Student ticket sales

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
This is somewhat beating a dead horse, but I was wondering if anyone could corroborate this from today's Phil Miller chat:

Comment From Concerned
Phil is Jason LaFrenz going to be fired soon with only 3,000 students buying tickets?
1:16

Phil Miller:
Surprised there isn't more enthusiasm among the students, but the previous four years obviously did some damage.

Really, only 3,000 tickets sold?

If that's the case, then would the U sell the entire upper deck student section as single game tickets?

Classes don't start until the 6th, right? A lot of students aren't even in the cities yet.

And that's a horrible cheap shot at Jason. He's a hell of a good guy, and the U is lucky to have him.

If it is anywhere near 3K... that would be near-MIAC levels for students at the games. I was thinking the later starts (compared to the majority 11:00 AM kickoffs) would help students actually get to the games this year. Yikes.

If true, Brewster got us back to the Wacker era.

Let the students actually get on campus first. I know freshmen first arrived today.

If the number is true then there shouldn't be a deadline. Perhaps they will pick up a couple of thousand after the Gophers knock off USC....

Let the students actually get on campus first. I know freshmen first arrived today.

I believe freshmen started moving in two days ago actually. I moved in yesterday, and there are still people moving in today, but today is the last day that freshmen are moving in.

Badger fans reporting that....

they are getting tickets in the student section. I wouldn't doubt it when you consider our marketing department. They're not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

After the turds that have been floating on the field for the past 4 years, I wouldn't be surprised if we barely hit 6,000. The average student isn't as passionate as we posters are.

I think the home schedule is really awesome, though. There will, unfortunately, be lots of red in the crowd...........

If true, Brewster got us back to the Wacker era.

Brewster hasn't been around for quite awhile, Dipsh*t. And the Second Coming has been featured (twice) in every newspaper in Minnesota for quite some time. There are going to be no excuses this year on the field or in the stands. You can take that to The Bank.

I believe freshmen started moving in two days ago actually. I moved in yesterday, and there are still people moving in today, but today is the last day that freshmen are moving in.
I know the people from my high school class that are attending the U didn't move in until today.

Got an email today as to when I can pick up my student tickets. This note was also in the email.

"New this year, you will be receiving a season card similar to the way basketball and hockey season tickets are done. This wallet sized card will get you in to each home football game this season."

I think this will curb the number of opposing fans in our student section. In the past, a student could pawn off their individual ticket stub to whoever. Now, I don't think students will be as willing to sell a "ticket" to a stranger as they would have to put in the effort to get back their "ticket" for the next game.

Brewster hasn't been around for quite awhile, Dipsh*t. And the Second Coming has been featured (twice) in every newspaper in Minnesota for quite some time. There are going to be no excuses this year on the field or in the stands. You can take that to The Bank.

One thing that is certain is that the students lost faith in this team during the Brewster era. Some newspaper articles aren't going to turn that around all by themselves.

Don't know how badger fans would be getting student tickets, you cannot pick them up until tuesday so they would not already have them. Also, the U also seems to be trying to eliminate a secondary market for student tickets. From the email about student ticket pickup that I got:

"New this year, you will be receiving a season card similar to the way basketball and hockey season tickets are done. This wallet sized card will get you in to each home football game this season."

Haven't gotten basketball or hockey tickets before so I can't say I know exactly how this system works (someone who knows better how this works could chime in), but it seems like this would make it impossible to sell/exchange tickets.

So you still don't like the Kill hire? It took Mason quite a few years to get the Student section to 10,000 and he was aided by the new stadium hype. Brewster's on field product killed all of that. Kill is starting all over, take that to The Bank.

It's still very possible to sell the ticket, you just have to not care that you'll lose it. I could see students going to the first several home games and then selling for Wisconsin for $60, not caring if they go to that or Illinois. They get to go to five home games, and come out only $30 down (season tickets are $91 this year).

Don't know how badger fans would be getting student tickets, you cannot pick them up until tuesday so they would not already have them.
I think they are saying they have assigned seats in what was the student section last year. If there are 3,000 tickets sold, they are not going to hold 7,000 when they can sell them and a non-conference game now.

