Stub & Herbs

I hate to be a whiner, but I can't help but complain about the loss of East River Flats. Great spot for tailgating or even just parking to walk somewhere else. (I know it's still there in a different form.)

Maybe I'll learn to like the Fairgrounds now that we have to hang out there more often. I like both Stub & Herb's and BWW a lot, and we go to both on and off; the problem is that getting a drink can take a long, long time. It'd be nice if they each had a few more stands for drinks, but I understand the challenges.

We had all of our tailgates at the East River Flats, and with the exception of not being able to park on the grass, it had the same feel as it always has. If you're bringing supplies you'll want to get there a little earlier than maybe you would have normally, but other than that, the Flats were fine. There were actually more people who ended up tailgating down there this year than I ever anticipated there would be after the change. I was pleasantly surprised. You should give it another shot.

Did quarter taps at BWs back in my day. Loved that. Miss that.
Also, wasn't BW the place where Twins pitcher Scott Erickson was caught getting serviced in the restroom by a local female sports reporter?
BTW. I spent time there eating Coneys and chugging brewskis. They had awesome music on a reel to reel behind the bar.

Also, wasn't BW the place where Twins pitcher Scott Erickson was caught getting serviced in the restroom by a local female sports reporter?
BTW. I spent time there eating Coneys and chugging brewskis. They had awesome music on a reel to reel behind the bar.
By BW you mean Bullwinkle's? Yes.

Great, thanks everyone, now all I want to do is make the Friday night rounds! Start at BW, hit up Corner bar, have a fish bowl at Sgt Prestons then head back to campus for Library, then Blarney's, wind up at Stub-Herbs and finish the night off getting food at Big Ten! Instead I get to sit at my desk another 2 days ha

Yes indeed. I was a regular there back in the late-1970s/early-1980s. A former Gopher football player was one of the owners and a lot of the bouncers were former or current (then) Gopher players. Place could be a real madhouse. It was really the epitome of the college bar during that era.

I think the Erickson/reporter liaison happened after hours (a few Twins' players would head up there after a home game to unwind (in more ways than one). I wasn't there, but heard about it the next day from one of the bartenders. Some of us regulars were real surprised when mention of it found its way into CJ's column (I think it was CJ) a couple of weeks later.

Great, thanks everyone, now all I want to do is make the Friday night rounds! Start at BW, hit up Corner bar, have a fish bowl at Sgt Prestons then head back to campus for Library, then Blarney's, wind up at Stub-Herbs and finish the night off getting food at Big Ten! Instead I get to sit at my desk another 2 days ha
We used to call the West Bank tour in the 1970s/1980s the "Walk for Mankind." Half those bars are gone now, but it was a nice three-to-four hour booze cruise.

I have a little background on this. I believe the building was condemned, cited and they didn't don't want to make the improvements. U of M Alumni plan a development like the one across the street. S & H has been offered a space to reopen. I don't know if that's been confirmed.
I don't know if this will work. If you been to Nye's you'll see it will never be the same.

Last edited:

I have a little background on this. I believe the building was condemned, cited and they didn't don't want to make the improvements. U of M Alumni plan a development like the one across the street. S & H has been offered a space to reopen. I don't know if that's been confirmed.
I don't know if this will work. If you been to Nye's you'll see it will never be the same.
Even Sally's lost what charm it had

Really hope the Corner Bar re-opens soon, they've been delayed post fire by some supply chain issues. We've always loved pre-gaming there and hopping onto their shuttle bus to the game.
It's been open for a bit

We had all of our tailgates at the East River Flats, and with the exception of not being able to park on the grass, it had the same feel as it always has. If you're bringing supplies you'll want to get there a little earlier than maybe you would have normally, but other than that, the Flats were fine. There were actually more people who ended up tailgating down there this year than I ever anticipated there would be after the change. I was pleasantly surprised. You should give it another shot.
You're not tailgating in the parking lot, right? You're parking in the lot and dragging your stuff to the grass? Not that we would mind that. Our biggest concern was paying for a permit to tailgate down there then getting there too late for a spot to park in the lot.

