STrib: Ski-U-Meh: U ticket sales sag

It took 28 years to destroy the student-football relationship. It might take that long to bring it back. Just like Kill's program is a step at a time, so will have to be this relationship. You can't create a culture over night. I'll bet we can get it done in one college generation--four years.

As others have mentioned, the comparison of ticket sales for 2012 vs prior years is a terrible one - we need to understand the behavior of freshman, first-game walk-up student season ticket sales, etc. The change looks dramatic, but the comparison doesn't make any sense. Numbers must be understood.

At any rate, it's clear the school is concerned about ticket sales. I believe that is the driving factor in completely reversing their stance on selling beer to everyone at TCF Bank stadium.

At the dome, kids could easily walk up and buy multiple season ticket strips on game day for the opener. Wouldn't mind seeing that happen again vs. the heavier policing that's been in place at the new stadium.

As others have mentioned, the comparison of ticket sales for 2012 vs prior years is a terrible one - we need to understand the behavior of freshman, first-game walk-up student season ticket sales, etc. The change looks dramatic, but the comparison doesn't make any sense. Numbers must be understood.

At any rate, it's clear the school is concerned about ticket sales. I believe that is the driving factor in completely reversing their stance on selling beer to everyone at TCF Bank stadium.

At the dome, kids could easily walk up and buy multiple season ticket strips on game day for the opener. Wouldn't mind seeing that happen again vs. the heavier policing that's been in place at the new stadium.

I believe the driving force is to sell suites.

Having said that, I appreciate comments from posters like Okie that state they are a student. It's nice to hear from actual students/recent students on this topic.

Call me crazy, but I still think a major reason behind the lack of students attending is due to poor tailgating options. Even when playing at the dome (before liquor depot was destroyed), there were some good first come, first served lots that were all students. The lots filled up and the tailgating was great. Students can't afford a $1000 parking pass so they have no central location to gather and tailgate to get excited for the game. Iowa State is a great example of a historical crappy football team with great student turnout and a terrific student tailgating venue. I've said it before and I will keep saying it...turn the intramural fields into a $20/vehicle tailgate lot and build a walkway over the railroad to the stadium. It would do wonders for exciting the student populuation.

Call me crazy, but I still think a major reason behind the lack of students attending is due to poor tailgating options. Even when playing at the dome (before liquor depot was destroyed), there were some good first come, first served lots that were all students. The lots filled up and the tailgating was great. Students can't afford a $1000 parking pass so they have no central location to gather and tailgate to get excited for the game. Iowa State is a great example of a historical crappy football team with great student turnout and a terrific student tailgating venue. I've said it before and I will keep saying it...turn the intramural fields into a $20/vehicle tailgate lot and build a walkway over the railroad to the stadium. It would do wonders for exciting the student populuation.

I agree, but that's where the intramural bubble is. I suggested this in meetings back when the stadium was about to open, but there was no interest from that administration. "family friendly" was always their mantra.

$20 is a lot for students to pay for tailgating. Not sure why they should have to pay to tailgate at all. If they are complaining about $89 student season tickets, no way are they going to pay for $20/vehicle tailgating. We have to remove the barriers and let them have at it.

Go Gophers!!

Whether or not the story was fair, the fact of the matter is that the student section at football games is an embarrassment (with regards to attendance). 5000, 6000, 8000, whatever number ends of being for tickets sold - yeah, the revenue is nice, but the fact of the matter is a fraction of that number actually show up for every game, and a smaller fraction actually stay for entire games.

Perhaps part of the problem too is not having had any superstar-like players since Maroney and Barber. My hope is that #5 can become that this year, and sooner rather than later (like 5 TDs vs. UNLV to get the season going).

I can recall talking to a student at one of the last games at the Metrodome. He was pissed because the city had
shutdown their tailgate lot. I remember those lots were packed with students. Where do those kids go before
the games now?

It was in between my sophomore and junior years, the final 2 years at the dome. In 2006, there were the large lots by the Guthrie, that are now lofts, that were FILLED with students, then it was a quick walk over to the dome (or to Preston's).

In 2007-08 the city gradually started cutting back (no kegs, no glass, increased ticketing) and the lots were harder to find because there were less of them, so the old spaghetti factory lot, and the valspar lots were a couple options, it just wasn't the same lot every week, deal.
Freshmen and Sophomores have always been more likely to go to games with their youthful exuberance, where juniors and seniors have been more reluctant, because they official become "gopherized and cynical."

