Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

He brought it on himself when he wanted National TV time for his announcement. I don't feel bad at all for any ridicule he gets. He wants to be the man, accept that the man is gonna get hated on a little.
I'm sure you would have the same attitude if your 17 year old was asked a question that he answered honestly? He literally responded to a question that he was asked. I always love how people on here comment how they think that Pitino is an open and honest guy. Kind of seems like Suggs is being open and honest in his responses to questions and now everyone doesn't like it? Weird

Also that's just stupid, "he brought it on himself when he wanted national tv time for his announcement," yes you are right all of the idiotic remarks including yours are totally justified regardless of merit because he went on TV? Good lord

The back page of the Strib sports section today: I noticed it on the table before I left for work. Unless we get some kind of (post-) Christmas miracle, we're not going to get even one of the players pictured in that spread, and I'm just sick thinking about it. Now, you don't have to tell me that we should be happy with whoever wants to play here, and it doesn't matter where they come from, and I don't disagree with that in principle. BUT, this is becoming a cultural norm in Minnesota: top-rated basketball players leaving--and doing well wherever they go. Thank goodness for Amir and Daniel, but this is a continuing opportunity to mine some elite talent that otherwise wouldn't consider Minnesota, and we're blowing it.

It's a cultural norm everywhere, not just MN. North Carolina's top prep player is going to Michigan. Florida loses tons of kids to UNC etc... Don't get sick over it, if this staff continues to develop players like they have the last two years, better kids will continue to come.

It's a cultural norm everywhere, not just MN. North Carolina's top prep player is going to Michigan. Florida loses tons of kids to UNC etc... Don't get sick over it, if this staff continues to develop players like they have the last two years, better kids will continue to come.
If you're going to bring up comparables, then I'll repeat it as often as I have to: so far, Pitino's the only head coach in my lifetime who hasn't brought in a 5-star or 5-star caliber player. Haskins, Monson and Smith all landed local 5-stars. I would not have supported the hire of Pitino had I known this was going to be the case.

If you're going to bring up comparables, then I'll repeat it as often as I have to: so far, Pitino's the only head coach in my lifetime who hasn't brought in a 5-star or 5-star caliber player. Haskins, Monson and Smith all landed local 5-stars. I would not have supported the hire of Pitino had I known this was going to be the case.

remind me who Smith's 5 star was?

I'll respectfully disagree with you on this one Bad Gopher. According to 247 composite (unless I missed somebody), Pitino has had four shots at recruiting a local five star player -- Hurt, Jones, Jones, and Suggs. I hope our support of a coach is not based solely on the whims of three local families. Oturu wasn't a five star but is certainly performing like a theoretical five star player currently. Murphy/Mason/Coffey were not five star players but developed nicely during their time here. Indiana recruited a local five star player last year (Romeo Langford) that led them to an 8-12 record. Our last handful of five star players have been disappointments for various reasons (Pryzbilla/Humphries/White/Williams?). None of them transformed the program and/or ended up as local heroes.

Landing five star players routinely will never be the recipe for success here. (I'm not suggesting we shouldn't recruit them or turn them down if they want to come here. )

Last two recruiting cycles havent been that great overall. Pitino has made hay from the transfer market - springs, carr, demir, tall Louisville guy. Bottom line is continue to make the tourney and all doubts go away.

I hope our support of a coach is not based solely on the whims of three local families.
I support Pitino fully, but I'll critique his performance. "Whims" of kids and their families go with the territory, and this is a bottom line business. It's like any job in sales: can you make the sale.

I support Pitino fully, but I'll critique his performance. "Whims" of kids and their families go with the territory, and this is a bottom line business. It's like any job in sales: can you make the sale.
Hes making sales, it's just his clients are from out of state.

I for one could care less where our players come from. Its a national program, so it makes sense that most impact players are OOS recruits. The one-and-dones are not a formula for success at the U, regardless if they are local or not.

I for one could care less where our players come from. Its a national program, so it makes sense that most impact players are OOS recruits. The one-and-dones are not a formula for success at the U, regardless if they are local or not.
And I'll go back to my example: the two UW teams that were legit national title contenders wouldn't have been had it not been for in-state 5-star recruits. Butch was there two years, and Dekker was there for three.