Also silly to charge people $30 per game, just for the right to tailgate on the grass, and being like "not our problem if you can't park in the small lot there and have to drag your stuff in from far away".

Flats can go pound sand. Fairgrounds are great.

Now you are talking MY game!

Did quarter taps at BWs back in my day. Loved that. Miss that.

I had forgot about the quarter taps at Bullwinkles!! Thanks for the reminder. I spent wayyyyyyy too many nights there.

But the parking situation got to be a real b!tch. After my car got towed one night, I spent more time at Dick Tracy's, on Franklin, which is now Tracy's Saloon I believe.

I had forgot about the quarter taps at Bullwinkles!! Thanks for the reminder. I spent wayyyyyyy too many nights there.

But the parking situation got to be a real b!tch. After my car got towed one night, I spent more time at Dick Tracy's, on Franklin, which is now Tracy's Saloon I believe.
We used to hit quarter taps at Grandmas. We would tell the waitress to bring as many as she wanted and we would tip an agreed upon amount for each one also. They would bring lots (tray after tray). We would drink lots (tray after tray). An hour was more than enough.

Yes indeed. I was a regular there back in the late-1970s/early-1980s. A former Gopher football player was one of the owners and a lot of the bouncers were former or current (then) Gopher players. Place could be a real madhouse. It was really the epitome of the college bar during that era.

I think the Erickson/reporter liaison happened after hours (a few Twins' players would head up there after a home game to unwind (in more ways than one). I wasn't there, but heard about it the next day from one of the bartenders. Some of us regulars were real surprised when mention of it found its way into CJ's column (I think it was CJ) a couple of weeks later.
Inga Hammond..........Blondie from Channel 5

I remember when Stub and Herb's was a 3.2 dive bar - back in the early/mid 70's. then they fixed it up a lot. made it a nicer place, but lost some of the old feel.

Back in my drinking days, I wandered into Bullwinkle's a few times. But I was more likely to be found at Culla's (the Augsburg dive bar), the 5 Corners Saloon and the Cabooze.

We used to hit quarter taps at Grandmas. We would tell the waitress to bring as many as she wanted and we would tip an agreed upon amount for each one also. They would bring lots (tray after tray). We would drink lots (tray after tray). An hour was more than enough.
Grandma's and Bullwinkle's also had pitcher nights..lived at Seven Corners apartments so they were weekly visits.

Prior to moving to Denver earlier this year, I was a long-time ST holder who lived near Rochester and I loved the convenience of the State Fair lot. Didn’t do much tailgating there (never for 11:00 AM games), but House of Coates made for a nice post-game stop.
My neighbor cooks at The House of Coates and he says they are slammed on home game days with lots of game goers from southern MN stopping by for a Swanee burger.

I thought the Stubs building was protected by the State historical deal?

I could write a book of the unreal experiences there I experienced.
In the 70's and early 80's was wall to wall people on Thursday-Saturday nights. Lots of memories.

Who has the skinny on Sterbs? I keep hearing it’s destined for the wrecking ball. Absent a tailgate Sterbs has been my game day go to. Pre and post game. Since my parking is in the agony Oak Street ramp i need to kill an hour after the game anyway. The structure is long in the tooth and you can tell nobody’s putting any money into it but will it survive for the 2022 season at least? If not what options besides Sallys??
I am never going back to Sally's. Their men's bathroom was a sh@th&le.

Send photos. With a whopping 70 parking spots i find it had to believe its even close to the same vibe.

My neighbor cooks at The House of Coates and he says they are slammed on home game days with lots of game goers from southern MN stopping by for a Swanee burger.
Coates! Oh the stories that have emanated from that little burg.

Great moments in Minnesota local politics from 2002: https://www.foxnews.com/story/voting-fraud-aimed-at-benefiting-strip-club

Jacobson was later found not guilty.

I am never going back to Sally's. Their men's bathroom was a sh@th&le.
You realize Sally's building was torn down and it's now in a new building? New Sally's is actually just a Cowboy Jack's but with a different name/decor.

Top Bottom