It was in between my sophomore and junior years, the final 2 years at the dome. In 2006, there were the large lots by the Guthrie, that are now lofts, that were FILLED with students, then it was a quick walk over to the dome (or to Preston's).

In 2007-08 the city gradually started cutting back (no kegs, no glass, increased ticketing) and the lots were harder to find because there were less of them, so the old spaghetti factory lot, and the valspar lots were a couple options, it just wasn't the same lot every week, deal.
Freshmen and Sophomores have always been more likely to go to games with their youthful exuberance, where juniors and seniors have been more reluctant, because they official become "gopherized and cynical."

I'll throw my lot in with you. It's a tough sell to students in the "City Where Nothing is Allowed" around campus. Yet, the city allows thugs to run rampant downtown because they spend money there...

$20 is a lot for students to pay for tailgating. Not sure why they should have to pay to tailgate at all. If they are complaining about $89 student season tickets, no way are they going to pay for $20/vehicle tailgating. We have to remove the barriers and let them have at it.

Go Gophers!!

You think $20/vehicle (not per student) is a lot to pay for a tailgate lot? Have you ever tailgated at a first come, first served lot before?

IMO,My bet is the student ticket sales will be equal to last year by 9/8. This is as dumb as writing that deer hunting licenses are down 80% as of today over last year's total. Consistent winning will put more students in the seats. Most undergrads are under 21 and drinking is not the priority it once was back in the day. $$$ is tight for students today. My education for 4 years at Madison was $19,800 total in 1980. Today that number is $100k, 4x's the inflation rate since 1980. Here are the current per semester fees for a student:
CBS lab fee=$87.25
student service fee=$368.90
Stadium fee=$12.50
Capital enhancement fee=$75
MSA,CCB,transportation,CFANS fees=$134
Total FEES?=$677.65 per semester. Now You can pay tuition, room, board and books,pizza, ect.
Heck, just throw in a "school spirit fee" for $100 and they can choose 10 sporting events.

BTW, I was at the Illinois game last year in 40 degree weather from California. Where were all the non students who complain about the lack of students in the seats? I will also catch the UNLV and MSU game this year. If You were a no show for last year's Illinois game or this year's MSU game please spare us throwing students under the bus.
Here's another news flash for You, higher academic schools have much lower sports attendance. UCLA,Stanford,NW, ect. These kids are under extreme pressure to perform academically vs. 20 years ago. Again, winning consistently trumps all this.

That will probably never happen, but I like that idea

Bleed, your frugality is showing

Go Gophers!!

You won't find a day-of-game tailgate lot within a decent walking distance for less than $20 a spot in anywhere for a BCS-level team. Only a fraction of students will have access to a car so more than likely someone will load up their car with 12 cases of beer and bag of potato chips and have their friends meet them at their spot in the lot.

Although i agree that student ticket sales will be close to what they were last year(students are going to procrastinate on this type of thing),
the lack of exuberance and student involvement is a direct affect of Maturi's spineless leadership in opening the new stadium.
Yes it on campus now. Yes it's an amazing building. Yes it has great seats for students.
No it isn't a party.

It's completely unreal that Maturi and the powers at the U completely whiffed on the gameday aspect. There was no forward thinking, no attempt to cultivate a younger fan base. Just plop the new stadium down and everything will take care of itself, right Joel?
Morons.

Simply put, until the CAMPUS around the stadium becomes a party scene, the students won't go into the games. Winning will draw some, but it's honestly more about the event to the students. Halloween night against MSU was a wild atmosphere because the kids could go to the bars around the stadium after the game, or were going to anyway and figured it would be fun to pre party in the tailgate lots, etc.

If alcohol continues to be a controlled substance worthy of intense punishment on gamedays, we have no chance of organically cultivating the students, it will take gimmicks, smoke and mirrors to fill the student section, or even to bring in younger fans in general.
MAKE IT A PARTY FOLKS!
Stand up to the city of Minneapolis, the board of regents, the "neighborhood groups" whoever stands in the way of a crazy, electric, loud, and fun atmosphere.

You won't find a day-of-game tailgate lot within a decent walking distance for less than $20 a spot in anywhere for a BCS-level team. Only a fraction of students will have access to a car so more than likely someone will load up their car with 12 cases of beer and bag of potato chips and have their friends meet them at their spot in the lot.

