STrib: Kill still recovering at home

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys, who handled the coaching duties for the Gophers during Saturday’s loss at Michigan in the absence of head coach Jerry Kill, represented the program on Tuesday’s weekly Big Ten coaches’ teleconference. Claeys said that Kill, who suffered a seizure Saturday morning, was still at home, and that there was no need to rush back to work because the team has a bye this week.

“He’s doing good, continuing to get the rest he needs and work with his doctors to do the best they can to get the situation under control with his medicine, which they still believe they can do,’’ Claeys said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/226926791.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

With the bye week, weren't most of the coaches supposed to be on the road recruiting? If so, then his inability to travel and do in home visits surely will hurt recruiting.

With the bye week, weren't most of the coaches supposed to be on the road recruiting? If so, then his inability to travel and do in home visits surely will hurt recruiting.

I don't believe Head Coaches can do home visits during the season, but I will defer to tohers who know that for sure.

There's a limit on head coaches visiting recruits. Kill only travels in January just like every other head coach.

PiPress: Jerry Kill resting, working with doctors

Claeys declined to guess whether Kill would have been back at practice Tuesday if the Gophers (4-2) were playing this weekend.

"I'm not going to go down that road," Claeys said. "He is at home. We've had conversations with Coach. The best thing is the rest and getting the medication worked on. Since we don't play this week, there's no sense in hurrying that. We're not practicing here until the end of the week."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

This news should be helpful.

Kill's latest seizure stemmed from a medication adjustment. Claeys said he's spoken daily with Kill on the phone but hasn't discussed a timetable for Kill coming back.

I think we all could use a little rest this bye week. I know these last two games have me worn out and am welcoming the rest this weekend.

I think we all could use a little rest this bye week. I know these last two games have me worn out and am welcoming the rest this weekend.

Come on Nokomis, you know that real experts are like geniuses, they never rest or take a day off. :)

AP: Kill still resting; 'U' president renews support

"Where we are right now is hoping for and planning on Jerry getting better and being able to fulfill all of his duties," Kaler said. "We're not looking at a Plan B. We're looking at Jerry Kill being our head football coach. He's got a great, great staff. It's really just an unbelievable team, and when he's not able to be there because of a seizure, they have a terrific plan and they execute on that. So that's where we are."

"At the end of the day, Jerry works for me and I'm supportive of him. I admire him. I think he has a great personal story. I think he has a great professional career," Kaler said, adding: "He is just relentless. He likes to use that word in describing what he wants his football team to be, and he's driven. When he puts his mind to something, he just doesn't let it go. That I think is reflecting in what he's done for our team and really is his modus operandi throughout his whole career."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/kill-still-resting-u-president-renews-support

Go Gophers!!

But on Tuesday, university president Eric Kaler reaffirmed his support for Kill and the coach's ability to handle the high-profile, high-pressure job while dealing with epilepsy.

"Where we are right now is hoping for and planning on Jerry getting better and being able to fulfill all of his duties," Kaler said. "We're not looking at a Plan B. We're looking at Jerry Kill being our head football coach. He's got a great, great staff. It's really just an unbelievable team, and when he's not able to be there because of a seizure, they have a terrific plan and they execute on that. So that's where we are..

"At the end of the day, Jerry works for me and I'm supportive of him," Kaler said. "I admire him. I think he has a great personal story. I think he has a great professional career. He is just relentless. He likes to use that word in describing what he wants his football team to be, and he's driven. When he puts his mind to something, he just doesn't let it go. That I think is reflected in what he's done for our team and really is his modus operandi throughout his whole career."

Kaler said his concern is with Kill's health, not with the coach's status. Kill has said he'd quit if he didn't think his condition would allow him to handle the job.

"There are many, many dimensions to being the Gopher head football coach, and Jerry is excellent in what he does," Kaler said. "As you work your way around the community, it's very difficult to find somebody who doesn't like Jerry Kil. I think he's brought belief in our program back. I think he's got it pointed in exactly the right direction.

"I don't know everything you need to do to win in football, but I do know that if you don't want to win, you change your coaches frequently. And my hope is that Jerry's going to be our head football coach for a long, long time."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...university-minnesota-president-renews-support

But on Tuesday, university president Eric Kaler reaffirmed his support for Kill and the coach's ability to handle the high-profile, high-pressure job while dealing with epilepsy.

