Sugarhill Gang - (Apache)...jump on it...jump on it...jump on it

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
"Apache" by Sugarhill Gang is a great 3rd quarter song - love watching all the students get into it. Although, I have to give Wisconsin a little credit with their 3rd quarter song being "Jump Around" by House of Pain which has been their tradition. But Sugarhill is ours - Hope we keep it and do it big!!!

"Apache" by Sugarhill Gang is a great 3rd quarter song - love watching all the students get into it. Although, I have to give Wisconsin a little credit their 3rd quarter song is "Jump Around" by House of Pain which has been their tradition. But Sugarhill is ours - Hope we keep it and do it big!!!

Sorry to be a killjoy but I think this song is weak sauce. It wasn't even a hit in it's day & virtually no one knows who or what it is. I would have liked to see "Let's go crazy" by Prince or maybe something a little more rousing like "Hey Ya" by Outkast or maybe "OPP".

Sorry to be a killjoy but I think this song is weak sauce. It wasn't even a hit in it's day & virtually no one knows who or what it is. I would have liked to see "Let's go crazy" by Prince or maybe something a little more rousing like "Hey Ya" by Outkast or maybe "OPP".

I disagree, everybody knows that song and the "Fresh Prince" dance that goes with it. I think it is dumb that Neil Diamond or Journey is played right after the Apache song. Stick to the one tradition that all the students like, and is unique. Don't Stop Believin and Sweet Caroline are not Gopher traditions, they are played everywhere. Most people start rolling their eyes when a third fan participation song is played, stick with Apache. It works

Maybe the obsurity adds to the appeal. All the students know what to do. They've done Apache into Sweet Caroline a few times now and has gone off great. I'm cool with that as our tradition.

To the OP: "I have to give Wisconsin a little credit". No you don't.

I have to give the Badgers credit for literaly stealing the best fight song in college football from the Gophers.

I'm good with this starting as a tradition too. I remember it very clearly from the Iowa game last year and was happy to see it continue this year. They could maybe cut out Sweet Caroline and go from Apache to Kernkraft, but I don't mind it one bit right now. I thought it added energy at both the Iowa and Miami games. Don't remember it from the New Mexico game.

I disagree, everybody knows that song and the "Fresh Prince" dance that goes with it. I think it is dumb that Neil Diamond or Journey is played right after the Apache song. Stick to the one tradition that all the students like, and is unique. Don't Stop Believin and Sweet Caroline are not Gopher traditions, they are played everywhere. Most people start rolling their eyes when a third fan participation song is played, stick with Apache. It works

Is it truly unique? This is a serious question. I've never seen it done anywhere else. If it really is unique, we need to really make an effort to establish this as our own tradition. I have noticed that more and more people participate every game. Would be really cool to get everyone doing it.

Watch the d linemen when it comes on. Whether on the field or bench, that has been almost more entertaining that the games through two weeks.

There's some good and bad sides to Apache. The good is that all the students know the dance, and they will all do it (and I saw some members of the general public joining in as well). I could see it become a third quarter tradition that gets everyone to participate. The bad: it is a really lousy song, and once you get past the "jump on it" part, and the Sugarhill Gang actually starts to rap, it gets pretty brutal. So the only usable part of the song is the "jump on it" part, which isn't nearly long enough to last the quarter break. The remedy so far has been to splice in Kernkraft and Sweet Caroline, which, I think, leads to a totally disjointed, "hey-let's-see-how-many-crowd-favorites-we-can-play-in-3-minutes" quarter break. I think, if Apache is the choice, they should figure out something else to fill the extra time. My idea: body surf Goldy up the student section for the first half of the break, then start Apache. Two fun traditions, and only one song.

I have to give the Badgers credit for literaly stealing the best fight song in college football from the Gophers.

Not sure if serious. If you are referring to On Wisconsin, it was written for Minnesota. The U did not choose it, so the writer than took it to Wisconsin and the accepted it. Great move by the U in my opinion.

Is it truly unique? This is a serious question. I've never seen it done anywhere else.

No, not in the slightest. Heavily played at many other schools, including versions where the lyrics have been changed to be relevant to the particular school. Claiming it as 'the Gophers song' and 'unique' would be like you and I finding a ball, shooting it into a milk crate and then claiming that we just invented basketball.

Nothing wrong with using the song, but trying to spin it as unique is silly (as it is when Becky fans get all excited about Jump Around).

BTW, I think the 'music' originated with The Shadows 50+ years ago.

I love Apache, too. I wish the Marketing Department wouldn't screw it up by adding two other songs and and an ad during the same break. It is true, as Sonofthevarsity said, that the actual "fun" part is short. But this is a multi-million dollar business. I'm sure they could find a media agency who could splice together a longer version.

Let's Go Crazy would also work and has a Minnesota connection, and I'm Alright has been mentioned before, and that would be great, too, with the Gopher dancing on the scoreboard. I think the key is to have something that will get the students into it and STICK WITH ONE THING.

I loved this song when I was in school and I will still do the dance for it today. I was glad to hear that some of the players get into it, because I think that's important. I mean, if I was a player trying to catch my 2nd wind for the 4th quarter and I hear "Sweet Caroline" blasted through the speakers, I'd lose all my intensity. As a rap aficionado, I would lean towards Eminems - Lose Yourself.... you know, something that makes the players want to get on the field and do some damage. But, rap doesn't really stand the test of time, so I'm ok with Jump On It.