Hmmmm, you shouldn't have wandered off looking for your below-face value tickets at USC a year ago and should have stayed with us wandering the USC campus festivities and you would have seen a TON of free tailgating options right smack dab in the middle of campus for free, just a block from the stadium. They removed all barriers and created an incredible atmosphere. Granted, their stadium sucks for watching a game as the seats feel so removed from the action, but that's a different story.

Go Gophers!!

Maturi's idea of a great game day atmosphere was face painting, try your skill at some silly state fair game by the plaza and endless time-out promo's that killed any buzz and excitement. And wasn't moving the pregame show to two hours before game time just brilliant!!! At least that was changed back to 1 hour but attendance has dwindled as a result.

I know Coach Kill wants to create a better game day experience other than just win. Lets hope Teague has the same vision and has the support of Kaler. The PC crowd at the UM needs to take a back seat and become irrelevant. The UM needs to follow Coach Kills lead and NO MORE MINNESOTA NICE!

The UM must invest in the future beyond building TCF, rapid rail, more research facilities, etc. Part of that investment are the thousands of fans including alumni who visit the campus on gameday who have the potential to return and support the UM. Kaler knows this and I hope the Regents realize that as well. But the UM has missed the boat again with their Minnesota nice policies. To date, there has been no significant new traditions started on gameday. TCF has no gameday identity other than endless promo's and tight security. There is very little buzz and excitement..

A good example is the feeble attempt to bring back the band marching down University Avenue. Numerous roadblocks were set and heels were dug in with the expected NO. The decision makers backed off and many did not support it including Mr. Diehm. I know that if the band was allowed to march, it would help create create some excitement amongst the students. If not University Ave. why not Scholars Walk? All one needs to do is look at the UW crowd at the Student Union to see the kind of interest the band can generate. When we go to Madtown, we always arrive early and enjoy the atmosphere.

My point is that little has been done, there has been weak leadership and I doubt there is a well thought out plan to fall back on.

11am starts certainly can't help. Would be nice to have 1 pm or later starts. Tough to get much festivity/tailgating time in prior to 11am when you are a student at a struggling football game day experience school already. What's the motivation to get up and start that early? Winning will change this though, that and Jerry Kill, Norwood Teague, and Erik Kaler.

2. Why not go into further detail about the difficulties of sales at the U besides winning, and investigate why student support was actually better at the Metrodome under Mason (though that could just be that we were marginally winning.)

Winning is one thing, I used to sit in the second deck at the Metrodome, lots of students around me, they were there for two reason, to drink and socialize, losing, 11:00 AM starts, and no beer just means no incentive to attend.

Maturi's idea of a great game day atmosphere was face painting, try your skill at some silly state fair game by the plaza and endless time-out promo's that killed any buzz and excitement.

How dare you disparage my Old Dutch keychain!

Maturi's idea of a great game day atmosphere was face painting, try your skill at some silly state fair game by the plaza and endless time-out promo's that killed any buzz and excitement.

I know Coach Kill wants to create a better game day experience other than just win. Lets hope Teague has the same vision and the support of Kaler. The PC crowd at the UM needs to take a back seat and become irrelevant.

No more MINNESOTA NICE!

Seems to me the Oak Street/plaza area would be perfect for a "controlled" student tailgate. Put a couple dumpsters on one side for trash, a couple strategically placed security teams, rope the place off and let the students revel. Then have a mass clearout 30 mins before kickoff, all the students are ushered out and marched around the stadium to the student section, making a kind of tradition out of it.

11am starts certainly can't help. Would be nice to have 1 pm or later starts. Tough to get much festivity/tailgating time in prior to 11am when you are a student at a struggling football game day experience school already. What's the motivation to get up and start that early? Winning will change this though, that and Jerry Kill, Norwood Teague, and Erik Kaler.

Oh you can pull it off, but you'll end up with 30% of the student section empty until midway through the first quarter, which happens in Madison all the time.

This is a non-story. Kill will get them to a competitive level in the B1G and the ticket sales will follow. All it takes is that one season where you upset a Michigan or a Wisconsin and the kids will start showing up.

Does it surprise anyone that two of the first 5 comments on the strib article at supposedly 3 in the morning are from pantherhawk and lakesbison. Man, they must have alarms set to their google alerts. Its got to be sad to be that obsessed about something you have no actual stake in...