Guess Texas Tech is lucky they have a great coach. ?‍♂️
Beard is a generational coach. You take that job and knock out Kansas as the conference champ, then get to the final game. Going to win a national title soon. Saw a practice there two years ago. Intense and gifted teacher. Now he is knocking it out of the park on the recruiting trail. Talk about finding fits. He built a culture day one.

Did Monson have anyone besides Humphries? Because that was the worst year ever.

You wouldn't support anyone then, because a ton would leave anyways because it's what happens with recruiting anyways. I wouldn't have supported the hire because their were candidates who have a better track record and winning and developing players, but that we cannot change. Recruiting is so different now than it was even 10 years ago.

Last two recruiting cycles havent been that great overall. Pitino has made hay from the transfer market - springs, carr, demir, tall Louisville guy. Bottom line is continue to make the tourney and all doubts go away.

Last two? If you count that last two complete classes, then the Oturo, Gabe, and Omersa class will cube considered very good. If you are counting the current one, we cannot judge it until it's finished, but Mashburn is a good get. Agree, win more and we will get better players and also appreciate Pitino raids the transfer market. It's a great market to get into since kids are transferring at record rates

Did Monson have anyone besides Humphries? Because that was the worst year ever.

Rickert, who I see as the best Gopher basketball player post final four, just didn't match the NBA skillset.

I really don't care what STAR they are, as long as they play as a team and not as a "ME"

Teams win games...not "I's" or Me's"

I think this is the best TEAM we have had in a while...very few "ME's" but not the most talented

And I'll go back to my example: the two UW teams that were legit national title contenders wouldn't have been had it not been for in-state 5-star recruits. Butch was there two years, and Dekker was there for three.
Neither Butch nor Dekker was the best player on those rosters in the 8 total years (counting Butch’s redshirt year) they were on the roster. They were national contenders because players like Alondo Tucker, Greg Steisma, Marcus Landry, and Frank Kaminsky grew into stars.

I'm sure you would have the same attitude if your 17 year old was asked a question that he answered honestly? He literally responded to a question that he was asked. I always love how people on here comment how they think that Pitino is an open and honest guy. Kind of seems like Suggs is being open and honest in his responses to questions and now everyone doesn't like it? Weird

Also that's just stupid, "he brought it on himself when he wanted national tv time for his announcement," yes you are right all of the idiotic remarks including yours are totally justified regardless of merit because he went on TV? Good lord
It's the new American standard on pretty much everything. We love "Open and Honest" as long as we agree with it or it suits our interest. We hate "Open and Honest" if we disagree or it doesn't make us look good.

Last two? If you count that last two complete classes, then the Oturo, Gabe, and Omersa class will cube considered very good. If you are counting the current one, we cannot judge it until it's finished, but Mashburn is a good get. Agree, win more and we will get better players and also appreciate Pitino raids the transfer market. It's a great market to get into since kids are transferring at record rates

My bad. For some reason was thinking the Wasington-Harris class was after the class with our 3 sophomores. Pretty much negates my point.

Neither Butch nor Dekker was the best player on those rosters in the 8 total years (counting Butch’s redshirt year) they were on the roster. They were national contenders because players like Alondo Tucker, Greg Steisma, Marcus Landry, and Frank Kaminsky grew into stars.
That may be true, but it's beside the point.

The back page of the Strib sports section today: I noticed it on the table before I left for work. Unless we get some kind of (post-) Christmas miracle, we're not going to get even one of the players pictured in that spread, and I'm just sick thinking about it. Now, you don't have to tell me that we should be happy with whoever wants to play here, and it doesn't matter where they come from, and I don't disagree with that in principle. BUT, this is becoming a cultural norm in Minnesota: top-rated basketball players leaving--and doing well wherever they go. Thank goodness for Amir and Daniel, but this is a continuing opportunity to mine some elite talent that otherwise wouldn't consider Minnesota, and we're blowing it.
I would like to grab a reasonably comparable state/situation of another larger public school, and just curious how they do in comparison.

How about the U of Washington, in Seattle? I don't know how many elite bball players are produced in western Washington, but I would assume some decent amount comparable to the Twin Cities/MN at least.

How many of those do they get to stay home, on average? Anyone know those numbers?

Top Bottom