Student ticket sales

50,000 is a misleading number since we have a very large graduate enrollment (being in a big metro area) as well as continuing education "students" who are taking a single course here or there.

http://www.oir.umn.edu/student/enrollment/term/1109/current/11926

Only 30,519 at the TC campus in 2010 were undergrads.

Now, let's be serious, you would think 1 out of every 3 students would be keen on buying season tickets at a whopping $92 after fee (and that includes a free shirt) even if they ONLY go to the Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska games. No excuses when the entertainment is so cheap.

Clearly, we have to win for it to be the "cool thing to do" on campus.

You're right, but grad students also get student ticket prices. Granted some of them won't care about football...but it'd be nice.

If I'm a freshman coming to the U, football is not going to be a big selling point due to years of stagnation. TCF is mainly going to be a locale where I can attempt to find someone to mate with and have an excuse to get piss drunk on a Saturday morning/afternoon. I remember enrolling at UM Duluth in '05 and hearing nothing from the athletic department but how important it was to stand in line for 24 hours for hockey tickets, and the hockey team sucked at the time. Football games there were graveyards outside of homecoming. Now UMD football is getting good pub and has an excellent following for a D2 school because it's had some stellar success. The same will go for the U. It will always be a hockey school until we show some tenacity and winning ways.

I'm not saying we need to win national titles, but we all remember Michigan in '03. We need to get to those big games with some steam, and we need to win. Consistent 8 and 9+ win seasons will put us where we want to be, and when we are hopefully there in the future, we can have some gripe sessions on how they want to expand the student section and how we already have to deal with enough of the drunk a$$holes. :D

Not true. They have been moving in all week, and when I went to the bookstore to buy something for my son yesterday, it was mobbed with hundreds of kids buying books, supplies, etc.

Like I said later, the incoming freshmen that I know just moved in today.

Don't you need a student ID in order to use student tickets? How can students sell their tickets to non students.

If the Big Ten campus was in Duluth, Rochester, Winona, or Northfield the student section would be rocking.

Even if the freshman hadn't moved in until today, that means 7,000 freshman are going to buy the remaining tickets? How they only have 3000 sold is disgusting for B1G football. It's three days before the opener with a new coach, and Iowa, Wisky, and Nebraska all at home.

I don't know what they need to do to get the student section energized, (besides win) but they better figure it out quickly.

I got 4 complimentary tickets to the Miami of Ohio game for working at Goldy's Run. They are in Section 230, which on the map is the student section. They are obviously freeing up these seats to the general public.

Poor students should just go back to their sedentary lifestyles and hit the video games. I have zero sympathy for them. Zero. How about a little school spirit. Pride in your university anyone?

I got 4 complimentary tickets to the Miami of Ohio game for working at Goldy's Run. They are in Section 230, which on the map is the student section. They are obviously freeing up these seats to the general public.

Poor students should just go back to their sedentary lifestyles and hit the video games. I have zero sympathy for them. Zero. How about a little school spirit. Pride in your university anyone?

There are a lot of people that don't care about sports. It doesn't matter to them if the team represents their school or not, sports just don't matter. Also the majority of them don't like video games either. Get off your high horse.

Some people on this board seem to have connections in the ticket office. Has anyone heard any confirmed numbers yet?

Let's see now...badger joel macturi is in charge of the athletic department...

he calls the shots...he pulls the strings...

All that happens within the athletic departments at the U of M is under the direction of bjm.

WHY would any of you be surprised that TCF BANK STADIUM student ticket sales would be the subject of your concern when badger joel macturi is running the show?

I don't know how this student section ticket sales situation will play out? when it comes to revenue sports programs at the U, bjm always drops the ball. He has certainly squandered the first years of the "honeymoon" that TCF BANK STADIUM should have provided.

MAYBE he forgot that students ticket sales are a part of any kind of sporting event at the Univesity of Minnesota. How many students buy tickets to the non-revenue and Title IX games? badger joel macturi wants to insure that the revenue sports ticket sales to students are equal to the non-revenue sports and Title IX student ticket sales.

Way to go badger joel macturi...

prexy k: what the "H" are you waiting for...pull the plug on badger joel macturi NOW!

; 0 )

NEVER believe a word an administrator at the U of M says when they start talking about having a "committment" to competing in the Big Ten Football Conference. All they want to do is to show up and collect the check that the Conference pays out to each member school. They fire coaches who have a chance to succeed: Bierman, Warmath, Stoll and Mason. lou hoax ditched everyone in Minnesota for South Bend. And...they bring in and retain athletic directors like badger joel macturi. He has been here since 2002 and the revenue sports teams have suffered under his direction.

