side. When I quit paying for two of the seats, I kept the sunny side seats. Yes, I potentially risk one game a season being on the sunny side when the shady side might be better but enjoy the other six games being in the sun.

As spoofin was saying, to each their own.

Went to the Nebraska game, it was decently warm. Sat in the shady side and was quite comfortable. Sunny side fans were shielding their eyes. First non warm game was Michigan, ok... 4/7 home games, not quite 3/4.
The high for the Nebraska game was 56. It was beautiful. If you define 56 as "decently warm" or too warm, then, yeah, you're better off on the shady side. Also, I would guess that few call 56 "hot and muggy."

I have sat all over since I buy single game tickets. If I had to get season tickets and restrict myself to one side or the other I would much rather sit in the shady side, much easier to deal with cold than heat. I can put on more layers but I hate sweating my sack off in the hot games.

The high for the Nebraska game was 56. It was beautiful. If you define 56 as "decently warm" or too warm, then, yeah, you're better off on the shady side. Also, I would guess that few call 56 "hot and muggy."

I wasn't at that game but I will say it feels a lot warmer in the stadium. Sat on the sunny side at a Vikings game earlier this year. I think the high was around 65 and it go warm after awhile.

I wasn't at that game but I will say it feels a lot warmer in the stadium. Sat on the sunny side at a Vikings game earlier this year. I think the high was around 65 and it go warm after awhile.
Yes, it felt warmer than that in the sun. That's the point of this thread. How much warmer did it feel? Ten degrees? Fifteen? If it felt like 70 degrees and we can take jacjets off do we consider that "hot and muggy?" I don't ... that sounds awesome in October. That's what I've been responding to, and why I picked the sunny side.

Is it "hot and muggy" for three-fourths of the season? Not close, in my opinion. But if that's the opinion if others, I can see why they would pick the shade, and why we'll never agree.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

To the people that think it's warmer in the sun, are you just estimating or using a digital thermometer?

Sitting in the sun for the two or three home games when it gets really cold is not nearly enough for most of us to give up the perks of sitting on the shady side:

1. We get to watch the game with many more long-time true Gopher fans.

2. We don't have to watch the game with nearly as many loud and obnoxious visitor fans.

3. We get to watch the marching band right side up.

4. We get to see much more of Goldy Gopher and the cheerleaders during the many game interruptions.

5. We are much closer to the light rail station for a quick exit after the game or to the bars.

Sitting in the sun for the two or three home games when it gets really cold is not nearly enough for most of us to give up the perks of sitting on the shady side:

1. We get to watch the game with many more long-time true Gopher fans.

2. We don't have to watch the game with nearly as many loud and obnoxious visitor fans.

3. We get to watch the marching band right side up.

4. We get to see much more of Goldy Gopher and the cheerleaders during the many game interruptions.

5. We are much closer to the light rail station for a quick exit after the game or to the bars.

1 & 2 are speculative at best. 5 depends where you sit. As for 3, you miss the hidden messages the band gives that are only visible from the sunny side.

I like home side

Been on visiting side few times, like it there too

Cold really only happens once or twice

Sat on home side. Thought about moving over but didn't. Wish I had.

Which reminds me of something I have been thinking about recently. I love college football but enjoy the earlier games when it is warmer. I have been to a few badger games recently when it as absolutely freezing. Why do we have to play our biggest rival as the last game of the season every year?

Sat on home side. Thought about moving over but didn't. Wish I had.

Which reminds me of something I have been thinking about recently. I love college football but enjoy the earlier games when it is warmer. I have been to a few badger games recently when it as absolutely freezing. Why do we have to play our biggest rival as the last game of the season every year?

Usually more on the line at the end of the year......for example......last years game determined who would play in the Big Ten Championship game.........

It's all about preparation. Before TCF Bank Stadium opened, one of the first things I did was go up to Cabelas and bought a pair of hunting boots that were the warmest ones they have. I wear those along with my fleece lined jeans and a few warm layers up top and I was as comfortable as could be on Saturday in the shade. We took a lap around the stadium around half time just to stretch our legs and watch some plays for different vantage points and while the sunny side was definitely warmer, I had to shade my eyes to see what was going on.

I won't come here and tell anyone that their opinion about which side is better is wrong because it's a personal decision. For me, I'll stick with the shady side over the sunny side for my season tickets.

Shady side is far superior. We are Minnesotans. If you don't know how to dress for the cold you aren't Minnesotan and should move on. No matter how cold it is I can always add another layer and be perfectly comfortable. When its over 65 and I'm in the sun I can only get so naked and will still be uncomfortable. Plus you sunny siders are getting skin cancer.

I am very happy with my seats on the sunny side, but also do not mind the 90 degree games at all. I am low in the 100 level and rarely even feel the wind. It felt very warm all day on Saturday I I was over dressed with a wool cap and light jacket some running gear under.

Having said that the Wisconsin game in 2013 was really tough but last year I sat on the home side when it was colder for the OSU game and felt great. I think the wind and low humidity made the UW game feel rew, even in the sun, whereas the OSU game was not windy with heavy cloud cover and damp but not raw conditions. That OSU game was one of my favorite games weather and atmosphere wise.

This debate will be "official" and "over" every time it is cold and sunny.

But, it will also be "official" and "over" every time it is hot and sunny.

I prefer the shade. I can always dress for the cold but I personally don't like the distraction of the sun in my face and I absolutely can't stand being uncomfortably warm. I had family members on the sunny side of the stadium send me texts twice this season asking if there were any open seats by us because they were uncomfortable in the hot sun. By the time November rolls around it is often cloudy anyway. But, there certainly are occasional games where the sunny side is a more comfortable place to sit. And for some reason, it is called out every time like sitting over there somehow is a popularity contest. I'm happy for everyone who had the opportunity to bathe in the sun last Saturday. Good for you!!

Everyone is different.

My season tickets have always been on the home/shady side. Was in 232 from 2009-2012, and moved to 246 in 2013. For me, the away/sunny side is only an advantage for 1 game per season, max. We usually play 2 nights games per season (sun obviously not a factor). This leaves maybe 1-2 games where it is cold AND sunny. As others have said, most of our November games are played under cloud cover.

I'll loop this back to one potential advantage to the home team being in the "shade."

Basically, from the sidelines the visitors are always dealing with sun in their eyes except for the late starts and night games. This is especially true later in the season.

It struck me during Northwestern last year that the sideline coaches all were shielding their eyes with their hand...even with sunglasses. On the other hand, our coaches did not have that issue.

Of course for the staff up in the boxes this is moot. But on the sideline it is one "inconvenience" that must be dealt with.

I experienced this during the spring game this past year myself by sitting in the "shade" for the first time. It was nice not to deal with the sun in that respect.

Here's to plenty of sun in Chryst's eyes at critical moments! Go Gophers! Bring Back The Axe!

Top Bottom