Student Section - Student Perspective

cfield23

Reaction score
Possibly the most annoying/untrue thing posted on GopherHole is when people post about how the students don't get into it until we "need" to.

Here are a few examples why this is completely wrong and ridiculous.

1) When students start "Lets Go Gophers" or "Go Gophers Go" or "Defense! Defense!"... it gains much support from students but NO support from the rest of the fans!

2) The students constantly yell "OOOHHHHH" and do the "raise the roof" motion which is met by a couple of claps (if lucky) by the old fans...

3) The student section is 1/4 of the lower level and 0/4th of the upper level. (Granted I know that there are more lower level seats than upper level)... but the students make up somewhere between 1/8 and 1/7 of the total attendance.... therefore when we're really loud, imagine how loud the barn would be if the other 7/8 or 6/7 gave a $hit. (See Purdue last year)

I yelled my @$$ off the entire game and will be hoarse as a result for the following days, unlike the other "fans" who shoveled popcorn in their mouth and gave the occasional clap here and there.

It's beyond ludicrous that this board (mainly a few a$$holes) begin to bash the students when the gophs lose... way to create a scapegoat... way to assume no responsibility...

Maybe next time, people will give a crap and the barn will actually be a "home field advantage"...

Possibly the most annoying/untrue thing posted on GopherHole is when people post about how the students don't get into it until we "need" to.

1) When students start "Lets Go Gophers" or "Go Gophers Go" or "Defense! Defense!"... it gains much support from students but NO support from the rest of the fans!

2) The students constantly yell "OOOHHHHH" and do the "raise the roof" motion which is met by a couple of claps (if lucky) by the old fans...

3) The student section is 1/4 of the lower level and 0/4th of the upper level. (Granted I know that there are more lower level seats than upper level)... but the students make up somewhere between 1/8 and 1/7 of the total attendance.... therefore when we're really loud, imagine how loud the barn would be if the other 7/8 or 6/7 gave a $hit. (See Purdue last year)

I yelled my @$$ off the entire game and will be hoarse as a result for the following days, unlike the other "fans" who shoveled popcorn in their mouth and gave the occasional clap here and there.

It's beyond ludicrous that this board (mainly a few a$$holes) begin to bash the students when the gophs lose... way to create a scapegoat... way to assume no responsibility...

Maybe next time, people will give a crap and the barn will actually be a "home field advantage"...

Seconded.

+1

I made a similar post in the "Student Section" thread. Just joining in chants consistently and standing a few times throughout the game other than for the rouser would be tremendous. Is that so much to ask?

When people start respecting the students, then the Barn will rock.

You think Cameron Indoor is like this?

I'm from the Boston, MA area and have been to a handful of BC basketball games... (when they were good)... and that place is rocking from the students all the way through to the adults... why can't we have that?

+1

I made a similar post in the "Student Section" thread. Just joining in chants consistently and standing a few times throughout the game other than for the rouser would be tremendous. Is that so much to ask?

I saw your post right after I posted this thread.

Also... why is the student section always packed... and the Fu(king Lower Level seats are NOT filled??????????????

What the hell.... if anything... the students should be the ones b*tching about the other "fans"... and we'd be correct!

I was directly across from the student section in row 10 and I was dissapointed with everyone in the seats, students included. When it comes to our student section (which I was in nearly every game from 2002-2007) it seems like there are roughly 20% who "actually give a $hit". So it goes both ways. I praise you for being the way you describe, because I was the exact same way not too long ago and would love to be there again. What drove me crazy tonight was how there were a large amount of students who weren't even waving their hands directly behind the basket during critical free throws, I mean seriously! Overall the entire crowd was a joke tonight, makes me appreciate how amazing Williams is during Big Ten play. Unfortunately, I have a feeling its going to get to that before we see The Barn in true form!

In a dream world the student section would cover the whole lower end of the court, everyone wearing gold like the orange crush, screaming and going nuts the entire game. At least that's the way it should be.

Everyone in all of Williams should wear gold for that matter! There is no reason our marketing department at the "U" can't get creative enough to make that happen. You could easily promote that and make it a reality.

