Sunny vs. Shady Side Debate: It's Official, Sunny Side Wins Hands Down

MNGoldenGophers1

Go4 Homer
Reaction score
It was amusing to see a half full stadium where one side, the sunny/"visitor" side, was packed and the shady/"home" side was next to empty. You could tell where the shade line was by watching where the students were and who slowly shifted north during the game. If anyone took pics of these two sides it would be cool if they got posted here. This much is for sure, it's time to reverse these two sides and have our golden ones shine in the sun all game long!

Go Gophers!

It's a mystery why we give the opposing team the better sideline.

Yeah....it was chilly in the shade today. However.....last years Ohio State.....when the wind was blowing and the snow was coming down.....it was nice to have the press box shielding us. The visitor side must have been getting pelted in the face.

Yeah....it was chilly in the shade today. However.....last years Ohio State.....when the wind was blowing and the snow was coming down.....it was nice to have the press box shielding us. The visitor side must have been getting pelted in the face.

I'll risk the occasional one in a hundred winter storms that blow out of the south than take it in the face those 99 other times on the shady side.

I'll risk the occasional one in a hundred winter storms that blow out of the south than take it in the face those 99 other times on the shady side.

I spent 2 much time picking out my season tickets @ the bank. In the end it was all about facing the Sun.

Our season tickets are up against the press box. In the shade on the hot days, protected by the overhang on the rain days, and I can dress for the cold. Wouldn't change em.

First 3/4 of the season they're in the hot muggy side.

November is also the cloudiest month of the year, limiting the advantage of the 'sunny side' like the Ohio State game last year. The shade is the best side of the stadium most of the season, then you take your chances in November.

Our season tickets are up against the press box. In the shade on the hot days, protected by the overhang on the rain days, and I can dress for the cold. Wouldn't change em.

This too. Sure.....today it would have been nice to be in the sun.....but those early season games.....thanks.....I'll take the shade.

I'm on the shady side. A lot of people on that side were watching from the concourse.

I bought a box. It's great regardless. I'd highly suggest it.

We had probably a dozen or so shady-side "defectors" in the second half in 212.

We laughed and welcomed them.

This was a big issue between the Billds during the original selection process.

I've come to appreciate losing this one. Visitor Side it is for us.

I also intentionally chose the sunny side during the initial selection process. Glad I did.

On a related note...big thumbs down to the no shows who stayed home because it was cold. We live in Minnesota, deal with it. I wore long johns, snow pants, wool socks and a jacket and wasn't cold at all.

When it came time to select a season ticket location ahead of the 2009 season, I wanted to be on the home side in part due to not wanting to be anywhere close to the official visitors sections among other reasons. The shade was also a factor and is nice early in the season but it definitely gets cool by the final games. For whatever reason today it got to me worse than usual despite being dressed for a polar expedition. Although a crowd was announced of nearly 48,000 based on tickets sold, if there were 38,000 people actually there it was a pushing things. There were mass pockets of empty seats everywhere. The cool weather, a disappointing season, an Illinois team no one cares about, Illinois having few alumni in the area and few traveling fans, and deer hunting season thinned out the crowd quite a bit. So we bailed out of section 233 before the first quarter was over and parked in 213. I sit in 207 for Vikings games and have felt the sun this season and last, but it never felt as good as today. We called the decision to move "the play of the day" and it's enough to make me consider relocating my seats for next season.

I'm not proud, but we moved to Sunnyside during halftime.

I also intentionally chose the sunny side during the initial selection process. Glad I did.

On a related note...big thumbs down to the no shows who stayed home because it was cold. We live in Minnesota, deal with it. I wore long johns, snow pants, wool socks and a jacket and wasn't cold at all.

When you have a significant senior set season ticket base who remember the great teams 50-60+ years ago, this will continue to be an issue. Time to get some fresh blood to step up. I'm hoping the stadium doesn't look like Camp Randall West this coming Saturday.

Anyone who says shady side is better a)sits on the shady side AND b)won't admit they have it worse. 0 reasons to prefer the shady side and everyone on here knows it.

I'm not proud, but we moved to Sunnyside during halftime.

Me too. First time.

I can handle the cold better than the heat thus I like the shade. There have been colder games.

But it was my fault. I left my good pair of boots and gloves in Bayfield.

0 reasons to prefer the shady side and everyone on here knows it.

Not true at all. I would much rather sit behind the Gophers bench than the opposing teams. That is one reason.

First 3/4 of the season they're in the hot muggy side.
Hot and muggy? 3/4 of the season? We're talking about Minnesota, not Texas. There's always one hot game. Some seasons there are two. Never three.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Anyone who says shady side is better a)sits on the shady side AND b)won't admit they have it worse. 0 reasons to prefer the shady side and everyone on here knows it.

I went to the Ohio game and the Michigan game where I sat on the shady side. I enjoyed the shade in the Ohio game while others on the sunny side sweltered. Unlike yesterday, you could see the massive shift of people to the shady side at halftime of the Ohio game.

During the Michigan game, the press box kept the light rain/snow from falling because we were sheltered.

Had I been there yesterday, I would have had the proper clothes on and enjoyed the game from the shady side. The actual number of times that the sunny side was a positive seat would probably be once or twice a season. The rest of the time, the shady side is much, much nicer.

I went to the Ohio game and the Michigan game where I sat on the shady side. I enjoyed the shade in the Ohio game while others on the sunny side sweltered. Unlike yesterday, you could see the massive shift of people to the shady side at halftime of the Ohio game.

During the Michigan game, the press box kept the light rain/snow from falling because we were sheltered.

Had I been there yesterday, I would have had the proper clothes on and enjoyed the game from the shady side. The actual number of times that the sunny side was a positive seat would probably be once or twice a season. The rest of the time, the shady side is much, much nicer.

I sat on the "sunny side" (night game) at MI. Must have missed that snow storm you were sheltered from.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. My definitive statement was meant tongue in cheek.

My seats are in 215 on the sunny side, and with the exception of an early game vs New Mexico State (where the heat likely contributed to knocking coach Kill down) the sunny side has been great.

At yesterdays game, as the shady side appeared to empty minute by minute, I wondered why the crowd appeared to be leaving early.... now I know.

I was sipping on a cold Miller Light with bare hands!

On a related note...big thumbs down to the no shows who stayed home because it was cold. We live in Minnesota, deal with it. I wore long johns, snow pants, wool socks and a jacket and wasn't cold at all.[/QUOTE]

+1 I Couldn't agree with you more! If you were properly dressed it was even toasty, but then I am on the sunny side. Maybe the band could play that old classic "On the Sunny Side of the Street" to warm up those of you on the shady side.:rolleyes:

Hot and muggy? 3/4 of the season? We're talking about Minnesota, not Texas. There's always one hot game. Some seasons there are two. Never three.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Went to the Nebraska game, it was decently warm. Sat in the shady side and was quite comfortable. Sunny side fans were shielding their eyes. First non warm game was Michigan, ok... 4/7 home games, not quite 3/4.

Our season tickets are on the shady side under the press box and we love it. Yep, it gets cold but our seats are blocked from a lot of the wind and when it's raining or snowing we stay completely dry. I will admit that there are days where we look across the field and see the people in the sun and we're jealous but we can sit back and smile on those Saturdays when it's snowing or raining.

Top Bottom