Student Tickets

MN Gopher Fan

Executive Sports Analyst
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you on here are students. But I was too caught up in the game Saturday to go and get my tickets so I had to wait for today (which is the only other day) to get my tickets and it was a mess, long lines, confusion, and just sucked...If you don't get them today you have to pick them up Saturday before the game. So being conservative and saying 1,000 people got their tickets last saturday, they would have to put through 9,000 people today in 9 hours. That is terrible planning.

I just don't understand how they can't have it set up to pick them up anytime this week instead of making 9,000 students get them on one day.

E-mail maturi at [email protected]. Your question will be answered as he responds to every e-mail.

That said, couldn't you have picked up your tickets prior to Saturday???

The stadium is seemingly perfect. The only process which has sucked is the ticket distribution. Hopefully they will deviate from the buzzer-beater approach next year but perhaps someone within the dept gets a thrill out of pushing the limit.

any word yet on how they are going to handle the student entrance on saturday? is there going to be scanners? i know some of my friends that are recent grads are coming up that have bought student section tickets from gopher ticket exchange on facebook for just this game. as long as they have their U cards will they be ok?

students get to the game early

I would hate to see 5000 students stuck outside the stadium because they waiting until the last minute.

Please students get through your long lines early -- we need you right from the start

This is incorrect

I don't know how many of you on here are students. But I was too caught up in the game Saturday to go and get my tickets so I had to wait for today (which is the only other day) to get my tickets and it was a mess, long lines, confusion, and just sucked...If you don't get them today you have to pick them up Saturday before the game. So being conservative and saying 1,000 people got their tickets last saturday, they would have to put through 9,000 people today in 9 hours. That is terrible planning.

I just don't understand how they can't have it set up to pick them up anytime this week instead of making 9,000 students get them on one day.

I just asked one of my friends at the U in Marketing, and she said this is absolutely not true. You can start picking them up today (Tuesday) and anytime after this. So no worries...there won't be 9000K in a mad dash to pick them up on Saturday!

any word yet on how they are going to handle the student entrance on saturday? is there going to be scanners? i know some of my friends that are recent grads are coming up that have bought student section tickets from gopher ticket exchange on facebook for just this game. as long as they have their U cards will they be ok?

you know the saying: both buyer AND seller beware.

p.s. is gopher ticket exchange a U of M affiliated site or something that someone created on their own? never heard of it. i only ask because if i was a recent grad i wouldn't be taking my chances buying potentially "useless" student section tickets in the way you explained considering subsidized student tickets are supposed to only be for current students (not "recent" grads) with current student U of M student ID's, not "recent" student ID's.

i know some want really badly to try and skirt the system, but all of the rules/policies around subsidized student tickets for current students are spelled out very clearly in various locations online, etc. so frankly, if non-students who try to skirt the student ticket system are not able to use a student ticket they purchased through whatever means, i am NOT going to feel one bit sorry for them. if you are not a student then it is time to spend the money and buy regular general admission tickets like the rest of us and leave the students tickets to the students.

the whole ticket thing today was ridiculous i was in line for over an hour. i went today because of an e-mail that was sent to all the student ticket holders that states the only day to get tickets is today (tues) unless you got them on sat for the sneak-peak thing or go get them during game day.

I waited over an hour and a half in line to get my tickets today. Hope the wait will be well worth it come Saturday.

the whole ticket thing today was ridiculous i was in line for over an hour. i went today because of an e-mail that was sent to all the student ticket holders that states the only day to get tickets is today (tues) unless you got them on sat for the sneak-peak thing or go get them during game day.

If that's true about the e-mail, then you should send and e-mail to Maturi or the ticket office to tell them. I'm guessing it may have been a poorly worded e-mail because it doesn't make sense they would refuse to distribute tickets Tuesday-Friday of game week.

err, i must have read it too fast. it says "starting on Tuesday, Sept. 8th." i think i was too excited to see when i could finally get my tickets to read it carefully. oh well lol.