"Where we are right now is hoping for and planning on Jerry getting better and being able to fulfill all of his duties," Kaler said. "We're not looking at a Plan B. We're looking at Jerry Kill being our head football coach. He's got a great, great staff. It's really just an unbelievable team, and when he's not able to be there because of a seizure, they have a terrific plan and they execute on that. So that's where we are..

"At the end of the day, Jerry works for me and I'm supportive of him," Kaler said. "I admire him. I think he has a great personal story. I think he has a great professional career. He is just relentless. He likes to use that word in describing what he wants his football team to be, and he's driven. When he puts his mind to something, he just doesn't let it go. That I think is reflected in what he's done for our team and really is his modus operandi throughout his whole career."

Kaler said his concern is with Kill's health, not with the coach's status. Kill has said he'd quit if he didn't think his condition would allow him to handle the job.

"There are many, many dimensions to being the Gopher head football coach, and Jerry is excellent in what he does," Kaler said. "As you work your way around the community, it's very difficult to find somebody who doesn't like Jerry Kil. I think he's brought belief in our program back. I think he's got it pointed in exactly the right direction.

"I don't know everything you need to do to win in football, but I do know that if you don't want to win, you change your coaches frequently. And my hope is that Jerry's going to be our head football coach for a long, long time."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...university-minnesota-president-renews-support

As President, knowing THAT, is enough.

You're being insensitive. You have to be patient and wait as long as it takes cuz we're on the right path.

As President, knowing THAT, is enough.

Unfortunately there is a relatively small but very vocal minority here that refuse to listening to or accept what the president has been saying for a long time. He has even backed this up with an extension of Jerry's contract to seven years, yet they don't notice it. As Dr.Don has often pointed out, we do have plenty of "experts" here. What we don't have here is patience. But thank god what we do have though is a president who gets it. I think we can all sleep a little better knowing that the inmates are not running the institution. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately there is a relatively small but very vocal minority here that refuse to listening to or accept what the president has been saying for a long time. He has even backed this up with an extension of Jerry's contract to seven years, yet they don't notice it. As Dr.Don has often pointed out, we do have plenty of "experts" here. What we don't have here is patience. But thank god what we do have though is a president who gets it. I think we can all sleep a little better knowing that the inmates are not running the institution. :rolleyes:

On that same note there are those that refuse to look at the business of college athletics and realize that a 7 year contract does not in any way guarantee Kill will get the full 7 years to put a winning team on the field.

Most rational people get that he will and should get a minimum of 4 years but after that all bets are off and if the Big Ten wins don't start coming on a more regular basis the people that are resting easy thinking the president won't fire their coach are going to wake up to the news that the U is undergoing another coaching search.

EK and NT are going to come out in support of Kill right now because it is the right thing to do, and best case scenario for everyone is if he gets it done. But by the end of 2014 if we are still trying to figure out how to go 2-6 in the conference and the seats at TCF are empty or even worse filled with rival fans don't think for one minute that they will hesitate to pull the trigger on firing Kill and bringing in a new coach.

"Where we are right now is hoping for and planning on Jerry getting better and being able to fulfill all of his duties," Kaler said. "We're not looking at a Plan B. We're looking at Jerry Kill being our head football coach. He's got a great, great staff. It's really just an unbelievable team, and when he's not able to be there because of a seizure, they have a terrific plan and they execute on that. So that's where we are."

"At the end of the day, Jerry works for me and I'm supportive of him. I admire him. I think he has a great personal story. I think he has a great professional career," Kaler said, adding: "He is just relentless. He likes to use that word in describing what he wants his football team to be, and he's driven. When he puts his mind to something, he just doesn't let it go. That I think is reflecting in what he's done for our team and really is his modus operandi throughout his whole career."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/kill-still-resting-u-president-renews-support

Go Gophers!!

I think most GH contributors are relentless in their own opinion. There must be a lot of that going around.

On that same note there are those that refuse to look at the business of college athletics and realize that a 7 year contract does not in any way guarantee Kill will get the full 7 years to put a winning team on the field.

Most rational people get that he will and should get a minimum of 4 years but after that all bets are off and if the Big Ten wins don't start coming on a more regular basis the people that are resting easy thinking the president won't fire their coach are going to wake up to the news that the U is undergoing another coaching search.

EK and NT are going to come out in support of Kill right now because it is the right thing to do, and best case scenario for everyone is if he gets it done. But by the end of 2014 if we are still trying to figure out how to go 2-6 in the conference and the seats at TCF are empty or even worse filled with rival fans don't think for one minute that they will hesitate to pull the trigger on firing Kill and bringing in a new coach.

