Student Tickets Check I.D.?

Gdizzle

Reaction score
Does anyone know if last year they checked student I.D.'s upon entrance to games? I have my own set but I'm seeing if I can get a friend to come to a game with me.

At the beginning of the season, yes. But during the big games (MSU, Wisc., OSU, etc), that damn entry way room was so crowded that when they opened the doors, people kind of just shot through and there was absolutely no way they could check them without causing a riot.

Every Year

OK, I will try to be open minded here.

Every year someone posts the question about whether or not they are checking student IDs. Can someone please explain why as a long time season ticket holder why this shouldn't piss me off? I have paid full freight for nearly 15 years and am anticipating additional expenses when they "re-seat" the arena. Yet, the board, year after year, cordially responds to those who want to pay less than full price or sneak a buddy in who is not a student. I am in favor of a full arena but would like to see those in the arena to pay their fair share. Please provide clarity.

With a higher demand, this will get tighter. Expect to have to show a Ucard upon entry. This being said, if you are not a U student, buy a regular price ticket. There is no reason a non student should be trying to screw the system.

Every year someone posts the question about whether or not they are checking student IDs. Can someone please explain why as a long time season ticket holder why this shouldn't piss me off? I have paid full freight for nearly 15 years and am anticipating additional expenses when they "re-seat" the arena. Yet, the board, year after year, cordially responds to those who want to pay less than full price or sneak a buddy in who is not a student. I am in favor of a full arena but would like to see those in the arena to pay their fair share. Please provide clarity.

We aren't talking about 45 year old men skating by on student tickets, people who ask this question and asking for Gopher fans who go to area colleges, or are recent graduates. If kid fresh out of school, not making much money wants to bum season tickets from a current student who doesn't want to go to games, why should we care?

I am a student and have always had to show a u card upon entering. The only way I have brought non student friends is that my parents have regular season tickets and I give them to a friend (who just sits in the student section) but yes. They always checked my u card upon entry last year, I'd imagine it'll be the same this year. Student tickets are cheaper for the students. I can understand Why a regular ticket holder would be upset at a non student getting this price.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am a student with student tickets. And yes, I am trying to get a friend to come see a game with me who is not a student.

scher, can you sit in the student section with a regular ticket? If so, then this problem is solved. I wasn't going to have my friend buy a regular ticket and not sit next to me.

Different perspective...for a number of years I worked for a large local retailer. One of the considerations in setting price was how much of the product was going to leave the store without anyone paying for it (employee or customer theft). There is no doubt that retail prices are higher to the many because of the few that take without paying. It is the same when a non-student enters the arena on a ticket intended for the student. Not only is there a student that is now deprived of getting a ticket...there is potentially a full priced ticket that didn't get sold. As a result, all other (full price) tickets bear the burden...and please spare me the "I'm just out of college and have no money" story. The economy is tough for the young, the middle aged and the old.

Different perspective...for a number of years I worked for a large local retailer. One of the considerations in setting price was how much of the product was going to leave the store without anyone paying for it (employee or customer theft). There is no doubt that retail prices are higher to the many because of the few that take without paying. It is the same when a non-student enters the arena on a ticket intended for the student. Not only is there a student that is now deprived of getting a ticket...there is potentially a full priced ticket that didn't get sold. As a result, all other (full price) tickets bear the burden...and please spare me the "I'm just out of college and have no money" story. The economy is tough for the young, the middle aged and the old.

These student tickets are going unused, why can't a student, who paid for the ticket, resell it to someone else? You want someone to eat their ticket because they can't find another student to sell it to?

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am a student with student tickets. And yes, I am trying to get a friend to come see a game with me who is not a student.

scher, can you sit in the student section with a regular ticket? If so, then this problem is solved. I wasn't going to have my friend buy a regular ticket and not sit next to me.

absolutely. They don't check getting into the section, just the door what ticket you have. Their are older fans who like the student section atmosphere better and will often see them sitting in it. I have had friends on many occasions use my parents season tickets to get in the door and then sit in the student section.

I personally think it is really nice that this is allowed to happen, gives fans who like the atmosphere of the student section the chance to sit there without being a student.

My guess is that those games that have "unused" student tickets also have "unused" public tickets which would generate revenue for the U. But let's say not...then the only games we would need to check student IDs would be sold out games like Bucky, Sparty, etc...or do we assume that students are "on their honor" and would not smuggle non-students into those high demand games.

Keep in mind, without some sneaking in - you'd have our Football student section. They decided to crack down, and sold what - 7000 our of the 10000 of the tickets? I can see it both ways, personally, I had student tickets for a good 10 years (most of those were legit with grad school) and the demand was very low. I got everyone I could to get student tickets, and it still wasn't sold out. Personally, as a fan, I think it looks pathetic when a 50K person university can't sell out a 2200 person student section, I'd rather see anyone in there, to fill it up. If the demand increases, then crack down - no doubt students should get 1st dibs, it's their school.

Another issue is we have no program for recent grads to ease into tickets. I don't know many kids that graduate at 22 and can afford $600 for a ticket. That's a HUGE price jump from student tickets, and I say give them 2nd dibs on tickets. They are the ones that stand up, cheer, and many have been supporting the program for their 4 years.

Top Bottom