If that's true about the e-mail, then you should send and e-mail to Maturi or the ticket office to tell them. I'm guessing it may have been a poorly worded e-mail because it doesn't make sense they would refuse to distribute tickets Tuesday-Friday of game week.

try the ticket office. do we really need to waste maturi's time with a ticket office question?! i am sure his hands are full enough as it is you know being the athletic director and all.

okay.....i will quit sounding like your dad now! ;)

that was the dumest set up, i dont even know where to begin. How after this much planning does the person in charge think "yeah this is the best plan by far"?? they divided the students into a bunch of lines according to last names. Kids with Z's waited like 2 min but others just got screwed. what i dont get is how they dont have this all set up computer wise at the ticket office

Oh...I didn't notice the "starting" also...I'm pretty sure at least half of the crowd thought today was the only day also because a lot of people we kind of freaking. Then 10 minutes before 6 they came out and said you could come any other day. To me the wording in that e-mail could've been a little better by saying you can pick you you tickets, anyday this week from 9-6 so that us excited fans don't miss 1 word and think today was the only day making it hell out there.

As for the admission thing, i don't know if anyone said anything already, but Saturday they just looked at the U-card so if you have a valid U-card you should be good to go.

that was the dumest set up, i dont even know where to begin. How after this much planning does the person in charge think "yeah this is the best plan by far"?? they divided the students into a bunch of lines according to last names. Kids with Z's waited like 2 min but others just got screwed. what i dont get is how they dont have this all set up computer wise at the ticket office

First of all, Bronko, you're right, we don't need to e-mail Maturi with every little thing, but in my opinion, it's better than coming on here and complaining about a problem that, well, actually didn't turn out to be a problem. Nobody on this board could have solved it anyway.

As far as the post above, I'm pretty sure it has to do with needing to verify student registration for Fall classes. Believe me, they haven't done this with any rigor in the past, so it makes some sense that there are kinks to be worked out. They should have planned for the crowds of students better, no doubt.

they divided the students into a bunch of lines according to last names. Kids with Z's waited like 2 min but others just got screwed.

If your last name started with a Z like mine does, you would get screwed all the time. One of the perks is the rarity of a Z last name - makes it easy to find name tags and register/pick up things.

there will be no swiping. i talked to a rep at the ticket booth at the fair and they said all you have to do it show your student id as you go in. they are going to be trying to get people in as fast as possible so i cant imagine that they are going to really take a ton of time checking the ids or anything. just like hockey games

I still like it though, i cant see students giving away their U-card to a stranger so that they can get into the games. especially since it can be used to buy things on campus and such.

This is absolutely wrong. This is a segment of an email I got that was sent to all student ticket holders.

"Tickets can also be picked up starting on Tuesday, Sept. 8th at the
Mariucci Arena Ticket Office located in the East Lobby of Mariucci
Arena, the ticket office is open from 9 am to 6 pm.

All tickets and t-shirts will be at TCF Bank Stadium for pick up on
Sept. 12th if you can't make it to one of the listed locations before
the first game."

there will be no swiping. i talked to a rep at the ticket booth at the fair and they said all you have to do it show your student id as you go in. they are going to be trying to get people in as fast as possible so i cant imagine that they are going to really take a ton of time checking the ids or anything. just like hockey games

YES!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I'm only a year out of school, and when I was expecting the department to allow recent grads to buy student tix for a few years like they always have, you can imagine the shock I was in when I saw they changed plans! I'm just so glad my old roommate is a grad student there now.

I agree that there shouldn't be opposing fans or people too many years removed from college at the U in the student section, but Bronko needs to lighten up. As long as you own a U card that's not too old, I believe you deserve the tickets you've been promised you could get for the last 4 or 5 years.

YES!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I'm only a year out of school, and when I was expecting the department to allow recent grads to buy student tix for a few years like they always have, you can imagine the shock I was in when I saw they changed plans! I'm just so glad my old roommate is a grad student there now.