I saw your post right after I posted this thread.

Also... why is the student section always packed... and the Fu(king Lower Level seats are NOT filled??????????????

What the hell.... if anything... the students should be the ones b*tching about the other "fans"... and we'd be correct!

I don't know if I would say that the student section is always packed. There are still a lot of student tickets available, and there were quite a few open seats in the back and corners of the student section tonight. Attendance in general will not be great until Big Ten season starts, so I'm not too up in arms over the open seats in general.

I'd just like some more noise, plain and simple.

I think it was just the 1 dumb@ss who whined about the student section right? Don't look too much into it, you're always going to have "that" guy.

I agree...

I just think to blame the students is ridiculous... and it always happens on this board.

+10 trillion also this post needs to be the required verbatim response to any and all bitching about student section not doing enough

+10 trillion also this post needs to be the re
PHP:
quired verbatim response to any and all bitching about student section not doing enough

Hahaha thanks... I'm just so sick and tired of hearing this same bull$hit every time we lose.

Agreed. I was at the game too and the students could be better. The section lacks a leader and creativity. I have seen them be better and I know they will be better as the season moves on. But come on, as I've said before, the rest of the "golf fans" should be ashamed of themselves. The students can't do it themselves. Those old people are the same people complaining if their ticket price is raised by $5 or if someone is standing up in front of them. They should have their tickets revoked.

Agreed. I was at the game too and the students could be better. The section lacks a leader and creativity. I have seen them be better and I know they will be better as the season moves on. But come on, as I've said before, the rest of the "golf fans" should be ashamed of themselves. The students can't do it themselves. Those old people are the same people complaining if their ticket price is raised by $5 or if someone is standing up in front of them. They should have their tickets revoked.

GopherNation, you're the one that made me start this thread (because of your other post on (http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=23848)... I know you aren't the only one who bashes the students, but you're one of them.

It's time the older people start caring (I know you say this too).

Also, why is it that the students are relegated to one side? I'd love to have us around the whole court like in so many other college facilities. That, in and of itself, would make the barn more fierce.

I'm from the Boston, MA area and have been to a handful of BC basketball games... (when they were good)... and that place is rocking from the students all the way through to the adults... why can't we have that?

Here are a couple facts for you to consider:

1. 2009-2010 BC average home attendance: 5,317 (not in top 100 in the nation)
2. 2009-2010 MN average home attendance: 13,453 (23rd)

http://tinyurl.com/2wvwvoo

[/B]

Umm, isn't BC's capacity about 60% of Minnesota's? Not such a good argument. Facts are great, except when they are irrelevant to the topic.

You guys are justified in being annoyed with the criticisms of the students section. However, I don't know what you guys are talking about with attendance. Yeah, there were some people who came late because of work. I don't think season ticket holders should be giving up their seats to the "real fans" because they're ten minutes late to a single game that starts unusually early. There were barely any open lower level seats other than the ones in the top of the student section.

While I agree generally, I do have one large issue with the student section.

Why is it a pre-requisite that after every chant phrase, you speed it up by 30%? Every single time the damn thing gets run into the ground in about 6 seconds because nobody (students) can follow it close enough to make it not sound like garbage on TV.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

The student section is not the problem. If the student section ran the length of one side of the court like at most current big-time Division 1 arenas, people would be commenting instead about how crazy, loud, and effective our student section is as a home-court advantage. Instead, they are banished to one corner of the building, and we have a bunch of lazy-ass, entitled, corporate-package and season ticket seatholders just sitting on their wrinkly hands and complaining when anybody within three rows in front of them gets up.

Seriously, it takes only the most furious of Gopher runs to get those people out of their chairs, and then they are back down in a flash. It is EMBARRASSING... especially on national tv.

we have a bunch of lazy-ass, entitled, corporate-package and season ticket seatholders

Otherwise known as "the people that fund the program".

I wonder how the student section would look if the students had to actually pay anywhere close to full price for a ticket.