Gopher Football since 1967 has reflected specifically exactly what the prexys and athletic directors and the Board of Regents has wanted it to reflect.

badger joel macturi is the worst of the worst of the athletic directors who have presided over the post 1967 Golden Gopher Football journey. Gopher Football has been exactly what the administrators have wanted Gopher Football to be.

; 0 (

Yeah....everyone needs to calm the hell down about the students not going to games. I didn't get season tickets till my junior year (following the PSU upset in 99). I considered myself a fan even before I had season tickets, but when you're 19 years old and on your own for the first time, there are a lot more appealing ways to spend your Saturday than spending 4 hours and a chunk of your limited funds to watch a horrible football team get its ass handed to it by your rivals week after week. (Granted, in my day the sacrifice also included waking up at an ungodly hour and finding a way downtown for an 11 am kickoff, but the jist of the point remains valid.)

Now that I'm past 30 , I have nothing better to do with my time than obsess over a mediocre (at best) football team, but you can't expect the same of 20,000 college students. Show a little life on the field, and they'll show up. Even the 'best' fan bases in the world stay home when the product is bad enough. Don't put the cart before the horse here.

The only reason I want Maturi to lose his job is so wren has nothing else to complain about.

The fact the Mason coached team in 2006 had a student section of 10K to 11K behind them in the awful metrodome is astounding. At least they were able to see Indiana go go Down 55-14 and Iowa lose made it worth it.

Brewster did a great deal of damage to this program.

My understanding is that they have been selling student tickets to teh general public for single game orders.

If the Big Ten campus was in Duluth, Rochester, Winona, or Northfield the student section would be rocking.

There aren't nearly enough people in those places to support a Big Ten football program -- sorry.

Yeah....everyone needs to calm the hell down about the students not going to games. I didn't get season tickets till my junior year (following the PSU upset in 99). I considered myself a fan even before I had season tickets, but when you're 19 years old and on your own for the first time, there are a lot more appealing ways to spend your Saturday than spending 4 hours and a chunk of your limited funds to watch a horrible football team get its ass handed to it by your rivals week after week. (Granted, in my day the sacrifice also included waking up at an ungodly hour and finding a way downtown for an 11 am kickoff, but the jist of the point remains valid.)

Now that I'm past 30 , I have nothing better to do with my time than obsess over a mediocre (at best) football team, but you can't expect the same of 20,000 college students. Show a little life on the field, and they'll show up. Even the 'best' fan bases in the world stay home when the product is bad enough. Don't put the cart before the horse here.

I'm only going to slightly disagree, because I also don't think we should put the cart before the horse. With a new coach and a still-new on-campus stadium, I can't think of a lot more appealing way to spend your Saturday. Studying maybe? Mall of America? Getting drunk in the dorms? Throwing the frisbee around?

I'm about the same age you are, and I went to college in the Twin Cities but not at the U. For four years I took the bus to almost every Gopher basketball and football home game, because I was raised a Gopher fan and I thought it was an awesome way to spend an afternoon or evening. That was my biggest discretionary expense in college. I don't want a pat on the back or anything, but I will say I'm surprised that the support is not there, even following the bad Brewster years. Mason's teams ripped the heart out the fanbase over and over again, but as people have mentioned the Student Section in the stank-ass Dome was rockin' pretty much right up until he got the boot.

Maybe next week they will have a few more thousand tickets sold and this will all be a moot point...

There are a lot of people that don't care about sports. It doesn't matter to them if the team represents their school or not, sports just don't matter. Also the majority of them don't like video games either. Get off your high horse.

Thanks for your deep analysis of the situation. I'm sticking to my take that Minnesota student participation is downright embarrasing, and I'm tired of excuses as to why they don't attend. They are not representing their school. By the way, it's happening in my family. My daughter didn't want to attend games even when I offered to buy her tickets. She said it was because none of her friends would go with her. Pathetic. Rather sit around and polish their toenails or something.

The fact the Mason coached team in 2006 had a student section of 10K to 11K behind them in the awful metrodome is astounding. At least they were able to see Indiana go go Down 55-14 and Iowa lose made it worth it.

Brewster did a great deal of damage to this program.

Four words: Beer at the Hump

Make that six words:

Beer at the hump Barber Maroney

I'm only going to slightly disagree, because I also don't think we should put the cart before the horse. With a new coach and a still-new on-campus stadium, I can't think of a lot more appealing way to spend your Saturday. Studying maybe? Mall of America? Getting drunk in the dorms? Throwing the frisbee around?