I agree that there shouldn't be opposing fans or people too many years removed from college at the U in the student section, but Bronko needs to lighten up. As long as you own a U card that's not too old, I believe you deserve the tickets you've been promised you could get for the last 4 or 5 years.

Normally, I would say that student tickets should only be used by current students. But one very important factor needs to be taken into account.... if you are only a year out of school, then you paid the mandatory student stadium fees for a couple years at least. That entitles you the right to try to skirt the process this year, IMO.

Normally, I would say that student tickets should only be used by current students. But one very important factor needs to be taken into account.... if you are only a year out of school, then you paid the mandatory student stadium fees for a couple years at least. That entitles you the right to try to skirt the process this year, IMO.

Well, just to let people know, I fully plan on buying regular season tickets next year if I can. I tried so hard to get these tickets now that it almost wasn't worth it, but after paying the stadium fees and originally being promised to be able to buy them, their change of plans literally made me feel like I got punched in the stomach.

I needed those tickets. For the opener, if nothing else.

I'm stoked for Saturday.

I was under the impression that students graduating before the stadium opened (Spring 09 and back) didn’t pay the fees for the stadium. In fact, I had my girlfriend, and 2 other friends who graduated in May look at their bills for Fall 08 -Spring 09 and none of them had the stadium fees on it. My girlfriend’s younger brother is a sophomore at the U (this year, fresh last year) and he was paying both semesters.

I was under the impression that students graduating before the stadium opened (Spring 09 and back) didn’t pay the fees for the stadium. In fact, I had my girlfriend, and 2 other friends who graduated in May look at their bills for Fall 08 -Spring 09 and none of them had the stadium fees on it. My girlfriend’s younger brother is a sophomore at the U (this year, fresh last year) and he was paying both semesters.

hey......don't tell buddylee that! ;)

As long as you own a U card that's not too old, I believe you deserve the tickets you've been promised you could get for the last 4 or 5 years.

I'm not sure anyone ever promised you that you would get tickets. In fact, I highly doubt it. The practice in the past was to allow recent grads to buy tickets, but I don't think it was ever guaranteed to continue.

That said, I'm glad they're being somewhat reasonable about the scanning thing. It would take forever to scan 10k cards every game.

I'm not sure anyone ever promised you that you would get tickets. In fact, I highly doubt it. The practice in the past was to allow recent grads to buy tickets, but I don't think it was ever guaranteed to continue.

That said, I'm glad they're being somewhat reasonable about the scanning thing. It would take forever to scan 10k cards every game.

How would this take longer than presenting the ID? Penn State doesn't even issue paper tickets anymore. The ticket info is tied directly to the student ID. So they're swiping in approx 25,000 students each game without issue.

actually a friend of mine just went and picked up her tickets and she asked, and they told her that they are in fact scanning..... take it for what its worth

Wow, for the students out there what do you think of the student shirts? My lady got one... and it was yesterday and they only had larges left so I got it. While it's a pretty cool shirt with a decent almost dri-fit/UA type fabric (gold - "Stadium Village, now with Stadium") the fit is a disaster. I normally fit a large just fine and this one I do in the shoulders, but the sleeves don't taper at all and is massively long. So bad that I might cut the long sleeves off.

To make matters a little more frustrating is when she went yesterday there were only a few Ls left and the rest XLs and XXLs. There are going to be thousands of frustrated students if there isn't another shipment. Females looking for smalls and mediums will be swimming in Ls.

Not at all trying to be a downer, and if someone has heard otherwise about the situation pass it on. Rather, a little frustrated that the first go at shirts in the new student section might be a bit of a mess.

I managed to get ahold of tickets (no, they are not student tickets). They will be waiting for me at Will Call. Anyone have any idea if there will be a long line at Will Call?

Yeah I went and got my tickets yesterday and ran into the same problem with shirts. I went right when they opened so they obviously think our student body is massively fat or something to run out of smalls and mediums in a day (I wanted a medium). Anyway, I tried it on and the sleeves completely cover my hands and it goes down almost to the middle of my thigh, this is a disaster.

Top Bottom