Whether or not the story was fair, the fact of the matter is that the student section at football games is an embarrassment (with regards to attendance). 5000, 6000, 8000, whatever number ends of being for tickets sold - yeah, the revenue is nice, but the fact of the matter is a fraction of that number actually show up for every game, and a smaller fraction actually stay for entire games.

Perhaps part of the problem too is not having had any superstar-like players since Maroney and Barber. My hope is that #5 can become that this year, and sooner rather than later (like 5 TDs vs. UNLV to get the season going).

So 15% of the student population showing up is an embarrassment but less then 1% of the metro population showing up for the remaining 45,000 seats is acceptable?

When I was an undergrad, many many years ago...I bought season tickets for my team. We were losers, and I got drunk and never made the games. But at least I bought the tickets.

Hahahaha. Well you were supporting Gopher Football and the local liquor store... Can't ask for much more than that.

I like Nate's idea of having some sort of priority for hockey and/or basketball if you have football tickets. It would be interesting to know how many are cross-overs & already have football tickets that do attend those games. I don't know if lowering the price would help sway anything, but I think it's an option to be explored. Would lowering it to the $50-$70 range help get enough students to buy tickets where it would offset the lost revenue from the current price level? Things to look at.

I like that my tailgate lot isn't littered with beer bonging students right next to the pavilion, but I'm also at a different age in my life. They should definitely find a place for the students to taigate & party it up & let it roll like Norman suggested. And I don't think it's a bad idea to look into a USC type of thing right on Northrup Mall. The way people just wheeled in their stuff & set up shop right in the middle of campus at USC was awesome to see & be a part of. It's no longer of a walk from Northrup to TCF than it was from USC's main campus drag over to the coliseum. Along with that, open up the rules for the fraternities. Let them loose too. Letting them do their thing on their porches while everyone is driving down University & walking down University would create nothing but a fun atmosphere.

Lots of thoughts all over the place. All I know is that losing & a non-party atmosphere is NOT a good combination when it comes to trying to build interest. Along those same lines, I still remember 18,000 people at the dome vs. MSU a week after the Michigan loss despite the records of the two teams & maybe 42,000 between two top 25 teams at the time in Minnesota & Purdue in 2005. I don't know if it's "Just win more" that will help this cause. The Vikes took off because of the party atmosphere that began with the coming of Randy Moss. Some sort of party atmosphere may be the only thing.

I'm all over the place with my ramblings....

Although i agree that student ticket sales will be close to what they were last year(students are going to procrastinate on this type of thing),
the lack of exuberance and student involvement is a direct affect of Maturi's spineless leadership in opening the new stadium.
Yes it on campus now. Yes it's an amazing building. Yes it has great seats for students.
No it isn't a party.

It's completely unreal that Maturi and the powers at the U completely whiffed on the gameday aspect. There was no forward thinking, no attempt to cultivate a younger fan base. Just plop the new stadium down and everything will take care of itself, right Joel?
Morons.

Simply put, until the CAMPUS around the stadium becomes a party scene, the students won't go into the games. Winning will draw some, but it's honestly more about the event to the students. Halloween night against MSU was a wild atmosphere because the kids could go to the bars around the stadium after the game, or were going to anyway and figured it would be fun to pre party in the tailgate lots, etc.

If alcohol continues to be a controlled substance worthy of intense punishment on gamedays, we have no chance of organically cultivating the students, it will take gimmicks, smoke and mirrors to fill the student section, or even to bring in younger fans in general.
MAKE IT A PARTY FOLKS!
Stand up to the city of Minneapolis, the board of regents, the "neighborhood groups" whoever stands in the way of a crazy, electric, loud, and fun atmosphere.

I couldn't agree more. It needs to be a party and Jerry Kill understands this as well. The U needs to bring the college atmosphere to TCF Bank stadium. A big reason why students don't go to games is because they can't party. It's as simple as that. At Camp Randall students just need to cross a street from the house party and go to the game. There are a lot of Gopher fans that don't agree with the newly implemented alcohol sales (Dpdoll) but it's a way to get students to show up at games. U of M students proved that they can hold their liquor and still be responsible at Gopher games. I've been a season ticket holder for the last 20+ years and I don't recall any serious issues with alcohol at the Metrodome.

The U needs to bring in beer tents, party music, BBQ, lawn games (i.e. bean bags) and other reasons to get students off their front porch. How about live music? Local bands would be a hit! Block off the whole area and let people walk around and drink, mingle, etc. Lastly, let students (of age of course) to buy beer anywhere in the stadium and let them go crazy. Students are confined to the student section and they won't bother anybody else. This is their school, their team, their stadium. Let them be free and act like a college student. Anyone that has experience at B1G road games understands that the U's party atmosphere doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, etc. LET'S PARTY!