I always find it interesting how you and few others here believe that by firing Jerry Kill we just move on to another coach without any repercussions. The damage from doing that is likely to be significant. There likely will be very few good coaches that will be interested in the Minnesota position if Jerry fails here. Yes, we all know that if things don't go well going forward that decisions will need to be made. I don't believe that the decision about Jerry will be made as easy or nonchalantly as you believe it will be. You also need to be careful for what you wish for. You may get just it.

I know we have different perspectives an I know that you say that you support Jerry Kill but your aluft attitude says something different to me. I am not sure if you really understand or even care as to how difficult it is to turn a program like Minnesota's around. You should though, because it is very unlikely that it will be any easier with a new coach.

We certainly have different perspectives and values but I think we should at least appreciate what is required to turn a program around. There is a difference between being a teacher and actually having to build and manage something. I don't know if you have ever had to do all three but Jerry has and he is pretty damn good at all three of them. I must admit that I have always had a bias for people that actually do things over those who talk about things even though we do need all kinds.

I always find it interesting how you and few others here believe that by firing Jerry Kill we just move on to another coach without any repercussions. The damage from doing that is likely to be significant. There will be very few good coaches interested in the Minnesota position is Jerry fails here. I know If things don't go well going forward there will be a point when they will have to make that decision decision but they won't view it as nonchalantly as you do. Be careful what you wish for. You say you support Jerry Kill but your aluft attitude says something different. I am not sure if you really understand or even care as to how difficult it is to turn a program like Minnesota's around. You would rather be a realist. It is so much easier to be critical than to actual to try to change things. I don't what you teach but I am sure it is not change management.

And, just a few years ago, it seemed like all I was doing was change management, one diaper at a time.

I don't believe Head Coaches can do home visits during the season, but I will defer to tohers who know that for sure.

You are correct on in-home visits during this period. They can do evaluations however during this "evaluation period." This means they can go and observe recruits games or practices(be visible) at the high school and talk to coaches as long as they do not have direct contact with the recruit or their legal guardians as I understand it.

And, just a few years ago, it seemed like all I was doing was change management, one diaper at a time.

You sir then know what a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty job it can be. That makes you one of the few people on the GopherHole who can actually claim to be an "expert" on a subject because you have actually done it.:clap:

You sir then know what a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty job it can be. That makes you one of the few people on the GopherHole who can actually claim to be an "expert" on a subject because you have actually done it.:clap:

Killjoy, you are a total treat when you make comments like this.

btw, lots and lots of the commentors on GopherHole become Ronnie Run Homes and still ask their mothers to wash their underwear.

The koolaid drinkers like to pretend Mason didn't get canned 1 year after his extension...

I think blind fans have very selective memory...

{Killjoy}I always find it interesting how you and few others here believe that by firing Jerry Kill we just move on to another coach without any repercussions. I clearly said nothing should happen till after 2014 at the earliest but feel free to gloss over that fact. The damage from doing that is likely to be significant. There likely will be very few good coaches that will be interested in the Minnesota position if Jerry fails here. There will always be interested coaches the quality of which will be influenced by how much the U is willing to pay. Yes, we all know that if things don't go well going forward that decisions will need to be made. Hence my reference to waiting till after 2014. I don't believe that the decision about Jerry will be made as easy or nonchalantly as you believe it will be. When did I ever say it would be easy? You also need to be careful for what you wish for. You may get just it.

I know we have different perspectives an I know that you say that you support Jerry Kill but your aluft attitude says something different to me. I am not sure if you really understand or even care as to how difficult it is to turn a program like Minnesota's around. You should though, because it is very unlikely that it will be any easier with a new coach. I know far more about the inner workings of the Minnesota football program than you can imagine but think what you want about me personally. As for supporting Coach Kill, I am not sold he is going to be the one to get it done, so I am not willing to sit here and blindly believe all is well when there are clearly some signs that they are not. I am not convinced Kill can recruit enough talent to win in the Big Ten and I am also not sold that his systems can work in this conference. Have you seen anything in conference games that says differently, because from what I have seen in the majority of our conference games we have not held up well against our opponents.