I'm not too worried about them. The sparkle of TheBank is wearing off for most students, along with the product on the field (there was only one win at home last year) is sub-par at best. Coach Kill is starting over. I'm aware and have accepted that, and I think it would be best for everyone else's blood pressure if they did as well.

Yes, it sucks. It will be ok down the road.

It's still very possible to sell the ticket, you just have to not care that you'll lose it. I could see students going to the first several home games and then selling for Wisconsin for $60, not caring if they go to that or Illinois. They get to go to five home games, and come out only $30 down (season tickets are $91 this year).

I still think students that sell their tickets to opposing fanbases (especially Iowa/Wisky) should be sodomized and/or castrated. Ok, that's extreme, but you get my point. Don't buy the flooping tickets if that's what you are going to do.

I still think students that sell their tickets to opposing fanbases (especially Iowa/Wisky) should be sodomized and/or castrated. Ok, that's extreme, but you get my point. Don't buy the flooping tickets if that's what you are going to do.

100% agreed.

And good post prior, as well. The #1 thing that needs to happen to right the ship, is to win.

Didn't they also remove two sections from the upper deck student section and start selling them to the general public?

Not true. They have been moving in all week, and when I went to the bookstore to buy something for my son yesterday, it was mobbed with hundreds of kids buying books, supplies, etc.

I'm not too worried about them. The sparkle of TheBank is wearing off for most students, along with the product on the field (there was only one win at home last year) is sub-par at best. Coach Kill is starting over. I'm aware and have accepted that, and I think it would be best for everyone else's blood pressure if they did as well.

Yes, it sucks. It will be ok down the road.

This. It's too bad that a campus of 50,000 students can't turn 20% of them out to a football game, but until there are more regular wins, it won't be as much fun, and until it's fun, they won't be snapping up tickets.

This. It's too bad that a campus of 50,000 students can't turn 20% of them out to a football game, but until there are more regular wins, it won't be as much fun, and until it's fun, they won't be snapping up tickets.

If they only allowed alcohol at the stadium! Kidding, continue with the thread.

50,000 is a misleading number since we have a very large graduate enrollment (being in a big metro area) as well as continuing education "students" who are taking a single course here or there.

http://www.oir.umn.edu/student/enrollment/term/1109/current/11926

Only 30,519 at the TC campus in 2010 were undergrads.

Now, let's be serious, you would think 1 out of every 3 students would be keen on buying season tickets at a whopping $92 after fee (and that includes a free shirt) even if they ONLY go to the Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska games. No excuses when the entertainment is so cheap.

Clearly, we have to win for it to be the "cool thing to do" on campus.

Classes don't start until the 6th, right? A lot of students aren't even in the cities yet.

And that's a horrible cheap shot at Jason. He's a hell of a good guy, and the U is lucky to have him.

THIS. a number of students aren't on campus yet. anyone else freaking out to the contrary should probably settle down.

and i know the OP wasn't necessarily doing this in his post or purporting it, but i wouldn't immediately take a blurb someone decides to post on a star tribune live chat as religion/truth. i mean they let d-bag iowee hogeye fans like pantherhawk post there for goodness sake! :pig:

Got an email today as to when I can pick up my student tickets. This note was also in the email.

I think this will curb the number of opposing fans in our student section. In the past, a student could pawn off their individual ticket stub to whoever. Now, I don't think students will be as willing to sell a "ticket" to a stranger as they would have to put in the effort to get back their "ticket" for the next game.

i think this is great and i am glad that will be the approach the U is using with student football tickets now. even if it means until the gophers start winning more that there may be fewer student season tickets sold (due to it being much harder to now craig's list, ebay or stubhub a student season ticket when you don't have an individual ticket stub for each and every home game).

i don't think it is right and i think that it is anti-minnesotan and anti-U of M if some students are/were buying student season tickets simply as an investment vehicle as though they are ticket brokers.

Freshmen could not move in until today. 2000 student tickets are held back for incoming Freshmen. We'll see what happens.

Top Bottom