Instead, they are banished to one corner of the building

If it makes you feel a little more special, before the remodel, the student section was split between the upper level and the lower level (near where the club is).

Be thankful.

The lower level regular area filled up nicely by halftime. Take into consideration that these people dont live on campus and have to work til 5. Its not easy to leave work, pick up the wife or buddy, park, get food, and be on time to a 6pm game.

Student section has sold 1600 of 2200 tickets. Those are the only sections that really dont fill up in the lower level. And moving them to the side of the court is rediculous. Only a few other schools do that, not the majority, so dont play that card.

And every chant with more than 5 words gets ruined because the students rush the chant. Not sure how to fix this, but something needs to get done. Hockey can do it, bball should be able to as well.

I love the student section, but they need to get more organized.

Umm, isn't BC's capacity about 60% of Minnesota's? Not such a good argument. Facts are great, except when they are irrelevant to the topic.

My point, GW, is that is isn't very convincing to me how great the fans are at BC compared to MN when they draw less than half the fans we do. If they were able to draw better, they'd build them a bigger venue.

While I agree generally, I do have one large issue with the student section.

Why is it a pre-requisite that after every chant phrase, you speed it up by 30%? Every single time the damn thing gets run into the ground in about 6 seconds because nobody (students) can follow it close enough to make it not sound like garbage on TV.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Absolutely correct. M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A after the Rouser has become a farce. Listen to the tempo set by the band. It's not that hard. This is something that has started in the last few years, and it bugs me. The student section is off-tempo, and it makes it sound terrible.

Other than that, though, look, stop complaining about your fellow fans. Older fans pay more, and don't have the energy to be bouncing up and down on every play. Younger fans pay less, and have more energy, and have been pretty good for basketball (and disgraceful for football, but I digress). Stop worrying about the other sections, and worry about your own. If you're with the old-timers, try to stand up at important times to get some energy going. If you're in the student section, PLEASE don't do the stupid We Hate Iowa chant when we're not playing Iowa, and keep on tempo for the chants, and we should be good.

The We Hate Iowa chant is not stupid. And just because we arent playing them, doesnt mean we dont hate them. If they do that chant, they need the barnyard people in the first 3 rows to turn towards the rest of the section and start the chant.

http://tinyurl.com/2wvwvoo

If we're going to play the game of numbers, consider this...

The Conte Forum's capacity is 8,606 (compared to Williams Arena's 14,625)...
If you read my post, you would've seen that I referenced Purdue last year and that I said when BC was good (say 2005-2006 season).. It's pretty easy to see that I am not a freshman and therefore I was not at BC for games during the 2009-2010 season... and they were terrible.

In 2005-2006, The BC Eagles were 25-5 and averaged 7,213 in attendance... then, the place was rocking. I attended the BC vs. Maryland game, which was DEFINITELY sold out...

The argument that they'd build a bigger place than the Conte Forum is bogus. Have you taken a look at the BC campus??

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=conte...ent=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Conte Forum is diagonally down to the right in the link... Please tell me where you'd propose building a new arena. The same argument went for Fenway Park (other than the fact that many don't want it to be knocked down because of historical reasons), there's simply no place to put it.

Also, take UConn's Women's basketball... they're amazing. The average attendance last year at a Women's Basketball Division I game was 1,637. UConn averaged 10,182 in an arena that only holds 10,167! If UConn can have an AVERAGE attendance larger than the capacity of the arena for a WOMENS basketball game, why can't we SELL OUT EVERY GAME?!?!?!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaa...e+exceeds+11+million+again_05_27_10_ncaa_news

If you watched the game, there were definitely seats empty for the entire game in the lower level...

It's kinda ridiculous that you'd go out of your way to try to prove me wrong and try to show that I'm lying. I'm not and the numbers above proved it. When I was at BC's Conte Forum, it was rockin and sold out. BC was no better then than this team is now. (I know they finished #7 in the AP Polls)... Truth is, there are a lot of fans here who watch the game like an opera... We need EVERYONE to be excited and loud and not blame the students for the lack of total noise in Williams Arena when the students make up less than 1/4 of the Barn.

Top Bottom