I'm about the same age you are, and I went to college in the Twin Cities but not at the U. For four years I took the bus to almost every Gopher basketball and football home game, because I was raised a Gopher fan and I thought it was an awesome way to spend an afternoon or evening. That was my biggest discretionary expense in college. I don't want a pat on the back or anything, but I will say I'm surprised that the support is not there, even following the bad Brewster years. Mason's teams ripped the heart out the fanbase over and over again, but as people have mentioned the Student Section in the stank-ass Dome was rockin' pretty much right up until he got the boot.

Maybe next week they will have a few more thousand tickets sold and this will all be a moot point...

I wonder if that is true for most of the students/freshmen. Either non football fans or maybe just Viking fans. Many of their parents would be mid 40's or younger and the Vikes have been the #1 sports team during that time period.

Make that six words:

Beer at the hump Barber Maroney

Agree, even watered down beer attracts the students. I remember after we beat Alabama we were in the bar at the Marriott with several other Gopher fans and this Bama guy approaches and says: " With two backs like you have I can't believe the small amount of people that follow your team. Hell, at halftime that is all we talked about" ( Barber and Maroney) One thing about the South. They know football, appreciate college football, and follow their teams through hell or high water. If ever a State needed an enama in fan support regarding the Gophers it is Minnesota.

This would be a nice tidy response if it were not for two pesky issues...

1) Whenever this argument comes up people start throwing around generic terms like "horrible football team get its ass handed to it by your rivals week after week" as if it has been 30 straight years of 0-12 football. I will be the first to say the Gophers haven't been as good as I'd like them to be but they also haven't been as bad as the generic failure terms that are thrown as a blanket every time people try to excuse the tiny student section. There have been a couple tough home years recently ('07, '10) but most of the last 10 or 15 years have ranged between mediocre to decent, with only the Brewster years flirting with "horrible". And... I have learned the Brewster years are over. Now that there is a great on campus stadium and a new coach you'd think the student section would at least hold its own rather than shrink to this astoundingly small size.

2) Let's assume I'm wrong on #1. How does the Gopher student section compare to other college football programs that have been mired in a similar run of mid to low conference finishes? Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue all have 3K (if that's the number) in their student sections too.

College kids have a lot of pressures and a lack of money... but that is true at EVERY college (even the middle of the standings mediocre MIAC schools where the student sections will start to rival the size of the group at the Bank if these numbers are anywhere close after all is said and done).

I think that is a big part of this issue. Because of this (outside of a few raised Gopher fans) there has to be a compelling reason for the other students to attend the games. Starting with a party atmosphere and winning in no particular order. Neither of which have been prevalent in recent years.

Money is an asinine excuse for not buy student tickets. After service fees, they cost $91. Many students will blow that much in a weekend at the bar. Anyone who even utters money as a reason is simply lying and using it as an excuse for whatever their real reason is.

Thanks for your deep analysis of the situation. I'm sticking to my take that Minnesota student participation is downright embarrasing, and I'm tired of excuses as to why they don't attend. They are not representing their school. By the way, it's happening in my family. My daughter didn't want to attend games even when I offered to buy her tickets. She said it was because none of her friends would go with her. Pathetic. Rather sit around and polish their toenails or something.

Can you divorce your own kids? I'd look into that option dude. =P

the fact that games at the dome often started at 8 was probably also a factor in getting students to come

College students will often sit around complaining about being bored rather than get up and do something. Not because there isn't anything to do, there's lots of things to do at most colleges. As you said, if he friends aren't doing it, she won't either. If her friends were going to the games, so would she. They aren't making a rational calculation, they aren't saying "The football team isn't doing well, so I won't go to the game." They aren't going because it isn't seen as an event, they look around them and mimic the attitudes of those around them.

The tricky part is how to change those attitudes. Winning helps, sure. But the more you can engage the fraternities, sororities and other student groups, the more it will be seen as an event, and the more eager students will be to attend.

College students will often sit around complaining about being bored rather than get up and do something. Not because there isn't anything to do, there's lots of things to do at most colleges. As you said, if he friends aren't doing it, she won't either. If her friends were going to the games, so would she. They aren't making a rational calculation, they aren't saying "The football team isn't doing well, so I won't go to the game." They aren't going because it isn't seen as an event, they look around them and mimic the attitudes of those around them.

The tricky part is how to change those attitudes. Winning helps, sure. But the more you can engage the fraternities, sororities and other student groups, the more it will be seen as an event, and the more eager students will be to attend.[/QUOTE]

Have the Greeks make a student ticket purchase a requirement to go through rush.

Alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa, lamda, mu, nu, xi , omicron, phi, rho, sigma, tau, upsilon, phi, ki, psi, omega. (sp may be off).:)

Top Bottom