We certainly have different perspectives and values You know my values? but I think we should at least appreciate what is required to turn a program around. There is a difference between being a teacher and actually having to build and manage something. I don't know if you have ever had to do all three but Jerry has and he is pretty damn good at all three of them. He built a program at Southern Illinois, he did well in a short stint at Northern, gold stars on his resume, not proof he can do the same in the Big Ten. He was Maturi's fallback option when he couldn't get the guys he targeted. I must admit that I have always had a bias for people that actually do things over those who talk about things even though we do need all kinds.

Look you can think what you want about me, and I will freely admit I hope I am wrong about Kill and he goes on to have a long successful career at University of Minnesota because that will mean good things are happening here. As of right now though I see some stability after the craziness that was the end of the Brewster regime but I also see a program that has not been competitive in the majority of its conference games over the past few years. I see a team that looks like it may struggle to find 2 conference wins this season to get to the low end accomplishment of getting to a bowl game. I see recruiting classes that don't stack up on paper against the teams we are in direct competition with (stars are not everything but the only reason many in here want to dismiss them entirely is because they don't benefit our favorite squad). And finally I see a head coach with a serious health issue that has kept him off the sidelines for 1 1/2 games this season so far through 6 weeks. I love the U of M, I'm an alum and in the end I want the team to win, I am just not sold the guy in charge right now is the one who will get it done. In the end I hope I'm proven wrong, only time will tell.

What is a little troubling about this latest episode is that Coach was ill on Friday and couldn't travel that day. Did that mean he had a spell on Thursday? Plus he is still not at work Monday, maybe Tuesday. Perhaps it has to do with finding the right balance with meds, etc., but it does seem somewhat different from previous episodes, being a multi-day thing this time.

He changed his medication I believe & I'm guessing he's getting a lot of rest because its a bye week...

{Killjoy}Look you can think what you want about me, and I will freely admit I hope I am wrong about Kill and he goes on to have a long successful career at University of Minnesota because that will mean good things are happening here. As of right now though I see some stability after the craziness that was the end of the Brewster regime but I also see a program that has not been competitive in the majority of its conference games over the past few years. I see a team that looks like it may struggle to find 2 conference wins this season to get to the low end accomplishment of getting to a bowl game. I see recruiting classes that don't stack up on paper against the teams we are in direct competition with (stars are not everything but the only reason many in here want to dismiss them entirely is because they don't benefit our favorite squad). And finally I see a head coach with a serious health issue that has kept him off the sidelines for 1 1/2 games this season so far through 6 weeks. I love the U of M, I'm an alum and in the end I want the team to win, I am just not sold the guy in charge right now is the one who will get it done. In the end I hope I'm proven wrong, only time will tell.

So are you are saying that you are not a fan of Jerry Kill? I am shocked! In all seriousness, I certainly don't know if he will succeed either and like you, I hope you are proven wrong. Only time will tell.

I know far more about the inner workings of the Minnesota football program than you can imagine

OOOHH, I didn't realize we have a big-shot insider on our hands! So, Mr. Big Shot Insider, how's the mood around the team in the bye week? When's Coach Kill going to be back in the office? How's recruiting going? When can we expect the next commit? How's the team dealing with the uncertainty at QB? I expect thorough and detailed responses to each of these questions, Mr. Big Shot Insider.

Go Gophers!!

It's great that Kaler is supportive, but RBtL, there is the message that the current situation is unsustainable. If Kill's condition prevents him from doing ALL of his duties, then the situation will need to be addressed. It's fortuitious that Kill's recuperation is coming during a bye week so he can rest at home. But what if this was the week before the Wisconsin game. Or do you want Kill being on bed rest in January during the height of recruiting season?

I truly hope Kill succeeds. Both for the team's sake as well as Kill deserves the chance. But this can't continue indefinitely.

OOOHH, I didn't realize we have a big-shot insider on our hands! So, Mr. Big Shot Insider, how's the mood around the team in the bye week? When's Coach Kill going to be back in the office? How's recruiting going? When can we expect the next commit? How's the team dealing with the uncertainty at QB? I expect thorough and detailed responses to each of these questions, Mr. Big Shot Insider.

Never claimed to have that kind of info...sorry to disappoint you.

I know what I am talking about but I am not going to waste my time attempting to justify myself or what I know to the likes of you, who will just shout me down anyway because I don't see eye to eye with you and we all know you are never wrong about anything.

I state my opinions, you can like them or not like them agree with them or not agree with them, I really don't care. I am a fan of the Gopher football team, that doesn't mean I am required to be a fan of Jerry Kill. I was a fan long before he got here and I will be a fan long after he is gone.

Top Bottom