I think the key is to have something that will get the students into it and STICK WITH ONE THING.

Yup! If they're going to put Sweet Caroline in between Apache and Kernkraft - so be it. But whatever they choose to do, they need to do it every game!

I loved this song when I was in school and I will still do the dance for it today. I was glad to hear that some of the players get into it, because I think that's important. I mean, if I was a player trying to catch my 2nd wind for the 4th quarter and I hear "Sweet Caroline" blasted through the speakers, I'd lose all my intensity. As a rap aficionado, I would lean towards Eminems - Lose Yourself.... you know, something that makes the players want to get on the field and do some damage. But, rap doesn't really stand the test of time, so I'm ok with Jump On It.
As a rap aficionado, you picked Lose Yourself? There's got to be something from Rhymesayers or Doomtree that would work. Apache is the fan favorite; Doomtree brings it home to something uniquely MN.

As a rap aficionado, you picked Lose Yourself? There's got to be something from Rhymesayers or Doomtree that would work. Apache is the fan favorite; Doomtree brings it home to something uniquely MN.

If you can find something with appropriate lyrics for a pump-up song then go ahead, but most MN hip-hop is all that "conscious" rap and I don't think it lends itself as well. "Lose Yourself" is not a great song in general but it is perfect for this purpose., though I do think it has now reached the point of being cheesy and overdone.

Personally I say go Wu-Tang and "Bring the Ruckus" !!

Folks will start doing yoga at their seats and demand gluten free granola snacks at the concession stands if they start playing something like Doomtree. This is football.

semi unrelated but I was happy to hear "North Country" during pregame. I am not a country music fan but that is such a MN anthem and so well done that I can see why it is now being played at all the Twins games as well as Gopher pregame. I hope they keep playing it at that time. There is no audience participation hooks so it doesn't make sense for the break between the 3rd and 4th quarters but I do hope they continue to play it in the minutes leading up to kick off (provided it happens at a time that doesn't step on the band).

If you can find something with appropriate lyrics for a pump-up song then go ahead, but most MN hip-hop is all that "conscious" rap and I don't think it lends itself as well. "Lose Yourself" is not a great song in general but it is perfect for this purpose., though I do think it has now reached the point of being cheesy and overdone.

Personally I say go Wu-Tang and "Bring the Ruckus" !!
Off the top of my head, Atmosphere "Watch Out", P.O.S "Low Light Low Life", or Brother Ali "Fresh Air" all could work. Don't have my iPod with me so will dig a little deeper tonight and get back to you.

Folks will start doing yoga at their seats and demand gluten free granola snacks at the concession stands if they start playing something like Doomtree. This is football.
You're right. More Metallica & Sabbath!

semi unrelated but I was happy to hear "North Country" during pregame. I am not a country music fan but that is such a MN anthem and so well done that I can see why it is now being played at all the Twins games as well as Gopher pregame. I hope they keep playing it at that time. There is no audience participation hooks so it doesn't make sense for the break between the 3rd and 4th quarters but I do hope they continue to play it in the minutes leading up to kick off (provided it happens at a time that doesn't step on the band).
Agreed. Cool song to play before the game. I had never heard it before, so was trying to listen to the lyrics. Thanks for the title.

Since I don't listen to much country, I heard about it late too after someone sent me a You Tube link earlier this summer and from the first time I heard it, I figured it was likely to find its way into the local stadiums. I wonder how many boat/pontoon stereos have belted this song out throughout Minnesota this past summer?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Wk91Om3hs

Agreed. Cool song to play before the game. I had never heard it before, so was trying to listen to the lyrics. Thanks for the title.

+1

Also not a country fan, but the song is appropriate.

As for "Apache," there is absolutely nothing unique about it. That song is played at stadiums across the country. "Jump Around" is the lamest "tradition" in college football, and I would prefer not to see Minnesota go that route.

I am a country fan (I listen to pretty much every type of music, actually), and it really is a good song, but I can't bring myself to like it because Chris Hawkey is the biggest doosh on the planet.

Count me as someone in full favor of Naughty by Nature's "Other People's P*ssy" as our jam.

My son really enjoyed dancing to Apache and its fun to watch the student section & players attempt to do it. Also I agree that they dont need three different songs, sweet caroline is sooo played out.

My son really enjoyed dancing to Apache and its fun to watch the student section & players attempt to do it. Also I agree that they dont need three different songs, sweet caroline is sooo played out.

I don't care what they play: In Section 243, we were treated with an interpretive dance by 3-Old Farts in the middle of the section. It was a thing of beauty!

As long as it pumps up the student section and the players, who cares. Those are the two groups that will have the biggest effect on the field, and thats what matters in the end.

"Lose Yourself" was the first song that I could think of that fit this purpose. Yes, probably is cheesy and overdone, but it's ok censored and can still get you amped. Atmosphere "Trying to Find a Balance" could work for local... But again, if you want it become something to becomes a tradition, then it needs to stand the test of time, and be a song that a fair amount of people know. So you can't just choose the hot song right now. Otherwise I'd go with something like Ludacris - Move B!tch...

+1

Also not a country fan, but the song is appropriate.

As for "Apache," there is absolutely nothing unique about it. That song is played at stadiums across the country. "Jump Around" is the lamest "tradition" in college football, and I would prefer not to see Minnesota go that route.

Yeah, Jump Around is very lame... Why would Wisconsin choose to play a song where the ENTIRE crowd gets up and jumps around and yells when the team is headed into the 4th quarter?

Top Bottom