I like Nate's idea of having some sort of priority for hockey and/or basketball if you have football tickets. It would be interesting to know how many are cross-overs & already have football tickets that do attend those games. I don't know if lowering the price would help sway anything, but I think it's an option to be explored. Would lowering it to the $50-$70 range help get enough students to buy tickets where it would offset the lost revenue from the current price level? Things to look at.

I like that my tailgate lot isn't littered with beer bonging students right next to the pavilion, but I'm also at a different age in my life. They should definitely find a place for the students to taigate & party it up & let it roll like Norman suggested. And I don't think it's a bad idea to look into a USC type of thing right on Northrup Mall. The way people just wheeled in their stuff & set up shop right in the middle of campus at USC was awesome to see & be a part of. It's no longer of a walk from Northrup to TCF than it was from USC's main campus drag over to the coliseum. Along with that, open up the rules for the fraternities. Let them loose too. Letting them do their thing on their porches while everyone is driving down University & walking down University would create nothing but a fun atmosphere.

Lots of thoughts all over the place. All I know is that losing & a non-party atmosphere is NOT a good combination when it comes to trying to build interest. Along those same lines, I still remember 18,000 people at the dome vs. MSU a week after the Michigan loss despite the records of the two teams & maybe 42,000 between two top 25 teams at the time in Minnesota & Purdue in 2005. I don't know if it's "Just win more" that will help this cause. The Vikes took off because of the party atmosphere that began with the coming of Randy Moss. Some sort of party atmosphere may be the only thing.

I'm all over the place with my ramblings....

A few years ago maybe, but the student hockey ticket is not nearly as hard to get as it once was. Hell, the last few years the hockey student section was only 60-70 % full. Maybe after last year's success that will go up again, but its not nearly the incentive it was back in the 1990s and early 2000s. Thats not going to pull anyone to football tickets.

I found this quote from the President of the Goal Line club interesting: "This whole generation of students now at the University of Minnesota, they didn't grow up with that college [on-campus] football experience," he said. "We lost a lot with the Metrodome."

I would argue that this generation of students didn't grow up with winning football which has more of an effect on whether or not someone buys season tickets than the location of the games. If the Gophers played the same football they have for the past 30 years, but done it on campus, I think the same lack of interest would exist.

I don't buy either of these as an excuse. I didn't grow up with winning Gopher football. Yet when I arrived on campus in the fall of 95 I purchased my football tickets. That year, and every year after. And remember, that was during the Wacker years. It wasn't good football. It wasn't fun to board a bus to head over to the Metrodome. But you did it because (I believe) you're supposed to support your school. Also, it's B1G football!!

I think a lot of it boils down to loyalty. People just aren't as loyal as they were in the previous two generations. It's always "what have you done for me lately". The team does well, everyone is a HUGE Gopher fan. The team does poorly they're off the bandwagon immediately.

I'm 'only' 35, but that mentality is really hard for me to accept. Then again, I'm a Gophers/Vikings/Wild/Twins fan. I'm used to supporting losing teams. :D

I couldn't agree more. It needs to be a party and Jerry Kill understands this as well. The U needs to bring the college atmosphere to TCF Bank stadium. A big reason why students don't go to games is because they can't party. It's as simple as that. At Camp Randall students just need to cross a street from the house party and go to the game. There are a lot of Gopher fans that don't agree with the newly implemented alcohol sales (Dpdoll) but it's a way to get students to show up at games. U of M students proved that they can hold their liquor and still be responsible at Gopher games. I've been a season ticket holder for the last 20+ years and I don't recall any serious issues with alcohol at the Metrodome.

The U needs to bring in beer tents, party music, BBQ, lawn games (i.e. bean bags) and other reasons to get students off their front porch. How about live music? Local bands would be a hit! Block off the whole area and let people walk around and drink, mingle, etc. Lastly, let students (of age of course) to buy beer anywhere in the stadium and let them go crazy. Students are confined to the student section and they won't bother anybody else. This is their school, their team, their stadium. Let them be free and act like a college student. Anyone that has experience at B1G road games understands that the U's party atmosphere doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, etc. LET'S PARTY!

Nail, head!

Nail, head!
nail-thru-head.jpg

absolutely

Top Bottom